Old 8th July 2012, 03:33   #1
carinilumpyhead

Winamp Pro 5.63 Dies Silently (No Error)

I'm running WA Pro 5.63 (launched clean directly from installer/no plugins) on an HP G60t-600 CTO Laptop, Pentium Dual-Core T4400 2.20 GHZ Processors, Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) SP1 [Specs are provided in attachments]. Winamp has been my player of choice since I purchased the Pro license in Feb of 2010. Never ANY troubles whatsoever....
Until a couple weeks ago: If I play audio while my library is running its initial scan, it will play choppy for somewhere between 4-13 minutes, on average (yes, i've been clocking), and then suddenly without any notice or error code it just dies completely--winamp, the agent, & the elevator. Icons are cleaned from sys tray, and no evidence of winamp having been running at all.
If i don't play media & just let the library scan, it will die the same way about 40% thru all folders (entire library contains 27,000+ .mp3 tracks @ 184 GB), scanning roughly 75 GB of media. While its active the memory usage in task manager exceeds 1.7 million bytes (whereas most other processes max at less than 50,000). Setting won't save, backup tool won't save settings that can be restored. Please help.
Attached Files
File Type: txt hijackthis 2.txt (12.9 KB, 155 views)
File Type: txt DxDiag.txt (38.5 KB, 171 views)
File Type: txt System Info Detail.txt (1.9 KB, 196 views)
carinilumpyhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2012, 08:12   #2
Rocker
Hiding in plain sight (mod)

Quote:
Drive: C:
Free Space: 31.8 GB
Total Space: 291.9 GB
File System: NTFS
Model: ST9320325AS

Drive: D:
Free Space: 0.3 GB
Total Space: 13.1 GB
File System: NTFS
Model: ST9320325AS
I think a lot of your problem is the lack of hard disk space left on your machine. Your machine is doing a lot more work than it needs to. 31Gb (about 10% left) is not a lot of space left over on the partition where your swap file is also located.
Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2012, 16:19   #3
carinilumpyhead

Thank you so very much, Rocker, for the feedback. I appreciate it immensely. At the risk of sounding snyde, I had already considered disk space as an issue. Normally I don't carry quite so much media on my internal hdd, but at that moment I was transcoding several projects for someone and thus was inundated with data balast. The problem also happens with a tiny media cache and free space approaching 70% as well. I'm running out of ideas to troubleshoot, as winamp is and has been my primary media console for several years. But alas, as of late it is acting in a peculiar manner. I've even tried reverting to old 5.5 and 5.62 installers with no plugs and strictly default settings. This tells me that my system is the issue; yet every diagnostic i've tried, every troubleshooter, all come up with inconclusive prognoses. There just isn't ever any error code anywhere--not even hidden within windows error reporting!!!! ONLY TWO applications offer trouble: winamp (recently) and iTunes. I'd greatly appreciate any kind of ideas as to how to mitigate this disaster, no matter how unorthodox or seemingly hare-brained.
Again, thank you for your time and brain power. Rock on.......
carinilumpyhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2012, 03:47   #4
Rocker
Hiding in plain sight (mod)

this is what i'd do(and have done before with problems like this)

purchase an external hard disk for all the stuff I don't use very often so it can be archived. (or set up your own personal server so you can always access your stuff via wifi or the internet) or backup everything just in case you want to wipe your hard disk and start with a fresh widows install(sometimes its easier than wasting time trying to fix everything)

clean reinstall winamp as per the faq and reinstall the latest version(it has way less bugs)

run disk cleanup <-- you might be able to recover some disk space

uninstall all the old software that you don't use anymore.

run spybot<-- this will get rid of all sorts of nasties

I think it would be good to clean up any programs that load up at boot that you don't need(this frees up lots of ram)
start --> accessories--> run --> type "msconfig" --> go to the startup tab

uncheck things that you know you don't use very often(you can always go back and turn the ones that you need back on later if you run into issues)
Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support