Old 19th July 2012, 20:29   #1
webthing
Forum King

The comfort of the llama

Alzheimer's and dementia patients incur an end-of-life experience that differs markedly from their care-givers. They traverse in two different worlds which might be parallel, but often don't allow them to connect as they once did. While set schedules and antipsychotic drugs are prescribed my many physicians, the idea of adding fun and animals to one's regimen is relatively new.

In a recent AARP report, one unconventional approach is seeing significant results with some late-stage Alzheimer's patient. 95-year old Laura Damuck who lives at the Life Care Center of Nashoba Valley in Littleton, Massachusetts has come to know the comfort of the llama.

The docile creature known as Travis lives in-residence at this rural nursing home and is seen here with resident Marie Waite.

Damuck, according to her daughter Linda Valentine will "smile and laugh," even when "she doesn't recognize it's a llama." The caretakers are known to sometimes leads the llamas through the halls and into the Alzheimer’s unit, where even residents who relentlessly wander stop to pet the regal creatures.

The center's executive director Ellen Levinson, whose two golden retrievers often greet visitors at the front door notes that animals have a calming effect on their patients The walls of the 27-bed Alzheimer's unit are filled with photos of animals while bird feeders hang adjacent to nearly all the facility's windows.

Oddly enough llamas can go beyond emotional support for these elderly patients. Current
medical research has indicated that "single-domain antibodies" has potential use in the treatment of Alzheimer's disease. And these antibodies are derived from llamas's VHH domain antibodies. Their antibodies are much smaller than humans which allows them to cross the blood-brain barrier (BBB) where certain dementia drugs can be administered. This research indicates that patient that have a history of Alzheimer's or those that are in the early stages can benefit the most.

The Roche Institute has launched a 3-year project to develop the new diagnostic tools and immunological probes to detect the characteristic proteins in the brain of an Alzheimer's patient to advance this research.

Pierre Lafaye of the Pasteur Institute says, "thanks to fragment of antibodies produced by the body of the lama, associated with a product of contrast, we hope to be able to visualize lesions in the brain."

With Alzheimer's disease affecting more that 5.1 million Americans and an estimated 26 million worldwide, it's comforting to know that the "circle of life" does truly exist and that if humans can benefit from one animal species, perhaps there are hundreds of others that might help us cure not only Alzheimer's but other forms of cancers. God save the llamas. Not only are they senior-citizen-friendly, they come part and parcel with what might ail you later in life.

Actress and humanitarian Susan Sarandon hugs a llama pal for Heifer International (Can anyone resist a marketing campaign that features these photogenic Andean camelids?)

Actress Susan Sarandon is promoting an organization that battles world hunger by donating dairy cows and other farm animals to subsistence farmers. It’s a simple idea and one that really can help ease poverty in areas where people struggle to nourish themselves. If you have ever visited the puna in Peru, you have seen for yourself how disadvantaged people in far-flung regions scrape by on the paltriest amounts of food.

Susan Sarandon Actress and activist

One thing that could help relieve stress and reduce conflict would be if the poorest people on the planet, the one billion of us living on less than a dollar a day, could have hope for a brighter future - better nutrition, better livelihoods so their kids can have better diets as they grow up, clean water, education, and enough income so they have the few dollars it takes to prevent a child from dying of malaria.

Simple, basic needs being met. This goes to the heart of many of the stresses that lead to strife. One of my favorite charities, Heifer International, is addressing the problem in more than 50 countries around the world, working to help subsistence farmers who are living below the poverty line improve their farm production and have sustainable sources of food. In my trips overseas I saw the choices people are forced to make.

I saw how difficult it is to get a toehold to lift yourself up from poverty because you're always struggling to feed yourself one more day. Heifer provides a toehold. It gives people a dairy cow or goat that helps them feed themselves and have a little income. That's all they need to get the little push to lift themselves up.

And then they become responsible for helping lift up a neighbor through "Passing on the Gift" of offspring of their animals and training to others in their communities.
And they do this while helping the environment and building community. And it costs so little! It's just the best possible solution to the problem of hunger.

Donate animals to poor countries through the Heifer International charity. Support an international non-profit world hunger organization.
http://www.heifer.org/

Alternative Treatments for Dementia

http://petslady.com/articles/llamas_..._elderly_57667
webthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2012, 20:36   #2
Warrior of the Light
Forum King

I'm sure that if we sent a lot of llama's, it'd help the world hunger situation a bit.

Jesus loves you [yes, you] so much, he even died for you so that you will not need to die, but live forever
Warrior of the Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2012, 23:07   #3
thinktink
Forum King

Send a message via Skype™ to thinktink
That would work only if the dictator thugs of the countries didn't "confiscate" the donations.
thinktink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2012, 23:20   #4
rockouthippie
Banned

Now I've seen it. Someone trained a llama not to bite and spit at you. Thinking about it, the people I know who have llama's: Their dogs weren't worth a shit either.

Since someone can raise a gentle llama, I'm going to have to modify my opinion of the llama and blame people for their biting, spitting beast.

Quote:
Current medical research
Do you think they can figure out what's wrong with her? Where do I donate? If nothing else, we should get her a bark collar.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2012, 02:05   #5
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

Send a message via Yahoo to Too-DAMN-Much
i'm with RoH on this one, still amazed someone trained them to not be insufferable.

I hate everyone, so you don't have to.
Too-DAMN-Much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2012, 04:16   #6
rockouthippie
Banned

Look in that llamas eyes. He's thinking. I really wanna take a chunk out of Sue. I'll try to look cute and docile... and then ha! I'm trying to think of what would happen to a dog you quartered outside that you didn't train. A dog would probably get mean too.
Old 20th July 2012, 14:10   #7
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

I still think they are adorable!
Widdykats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2012, 14:36   #8
rockouthippie
Banned

OK, if you ever get out to Oregon, TDM and I will take you out and get you spit on. If you wanna hang around and get bit, that's your prerogative.

I dunno. It always seemed to me that llamas were only domesticated in the loosest sense. They don't get along with each other. They don't get along with people. And if you leave more than one of them out with something you want them to guard, they fight each other.

So I dunno. It's almost wild. I think you'd have to be kinda nuts to take one in a nursing home. It's like chimps. Chimps are all cute, you can even domesticate them to some extent, but chimps are one of the most dangerous animals there is.

I'm really not too keen on the idea of exotic pets. If you want llamas for working that's a different thing, but I never met one that was a housepet. It's not formidable enough to be very dangerous to a man, but it'll still take a chunk out of you. And they spook about nothing.

I think predators go away laughing.... WTF was that thing!

Only nutty yuppy types would take a llama in a nursing home. They are beautiful, but they really don't belong on yuppie hobby farms. They are less trouble than horses and they keep the grass down. Goats do better. Pet? I'd like to see it.

Twits raise llamas. They are nice scenery I guess. They thrive here. It's just too much Sarah McLaughlin music and not enough farming.

If I were to have llamas it would be one llama and only one llama, and I'd give it some sheep to boss around. I'm not super keen on them being used for scenery or breeding them just to breed them.

Look at me! I'm the llama lady! I guess everyone has to have a hobby. If I were Susan Sarandon's llama, I'd probably commit llama suicide.

It's a working animal and treating it like a house pet is kinda ??? Penned up on your hobby farm biting the help?
Old 20th July 2012, 15:36   #9
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

yeah you get that same sales pitch about llamas everytime you meet someone who owns one really, which oddly enough is more people than you'd think, alpacas are surprisingly big here for people who like knitting.

though to see what a llama is really like, you have to get spit on or have it snap it's teeth at you by one of the ones the 4h club girls raise at the oregon state fair, domesticated, i still don't believe the term really applies.

Old 20th July 2012, 15:37   #10
rockouthippie
Banned

It should be out alone on a range someplace guarding sheep. It ain't a pet. 4H girls with parents that are twits. Horse people can get pretty weird too. In the finest tradition of agricultural weirdness mixed with money or celebrity.

I give you the llama. It can even decide it doesn't like your car.
Old 21st July 2012, 21:42   #11
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

The Llama is Sacred!
Old 22nd July 2012, 09:48   #12
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widdykats View Post
The Llama is Sacred!
what isn't sacred with enough drugs and religious brainwashing?

seriously, i'm pretty sure there's one religion that believes even elephant dung is sacred.

Old 22nd July 2012, 11:24   #13
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

Old 22nd July 2012, 12:51   #14
rockouthippie
Banned

TDM

Is anti-religion a religion? It seems to have some commonality. The same self righteous bullshit on a different day? Are you an anti-Jesus freak? An anti-evangelist?

As much as the "born again" want to control what you think and do, are you the same?

This is just as narrow as a very good "born again" friend of mine. You are like the other end of the peanut gallery. You guys would probably get along fine until you killed each other.

I lean on him to lighten the fuck up. I'll lean on you to lighten the fuck up. We all put our socks on one foot at a time. I'd have a beer with either one of you demons.

I can't talk either of you out of your delusions about each other. You both violate my fathers third commandment. My dad, Barney, had three commandments.

1. Don't lie
2. Don't steal
3. Don't be mean!

I have a hell of a time with that third one myself.

Lol.

Last edited by rockouthippie; 22nd July 2012 at 14:24.
Old 22nd July 2012, 21:07   #15
Warrior of the Light
Forum King

[obligatory]

[/obligatory]

Jesus loves you [yes, you] so much, he even died for you so that you will not need to die, but live forever
Old 22nd July 2012, 23:32   #16
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

*Clap* **Clap* *Clap*

Hi, baby, Rachel!♥
Old 23rd July 2012, 03:38   #17
rockouthippie
Banned

You fucking bit me. Smack. I won't have to knock you on your ass until tomorrow because you're so fucking stupid you won't remember getting thumped. After I remind you with a left upper cut, you'll avoid the left upper cut and then I'll kick you in the head. Llamas have a hard time understanding... you can't win. Do not bite me or I will smoke your ass. Seems to like getting knocked on their ass.

Dogs understand basic respect. You only have to stomp a dog once. Then you can feed them goodies and give them a pet. Not a llama. More balls than brains... oh yeah... Reminds me of my buddy, Cat Cabrera. I finally got tired of kicking his ass. I must have kicked his ass two dozen times and he dint learn. The last time, he shot my house up with a 45 ACP and I smacked him in the face with a shovel.

I told Cat I would "kill him on sight" if I ever saw him again as I drove him to the emergency room. Cat was that smart. Llamas aren't that smart. No Cat, I'm keeping your gun. Nice gun. Thanks.

What part of "You lose" were you having a problem understanding?

If anybody could raise a gentle llama, I could. I haven't seen it done. I raise gentle dogs, but I also give them self worth. No one can abuse my dogs, not even me. A llama may be trainable. I haven't ever seen it.

I might be able to kick BB once. Twice would find me with a 64lb bitch up to my elbow. BB thinks she is worth $1.98. I think so too.

I have been able to make horses, dogs, pigs and cattle my buddy with mutual respect. A llama is unlikely. My experience tells me they are beyond stupid. Nearly as stupid as the people who would own one.

Can I teach you self respect for what you are? I will have that basic respect. Llama seems unlikely.
Old 24th July 2012, 11:26   #18
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

BB is worth everything!!
Old 31st July 2012, 09:58   #19
rockouthippie
Banned

BB thinks she's a people. I'm not telling her any different. You can't just boss her around. She is mighty mutt. Almost arrogant. Only obeys me because she trusts me and knows I'm smarter than she is.

Look at the frosty bitch. That's a lady and being a lady, we don't misbehave because it just wouldn't be cool. Now at 68lbs and buff. Her hide is that wonderful thick Sharpei skin that feels like soft suede. She can run a 4 minute mile sprinting. She goes 10 miles with me sometimes on a bike. She doesn't jerk me on a leash. Will sit to greet another dog and owner in the street. I can walk her in a crowd. I tie her around my waist and shop the farmers market. She won't make me spill a coffee.

She's cool! She's even a pretty good watch dog. By that I mean, she only barks at things that need barking at. Not at people ringing the doorbell.

I'm not the alpha wolf, I'm daddy. She doesn't obey me because I dominate her. She obeys me because she loves me and wants me to be proud of her. If you can teach a dog pride, they'll make you proud.

Mission complete. Well trained, well adjusted, socialized, gentle canine on duty. One more good dog. Number 8.

Last edited by rockouthippie; 31st July 2012 at 12:38.
Old 3rd August 2012, 14:10   #20
White Raven
Little Winged One

God damn, I want to stand around and pet some llamas.

just as feathery as ever | portfolio | a poignant quote
White Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2012, 23:55   #21
rockouthippie
Banned

Just make sure you count your fingers when you're done.
Old 6th August 2012, 03:10   #22
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

I love President Barack O'llama!
ElChevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2012, 04:39   #23
rockouthippie
Banned

... just make sure you count your fingers when you're done...
Old 7th August 2012, 20:23   #24
Warrior of the Light
Forum King

roh: congrats on your 10000th post.

Not sure if this specific post is the one, but congrats anyway.

Old 8th August 2012, 13:40   #25
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElChevelle View Post
I love President Barack O'llama!
In a Manly-Man Respect Way!
I will vote for him, of course and I have dirty thoughts about him. Yeah, I said it.
Old 21st August 2012, 22:05   #26
webthing
Forum King

Nerve Protein In Llama Semen Could Help Human Fertility

For ovulation llamas rely on a nerve factor protein that is also found in human sperm. This link could suggest new fertility treatments

A chemical in llama semen responsible for inducing ovulation in females has been identified and, surprisingly, it is a protein already known for its role in promoting the and survival of nerve cells in many species1. The protein nerve factor (NGF) — is also found in human semen, suggesting that it may play a previously unsuspected role in human fertility.

Whereas many animals, including humans, cattle and mice, produce eggs as part of a cycle of spontaneous ovulation, others — including llamas, camels, rabbits and koalas — are ‘induced ovulators’ that need a chemical stimulus. In 2005, Gregg Adams, a veterinary surgeon and reproductive scientist at the University of Saskatchewan in Saskatoon, Canada, and his colleagues showed that in llamas, the stimulus was in the seminal fluid. In the latest study, published this week in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences1, Adams led a team that identified the chemical as NGF.

Although human women do not require NGF in semen to ovulate, Adams says that the protein could still have a direct effect on human fertility. Earlier this year, he published a paper showing that llama seminal fluid shortens the ovulation cycles of cows and seems to stimulate the development of the corpus luteum — a structure inside the ovaries that forms after an egg has been released and secretes hormones vital to pregnancy.

In some cases, NGF could explain why some couples find it difficult to conceive, says Adams. A couple could have fertility problems if either the man failed to produce enough NGF in his semen or the woman lacked the receptors to detect and respond to it, he says.

Previous research has already shown that NGF and similar proteins are made in human ovaries and have a local effect on how the eggs develop, says Sergio Ojeda, a neuroscientist at Oregon Health and Science University in Portland. But Adams believes the latest study indicates that seminal NGF may be acting like a hormone — making its way through the walls of the vagina, into the blood and all the way to the brain, where it stimulates the release of other hormones that affect the ovaries.

“The beauty of this paper was that they weren’t looking for NGF,” says Ojeda. The research, he says, is “extremely exciting because, in the past, the scientific community has sometimes been guilty of only going with the established dogma".

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...uman-fertility

Old 4th November 2013, 02:45   #27
webthing
Forum King

Serge the liberated llama has night out in Bordeaux

A circus llama has become an internet hero after a group of drunken French youths “liberated” the animal and took it on a nocturnal tram tour of Bordeaux, the country’s wine capital.

Photos of the exploits of “Serge the llama” have gone viral on the internet, with more than 700,000 people signing a Facebook petition calling for the white beast’s travelling companions not to face charges.

Shortly before dawn on Thursday morning, the young men left a nightclub and stumbled past a Franco-Italian circus.

“We went in and played with the animals. We ended up taking a llama with us,” one, called Matthieu, told BFM TV.

Apparently rather happy to be taken on a nocturnal jaunt, the animal placidly followed its new masters “like a dog on a leash” and seemed interested in taking a nearby tram.

“He hopped on without problem, we followed suit and took a ride with him and other passengers,” said Matthieu.

But with no ticket to ride, the llama apparently became frisky after noticing an inspector. “He moved along the tram and we couldn’t hold onto him. The inspector made him get off and tied him to a lamppost,” said the youth.

The five men left their travelling companion stranded and continued their nighttime stroll, but were soon picked up by police.

Pictures of the llama’s escapade sparked national mirth and spawned a string of online spoofs, showing the animal as goalkeeper for the local Bordeaux football team, or standing beside four former French hostages released last week and met by President Francois Hollande.

However, John Beautour, the director of the circus failed to see the funny side, and said he intended to file a legal complaint.
“They should be made aware that to take an animal under the effect of alcohol just to have fun in town on a public causeway could have ended very badly for all concerned,” he told BFM TV.

But in a further twist, a well-known French singer by the name of Serge Lama - also from Bordeaux - leapt to the youth’s defence, saying he found the whole story of his namesake hilarious.

“It’s a joke that ended well. We’re so used to seeing unfunny things whereas this has helped break the ambience of moroseness (in France).” “That’s what we need right now.”
In the face of huge public support for the five, the circus director last night withdrew his threat of legal action, saying it had only been for insurance purposes.

As for Serge, the lama, he was said to be doing “very well” and was even able to perform his usual act on Thursday afternoon.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...-Bordeaux.html
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions