Old 22nd September 2007, 12:05   #121
TheUniqueTiger

Quote:
Originally posted by fiish
A small issue with the album art system in Winamp. It shows when MP3 songs from different albums are in the same folder. If there isn't any album art jpeg in the folder, everything's fine, no art. However, if one of the songs has album art assigned to it, then the other songs from that folder show that same art, even if they are from different albums (which makes the album art incorrect for them). Editing the tag to delete the album art from those songs does not work.
Please have the album art as %album%.* instead of folder.* or cover.*
That should solve your problem.

You have only One Life... So before You are History, make sure you get into History books. - TheUniqueTiger
My personal website, HiFiBB ... Simply Hifi!, HiFiBB
Old 22nd September 2007, 12:09   #122
DrO

Quote:
Originally posted by xamphear
While downloading a podcast, the "Downloading..." status line throws itself on top of whatever is supposed to actually display in that lower area, be it buttons or other text. I've attached an image showing it.
from investigation, this looks very much like a ml_ipod view as the native ml_pmp has no 'sort' button in any of it's resources/handling. from what i can tell it's when the view using dialog resource id 222 is active so you'll need to bring this up with the ml_ipod team (i just don't have the time to look into this issue any further myself).

if you're not using ml_ipod to have that issue then you'll need to give us exact details on how to reproduce the issue

-daz
Old 22nd September 2007, 12:11   #123
jph6t
Major Dude

File Info window - BPM field

Was it with the release of the v5.5 BETA that the BPM field was added to ID3v2 fields exposed via the File Info window? I couldn't find a reference to BPM in any of the change logs.

I see that Auto-Tag sometimes grabs a value for this field. Out of curiosity, is anyone aware of a good means for calculating the BPM when NOT available via Auto-Tag?
Old 22nd September 2007, 12:19   #124
synthetiq

just a question i've mentioned before but my Portables menu in ML was disabled (it's hide) by me, and dunno how to bring it back, even with no portable inserted.
Old 22nd September 2007, 12:29   #125
flocksoft
Major Dude

@synthetiq

have you removeved the ml_pmp.dll or pmp_type_of_your_device.dll files?

in winamp.ini, go in ml_pmp section, and edit the hideroot value to 0
Quote:
[ml_pmp]
HideRoot=0
Old 22nd September 2007, 12:43   #126
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

@jph6t

Yeah, BPM was added in 5.5 beta

I didn't think it warranted its own whatsnew entry, because it's all part of the new file editor (ie. there's also a BPM field in the Basic Info tab, for all of mp3, wma, ogg, flac, m4a).

As for calculating it, I just use the "watch a clock/timer and count the 4/4 beat over 30 seconds, and multiply it by 2" method.

Sometimes I do 15 secs x 4, or if it's a more tricky one, the full 60 secs.
Old 22nd September 2007, 12:43   #127
waxmachine

Hi!

When I plug in my Sansa Express MP3 player, Winamp still crashes like it did in all versions since 5.35 or so. What a pity

Hope this will be fixed until final.

Bye
Michel
Old 22nd September 2007, 12:50   #128
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

@waxmachine
Can you send us any detailed crash/error logs?
Please provide us with as much information as possible.
We don't have a test Sansa Express (don't suppose you could mail us yours?) ;-) :-D
Old 22nd September 2007, 12:53   #129
jph6t
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
@jph6t
As for calculating it, I just use the "watch a clock/timer and count the 4/4 beat over 30 seconds, and multiply it by 2" method.
LOL!

If this is the only way ... then I gotta pile work ahead of me.

With a ML containing like a weeks worth of music, I think I'm gonna have to take a leave of absence from my job to get this task crossed off. Do they have grant programs you can apply to which fund this kinda of work?
Old 22nd September 2007, 13:01   #130
waxmachine

Quote:
[B]@waxmachine
Can you send us any detailed crash/error logs?
I would like to, but Winamp says: "Error. Unable to run reporter".

I found two files in my root directory: _crash.dmp and _crash.log. Are these the files you need? Do you need any more files? How shall I send them to you? I don't really want to post them in the forum where they can be viewed by anyone.

Thanks for you help
Michel
Old 22nd September 2007, 14:00   #131
synthetiq

Quote:
Originally posted by flocksoft
@synthetiq

have you removeved the ml_pmp.dll or pmp_type_of_your_device.dll files?

in winamp.ini, go in ml_pmp section, and edit the hideroot value to 0
i have not removed any ml_pmp.dll or pmp_type_of_your_device.dll files...

but editing the winamp.ini works here.
i was expecting to find an option in Preferences to bring this menu of portables back in ML.

thanks
Old 22nd September 2007, 14:51   #132
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

@jph6t
http://www.google.com/search?q=bpm+calculator

@synthetiq
The right click option is "Hide this icon when no portables are attached".
Are you saying that the Portables root doesn't reappear when you reconnect your portable device(s)?

@waxmachine
Yes. Those are the crash logs we need.
It should be safe enough to just zip up the two files and attach them to a post here (Attachment feature available via 'Post A Reply' button).
If you're not happy with doing this for whatever reason then click the "pm" button under this post, send me a Private Message, and I'll reply with an email address where you can send the zip.
Old 22nd September 2007, 15:09   #133
flocksoft
Major Dude

Quote:
I didn't think it warranted its own whatsnew entry, because it's all part of the new file editor (ie. there's also a BPM field in the Basic Info tab, for all of mp3, wma, ogg, flac, m4a).
being part of the new file editor should be nice to have also a BPM column in the Media LIbrary

@jph6t
a free mp3 BPM calculator (accurate? I don't known) saving thr BPM in id3v2.x tags:
- (product page, requires registration) http://www.mixmeister.com/download_freestuff.html
- (direct download) http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multime...Analyzer.shtml
Old 22nd September 2007, 15:24   #134
synthetiq

Quote:
@synthetiq
The right click option is "Hide this icon when no portables are attached".
Are you saying that the Portables root doesn't reappear when you reconnect your portable device(s)?

[/B]
@DJ Egg

No, i don't even have a portable device.
i was just wondered how to make it reappear there (the menu) even with no device.
because if we have an option to "hide", guess would be logic to have an option to show it again

thankx
Old 22nd September 2007, 15:34   #135
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Quote:
being part of the new file editor should be nice to have also a BPM column in the Media Library
True. I guess a BPM column could/should be added now.
We shall see....

@synthetiq

Hmm, but thinking about it logically, you should only be checkmarking that option if you had a portable device/drive in the first place.

The option is to hide the Portables node unless a portable is connected.
So if you checkmark that option, then the Portables node will only reappear when your portable is connected.

It makes perfect sense to me.

If, like you, someone accidentally checkmarks it, for whatever reason, then the solution for now is to edit winamp.ini

I do tend to agree though that it would also make good sense to add it as an option in Prefs > Portables.
Old 22nd September 2007, 15:55   #136
kzuse

Send a message via ICQ to kzuse Send a message via Skype™ to kzuse
[OT]Automatic BPM Calculation is always inaccurate as not every piece of music does make its beat so obvious as have a pulsing intensity in the bass frequencies (as techno does for example).

What about Jazz or, even, classical music?
It simply won't work.

But I find "counting the beats" is also a little bit... complicated (or at least I'm to lazy to do that ) - So I always use this little program I found someday in the german usenet. (see attached file). Its just a little 108 KB exe file in which you have to click in the beat of the music and it displays the BPM. It also runs on Windows 3.11 and I'm using it since those old days

(Note that it's in German, but you don't have to read any text in it. It also lacks the help file so the first time you start it you get an error message). Have fun
[/OT]
Attached Files
File Type: zip bpm.zip (53.4 KB, 1301 views)
Old 22nd September 2007, 16:05   #137
flocksoft
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by kzuse
What about Jazz or, even, classical music?
It simply won't work.
and what about '70s progressive music with odd times signatures and tempo changes?
Old 22nd September 2007, 16:44   #138
synthetiq

Just an idea:
how about an upgrade to the skin browser ?
for eg: in Bento we have tabs for media libray, video, visualisation and browser..why not make another tab to a skin browser were we could see a thumbnail image of the instaled skins and click to switch or delete the skin!

or even make this under the Preferences skins menu ...

it's just an idea..
thankx
Old 22nd September 2007, 16:48   #139
Stone Free

Just had a crash enqueing files.

Report Attached

[Edit --> DJ Egg]
Report invalid. Too many 3rd-party plugins present.
Attached Files
File Type: zip report.zip (42.1 KB, 477 views)
Old 22nd September 2007, 16:52   #140
jph6t
Major Dude

Re: File Info window - BPM field

Quote:
and what about '70s progressive music with odd times signatures and tempo changes?
So it looks like the follow up question in my post looking to confirm the addition of the BPM field in the latest BETA triggered a bit of a thread hijack. My bad all.

So to keep this thread on topic, and for the sake of DJ Egg's sanity,
please take the discussion about BPM calculation methods to the thread I created here:

Last edited by jph6t; 22nd September 2007 at 17:20.
Old 22nd September 2007, 16:52   #141
JP The Wanderer

Send a message via AIM to JP The Wanderer
Quote:
Originally posted by Perseid
Is this device a Creative MP3 player? If I remove all of the songs from my Nomad Zen 20GB the device freaks out and would probably take out Winamp if it were to happen.
No, sansa, as stated in the post. =P

Thanks, DJ Egg. I mentioned a sansa bug about a "could not create folder" in the previous thread but that wasn't winamp's problem. I got that fixed.
Old 22nd September 2007, 16:52   #142
TheUniqueTiger

Well, sad news DJ Egg... Another crash, this time with album art in GIF format, absolutely similar to the previous with PNG.

dhoom.gif
Attached Files
File Type: zip report.zip (58.8 KB, 425 views)

You have only One Life... So before You are History, make sure you get into History books. - TheUniqueTiger
Old 22nd September 2007, 17:27   #143
danburd

Thanks for the reply about the tagger, DJ Egg. Out of the 200 or so songs that I tagged, only one was a bona fide mistake -- that of repeatedly insisting that Howie Day's "In the Sun" was Rihanna's "Music of the Sun." The other twenty or so mistaken tags were clearly due to a bug, because the incorrect tag information was duplicated off of other songs in the playlist. The correct tags could usually be obtained by isolating the songs on a playlist and then using the tagger.

Other than the bug, the tagger works great. The interface is good and the tags are generated very quickly, and almost always accurately. I'm looking forward to the next beta, where hopefully the tag duplicating bug will be fixed. Thanks!
Old 22nd September 2007, 17:36   #144
Forgotten00

Send a message via AIM to Forgotten00
Alas, I found yet another bug! Of course I submitted the bugreport but I'm posting in here to just inform you all.

When you set the preferences to scroll title in Windows taskbar, the "scrolling" never completes it's cycle. It keeps skipping or jittering back to the beginning.

I noticed this on both Preview 1 and 2.
Old 22nd September 2007, 18:35   #145
soulstace

Quote:
@soulstace
Hmm, can you confirm that it's the Time Restore & Autoplay plugin (gen_timerestore.dll) that's causing the loading/cpu problem? eg. does the problem persist after removing that dll? If not, then please disable all of the other plugins included in the Essentials Pack, one at a time, until you find the culprit(s).
The Time Restore plugin causes the seekbar issue illustrated in the screenshot I posted a few posts back.

After further testing, it is the Nullsoft Waveform Wrapper v1.0 that causes winamp to hang at 99% CPU. I tracked it down by uninstalling/reinstalling the Essentials pack over and over (one plugin at a time).

If you need any more help testing/fixing these issues, just let me know.
Old 22nd September 2007, 18:42   #146
DrO

bleh, once again it's the wrapper plugin which i've not been able to reproduce the cpu lockup issue on at all i guess i've got to blindly see what i can find in the code that might cause such an issue (oh joy)

as for the comment about time restore and the statusbar... what screenshot are you refering to since i've lost track with the mass of ones posted in this thread already.

-daz
Old 22nd September 2007, 18:50   #147
soulstace

http://stashbox.org/38352/seeker.png

I'm not sure why winamp hangs either. All I know is that it is 100% reproducable on my XP machine. I posted the steps I use to reproduce it.

I will try it on my Vista laptop machine soon to see if it happens there too. (It has an Intel cpu instead of AMD)
Old 22nd September 2007, 18:54   #148
Rocker
Hiding in plain sight (mod)

Quote:
Originally posted by kzuse
But I find "counting the beats" is also a little bit... complicated (or at least I'm to lazy to do that ) - So I always use this little program I found someday in the german usenet. (see attached file). Its just a little 108 KB exe file in which you have to click in the beat of the music and it displays the BPM. It also runs on Windows 3.11 and I'm using it since those old days
the vorbis decoder about box. click on the fish a few times.

old feature.
Old 22nd September 2007, 19:10   #149
DrO

Quote:
Originally posted by soulstace
http://stashbox.org/38352/seeker.png
that's a gen_ff issue from what i can tell with it not tracking the current file playing position correctly when restored on startup so isn't a time restore issue from my view point. winamp modern also exhibits the same issue as well from what i can see so does look like it's a gen_ff issue

-daz
Old 22nd September 2007, 19:24   #150
soulstace

Winamp is hanging on my Vista machine as well. It's a totally different machine.

Intel Core Duo, 1GB DDR2, GeForce Go 7600, Vista HP (x86)

My desktop is;

AMD 3000+, 1.5GB DDR, GeForce 6600GT, Windows XP Pro SP2 (x86)

Edit - I documented the steps in this post in case you are looking for them.
Old 22nd September 2007, 19:56   #151
DrO

alas i've followed those directions and i still can't get it to lock up. i'm working through the plugin's code at the moment so will look at giving you a test build at some point in the next day or so inorder to get a better idea of where things are going wrong

-daz
Old 22nd September 2007, 20:05   #152
soulstace

How many songs in your library/playlist (before you clear them)? My playlist actually had ALL tracks from the library in it. Also, is your winamp set to show in system tray instead of taskbar (mine is).

Try this alternative method; clean install of winamp. Set it to run in your system tray instead of taskbar. Set it always on top. Now follow steps all the way to step 4. Before you do step 5, install the waveform wrapper plugin from the essentials pack, then load winamp. This is where winamp.exe hangs (99% CPU) for me every time (until I actually "End task" winamp.exe, uninstall the essentials pack waveform plugin, then all is fine again and winamp starts normally).
Old 22nd September 2007, 20:21   #153
DrO

is 6000 tracks and i've followed what you've said but this seems very much like a stand on one foot and pat your head bug where only a few will be able to see the issue. i even tried it on the old p3 laptop i've got and that worked without a hitch as well.

all i can guess for the moment is that either it's completely failing to load the in_wave.trb dll correctly or it's possibly failing in the detection of files to handle if a invalid name is passed (since winamp can at times send a fake filename to check support for things). i'll be able to get a better idea of what's going on once i've got a test build for working with

-daz
Old 22nd September 2007, 20:22   #154
xamphear

Quote:
Originally posted by DrO
if you're not using ml_ipod to have that issue then you'll need to give us exact details on how to reproduce the issue

-daz
The view was indeed ml_ipod, but that plugin has nothing to do with the issue. I simply screencapped that view because it showed the "Downloading..." text over buttons which made for a very clear example of the issue.

This should be unambiguous: I disabled the ml_ipod plugin by removing it from the plugins folder. I then reproduced the error and captured a full screenshot in the ML view. See attached.

Steps to reproduce: Download a podcast. Switch to another view.

