Old 25th September 2007, 21:00   #241
DrO

issues with 3rd party skins aren't covered in this thread and generally the fonts in the skins are down to whatever the skin maker has decided on - is in general nothing that's related to the winamp/gen_ff core i believe. i'm sure i'll be corrected by someone if i'm wrong on that assumption.

the reporter not working on all systems is known (it's working better than before and dumps are being produced and provided) but bear in mind that it is only distributed in the beta versions and will not be part of a final release (winamp.exe is built with relevant support disabled in final releases for allowing gen_crasher to work).

-daz
Old 25th September 2007, 21:01   #242
soljarag

So, now that winamp has an offical SUI is there a chance you are going to add a feature that will allow you to use the medialibrary as a playlist? IE so it doesnt reload the playlist every time you double click on a song... I have 31,000 songs and it takes forever to reload it
Old 25th September 2007, 21:20   #243
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

@soljarag

Winamp > Prefs > Media Library > Library Options tab
Uncheck "Play all search results on double click in media views"

You can even hide the Playlist, if you want.

@Mecha25

Re: 3rd-party modern skins
Winamp > Prefs > Skins > Modern Skins > Font Rendering tab
Is the Internal TTF Renderer (FreeType) enabled?
Only older skins (pre WasabiXML v1.3) use the internal renderer, but only if that setting is enabled. If it IS enabled, then I guess the skin itself is to blame, or needs updating...

Re: DWM thumbnails
Yes, it looks like we'll be removing support for now, until we can find a better solution.
Better to have the Classic skin showing in the thumbs/flip3d than to have Winamp bringing the whole system down....

Re: Bento skin
Winamp Main menu > Options > Playlist > Show album art if playlist is enlarged
Old 25th September 2007, 22:09   #244
testify

DJ, hopefully this will give you some idea of what I'm talking about. The top portion of the image shows the Windowshade mode version with visualization. The bottom portion of the image shows the window after I have disabled visualization (right click on the visualization panel -> Check No Visualization) and resized the window. After a little more testing, the blank visualization panel does disappear, but only after the song scroller gets small enough.

I understand it's not a big issue, but in the case of Windowshade mode, couldn't you just lose the visualization panel entirely if visualization is turned off?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg novis.jpg (11.3 KB, 323 views)
Old 25th September 2007, 22:29   #245
screamin_jesus

Quote:
Originally posted by soulstace
@screamin_jesus

Is your car's cd player mp3 player or just old fashion cda/wav/pcm player like mine?

Older version of Winamp would automatically convert my songs into wav format to play in my car. I'm not sure what the new version does. Maybe it is writing mp3s to your cd but your player isn't mp3 compatible?

Explore the cd in "My Computer" and see what file extension the tracks have.
Is there a difference in the way winamp burns cd's, vs Windows Media player? Not sure if my car's cd player is mp3 compatible or not (2000 chrysler) I'll try looking at the file types later.

[Edit --> DJ Egg]
Also see my reply here
Old 25th September 2007, 22:31   #246
Mecha25

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg

Re: 3rd-party modern skins
Winamp > Prefs > Skins > Modern Skins > Font Rendering tab
Is the Internal TTF Renderer (FreeType) enabled?
Only older skins (pre WasabiXML v1.3) use the internal renderer, but only if that setting is enabled. If it IS enabled, then I guess the skin itself is to blame, or needs updating...
[/B]
Interesting you should mention that little box, I actually had quite a bit of fun messing with it.

Almost all the skins I've seen change their fonts slightly with that box checked, some for the better, most for the worse. Quadelic does too, and in 5.35 both renders look fine. But neither one of those two font renders look like either of them do in version 5.5, because as you can see the 5.5 ones look like junk on a stick. Actually the image I attached was with the internal renderer DISabled, when you turn it on in 5.5 the fonts look even worse (if that's possible). Check what changed between 5.35 and 5.36, that's when I first noticed the problem.

<Edit>
Under Winamp Main menu > Options >
there is no "Playlist" menu, either something's weird with the skin, or the option to have large Album Art under the playlist is somewhere else.
</Edit>

Last edited by Mecha25; 25th September 2007 at 23:08.
Old 25th September 2007, 23:09   #247
Benski
Ben Allison
Former Winamp Developer

Quote:
Originally posted by Mecha25
Interesting you should mention that little box, I actually had quite a bit of fun messing with it.

Almost all the skins I've seen change their fonts slightly with that box checked, some for the better, most for the worse. Quadelic does too, and in 5.35 both renders look fine. But neither one of those two font renders look like either of them do in version 5.5, because as you can see the 5.5 ones look like junk on a stick. Actually the image I attached was with the internal renderer DISabled, when you turn it on in 5.5 the fonts look even worse (if that's possible). Check what changed between 5.35 and 5.36, that's when I first noticed the problem.

<Edit>
Under Winamp Main menu > Options >
there is no "Playlist" menu, either something's weird with the skin, or the option to have large Album Art under the playlist is somewhere else.
</Edit>
ok I know what's going on. Should be fixed for the next preview
Old 25th September 2007, 23:24   #248
Benski
Ben Allison
Former Winamp Developer

Quote:
Originally posted by Benski
ok I know what's going on. Should be fixed for the next preview
I take that back. It's actually by design. Skins can manually specify to not anti-alias fonts. Winamp3 supported this, but Winamp 5 has ignored this attribute until now. If it bothers you that much, extract the .wal file, and search the xml files for "antialias" and change the ="0" to ="1"
Old 25th September 2007, 23:28   #249
Mecha25

Quote:
Originally posted by Benski
I take that back. It's actually by design. Skins can manually specify to not anti-alias fonts. Winamp3 supported this, but Winamp 5 has ignored this attribute until now. If it bothers you that much, extract the .wal file, and search the xml files for "antialias" and change the ="0" to ="1"
THANKS! this is the best of both worlds, people can non-anti-alias fonts, and I can get the old skins looking pretty once again!
Old 25th September 2007, 23:42   #250
lin_sook

the auto tagger is great, currently tags in chinese tradtional characters, this is probably a gracenote thing, but on the otherhand, their webpage(chinese version) is in simplified. not an issue, just wanted to put thsat out.
Old 26th September 2007, 00:06   #251
soulstace

Quote:
Originally posted by screamin_jesus
Is there a difference in the way winamp burns cd's, vs Windows Media player?
I don't think I've ever actually written a cd with WMP.

DJ Egg has mentioned that Winamp should be writing in audio/data mode. So the file extensions on your cd should be .cda (which I'm pretty sure is what most standard cd players use).

Are you using a CD-R or CD-RW? And does your player actually support reading those types of disks (some do not).

I just tested 2 tracks on a CD-RW and it seemed to work fine in my car (Pioneer head unit).
Old 26th September 2007, 00:09   #252
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

@testify
Yeah, I see what you mean, but that option just turns vis off, not the placeholder. I'm not sure, but are there any skins where you can show/hide the built-in vis area placeholder?

@Mecha25
http://www.meggamusic.co.uk/winamp/s...t_albumart.jpg

[Edit] Oops, fixed url.
Old 26th September 2007, 00:11   #253
D0gmeat

Winamp is locking up on me whenever I enqueue a file (enqueue or enqueue & play same result). My setting is to add the enqueued file to the end of the queue list. I enqueue my file, scroll down to the end and highlight it. I then enqueue another file, and after a few seconds, Winamp locks up. It doesn't respond to mouse controls and I cannot shift focus to it. Same result if a file is playing or no file is playing. I disabled the jump to file option and even removed the jump to file plugin. When I installed the Preview 2 update, I had uninstalled and deleted the Winamp directory in order to do a clean install.

I am sorry if a reply/resolution was already posted; a search of the forums didn't produce any topics that matched save that it was fixed in the 1550/1568 release.

I may have to go back to the 5.35 version and uninstall the JTF plugin as that version I could enqueue files without Winamp locking up on me, as long as the JTF DLL was uninstalled.
Old 26th September 2007, 00:17   #254
soljarag

Quote:
@soljarag

Winamp > Prefs > Media Library > Library Options tab
Uncheck "Play all search results on double click in media views"

You can even hide the Playlist, if you want.

But its not acually acting like a playlist.... after it plays that one song, it stops.... I was wanting it to queue the entire list, and when i double click in the ML it act like its a playlist and not load it again
Old 26th September 2007, 00:27   #255
soulstace

D0gmeat,

Sorry, I haven't been able to reproduce that one. I just enqueued 6 songs in a row (one at a time) and Winamp is still going strong.
Old 26th September 2007, 01:01   #256
D0gmeat

@soulstace

Thanks for trying.

I tried a few things. I disabled all of the ML options (no caching, no lookup, no title updates, no auto playlist generation, etc). This seemed to fix things as I could enqueue multiple files without problems. This may be just an extension of the playlist initialization problem except that I am not getting any error messages; Winamp just locks up.

As this works for me and as I hate using the Media Library anyways, this will do.
Old 26th September 2007, 01:55   #257
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

@soljarag

Re: using ml as playlist instead of pledit

Hmm. Well, your other options are to either:

1) Load the entire ml into the playlist once, and then use:
"right-click > send to > add to queue -or- add to queue and play"
(requires options to be enabled in Prefs > Jump to File > ML Options)
instead of dbl-click.

Or

2) Keep that 'Play all search results' ml option checkmarked, and uncheck:

Prefs > Media Library > Local Media > Options tab:
Use library title info for Playlist item formatting

Maybe also uncheck "Use advanced title formatting" in Prefs > Titles,
and change "Read metadata" setting above to "only when files are played"

Prefs > Playlist: Uncheck 'When loading multiple files, sort files by name'
(might also bear some effect, though not 100% sure about that though)

Does that speed things up a bit for you?
Old 26th September 2007, 02:45   #258
screamin_jesus

Quote:
Originally posted by soulstace
I don't think I've ever actually written a cd with WMP.

DJ Egg has mentioned that Winamp should be writing in audio/data mode. So the file extensions on your cd should be .cda (which I'm pretty sure is what most standard cd players use).

Are you using a CD-R or CD-RW? And does your player actually support reading those types of disks (some do not).

I just tested 2 tracks on a CD-RW and it seemed to work fine in my car (Pioneer head unit).
CD-R, I have tested this yesterday by taking two of the same kind of cdr, burning the songs one in winamp, and one in widnows media player, only the one burned in windows media player is playing.
Old 26th September 2007, 07:33   #259
Franky_B

Quote:

@Franky_B
I can't reproduce the keyboard shortcuts problem. Are you maybe using nView?
Problem solved: I completely uninstalled, deleted program- and user settings folder and reinstalled it.

Now, as far I see, there are no bugs back.
Old 26th September 2007, 10:11   #260
kenwoods

Hi!

In the 3D Flip in Vista, the Winamp window appears cropped,
some of the playlist window and some of the media library doesn't appear in the 3D flip
Old 26th September 2007, 11:36   #261
ernstblaauw

If an album which has album art and has various artists (so each song has a different artist, like hit compilations), WinAmp ML most of the time thinks that each song is from a different CD (despite that they have the same album name).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg winamp 5.5 preview 2.jpg (83.7 KB, 270 views)
Old 26th September 2007, 11:55   #262
dkordik

Forgive me if this has been covered to death, but:

Will 5.5 eventually have an Album Art window for Classic as well?

I looked in the known issues and throughout this thread and didn't see any mention of it.
Old 26th September 2007, 12:46   #263
MaK77

don't know if it's a standard v2 tag, but would it be possible to have the Language tag into id3v2 editor?
Old 26th September 2007, 13:18   #264
jph6t
Major Dude

Re: ML entries for Albums with same title

Quote:
Originally posted by ernstblaauw
If an album which has album art and has various artists (so each song has a different artist, like hit compilations), WinAmp ML most of the time thinks that each song is from a different CD (despite that they have the same album name).
This has already been discussed a few times in this thread ... most recently here.

Sounds like you have NOT populated the values for "Album Artist" on your songs.
Each song should have Album Artist = Various Artists AND the same value for "Album".
Only then will they/should they appear together as one Album.

Last edited by jph6t; 26th September 2007 at 13:53.
Old 26th September 2007, 13:45   #265
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

@kenwoods
We're removing Flip3D/DWM Thumbnail support for modern skins, until we can find a better solution. It was causing too many crashes anyway.

@ernstblaauw
Make sure Album Artist field says Various Artists

@dkordik
Maybe, maybe not. Sorry, I don't know.

@MaK77
Language tag? Hmmm, I think there is a 3 byte ID3v2 lang field (eg. eng, ger, etc), but this is more of a Wishlist item, and I very much doubt if support will be added for Winamp 5.5
Old 26th September 2007, 13:46   #266
jph6t
Major Dude

Feature Request(s) - Auto-Tag Controls

Quote:
Originally posted by danburd
Other than the bug, the tagger works great. The interface is good and the tags are generated very quickly, and almost always accurately.
I like the Auto-Tagger too, but I'd prefer to have a little more control
on what fields it populates and to what tag (ID3v1 and/or ID3v2) it saves.

As such ... I have logged two (2) feature requests:
  1. Ability to designate which fields Auto-Tag populates
  2. Ability to designate whether Auto-Tag writes to ID3v1 and/or ID3v2 tags
As I have noted in the feature requests, there ARE end-user work arounds here
(they are just repetitive and thus time consuming). But given that these work arounds exist, these feature requests are NOT critical and could be put off for consideration
at a later date.
Old 26th September 2007, 14:00   #267
MaK77

Quote:
@MaK77
Language tag? Hmmm, I think there is a 3 byte ID3v2 lang field (eg. eng, ger, etc), but this is more of a Wishlist item, and I very much doubt if support will be added for Winamp 5.5 [/B]
Yes that should be the correct one, i know that for english people is not so important, but for foreign languages is quite important to distinguish mother-language songs from english ones, and there is still space for one tag into the editor, so that could be a good choice with a dropdown of most languages...
Old 26th September 2007, 14:07   #268
kenwoods

Is there anyway to add 2 playlist views in the media library, I have 2 many playlists and I want to categorize them...
Old 26th September 2007, 15:12   #269
danburd

Here's a bug -- when you click on "downloads" in the media library menu, and there aren't any downloads, it'll bug up the media library and it'll have display problems. Restarting Winamp fixes the problem. It might be hard to reproduce the bug because the downloads option only becomes visible once in awhile when there aren't any downloads. But it does sometimes, and clicking on it really screws things up.

Sorry that it's kind of vague, let me know if you can't reproduce this.
Old 26th September 2007, 16:01   #270
TheUniqueTiger

I was just going about changing the notfound image for Bento... Looking at the window/notfound.png as well as xml/player-elements.xml, I see that the album art shown in the large space under the playlist is the same as the 84*84 album art shown along with file info in the Multi-content view at the top (both winamp.cover.notfound84x84). I would wish for another id of notfound image like winamp.cover.notfoundlarge which by default can be the same as current but would still allow for customization for those who would like to.
I tried a large image for notfound (200*200) which showed good in the large album art view, but seemed a little distorted in the 84*84 view due to understandable decrease in quality on resizing. So I created a 84*84 image and used it but found that now the larger image was too much of bad quality to tolerate. I don't think this would be much difficult, simply add another line for larger notfound image id to the player-elements.xml and change the reference for the large album art to show this image.

(The default llama image does not differ much when resized as it has coarse outlines, however if you have an image of a perfectly circular disc, the difference in quality on resizing can be seen easily.)

You have only One Life... So before You are History, make sure you get into History books. - TheUniqueTiger
My personal website, HiFiBB ... Simply Hifi!, HiFiBB
Old 26th September 2007, 16:06   #271
testify

Quote:
@testify
Yeah, I see what you mean, but that option just turns vis off, not the placeholder. I'm not sure, but are there any skins where you can show/hide the built-in vis area placeholder?
Modern, classic and Bento all act like that. I'll have to install some 3rd party themes and check them out.
Old 26th September 2007, 16:34   #272
Kaminari

Unified File Editor: ID3v1 tags won't go away even if you uncheck the ID3v1 box in the editor.
Old 26th September 2007, 16:57   #273
TheUniqueTiger

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaminari
Unified File Editor: ID3v1 tags won't go away even if you uncheck the ID3v1 box in the editor.
Cannot reproduce your bug...

You have only One Life... So before You are History, make sure you get into History books. - TheUniqueTiger
Old 26th September 2007, 18:08   #274
upsfeup

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaminari
Is that the expected behaviour? If the checkbox is uncheck the tags are erased? (Or is just not write policy?)

[Edit --> DJ Egg]
If you uncheck "Include ID3v1 tag in file", the expected behaviour is to only remove the tag when you click OK. If you click Cancel, then the tag isn't removed. It all appears to be working properly and as expected to me.
Old 26th September 2007, 18:24   #275
TheUniqueTiger

Quote:
Originally posted by upsfeup
Is that the expected behaviour? If the checkbox is uncheck the tags are erased? (Or is just not write policy?)
I guess the tags are erased. Next time you open the file info box, it doesn't show those tags. This is the expected behavior.

Old 26th September 2007, 19:15   #276
testify

Quote:
@testify
Turns out that some 3rd party skins have the same issue, so it's probably not so much a 5.5 bug as it is a 5.x feature request. I have no idea if it would be beneficial to take the time to implement that feature, but it would certainly provide the Windowshade users with the capability to have a more minimalistic view.
Old 26th September 2007, 19:55   #277
xamphear

Found a bug in the id3v2 cover art extraction. The extraction was working perfectly, then I used foobar2k to add replaygain info to my files*, now winamp sees all the id3v2 tags EXCEPT the coverart. It even reads the added replaygain tags perfectly. (and other programs can still see the embedded coverart, so I know foobar2k didnt trash it)

I saved a copy of a sample mp3 before using foobar2k to add the replaygain, and a copy of it after the replaygain tags were added. If someone gives me the go-ahead, I'll PM them a link to a zip with both files for testing.

* because it can run dual threads and cuts the time in half
Old 26th September 2007, 22:15   #278
Mecha25

Quote:
@Mecha25
http://www.meggamusic.co.uk/winamp/s...t_albumart.jpg

[Edit] Oops, fixed url.
That is so freaking weird, that entry in the menu just isn't there for me. Must be some component I opted not to install. BTW, I assume the Enlarge Playlist is just the option to have it drop down to the full height of the screen? or is that how you got that crazy info into the playlist?
Old 26th September 2007, 22:50   #279
martin.deimos
Android/UI Development

Send a message via ICQ to martin.deimos Send a message via AIM to martin.deimos Send a message via Yahoo to martin.deimos
you need to enable both of these options!

WebSite: www.skinconsortium.com - Community for Userinterface Design & Coding
Skins: Click Here
Old 26th September 2007, 23:55   #280
Benski
Ben Allison
Former Winamp Developer

Quote:
Originally posted by xamphear
Found a bug in the id3v2 cover art extraction. The extraction was working perfectly, then I used foobar2k to add replaygain info to my files*, now winamp sees all the id3v2 tags EXCEPT the coverart. It even reads the added replaygain tags perfectly. (and other programs can still see the embedded coverart, so I know foobar2k didnt trash it)

I saved a copy of a sample mp3 before using foobar2k to add the replaygain, and a copy of it after the replaygain tags were added. If someone gives me the go-ahead, I'll PM them a link to a zip with both files for testing.

* because it can run dual threads and cuts the time in half
thanks. this has been fixed and will be working properly in the next beta
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion