• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PeterK.
    Quinto Black CT Developer
    • Sep 2016

Originally Posted by Victhor View Post
    ...I think I have a solution..

Thank you for your contribution Victhor. Yes, it sounds like an easy fix, what you are suggesting.

My two cents to your proposition:

1) the shadow looks definitely much better on the blue and brown background ...

rather than on the beige one:

You might ask: where is the shadow on the beige scale background at all. It is there but so subtle in its appearance that you can hardly see it. And the plausible reason for that is the fact that making the shadow darker makes automatically the needle look much wider and thicker - just ugly! So creating a realistic shadow in here could end up in a very unrealistic looking needles. And we definitely do not want that, do we?

So far you only have seen "static" screenshots. I can assure you: you will not notice whether the shadow is moving with the needle or at its own speed once a music file is played and the needles "hit the beat". Believe me.
    Attached Files
    Quinto Black CT

Comment

• PeterK.
      • Sep 2016

Originally Posted by PeterK. View Post
      I just discovered a small bug regarding the Album Cover window.
      Fixed.
      Quinto Black CT

Comment

• Victhor
        Late skinner & Moderator
        • May 2003

Originally Posted by PeterK. View Post
        ..You might ask: where is the shadow on the beige scale background at all. It is there but so subtle in its appearance that you can hardly see it..
        Actually you could've use your shadow gfx, mine was just to lllustrate the idea. I imagined it would be hard to make it look good though (black shadow behind a black needle? Hmm...), but I think I succeeded on implanting the idea on your mind for the next time .
        · · Big Bento Modern

Comment

• PeterK.
          • Sep 2016

...but I think I succeeded on implanting the idea on your mind for the next time .

Do you know how this procedure is called? Inception!

By the way: please remember that the needle shadow is actually created by the (virtual) outside light source, which as well makes the reflections on both scale glasses. It is not the light within the scales. Hence, the shadow position is not that wrong in my opinion.
          Quinto Black CT

Comment

• PeterK.
            • Sep 2016

I made the LEDs look a little bit more realistic:

Attached Files
            Quinto Black CT

Comment

• Victhor
              Late skinner & Moderator
              • May 2003

Hmmm.. That sort of flare is really hard to do, and TBH I don't think is better now. Maybe aiming to something like MMD3's leds more simple glowing is better?
              Attached Files
              · · Big Bento Modern

Comment

• PeterK.
                • Sep 2016

Hmmm.. That sort of flare is really hard to do, and TBH I don't think is better now. Maybe aiming to something like MMD3's leds more simple glowing is better?

I am glad to hear an opinion, but I must admit I like it this way. The LED on my loudspeaker looks this way (and I love it) so I thought it was a good idea to have the LEDs on my skin glow the same way. Sort of...
                Quinto Black CT

Comment

• PeterK.
                  • Sep 2016

I forgot to mention that I was looking for a good looking shadow for the needles the other day and accidentally found a great looking template for an analog VU Meter. The search for the font family was not successful but I found another one which looks almost the same:

The funny thing is that the new VU Meter font was made by pizzadude whose font I have been already using for songinfo. I think it is time I sent him a mail and said thank you. Don't you think?

P.S. I remember sending him a mail back in 2011 but he never replied. Maybe this time. And it also would be a good idea to contat Boris, the creator of the Monopoint Font, which I bought from him also in 2011 for the first Quinto version, so he can update the screenshots.
                  Attached Files
                  Quinto Black CT

Comment

• ariszlo
                    Major Dude
                    • Jun 2015

In about.m, urlButtonWinaero calls "download.page.id" but there is no "download.page.id" in about.xml.
                    Ariszló @ WinCustomize & DeviantArt

Comment

• PeterK.
                      • Sep 2016

Originally Posted by ariszlo View Post
                      In about.m, urlButtonWinaero calls "download.page.id" but there is no "download.page.id" in about.xml.
                      Yes, because initially there were two buttons: FORUM and DOWNLOAD PAGE. But then I decided to keep only FORUM button and forgot to delete the corresponding lines in script and elements.xml
                      Quinto Black CT

Comment

• PeterK.
                        • Sep 2016

Before the upcoming release of the version 1.5 I would like to share with you just three short notices:

1) When you look at the MainPlayer you will notice that I placed the letter "L" over "R" next to the digital VU Meter under the Timer. It is just because this seems to be the standard due to pretty all digital meters which I have seen on the Internet: the left chanel above the right one.

2) As you may remember I changed the look of the scales of the analog VU Meter adding a new very nice font. And according to a VU Meter template which I found it was necessary to modify the NULL which is black now and not red anymore. The corresponding NULL on the digital VU Meter also changed its color to black (actually white, I know )

3) I also modified the background color of the scales and the lamp source, which I detached from the background and which now gets off as soon as the playback is stopped:

Stay tuned ...
                        Attached Files
                        Quinto Black CT

Comment

• Aminifu
                          Forum King
                          • Aug 2011

Very nice VU meter update. This skin keeps looking better and better!
                          Winamp v5.9.2.10042 - Quinto Black CT v4.1 skin
                          Windows 11 Home 64-bit v23H2 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system

Comment

• Victhor
                            Late skinner & Moderator
                            • May 2003

Glad to see you keep working on it!! =)
                            · · Big Bento Modern

Comment

• PeterK.
                              • Sep 2016

Glad to see you keep working on it!! =)
                              I wish I could stop, but I can't!

Just kidding, skinning is the perfect combination of hard work and fun! And since I cannot make any reports about hard work (would be pretty boring) let me make a report about having fun.

I have been thinking. There is this post made by Aminifu in which he points to the aspect of having correct colors on PLAY, PAUSE and STOP buttons on a music player. OK, on one side we must allow the designer to follow his fantasy and his fantasy only. On the other side it is obvious and understandable that many users demand the colors they are used to on such important components. Could you imagine a car with blue stop lights?

After this short introduction I would like to show you my new addition to the background color of the buttons PLAY, PAUSE and STOP on Winamp's windows:

This color correction gives not only the right "sense" for the function of each of them but also creates a more realistic depth feeling. Can you see it?

According to this scheme I changed the colors of the playback status signs on the MainPlayer too.

And now please do me a favour and do not ask why I did not change the colors on the MainPlayer in exactly the same way. You see, the MainPlayer is the car with those blue stop lights. And this looks sooo good ...
                              Attached Files
                              Quinto Black CT

Comment

• Sabine Klare
                                Forum Queen
                                • Nov 2010

The real artists never can stop, if they want to have everything 100% perfect, and I am one of these artists...

I have worked again on my overview-tutorials for artists, and then I have discovered, I have forgotten 1 .txt-file. PeterK., You have reminded me, that I should add also Inkscape and Notepad++ to my descriptions, and again I have updated my journal on deviantART.

I want to hold the version 1.5 in my hands soon...
                                Sabine Klare Aka Sternenmaschinebine
                                Music, Art, Lyrics, Videos
                                AMBIENT... AMBIENT music forever...

Comment

Working...
                                X