Old 23rd April 2007, 05:45   #1
medsine

Some listeners can't hear the sound.

I've broadcasted MP3 from a ShoutCast Server for a week. Everything goes smoothly with WINAMP, JetAudio, and WMP; however, there are a few listeners can't hear the sound. Some can listen to the radio at home, but not at the office (using the same laptop). Some can't hear from my webpage with WMP embeded,but can do with WINAMP. Some can't hear it with any means. Is there anything dealing with their ISPs? Please advise.

Last edited by medsine; 23rd April 2007 at 08:00.
medsine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2007, 20:35   #2
Nick@ss

if they cannot listen for whatever reason and others can i would suggest they have firewalls at the office that do not allow this kind of activity.
Nick@ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2007, 05:11   #3
medsine

Thanks, but do you know how they tachnically block the stream? Some listeners complain that they can listen to another webradio stations using the same ISP's that prevent them from my station.

There is another question. I came across the way to calculate the maximum listeners from this website. I checked my bandwidth as suggested and calculated the max listeners as stated. The result was surprisingly low. How come people invest resources for a very few listeners? I did maintain the default max listeners (32) to see what would happen. In the past week, I've had a peak of 26 listeners listened simultaneously. No complains. Is there anything wrong with the formula or the websites which checked my bandwidth gave me inaccurate result or I missed something I should know about this calculation?
Old 25th April 2007, 07:13   #4
Nick@ss

what is your upstream?

this is starting to sound like a lack of bandwidth..
Nick@ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2007, 01:25   #5
medsine

Here is my latest test result from testmy.net,

Your connection is: 343 Kbps or 0.3 Mbps
You uploaded at: 42 kB/s
You are running: 6 times faster than 56K and can upload 1 megabyte in 24.38 second(s)

I'm streaming mp3 using 24 kbps 16 kHz.
Old 27th April 2007, 01:30   #6
tuckerm
Forum Emo

You can support roughly 1 listener at 24k.
tuckerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2007, 01:33   #7
medsine

Last night I reached 28 peak listeners without any problems on both sides. How come?
Old 27th April 2007, 13:10   #8
tuckerm
Forum Emo

Maybe your connection is fluctiating. The test above shows you cannot most certainly do that nor can almost any home connection could do that.
Old 27th April 2007, 16:41   #9
medsine

Current Stream Information
Server Status: Server is currently up and public.
Stream Status: Stream is up at 24 kbps with 20 of 100 listeners (19 unique)
Listener Peak: 28
Average Listen Time: 38m 21s

I did broadcast from my bedroom, using my home internet. I also asked my friends to broadcast from their places to make my station live all day, 18 hours a day. They also use thier internet home connections. This has been done for a week now. It's under a trial period. If I can only have 1 listenner as stated, I will quit. But, what we have now is not only 1 max listener.

I concern about the number of listeners, I almost quit broadcasting using shoucast server when I calculated the max listeners. At that time I had more than 10 listeners not 1 or 2 as calculated. It's worth trying with the defalut 32. Now I change the limit to 100 to see what would happen next when I have the max listenters far more than the default value of 32. So far so good.

Please, if anyone can straight this out. What is the exception, if any, of the formula given here? I desperately want to know what is my real max listeners.

My first question about the problem of some of my audience who cannot connect to my station is also still wating for any advise that I can setup the shoucast server to solve this problem. Thank you for all for the answers.

Last edited by medsine; 27th April 2007 at 17:05.
Old 27th April 2007, 21:54   #10
tuckerm
Forum Emo

They are listening but are prolly getting extremely bad buffer. I would check out some stream hosts
Old 28th April 2007, 01:07   #11
medsine

They are listening with clear sound and continuosly without any interuption, except those who use a very very low speed internet connection. I have a chat room that I can know their feedbacks during streaming. So far, I have not had any problem with my streaming. I just want to figure out my real max listeners since the calculated number of 1 or 2 doesn't match my real situation. Thanks anyway.
Old 28th April 2007, 02:21   #12
tuckerm
Forum Emo

Something isn't adding up though. Do another speed test.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Discussions