Also visible: Crazy font problem.
Attached Images
File Type: png again.png (34.6 KB, 392 views)
Old 22nd September 2007, 20:27   #155
soulstace

Ok, you can send me a test build with lots of debugging code in it

Also, I am having the dreaded Vista lockup issue as many others have stated. Maybe I can help track that down as well.
Old 22nd September 2007, 21:10   #156
TheUniqueTiger

This ones regarding the Auto-tagger...
When I select multiple files of an album and send them to auto tagger, it fetches the information, but some files have mismatched information. (Info for one file is shown for the other and so on.) Some files do get the correct information.
However when I individually send each of such mismatched files to the auto tagger, it fetches the correct information for that file. So I guess its a problem related to the way it sends/requests the information... I've experienced this with 3 albums now so I'm sure it works wrongly only on sending multiple files.

Old 22nd September 2007, 21:15   #157
TheUniqueTiger

Quote:
Originally posted by TheUniqueTiger
Well, sad news DJ Egg... Another crash, this time with album art in GIF format, absolutely similar to the previous with PNG.

[Edit --> DJ Egg]
Please also provide a link to the faulting GIF.
Use stashbox.org (mediafire borked on me last time).
I didn't notice your edit earlier... The GIF is only 8KB, so I'm attaching here itself... I don't remember whether I sent you the report for this file, out of the 4-5 GIFs I have... so I'm attaching this most likely one. However it does crash on all those 5 GIFs.
Attached Images
File Type: gif dhoom.gif (7.5 KB, 682 views)

Old 22nd September 2007, 22:17   #158
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Winamp Essentials Pack 5.5 Beta 3 released

Full Changelog

Downloads: | Mirror 1 | Mirror 2 | Mirror 3

Changes since last beta:

* New: [Installer] PortugueseBR translation from Cleiton
* Improved: [Installer] installer shows compile date and time at bottom
* Improved: [Installer] removed credits from the section descriptions
* Fixed: [Installer] small typo in English Welcome Page (5.5 Beta related issue)
* Updated: Skins In Submenu to v1.9
* Updated: [enc_vorbis] to fit with the new Winamp translation system
* Updated: [Installer] Polish, Spanish, Turkish, Russian, French and German translations to v1.06

The new Beta includes an update for DrO's Skin In Submenu Plug-in. If you've downloaded one of the previous Betas, it's strongly recommended to install this version.

For more infos about the changes visit DrO's Website.

http://www.nunzioweb.com/daz/releases.html

I'm still looking for translations, if you're able to translate the installer in your language, just take a look at this thread:

Looking for Essentials Pack translations.
Old 22nd September 2007, 23:20   #159
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

@TheUniqueTiger
Reproduced the GIF crash. Report logged. Thanks.

@danburd & TheUniqueTiger
The autotagger mismatch bugs are now fixed for the next build
(see Known Issues/Bugs section of first post)

@Forgotten00
Hmm, I couldn't reproduce the "scrolling title in the taskbar" problem.
It seems to be working fine for me. Anyone else?

@soulstace
Hmm, I can't reproduce any problems with the Waveform Wrapper or Autoplay plugins from the Essentials Pack, so I'm honestly not sure what's going on there. Looks like DrO's dealing with it anyway, so I'll pass on this one.

Re: Vista lockup
We're pretty certain that most (if not all) these issues are caused by the DWM thumbnail support implementation for Modern skins. The code has been disabled in the latest internal builds, and if we can't come up with an alternative, it will have to stay that way until a better solution is found.

@xamphear
Hmm, weird. I can't reproduce the 'podcast - downloading display glitch' issue.
Note that the weird bold font bug is fixed for the next build
(Known Bugs/Issues section of the first post has been updated accordingly).
Old 22nd September 2007, 23:30   #160
soulstace

Yeah, I stumbled across the hang issue when clearing my library/playlist. I was actually trying to reproduce a bug xamphear had mentioned, but ran across a different bug in the process. Most people probably do not clear their library very often so this should not be a major issue.
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion