Old 6th February 2009, 13:27   #241
DrO

seeing as
Quote:
* Updated: [in_mp3] Fraunhofer Decoder v4.3
is the only thing referenced and already in the beta i think we might need to buy Simfee some glasses as that was obviously missed from the first thread post.

-daz
Old 6th February 2009, 16:36   #242
mario0318

Send a message via AIM to mario0318
Winamp 5 memory management

Hey,

Not sure where this would fall in but I figured I could mention it on here.

I have no idea why this is, but I've been running Windows Vista since 2007 and now Windows 7, the player works great so far in its current beta. But my question is regarding the memory intake the program consumes.

I am glad to see this beta has huge improvements over 5.541, but I can't help noticing the program still takes up between 95k and 130k megabytes. With 5.541 this could reach 350kMB.

I know memory-wise Winamp no longer runs as well as the good ol' 2.x versions did, but is it still normal to see it take up past 100 or 200 megabytes?

BTW: Steps I used to recreate this issue would be leaving the player open for a full day or so with regular use (shuffled playlist or not) usually running with just the system tray icon enabled and keyboard shortcuts for quick access. Still, simply launching it (5.55) on first run with a clean install consumed 95kMB.
Old 6th February 2009, 17:57   #243
homes32

how big is your media library?

homes32
Old 7th February 2009, 01:51   #244
mario0318

Hi,

My media library has over 20,500 tracks.

On a very good note v5.55 has been keeping relatively low amounts of memory usage. Having had Task Manager open for most of the day I've seen it hasn't gone over 100kMB. So far it's been ideal in jumping from 40kMB to 90kMB, minimized and full view respectively.

Very nice development. With the exception of the few bugs, this is a great build so far.

Just out of curiosity, what sort of tweaks and optimizations were made in order to achieve this... and why wasn't it done sooner!

In my lifetime, we've gone from Eisenhower to George W. Bush.
We've gone from John F. Kennedy to Al Gore.
If this is evolution in terms of leadership, I believe that in twelve years we'll be voting for plants.
Old 7th February 2009, 08:19   #245
MarkRH

Here's a tip:

If you install over an existing copy of Winamp (backup everything first, please) and uncheck an install option such as Active Sync, make sure you go into the Winamp Plugins directory and rename or delete the old plug-in file that will still be there. In my case it was pmp_activesync.dll. If you don't do this, Winamp will most likely crash on startup.

So far everything seems to be running fine, even with my 5-year old plug-ins. Keep up the great work!
Old 7th February 2009, 13:10   #246
mario0318

Hmm,

Regarding the high memory usage for Winamp 5, I found installing and using the last.fm scrobbler plugin increases the overall memory usage.

From what normally was running between 50kMB and 100kMB, now with the last.fm audioscrobbler plugin, whose last stable release was in 2005, I believe, has made Winamp take over 110kMB and it hasn't gone down, even when minimized.

I know the last.fm plugin is old and hasn't had a release in a while but wouldn't it be ideal to get some development into that seeing how thousands of people use last.fm with their Winamp players? I wouldn't want to start using last.fm's new player utility to submit my track info. Neither would I want to consider moving to another player just so I can scrobble with no issues.

Still it would be disappointing if there isn't any new alternative plugin to replace ml_audioscrobbler.dll, or maybe some improvements in how this is processed?

In my lifetime, we've gone from Eisenhower to George W. Bush.
We've gone from John F. Kennedy to Al Gore.
If this is evolution in terms of leadership, I believe that in twelve years we'll be voting for plants.
Old 7th February 2009, 14:58   #247
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Sorry, but 3rd-party plugins aren't supported here.
See the "Reporting Bugs" section of the first post.
Old 8th February 2009, 11:07   #248
nustiuce13

I have a simple question. Why I can't enlarge "playlist editor" window without "media library" appear??? Why I can't have ONLY Main window and playlist editor window ??? Why? Why in "Bento" is that STUPID section between these two??

Damn man...you are like Nero and other software developers wich make from a simple software a large unusable stupidity. Now I have to find another music player just because you have this inexplicable need to complicate things.

I just want the MAIN WINDOW from winamp an PLAYLIST EDITOR window under MAIN WINDOW (In Bento Skin). That's IT! Why the hell I can't do this? It's so hard to split these windows like it happened on older versions of winamp?
Old 8th February 2009, 11:10   #249
DrO

right-click winamp to get the main popup menu -> skins -> select a different skin. simple.

-daz
Old 8th February 2009, 11:18   #250
djpete
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by nustiuce13
I have a simple question. Why the fuck I can't enlarge "playlist editor" window without "media library" appear??? Why the fruck I can't have ONLY Main window and playlist editor window ??? Why? Why the fuck in "Bento" is that STUPID section between these two??
Damn man...you are like Nero and other stupid software developers wich make from a simple software a large unusable stupidity. Now I have to find another music player just because you have this inexplicable need to complicate things.
I just want the MAIN WINDOW from winamp an PLAYLIST EDITOR window under MAIN WINDOW. That's IT! Why the hell I can't do this? It's so hard to split these windows like it happened on older versions of winamp?
Very frucking frustrating!
lol
Yes you just choose a classic skin and all is back to normal.
Also don't install anything you don't want when going through the install process.
Hopefully you can read.

Cheers, Pete

Anything & Everything Winamp - All In One Place...
Winamp Enthusiasts Group
Old 8th February 2009, 13:41   #251
pjn123
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by nustiuce13
I have a simple question. Why I can't enlarge "playlist editor" window without "media library" appear??? Why I can't have ONLY Main window and playlist editor window ??? Why? Why in "Bento" is that STUPID section between these two??

Damn man...you are like Nero and other software developers wich make from a simple software a large unusable stupidity. Now I have to find another music player just because you have this inexplicable need to complicate things.

I just want the MAIN WINDOW from winamp an PLAYLIST EDITOR window under MAIN WINDOW (In Bento Skin). That's IT! Why the hell I can't do this? It's so hard to split these windows like it happened on older versions of winamp?
Just install ClassicPro for Winamp

ClassicPro© v2.01 : This plugin allows you to use cPro skins in Winamp. ClassicPro skins are all SUI skins and loads very quickly. ClassicPro skins is even easier to skin than Winamp Classic skins. A new layout have been added since version 2.
Download ClassicPro© ==== cPro Skins ==== ClassicPro© Homepage ==== SC Forums
Old 8th February 2009, 14:31   #252
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Or if you insist on using the Bento skin...
Quote:
Notes:

3. Re: New: [Bento skin] Playlist tab (optional):
Bento skin -> Options menu -> Appearance -> Show Playlist Tab
Old 8th February 2009, 14:36   #253
SwIeRsZcZ

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
3. Re: New: [Bento skin] Playlist tab (optional):
Bento skin -> Options menu -> Appearance -> Show Playlist Tab
Could you show where is that "Playlist btn " ?? I can't see///

[Edit -> DJ Egg]

When ^that^ option is checkmarked, you will now see the following tabs in the Bento skin:
Media Library | Playlist | Video | Visualization | Browser
Old 8th February 2009, 17:53   #254
synthetiq

devteam, did you changed the colors of the icons and the default mp3 icon in this build ?
Old 8th February 2009, 19:16   #255
DrO

i don't believe there has been any changes made to the icons in a number of years (and i've not seen anything in internal changelogs).

-daz
Old 8th February 2009, 19:33   #256
synthetiq

sorry for the silly question, but : can anyone explain me how to use the dropbox?
is it a new way of playlist? i dont get it..

sorry for the question...
Old 8th February 2009, 19:58   #257
DrO

if i could answer the question about dropbox properly i would but i don't get it either, heh. all i gather is it's a temporary holding area to get files into winamp or something like that (haven't bothered to install/look at it for an age so have no idea where it's at now).

-daz
Old 8th February 2009, 20:03   #258
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Its internal name is Advanced Playlist Editor, if that helps at all...
Old 8th February 2009, 20:50   #259
SwIeRsZcZ

Quote:
Originally posted by synthetiq
devteam, did you changed the colors of the icons and the default mp3 icon in this build ?
If u want to change icons for mp3 etc. u can easily edit winamp.exe file with ResHacker and simply replace ico's.
Old 8th February 2009, 21:18   #260
Juanus
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Juanus
Quote:
AH HA!!!!

Wait... What?
Old 8th February 2009, 21:28   #261
DrO

Quote:
Originally posted by Juanus
Wait... What?
my thought as well...

-daz
Old 8th February 2009, 22:59   #262
Juanus
Major Dude

OHHHHHHHHHHH. I think I get it now.
Its the new playlist editor. And it will replace the old playlist editor with more powerful features... I think.
Old 8th February 2009, 23:01   #263
/usr/bin/Tux

I don't hope so.

Winamp user since v1.something.
Old 9th February 2009, 00:01   #264
Juanus
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by /usr/bin/Tux
I don't hope so.
I think that we are all being a little too hard on the dropbox. I just used it again for the first time since the new version and I am starting to see what is coming up. I like it. And when the "Advanced Playlist Editor" is done, I have a feeling that you wont even know the difference. But you will be able to do more.
Think of it not as a seperate application, but a new playlist editor. Thats what I am getting from it, but I could be wrong.
Old 9th February 2009, 00:49   #265
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Dude, I hope you are really wrong.
Old 9th February 2009, 03:47   #266
pjn123
Major Dude

Quote:
Wohoo! My prediction was right all along haha
Cant wait till the dropbox is implemented in full swing. Think the dropbox is a better name than playlist anyway because some users confuse the concept of the playlist editor and an actual playlist.

ClassicPro© v2.01 : This plugin allows you to use cPro skins in Winamp. ClassicPro skins are all SUI skins and loads very quickly. ClassicPro skins is even easier to skin than Winamp Classic skins. A new layout have been added since version 2.
Download ClassicPro© ==== cPro Skins ==== ClassicPro© Homepage ==== SC Forums
Old 9th February 2009, 06:03   #267
wanderingBill

Milkdrop2 triviality

In the 'Plugins\Milkdrop2\docs' folder, the milkdrop.html file still refers to the version as:

MILKDROP 2.0d (January 2008)

Will this file be updated before 5.55 goes final?

Thank you...

[Edit --> DJ Egg]
Yes, it will. Thanks :-)
Old 9th February 2009, 16:47   #268
malteser_07

hi @ all.

well, thanks to the authors for that fine work.

my "problem" is that there is still no sorting option for the album art window - which is, as a standard, always sorted by artist and then by album(name) which is understandable, but in fact looks kind of stupid if you got a discography of an artist and the covers are like mixed up instead of a more logical chronological order.

what I mean is simply sorting FIRST by column1=artist and THEN by column2=year or what so ever - like multiple sorting - wouldn't that be much more comfortable?

JUANES wrote:
"Yes, you are correct, it should go Artist - Year - Album name for the sorting option.
Currently, it goes Artist - Album - Year. And I agree it should be different."

thanks in advance, paul
Old 10th February 2009, 16:15   #269
VIPer

Send a message via ICQ to VIPer
Message box that appers as help for titles formatting is inconveniently huge. It should be better to make it look like the one from CD Ripping > Playlist Generation tab > Format Help, i.e. with scrolling.
Old 10th February 2009, 16:22   #270
DrO

viper why haven't you mentioned that before on xlat. will be looked at post 5.55 (as there is more information that needs to added in anyway).

-daz
Old 10th February 2009, 17:06   #271
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

It'd be even better if it just had a link to this instead :-)

Winamp ATF Help
Old 10th February 2009, 17:44   #272
DrO

was considering that

-daz
Old 10th February 2009, 20:39   #273
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Or to make it look even more official...

http://media.winamp.com/main/help/50...f/atf_help.htm
Old 11th February 2009, 03:02   #274
D555

Why this plugin
ezplaylist.sourceforge.net

DO NOT WORK in recent beta2 ?
Old 11th February 2009, 03:04   #275
osmosis
Major Dude

@D555: Because sometimes things have to change to get better. Inform the developers of the plugin that they'll need to update it.

Request: A little SmartView Query Language love.
Old 11th February 2009, 14:13   #276
psik0tik

I think that there's something wrong with the (new) media library database (beta 2)

I don't know how to explain it, but random tracks in the same folder have the same album art. It happened in at least 2 folders. see the attached file.

there's no jpg/png/whatever file in the folders. only one track was supposed to have this album art. (embedded cover)
Attached Images
File Type: png ml2.png (174.0 KB, 158 views)
Old 11th February 2009, 14:59   #277
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

@psik0tik

At a guess, it'll be this...

FAQ

Winamp shows wrong Album Art (due to WMP11 saving hidden/system folder.jpg files)
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=281591
Old 11th February 2009, 16:21   #278
psik0tik

my bad you're right, there's a system file, I only see hidden files with explorer.exe.
I'm going to remove this WackMediaPlayer11 right away. thanks.
Old 11th February 2009, 16:38   #279
D555

YOU WA SHOCK !
winamp.com/plugins/details/221523
Doesn't work Too !!!
Old 11th February 2009, 18:26   #280
osmosis
Major Dude

@D555: I already told you what to do above.. and now on top of that I'm going to tell you to stop bringing up plugins that don't work, that's not the purpose of this thread. Look into plugin development and you'll see that breaks in compatibility are quite common depending on how/what the plugin hooks into in Winamp.

Request: A little SmartView Query Language love.
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion