Old 28th March 2006, 03:58   #1
UW_Terence

How to convert Shoutcast audio stream into RTSP ?

My radio station has been using Shoutcast since the beginning.

However, as 3G mobile phones are getting more popular, we like to extend our reach to them. The problem is that some (if not most) of them wouldn't play live audio streams that are delivered over HTTP, so a Shoutcast stream (mp3 delivered over HTTP) wouldn't work.

I did a little test... If you enter the URL (http://...) of a MP3 file into such cell phone, it would download the entire file instead of playing it on the fly. On the other hand, I do know that RTSP streams work in this situation.

So I wonder if there is any software that can convert Shoutcast audio stream into RTSP.

If there isn't such software, are there any alternatives?

Any idea on this would be great~! Thanks.
UW_Terence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2006, 05:15   #2
MegaRock
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to MegaRock Send a message via Yahoo to MegaRock
Nothing that I know of would work in this manner short of installing the Real Player encoders and running a RA server. Might want to consider testing it with Windows Media Player using an .asx or .wax type file.

Megarock Radio - St. Louis Since 1998!
Tune In Now!
Corporate Radio Sucks! No suits, all rock!
MegaRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2009, 19:45   #3
derickito

You can use VLC

If you use this command VLC will transcode the stream. This command that I'm using is not for RSTP, but you can modify this command, by looking at this link: http://wiki.videolan.org/Transcode

./vlc <input> --sout "#transcode{vcodec=FLV1,acodec=mp3}:std{access=http,dst=0.0.0.0:8081/stream.flv}"
derickito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2009, 23:05   #4
Greg_E
Major Dude

You will still want an RTSP server like QTSS or Darwin and it needs to be LATM encoded too (whatever that means).

Note that even though Nokia helped form the 3GP standards around rtsp streams, they still do not support it in their radio listings for the Nokia player. They do request that smaller bit rates be used and suggest that aac+ is best because you can get good stereo rates down to 32k with aac+v2.

Your mileage may vary!
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2009, 19:47   #5
kdh

Send a message via AIM to kdh
vlc will do it. check out the videolan/vlc forums. Lots of help over there on how to do it.

i spent about 10 hours last night getting shoutcast to work with DSS/Darwin Streaming Server so I could do the same but with video with Iphones but Iphones do not support quick time streaming just yet. =\
kdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2009, 19:58   #6
Greg_E
Major Dude

Yeah, funny how that works... QT doesn't support a QT stream, but the stupid things will play utube videos all day long.

Your mileage may vary!
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Discussions