Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support

Old 13th February 2014, 18:58   #1
AndreWinamp

File associations list problem. Windows 8.1 - Winamp 5.666.3516

Hello, can someone pleas help me to solve the problem shown in the images?

In Windows 8.1 the file association list is crazily incomplete. There are only 7 file extensions in the list but Winamp manages 86....

On the other hand, in the "Set Default Programs" window it says Winamp has 14 out of 16 defaults...

BTW, I've tried to find a solution everywhere but I'm done...

Thanks in advance for your help
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Winamp.png
Views:	903
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	51006   Click image for larger version

Name:	Winamp2.png
Views:	784
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	51007  
AndreWinamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2014, 06:57   #2
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi AndreWinamp,

Beginning with Windows 8, you must use the Windows Default Programs utility to associate file types with programs (such as Winamp) designed for earlier versions of Windows. Use the utility's option to associate a file type or protocol with a specific program. This lists all file types that have been recognized by the OS and allows for reassignment. Some of the types Winamp can support may have been associated with other programs. Those file types not listed have not yet been recognized by the OS. If you have any files of the types not listed, use Windows Explorer to right click on 1 of each type and select the "Open with" command to associate them with Winamp (or any other program on your system that supports them).

Do you really want Winamp to be the default program associated with all the file types it can support? You can always use the right click command to open a file with a program that supports it other than it's default.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Quinto Black CT v3.1 skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v20H2 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2014, 15:04   #3
AndreWinamp

Hi Aminifu.

Thank you very much for your answer. I do want Winamp to be my default player for all file types.

I understand Windows Default Programs is the right tool to achieve file and protocol association related tasks. However I can assure the rest of file types are not associated to other programs, such as WMP, or the default Metro Video or Music apps. In fact, they don't appear in the list of file types recognized by the OS, so there is no way to re-associate them to Winamp. In this list I can only associate to Winamp file types that are supported by it and by other media players

For instance, I can associate to Winamp mp3 file types but I can't do it with flv ones as they are not supported neither by WMP, nor Metro default apps.

These "Winamp-associable" file types are recognized by the OS via the other media players (WMP, default Metro apps).

After I associate one of those file types to Winamp, I expect to see it listed in the Winamp's list of associated files, but it never changes (it remains always as shown in the first picture) although in Explorer they feature the Winamp icon and double-click on these files opens Winamp.

I think something's been corrupted somewhere in the registry, but I'm not sure what to change nor where to look for therein.
Old 14th February 2014, 15:10   #4
DrO

if it's all working as expected via Explorer then yes it sounds like there might be a registry corruption as Winamp just uses the API's which it's required to do and if the file types aren't being shown on the OS provided dialog compared to the File Types prefs page in Winamp (not in the screenshots provided).

not really sure what to suggest other than info tool report to see if it's due to a Winamp config issue (not sure how) though it's most likely something specific to your Windows setup (based on what you've described).
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2014, 14:27   #5
AndreWinamp

I will tell you how I mostly resolve the problem.

I think the problem was the JTFE plug-in. (BTW I have a new and clean Windows 8.1 install)

The first image that I'm posting this time shows a checked option in the Jump To File -> Extras options menu. I never hadn't used this option. It is always unchecked in my Winamp configurations but this time for some reason it was checked by default. I noticed it but checking or unchecking it didn't really solved the problem. So I decided to uninstall JTFE plug-in.

And voilà!! (mostly) everything was fixed. I remember Winamp listing 86 supported files. Now it lists 84 and if I click on "Set this program as default" 83 out of 84 file types are set as default (84 are never reached no matter how many times I click that button) You can see that in the second image.

ASX playlist file type remains missing but I think I can stand it this time around.

After that I reinstalled JTFE (Build 1216). "Enable File Types preferences page additions" is still checked but everything seems fine right now. Any suggestions for this behavior?

By the way, where could I get a complete list of file types and protocols that are supposed to be registered for Winamp in Windows?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Img 1.jpg
Views:	919
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	51011   Click image for larger version

Name:	Img 2.jpg
Views:	498
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	51012  
Old 16th February 2014, 14:54   #6
DrO

even with that option enabled it shouldn't be messing up things, though build 1216 is newer than what is shipped with Winamp 5.666 (build 3516) so maybe there's something with the older build that i'm not aware off which 1216 resolves. though i'm struggling to work out what would even cause the fallure as that option doesn't touch anything with what the registration side of things uses.
Old 27th February 2014, 02:24   #7
AndreWinamp

Just in case this information be useful...

I installed Winamp 5.666.3516 in another new machine with Winadows 8.1 x64 (just like mine).

Given my experience I installed it without built-in JTFE (to later install Build 1216). However, ASX playlist file is never shown in the list of Winamp's associated file types, so probably there might be a problem registering this particular file type, at least in Windows 8.1 x64.

ASX files appear with Winamp icon in the file explorer and Winamp opens them correctly. This is just a matter of listing it in the Default Programs utility. The Control Panel says "This program has 85 out of 86 defaults".

In conclusion, ASX files are associated with Winamp but the Control Panel is not aware of it.
Old 14th April 2015, 08:48   #8
TheDarkTemplar

Something I've been noticing lately is that the 'Set Default Programs' link will give an error saying you have to set associations from the control panel, but if you then set Winamp as the default for mp3s by right-clicking on one and doing open with, then closing and re-opening the menu a few times, suddenly clicking on the button will work and let me set the default for 74 file types to Winamp at once. No idea why the button is so picky or what criteria needs to be met for it to open, but every time I want to do this on a new computer I just keep at it until the button works.

It might have something to do with the way you access the menu window to open it. I don't know.

Of course, it is impossible to bulk set it as the default file type from the control panel without using this button because it never shows up as a program on the list for me at all.
TheDarkTemplar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2015, 16:46   #9
Aminifu
Forum King

Windows 8 tries to prevent programs from setting up their own file associations after their initial installation. It wants subsequent file association changes made with the "Default Programs" utility on the control panel (for bulk file type changes) or a file's "Choose default program..." context menu command (for individual file type changes).

If Winamp and/or certain file types do not appear in the control panel utility, then they were not registered properly in the registry. This could be an OS error, or Winamp did not install properly, or the file type was not registered when a program that can open it was installed. If Winamp shows up in a mp3 file's context menu's "Choose default program..." command window, then it should also be listed in the control panel utility. If it isn't listed in the context menu command, that is another indication that Winamp wasn't installed properly.

Sometimes, shutting down Winamp and just re-running the Winamp installer in Administrator Mode 'fixes' things. Normally the installer elevates itself as needed, but this may not have happened.

You can also try shutting down Winamp and changing the "IsFirstInst=" and "NeedReg=" options values in the "[WinampReg]" section of the "Winamp.ini" file from 0 to 1 (with Notepad), then re-running Winamp.

If you don't know or can't find which folder the "Winamp.ini" file is in (the folder may be hidden on your system), use the OS search feature to locate the file.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Quinto Black CT v3.1 skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v20H2 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2015, 16:55   #10
DrO

holding Ctrl when leaving the file types prefs page does the same as re-running the installer. and if things aren't showing, it'll either be that the files aren't reported by Winamp as files it supports or there's an existing file association (from another program / default association) which Winamp under the confines of the new model cannot report that it supports.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support

Tags
file associations, file extensions, set default programs, windows 8.1