Old 15th April 2015, 04:26   #1
justinM10

My History with Winamp

No later than the year 1999, I downloaded Winamp for the first time during the Mp3 craze. Looking for a better player for my music other than WMP, after seeing some rich kids on TV boasting about their "Computer Jukebox." I looked for the program I saw, but didn't find it. I did however finally find something I really liked, WinAmp, and after hearing about how it really whoops the llama's ass, i was hooked. With my 1000's of songs, up to 22,000 at one point, it was great having an MP3 player that could organize all of it in a moment. Give me a printout html generated list, cool visualization and the best equalizer available by far. And those features are just scratching the surface. Even through the release of WinAmp 3, i always convinced my friends to use and stay with WinAmp. Without fail, they all did...even if for some it was for no other reason than to seize my non-stop endorsement of Winamp.

I spent a lot of time at a computer then as I do now, one of the few things that haven't changed is Winamp. I still use it on my PC, and wouldn't ever change.

So please, do not let WinAmp become a relic of a by gone era. It has potential, mostly in its simplicity. So long as I have to sit at a computer and do "stuff" for half the day, then I'm going to listen to music while doing that. Preferably using a WinAmp on my Mac that resembles the Winamp of old to give me that feeling of nostalgia, all while using a media player that has a great UI! Yea, AOL sucked. No one wasn't aware of that going into that deal years ago, but things changed and hopefully this new buyer doesn't suck.

Winamp was by far the best, and I know the team of people responsible for its creation can be responsible for bringing it into a new era. I wish you guys at Nullsoft the best of luck

Sincerely,
A long time fan
justinM10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2015, 14:45   #2
Raj_09

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinM10 View Post
No later than the year 1999, I downloaded Winamp for the first time during the Mp3 craze. Looking for a better player for my music other than WMP, after seeing some rich kids on TV boasting about their "Computer Jukebox." I looked for the program I saw, but didn't find it. I did however finally find something I really liked, WinAmp, and after hearing about how it really whoops the llama's ass, i was hooked. With my 1000's of songs, up to 22,000 at one point, it was great having an MP3 player that could organize all of it in a moment. Give me a printout html generated list, cool visualization and the best equalizer available by far. And those features are just scratching the surface. Even through the release of WinAmp 3, i always convinced my friends to use and stay with WinAmp. Without fail, they all did...even if for some it was for no other reason than to seize my non-stop endorsement of Winamp.

I spent a lot of time at a computer then as I do now, one of the few things that haven't changed is Winamp. I still use it on my PC, and wouldn't ever change.

So please, do not let WinAmp become a relic of a by gone era. It has potential, mostly in its simplicity. So long as I have to sit at a computer and do "stuff" for half the day, then I'm going to listen to music while doing that. Preferably using a WinAmp on my Mac that resembles the Winamp of old to give me that feeling of nostalgia, all while using a media player that has a great UI! Yea, AOL sucked. No one wasn't aware of that going into that deal years ago, but things changed and hopefully this new buyer doesn't suck.

Winamp was by far the best, and I know the team of people responsible for its creation can be responsible for bringing it into a new era. I wish you guys at Nullsoft the best of luck

Sincerely,
A long time fan
I love sincere wishes from a fan. I have a similar history with Winamp and it is so good to read a great story like this instead of grievances and complaints. I was so happy when I learnt that Winamp was not going to die and that there was a new buyer. Well, wish the devs the best. Winamp lives on.

Powering through with the bolt
Raj_09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2015, 03:41   #3
Tohno_Neil

There's no doubt that winamp have the Nullsoft DirectSound output Plug-in is BEST sound output system in all most Windows music palyer,but Times have changed。

THE PAST:You may be concerned about the application's memory usage pattern,Is it using too much memory?

NOW:They may be concerned about the application's new functions,they are Audiophile fans.
Tohno_Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2015, 16:09   #4
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tohno_Neil View Post
NOW:They may be concerned about the application's new functions,they are Audiophile fans.
I think the desktop version of Winamp has kept up with the most useful functions for the average users and audiophiles too. The other Winamp versions, not so much.

Which audiophile features do you feel are lacking? There may be plug-ins for them.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2015, 17:34   #5
Tohno_Neil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
Which audiophile features do you feel are lacking? There may be plug-ins for them.
1.Sound Quality,very important.

Sound Quality - Foobar vs WinAmp vs AIMP vs iTunes vs Windows Media Player - YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ir7J0tAAdIQ

2.Loseless music palyer,with cue file; hi-res music player
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=369733

3.Out asio,high-resample,they have professional sound card ,hi-fi earphone and headphone amplifier.

4.Tag,It too hard to use tag functions,why winamp cannot search tag use special words?

5.They like CD ripping program,like Exact Audio Copy / X Lossless Decoder,they need rip CD more correctly.

6.They need a Real-time spectrum analyzer,not to Editor Audio but to watch visible graph,like Adobe Audition.

7.They required greater precision and balance to advance.

Last edited by Tohno_Neil; 19th April 2015 at 19:10.
Old 19th April 2015, 18:49   #6
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi Tohno_Neil,

You have made some good points. Some of which I expect Winamp to address, sooner or later.

1. Sound quality is very important. The most important thing for me. Winamp has no problems in that area and the 'right' mix of plug-ins allows for very pleasant enhancements, imo.

2. Yes, Winamp doesn't have native CUE support. Sorry, I don't need it and don't know how good or bad the current crop of 3rd party plug-ins are.

3. I think this is more important to performers and those who want to listen to bit-perfect reproduction of digital music. I also think better encoding (more bits per sample and higher sampling rates) would be even more helpful.

There are various ASIO 3rd party plug-ins available, but again I have no personal knowledge of how good or bad they are.

I do like to listen to music as the artists intend for it to be heard. I also like to 'tinker' and play at sound engineering from time to time (hear the effect of various changes).

4. I was not a fan of the Gracenote supported tagging (always used 3rd party taggers). Hopefully the new tagging features (including cover art search and embedding) in the next release(s) will be better.

I'm not sure what you mean by "winamp cannot search tag use special words". I think the Winamp search feature (and query language support) is very good. The query filtering/building is a little hard to learn, but any robust search feature's would be, imo.

5., 6., 7. and etc.

Sometimes it is better to use apps dedicated to a single purpose for some things, rather than hoping for 1 app to be great at everything.

Also, if there are already apps available that are great at the single thing they do, why try to duplicate or recreate the function in 1 'do everything' app? I would rather see Winamp drop an auxiliary function, than provide sub-par support for it.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Old 19th April 2015, 20:42   #7
Tohno_Neil

Quote:
good points
In fact,they need only two things: high fidelity & sound effect.

So,winamp need only make two things happen:

"Uh huh,it's feeling good."

"Oh,that is I look for."
Old 19th April 2015, 23:23   #8
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
Quote:
1.Sound Quality,very important.

Sound Quality - Foobar vs WinAmp vs AIMP vs iTunes vs Windows Media Player - YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ir7J0tAAdIQ
i haven't had reason to complain about SQ.

Quote:
2.Loseless music palyer,with cue file; hi-res music player
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=369733
cue file support seems like something it should have.

Quote:
3.Out asio,high-resample,they have professional sound card ,hi-fi earphone and headphone amplifier.
this was discussed in another thread recently. again, nice to have, but resources are limited.

Quote:
4.Tag,It too hard to use tag functions,why winamp cannot search tag use special words?
something that should be improved, although i don't follow exactly what you mean, but thankfully other tools exist.

Quote:
5.They like CD ripping program,like Exact Audio Copy / X Lossless Decoder,they need rip CD more correctly.
i have said for years winamp should support accuraterip.

Quote:
6.They need a Real-time spectrum analyzer,not to Editor Audio but to watch visible graph,like Adobe Audition.
i completely agree with this, and think its something that could make for some killer skins.

Quote:
7.They required greater precision and balance to advance.
no idea what you mean.

anyway, winamp is falling behind, b/c the focus of the seemingly one dev, DrO, seems to be on shoutcast, which is prob coming from management and SC is important. but i wonder if winamp will ever again be released, and if a decision has been made that the desktop app is no longer important?

i tend to hope that all the work that has gone into winamp post AOL sale will be released, and i'll even guess it will be eventually, but beyond that i would not dare to venture.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2015, 23:43   #9
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
anyway, winamp is falling behind, ...
Falling behind what (i.e. which apps are you referring to)?

Old 19th April 2015, 23:49   #10
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
Falling behind what (i.e. which apps are you referring to)?
none. falling behind its own natural development. time can not be reclaimed, and there are things that could be done, that aren't. when it restarts, or rather, if it restarts, it will be behind where it could have been, had development not stalled.

--
Old 20th April 2015, 03:36   #11
Tohno_Neil

Quote:
i haven't had reason to complain about SQ.
Why some of they complain about Sound Quality,Is it a mistake?

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean by "winamp cannot search tag use special words". I think the Winamp search feature (and query language support) is very good. The query filtering/building is a little hard to learn, but any robust search feature's would be, imo.
Uh,search Tag Sources by use key words,like mp3tag.

Quote:

7.no idea what you mean.
7.Sound Balance,noise reduction,Clip protection,New sound efffcts (surpass Equalier & Replay Gain,may be
Dolby TrueHD / SRS WOW / DTS-HD Master / VST / 3D stereo surround sound / super Equalier )

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=379620

8. Skin Editor gui.
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=377751

9.Official Plugins and 3rd party plug-ins. Some 3rd party plug-ins are popular,but they may have bugs in new winmap release,why not try to launch a Official plug-ins,or help author to improve the plug-in?

Last edited by Tohno_Neil; 20th April 2015 at 05:41.
Old 20th April 2015, 06:00   #12
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
7.Sound Balance,Clip protection,New sound efffcts (surpass Equalier & Replay Gain,may be
Dolby digital / SRS WOW / VST / 3D sound
There is no substitute for high quality music files to begin with. It is not possible to enhance what is not in a file to start with. SRS WOW, 3D Sound, and other effects are gimmicks, but Winamp does provide a DSP plug-in. I prefer the Stereo Tool DSP plug-in to try to enhance what is already encoded in the files. I'm not above using gimmicks from time to time, but there is no way to turn a stereo file into a true multichannel file with these DSPs. I use a matrix mixer plug-in to get 6 channels from a 2 channel source file that doesn't just copy the original channels to the others. The results vary but do not match what is engineered as a 6 channel file.

Quote:
9.Official Plugins and 3rd party plug-ins. Some 3rd party plug-ins are popular,but
But what? You prefer these features to be native. Why, if the 3rd party plug-ins get the job done? If some 3rd party plug-ins don't work well, complain to their developers (it's not Winamp's fault).

Winamp's desktop version's core features do a good to great job providing what the majority wants, imo. Some 3rd party developers do a good to great job providing what the minority wants, imo.

Winamp's ability to support plug-ins is one of it's greatest strengths. It lets users add what they need and avoid what they don't need.

That said, some of the most popular features initially provided by 3rd parties have been integrated and more probably will be over time as demand dictates. Winamp is not perfect (nothing is). However, I have seen steady improvement over the years (in regular increments if you consider all the releases) and I expect that to continue after a way to pay for things is resolved.

EDIT:
You had not completed your 9th point when I started my reply, but my comments would be the same anyway.

Documentation is usually lacking in some important details. Winamp's is no different. It is still up to the 3rd party developers to test, ask questions, and provide the best product that they can.

Last edited by Aminifu; 20th April 2015 at 07:20.
Old 20th April 2015, 07:40   #13
Selard

Winamp is the best option for mp3 collection so far. I have been using this from last few years and had great fun time with it.
Selard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2015, 10:41   #14
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
Why some of they complain about Sound Quality,Is it a mistake?
i can't speak for anyone else. SQ is objective, but i have not had cause to complain.

Quote:
9.Official Plugins and 3rd party plug-ins. Some 3rd party plug-ins are popular,but they may have bugs in new winmap release,why not try to launch a Official plug-ins,or help author to improve the plug-in?
i agree with this. and some of my suggestions, which were at first dismissed or even derided, are slowly finding their way into winamp. a safe mode, a plugin verifier, a checkbox to turn on/off various indiv installed plugins, etc

to me, it all leads to a winamp plugin store, which would ultimately generate revenue and provide incentive for 3rd party devs to create plugins and maintain them. a plugin could be reported as known to work with ver XXX by the community, and so on.

i would also like to see a clear delineation in winamp between "official" stock plugins, and those that aren't.

it seems to me that this is the PERFECT time to make a clean break from old plugins. make the changes on the client side that make the client better going forward, and future proof as much as possible. don't be constrained by trying to maintain backwards compatibility or old APIs. at the same time introduce a plugin verifier and a winamp store, and encourage devs to port their plugins to the new system, and get paid for it.

the whole issue of maintaining backwards compatibility is something of a joke as each day progresses anyway, since many are already broken and as each OS becomes obsolete, like XP, many more will eventually become useless as users switch to newer Win OS's, and Win10 is going to be free to almost anyone on on older OS. how many old existing plugins will work on that?

--
Old 20th April 2015, 15:45   #15
DrO

quit with the plug-in store thing - it ain't going to happen. as even if it did happen, it'd be a flop (no one wants to pay for plug-ins - they expect everything to be free as has been seen over the years with attempts at paid plug-ins) and it'd just have people creating crappy plug-ins and expect massive $$$ amounts for what is not worth it.

Winamp's time is long past when it might have had a vague possibility of working (like the few years of paid skins in the early 2000s) but plug-ins never fitted with that model / usage behaviour and it's just too little too late to try to incentivise people just on money when most people no longer care for Winamp and plug-ins. especially as the peak of the plug-in development period was pre-5.x.

plug-ins are Winamp's biggest downfall - sure you can expand but you're forever held back and people get pissed off if a plug-in breaks (even if it had to be done to improve Winamp security / stability) and so they stick on crappy old Winamp versions (which then removes the need to develop a new version as those people won't use it).

and relying on people to give up countless hours of free time to fill a gap that should be native is just not right as only a sub-set of people will ever look at plug-ins and so they think the player is crap and move on.

as just because a plug-in can do something, doesn't mean people will use it. or even worse is those who rely on buggy plug-ins (long since left for dead and never going to be fixed or re-created) but demand that Winamp still supports them. hence reaching and impasse and everyone suffers.

as for breaking compatibility, that's easily done if you drop plug-in and skin support and just provide a monolithic dumbed down app like the WAFA / Mac clients did (which would solve the Win 8.x / WinPhone issue) and put 2 fingers up to those wanting the old style of doing things (not that it really matters as the damage has long since been done on the user base and they use 2.x or whatever old version anyway).

Winamp fell behind the curve after the 5.0 release (could actually say it do so a while before that) when everyone left and things just stagnated. sure there's been improvements since but there's been a lot of fud and it's no wonder many (myself included) look towards other players now to get the things that should have been added into Winamp over a decade ago but aren't and so have to move on. if the tool doesn't fit the job, there's no point in putting up with the pain of something.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2015, 16:31   #16
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
Winamp fell behind the curve after the 5.0 release (could actually say it do so a while before that) when everyone left and things just stagnated. sure there's been improvements since but there's been a lot of fud and it's no wonder many (myself included) look towards other players now to get the things that should have been added into Winamp over a decade ago but aren't and so have to move on. if the tool doesn't fit the job, there's no point in putting up with the pain of something.
I belong to the sub-set that looks for plug-ins to fill gaps. I also test other players, but Winamp still meets most of my needs (with the 'right' plug-ins). Maybe my needs are few and I've just grown too accustomed to Winamp.

Old 25th April 2015, 11:23   #17
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
quit with the plug-in store thing - it ain't going to happen. as even if it did happen, it'd be a flop (no one wants to pay for plug-ins - they expect everything to be free as has been seen over the years with attempts at paid plug-ins) and it'd just have people creating crappy plug-ins and expect massive $$$ amounts for what is not worth it.
thats your opinion. i disagree, and i'm free to do so. in app purchases are successful in any number of products, from itunes to google play apps and on and on.

and while i do appreciate your candor and respect your opinion in this post and elsewhere, i do not appreciate attempts to be silenced.

besides, a winamp store could sell music, other apps, merchandise and so on. for years, winamp sold a pro version. i say the only difference here is that this idea would be better, and actually make sense, where a pro ver did not. i know u disagree, but thats not going to stop me from voicing my opinion.

Quote:
on the one hand, i think this is a very honest admission and represents how you truly feel, but on the other i would not be happy employing someone being so pessimistic about a product i owned and market and develop.

DrO, you are truly a great dev, you solve problems and you're good at it. but you are also imo very defeatist and very pessimistic and you always seem to say why this or that can't happen, even to the point of contradiction.

i think what winamp needs is someone with a worthy vision for the product, to lead it somewhere thats a sensible yet pioneering goal, and to have devs realize that vision, rather than try to define it themselves. and i'm not saying that devs are there just to code only, but sometimes devs are too deep in the weeds, or "the vision thing" just isn't their strength. not slighting you or anyone else, just giving my POV as someone outside looking from afar, and i accept i could be 100% wrong.

--
Old 25th April 2015, 11:26   #18
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
i can't speak for anyone else. SQ is objective, but i have not had cause to complain.
ridiculous typo, that should say "SUBjective" not "OBjective" ...ugh!

--
Old 25th April 2015, 13:19   #19
Pawel

Send a message via ICQ to Pawel
I would say it is too late for Winamp Store. I agree with DrO. Most of the people want it free. They want it always updated and ready for changes. For free.
Even if some group of users would buy some plugins (or other stuff) it will never make it profitable.

There is plenty of free players all around, streaming services... no, definetely paid Winamp time is over...
In my opinion Winamp can still be alive, be a good player that fits most of the users needs if it only be free and availalbe for different platforms (of course integrated with SHOUTcast).

Winamp 5.6x is a great player. I would only add features that had to gone (like for example auto-tag).
I still hope Radionomy will make it some day... I hope they understand that more time it will take, less users will care about it.

-Pawel
Pawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2015, 21:22   #20
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawel View Post
I would say it is too late for Winamp Store. I agree with DrO. Most of the people want it free. They want it always updated and ready for changes. For free.
Even if some group of users would buy some plugins (or other stuff) it will never make it profitable.
its a proven business model. lots of apps use it. the core app IS and should remain free, but revenue could be generated via add ons, and a lot of that would be done by 3rd party devs.

if other apps can do it, why not winamp?

and btw, some core apps are paid. winamp had a pro ver. dbpoweramp is a paid app. I've seen lots of other utilities and so on work on a pay model.

paying for upgrades inside a DL from an app store (like apples or googles) is all but normal now.

its not that hard to imagine. think how popular a say DLNA plugin for $5 would be? or an airplay one? how about a ASIO plugin? different metadata plugins? a plugin for last fm? remote controls? (look how popular aWAR and other android remotes are) and on and on and on....

we just disagree, but I respect your opinion.

--
Old 26th April 2015, 03:19   #21
djpete
Major Dude

"i think what winamp needs is someone with a worthy vision for the product, to lead it somewhere thats a sensible yet pioneering goal, and to have devs realize that vision, rather than try to define it themselves. and i'm not saying that devs are there just to code only, but sometimes devs are too deep in the weeds, or "the vision thing" just isn't their strength. not slighting you or anyone else, just giving my POV as someone outside looking from afar, and i accept i could be 100% wrong."

Very wise words IMO.
I truly believe Winamp needs proper marketing above anything else to succeed.

As far as SQ goes I use Mad.dll and people think I'm mad for using it but I Do hear a difference.
If there ever is a new version of WA and it does look less and less likely each day (or should I say year) then I would like the following:
Proper crossfader such as SQR as standard
Easy access to 3 way repeat as standard
Resume play as standard on startup
And just tweak the hell out of it to make it lightning quick and crashproof.

And then give it a rebrand and market the hell out of it to new users out there and show them clearly the differences between WA and the "others".
And even today the differences are HUGE.

Cheers, Pete

Anything & Everything Winamp - All In One Place...
Winamp Enthusiasts Group
djpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2015, 19:04   #22
Tohno_Neil

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpete View Post

As far as SQ goes I use Mad.dll and people think I'm mad for using it but I Do hear a difference.
mad.dll?

Someone fell doubt about the output sound of winamp is real no sound effects,I think.
Old 26th April 2015, 22:06   #23
MrSinatra
Forum King

aren't there any rules about huge signature photos?

--
Old 27th April 2015, 09:42   #24
Aminifu
Forum King

Some aggressive marketing couldn't hurt; with all the current competition, newbies and those stuck on version 2.x have no idea what the current Winamp version is capable of (or what the new version may do).

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpete View Post
If there ever is a new version of WA and it does look less and less likely each day (or should I say year) then I would like the following:
Proper crossfader such as SQR as standard
Easy access to 3 way repeat as standard
Resume play as standard on startup
And just tweak the hell out of it to make it lightning quick and crashproof.
I suppose you don't use the features that "mad.dll" 'breaks'. It doesn't support many things that "in_mp3.dll" does (e.g. stream handling, extracting embedded artwork, etc.). Is a louder sound the difference you hear? Have you seen these recent threads (http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=380938 and http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=380874)?

I respect that the other comments are your preferences, but they are too subjective or dependent on various user needs to be made standard (native?) or defaults, imo.

I like SQR too, but 'proper' crossfading is more dependent on the songs being faded into and out of (i.e their BPM, genre, etc.) than the fading techniques, imo. I think the average user would just screw up anything beyond the basics that "out_ds.dll" provides. This is best handled by an optional plug-in (like an updated SQR), imo. Also, thinktink released 2 plug-ins last December that provide basic crossfading on the input side of things (http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=379988). They were provided for SHOUTcast users, but they work for non-SHOUTcast users too.

Some skins provide easy access to 3-way repeat. Maybe DrO will integrate the canceled plug-in he wrote to handle this. This is an example of something many don't use or know about, imo.

Resume play on startup should be an option, imo. I often change my playlist when starting a new session and don't want to start where I left off. Anyway, DrO's plug-in currently handles this very nicely (http://winampplugins.co.uk/timerestore.html).

Finally, which features seem sluggish in their execution to you? This could depend significantly on the hardware and software configurations and other major apps running at the same time. Likewise, with so many different configurations, there will always be bugs to be discovered and fixed (there is no way for devs to test for everything), unless Winamp is dumbed-down into something very simple.

Old 27th April 2015, 11:36   #25
djpete
Major Dude

I don't use any of that stuff no so apologies for that. I hear what you say there. No it isn't just louder as I have tried almost all the so called enhancers out there. It is just a clearer more natural sound for me.

I tried that other crossfader and sorry but it is nowhere near as accurate as SQR. :-(

Re sluggish, I am not complaining at all, just if more bugs could be ironed out and it made even faster than it is now, light weight I mean. which as you say happens every release in any case, hopefully.

But as you agree marketing is the big one to focus on.

Cheers, Pete

Anything & Everything Winamp - All In One Place...
Winamp Enthusiasts Group
djpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2015, 04:06   #26
justinM10

Hmm, I guess I inadvertently started a heck of a discussion....and more views then i thought it would get, for sure.

All this talk on features, past mistakes, plugins, apps, etc, is really irrelevant. WinAmp worked because of its simplicity and great UI. It is easy enough for anyone to use, and still has the features to make any music freak happy. Simply carry that into this new era.

Three Winamp features need to stay on all platforms; the ability to change skins, an equalizer, & keep that all in a tidy package. BTW, i happen to think Winamp would make a great alternative music player for all 3 big Smart Phone OS' and all computers. The interface has always been close to perfect as far as the blend of features and simplicity, I think that will translate to a phone well, a full screen App (with background play) would be the go-to party playlist app. The built in music players are all trash & Winamp as is circa 2004 would almost suffice is adapted for my phone. Thats why I feel like Winamp will survive.

All Winamp should add to the Phone versions is built-in capabilities to store or stream different Podcasts & streams. Which I'm sure is already a guaranteed feature. Just saving the memory on my device would be great, but the real reason for this would be to have all this music available on one playlist. So you could have a music playlist, covering streaming sites and services, and another for Podcasts. This would also give the closest thing to a nostalgic "free music" feel from the Napster days. e

I hate VOX, its too "bulky" and isn't a high quality music player. The other options aren't much better, if the sound is good the interface sucks & especially the Playlists. And if its easy to use, its poor quality & there's no control. WinAmp always blended those features well, and I'm confident they can do it today. Put it all in one place, I'm tired of using 5 different music players on my phone and 3-4 on my computer to get the same thing WinAmp gave me 10 years ago, and arguably with better quality and easier to use music player.
justinM10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2015, 06:45   #27
Tohno_Neil

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinM10 View Post
I hate VOX, its too "bulky" and isn't a high quality music player. The other options aren't much better, if the sound is good the interface sucks & especially the Playlists. And if its easy to use, its poor quality & there's no control. WinAmp always blended those features well, and I'm confident they can do it today. Put it all in one place, I'm tired of using 5 different music players on my phone and 3-4 on my computer to get the same thing WinAmp gave me 10 years ago, and arguably with better quality and easier to use music player.
Sorry.

I have to say,winamp is not good enough to make many people feel good.

Do you feel others' pop function is not important? Let us back to the 1990s.

Development model is very important,
Old 28th September 2015, 10:50   #28
chapiz

Winamp in 1999 was the best of the best, if you were nobody pc not listen to your music with this program, but now things have changed, but I still ency one of the best programs there are too many options to listen music.

a big fan of Winamp.
chapiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2015, 13:20   #29
DJ-Garybaldy
Major Dude

Quote:
Winamp in 1999 was the best of the best
Have to agree with you there players like Real & Windows media were just awful. Was never a fan of quicktime etc either.

Winamp was one of the first media players I tried along with the long defunct (MusicMatch)

Still use Winamp to play my stream on Windows 10 - Current uptime 200 hours + counting.

Could never get any other player to last that long without buffering.

Proud USER of RadioDJ since 2011 people say I'm biased!

Online: Twitter - Blog - RadioDJv2
DJ-Garybaldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2016, 20:18   #30
Darrell55

Im back... sorry I left Winamp

I have had it with iTunes... Music Bee... Real player and all the rest of those posers... Winamp is the best
Darrell55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion