Old 28th September 2011, 13:42   #1
mookee

Sound wave viewer to choose cue point

hi.

as i was trying to "blind" dj with my winamp using two instanzes i realised that without directing the second instanz to a second soundcard (which i dont have) , i am not able to prelisting to find a good intropoint to initialize the next track i want to mix with the actuall, (playing in first instanz..)

BUT , ) than i came up with the idea that by selecting a track, there could be a window that shows me the whole wave of the track so that i could visualy find a good cuepoint http://www.crossingselves.ch/snm/sem...ve_fenster.gif

i couldnt find anything like and i hope you can help me there
.. it would at least make small time winamp djing possible.. to which i dont find any other good way , by the way...

lg christoph

Last edited by mookee; 28th September 2011 at 14:53.
mookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2011, 19:12   #2
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
similar:

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=335325

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2011, 20:44   #3
mookee

hasnt gone too far there..;( (also i cant see the connection between the linked thread and its reply..?)

but yeah, similar
?......lg c
Old 28th September 2011, 20:56   #4
MrSinatra
Forum King

all 3 of us want to be able to "mark" points that matter within the file/waveform.

one solution could serve all our purposes.

--
Old 28th September 2011, 22:05   #5
mookee

amen

and this one http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=304269
.. but the linked plug-in within only leads to whitecap ..?

hope this continuous right here right now!
Old 25th October 2011, 13:06   #6
mookee

thanks, and welcome to this understanding.. may we should spread this threat somehow for some results..??!

dream baby dream

[edit - moderation]
this post was made in reply to a spammer who's posts have now been removed
Old 2nd January 2014, 14:48   #7
wernerml

Found it

http://code.google.com/p/gen-waveseek/
wernerml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2014, 09:29   #8
mookee

Geil )
Old 13th January 2014, 18:53   #9
mookee

i installed it, but how to activate. got no window of it..?(
Old 14th January 2014, 00:00   #10
wernerml

It's beeing fixed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookee View Post
i installed it, but how to activate. got no window of it..?(
this plug-in stopped working in the newer versions of Winamp, the latest (100% working) one was the: Winamp v5.66x.

But I contacted the programmer, and also the great DrO, and both of them are working to fix it...

<temp build link removed - is not for public distribution>

But stay tuned, probably it's going to be released a new version in the website:
http://code.google.com/p/gen-waveseek/
Old 23rd January 2014, 12:30   #11
mookee

cool!

i am working with 5.63 but all i get is a black window regardless of the fileformat. if i click inside the black window the song changes position though.
also, if i move the window from the top of the playerwindow where i cant see it, to where i want it, it automaticly pops away on top of the playerwindow again after i move the playerwindow (classic of course). its like its stucked to be soandsomany pixels above the playerwindow, which is bad as the playerwindow is top left..for me

but you made a great job anyway- WOW!)

i will stay tuned) V
Old 23rd January 2014, 12:49   #12
MrSinatra
Forum King

why not use 5.666?

--
Old 23rd January 2014, 12:55   #13
DrO

because why update when what they have installed already appears to work... is the old v2.x user vs any new version issue (which can be applied to any update, hence the distinct bands of versions that people seems to use).

and all of the issues mookee mentions about the plug-in are fixed i believe in the patch i'd provided for the plug-in, i just need to sort out a few issues so the plug-in developer can release an improved version which will also work with the current Winamp release (just have a few other issues in the way before i can find the time to sort that out).
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2014, 13:03   #14
MrSinatra
Forum King

right, I understand that, but I was asking mookee what his particular reasoning / justification is?

its great you guys worked on this tho, i'll give it a whirl eventually.

--
Old 23rd January 2014, 13:14   #15
DrO

thought i'd answered it for mookee with my generic reply - lots of people don't update unless they a) want to willingly or b) are forced to do so (with option a being the biggest factor in it not happening). if it works, why risk breaking things (as some of the builds have done and sadly have caused people to stick with old versions despite other code / implementation improvements).
Old 23rd January 2014, 13:18   #16
mookee

okay, did go for 5.66 now. looks great,) , also the the improved balance range)

only, i got "shutdown after playlist end " in the context menue twice?!
the rest seems to work fine for now

thanks
Old 23rd January 2014, 13:22   #17
mookee

...yeah!, i had no reason to
Old 23rd January 2014, 20:23   #18
MrSinatra
Forum King

mookee, 5.666, not 5.66, right?

DrO, I totally get it and agree with you, completely! but again, sometimes some users have a specific reason for not going beyond a certain point ver, that's beyond just "it works as is" and so I was specifically asking mookee if he had such a reason, and he apparently does not, and I was then going to encourage him, as I do all users, to use the latest ver, (which he seemingly now is) if they have no specific reason, that's all!

--
Old 7th February 2014, 12:19   #19
mookee

so thats it for now.
works quite fluid -even with flac!-good job!). two things though:
-the wave seems to have a delayed reaction, as if you choose a point and it takes some milli secs to play. but i could be wrong there,AND my pc is a 1.7ghz oldie btw.
-the wave window flickers, not allways but often

but
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Zwischena.jpg
Views:	551
Size:	715.8 KB
ID:	50994  
Old 8th February 2014, 14:19   #20
mookee

wait a second, i forgot

you did a great job here werner, no one will ever doubt this, espezially not me.. just for that.!
BUTif it would be possible to ADDITIONALLy:

say u use a key like ^ while you are sellecting a playlistfile --> the selectet files waveform appears instead off the allready playing one. you could now choose a desired point inside the next tracks wave by doubleklickin it -->the new track now starts there.

..it would be awsome. actually not only awsome. its the point of the whole story as i remember now playing with it hard. you could now make a crossfade from the right point of the current song to the "right" point of the next song

V chris
Old 8th February 2014, 17:38   #21
wernerml

Quote:
use a key like ^ while you are sellecting a playlistfile --> the selectet files waveform appears instead off the allready playing one
it's a great idea! (also, a "cache" to save every sound waveform!)

Quote:
you did a great job here werner
thanks but it wasn't me who did this plugin... i'm waiting answers from the developer, which I don't think uses this forum... (i'm gonna send him a link to this post)
Old 8th February 2014, 18:27   #22
Gargaj

Plugin dev here.

Quote:
say u use a key like ^ while you are sellecting a playlistfile --> the selectet files waveform appears instead off the allready playing one.
That doesn't really make sense to me. The point is to seek in wavefiles visually, not to browse them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wernerml View Post
it's a great idea! (also, a "cache" to save every sound waveform!)
It's already cached actually.
Gargaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2014, 03:45   #23
wernerml

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargaj View Post
Ohh, I haven't realised!!!! LUXURY!!!!
they are all cached at: %AppData%\Winamp\Plugins\wavecache

(I'm eager to see the final, 100% working, version!)

and I'll post some tricks I did (with AutoHotkey) to merge the window inside winamp!
(cutting the borders, resizing, etc...), if you guys wanna see how it's running here, take a look: http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/2531/4zuz.png

keep up the awesome work man!!!!
Old 9th February 2014, 12:18   #24
mookee

hey gargaj

so you did the trick?! cool. did you know this threat before you made it?

it seems that we had two different intentions but came up with the same idea for it.

you need the wave to get a detailed look into a allready playing file, i guess to easily find some point you are espezially interested in. thats cool!). but the way i see it, you can only use this feature in minor cases, like when you are not eager to listen to your music but to seek through it. also, dont forget, you cant edit files in winamp, so it wont help you for these kind of matters!

me instead need the wave for a djing situation. its like you know your music and you think about "crossing" from playing track A to next track B, as you know that track B has a moment within which would be a good one for the crossfade. now its impossible to find that startpoint in B without prelistening (also you cant choose a startpoint for the next track in winamp anyway!!) NOW, with a viewable wavetrack of track B you can at least estimate that good next startpoint, and if playing A comes to the point when its nice to be relived by track B you could click the right point in the B wave and, if you are lucky, you have a propriate cross"fade" from A to B (without ever prelistening B)

the way i see it thats a great (gimmik) achivement about that waveseeker, to enable at least some kind of reasonable djing within winamp.

i hope you dont feel offended, as i think you made an awsome pice of plugin here, and if you came up with it by reading this threat am even more greatfull! really. buts it just doesnt end at this developing state. as i started that threat i thought it would be overwhelming for the readers and developers if i try to explain them the waveseeker AND the dj solution at once, so am comming up with it now. i hope thats ok, and doesnt make the developing more complicated as i shurely allready is.

please think about it gargj. try what i said: play a nice song of yours and before it gets to an ending try to play a next nice song, in a way you feel to be harmonic. you will see what mean than, in general it doesnt work without a propriate choosen startpoint.
and last but not least, its a gimmik, i admit, and even so far great work
Old 9th February 2014, 13:48   #25
mookee

my winamp suddenly crushes when i press my forward - backward (maybe all) shortcuts more often then twize at once ^(guess thats because waveseek is prozessing each track and gets overloaded when you jump too often... anyone the same experience?

(and for far later:
oh, by the way, the chache sh/could be able to save cue points, viewable in the waveform by lines, - like pressing xy within the wavewindow saves the LAST choosen point and leaves a line there.

omg - so much to do, so less time)

Last edited by mookee; 9th February 2014 at 15:32.
Old 20th February 2014, 14:42   #26
mookee

WHATS up...all sleepy?)
Old 20th February 2014, 14:54   #27
wernerml

Quote:
The (pré)version that "DrO" sent to me is almost perfect for the latest Winamp release...

The only problem is when changing tracks "during/in the middle" of the creation of the waveform, it crashes (sometimes)...

(I don't want to bother "Gargaj", specially becouse I've got this (pré)(almost-perfect)version here (only me), but it seems other people would appreciate too!)

Keep it up! =D
Old 26th February 2014, 19:47   #28
Gargaj

I put out a new version to http://code.google.com/p/gen-waveseek/ which has some rudimentary .CUE sheet support - I find it handy with longer mixes.
Old 28th February 2014, 08:58   #29
wernerml

Yayyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
I put out a new version to http://code.google.com/p/gen-waveseek/
YEAYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!
I was waiting anxiously for a newone!!!! keep it up man!!! thanks!

Hey, could you fix the crashing when changing tracks (during a waveform rendering)?

Last edited by wernerml; 28th February 2014 at 09:36. Reason: added a wish
Old 28th May 2015, 06:29   #30
Atys-Ra

I know it's been a while since this topic's been visited, but I was wondering if there might still be anyone around to help. I've emailed both Gargaj and DrO, but I wanted to post here, as well.

The issue I've been having is that I can't get Gen-Waveseek to install properly. The specific problem is apparently that the DLL is not being written, though my "Plugins" directory is writeable.

Here's the link I downloaded the installation files from:

https://github.com/gargaj/gen-waveseek

And this is the error message I get from my "installer.nsi" compiler (NSIS):

File: "Release\gen_waveseek.dll" -> no files found.
Usage: File [/nonfatal] [/a] ([/r] [/x filespec [...]] filespec [...] |
/oname=outfile one_file_only)
Error in script "C:\Program Files (x86)\Winamp5\Plugins\gen-waveseek-master\installer.nsi" on line 105 -- aborting creation process

I know Gargaj commented with this in the file:

; File to extract
; File "${PLUG_FILE}.dll"
; if you're script is in the project folder then the following file path is
; likely to apply otherwise just alter the path as needed

But I don't know if I have the installer in the right directory. This is where I have it now:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Winamp\Plugins\gen-waveseek-master

Should I be running/compiling "installer.nsi" in a different location and/or do I need to create a "Release" directory somewhere?

Any help would be greatly appreciate, as I know this thread is pretty old at this point.

I'd really love to see this plugin run, though.

Thank you -- any and all -- in advance.

Edit: I'm running Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit, Intel Core i5-2540M CPU @ 2.60GHz. I have Winamp version 5.666, and I know Gargaj wrote that Gen-Waveseek has issues with 5.666, but I got mine from DrO's site (which Gargaj recommended) which apparently has a patch: http://winampplugins.co.uk/Winamp/ (I downloaded the full U.S. English version.)
Atys-Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2015, 12:00   #31
DrO

you need to build gen_waveseek.dll (the error indicates that there is no file found).
had thought there was a pre-built version by Gargaj somewhere but i don't see one.
Old 28th May 2015, 15:43   #32
Atys-Ra

DrO - right, got it and thank you for replying.

The thing is though that I don't know why the installer isn't building the DLL. Do I have to run it from a specific directory?

I even tried editing the "installer.nsi" code in the following way, changing line 105 from this:

File "Release\${PLUG_FILE}.dll"

To this:

File "${PLUG_FILE}.dll"

So that I wouldn't have to worry about the "Release" directory (if that's what that is) figuring into things. But I still got the same error, albeit with mention of the "Release" directory removed:

File: "gen_waveseek.dll" -> no files found.
Usage: File [/nonfatal] [/a] ([/r] [/x filespec [...]] filespec [...] |
/oname=outfile one_file_only)
Error in script "C:\Program Files (x86)\Winamp5\Plugins\gen-waveseek-master\installer.nsi" on line 105 -- aborting creation process

Is there anything you (or anyone else) can tell me about why the DLL would be failing to be built?

I'm pretty desperate here, so believe me, I'll try anything.
Old 28th May 2015, 15:59   #33
DrO

the NSIS installer script doesn't build the plug-in from source code. you have to compile the source into the plug-in dll (not something that NSIS will be able to do) and then the NSIS installer will have something to include (as long as the compile of the plug-in dll was successful).

really it's a question for Gargaj why there's no pre-built plug-in dll present. or you need to sort out building the plug-in dll from source code with visual studio or something like that first and ignore the NSIS installer aspect as you'd then have the plug-in present to put in your Winamp folder directly.
Old 28th May 2015, 17:14   #34
Atys-Ra

Ok understood, I think. Do you happen to know whether there's anyone on here who could just send me the DLL? (Besides Gargaj, of course.)

But so are you saying I'd open "installer.nsi" with Visual Studio and then *that* would create the DLL? There doesn't seem to be much mention on the Web of anything but NSIS being able to open an NSI file.

In any case, do you know how well this plug-in works? I see that the discussion ended abruptly when Wernerml mentioned it crashes when changing tracks.
Old 28th May 2015, 17:29   #35
wernerml

Here Atys-Ra: gen_waveseek.dll
I don't know if I can post this link here... if it gets deleted, contact me:

Atys-Ra: Contact me at: wernerml@gmail.com

it's working great!
There are only 2 problems:

1. If you change track "during/in the middle" of the creation of the waveform, it crashes Winamp. (Solution: create a script/plugin/whatever (i'm using AutoHotkey) to only play the first 8~10 seconds of the songs, and LET IT CREATE ALL WAVEFORMS!)

2. If you run Winamp with no files in the Playlist it crashes (won't run). (Solution: Uninstall plugin (or simply remove "gen_waveseek.dll" from "\Winamp\Plugins" folder, Run winamp, put some music in the Playlist, Close, install plugin again!)
Old 28th May 2015, 17:46   #36
Atys-Ra

Holy sh*t! Wernerml, you rock! It works perfectly!

Of course, I'm also hugely grateful to the developers Gargaj, and DrO, as well.

Thank you guys so incredibly much -- you absolutely made my week.

I just want to say that what you guys do matters a lot to people like me. There's still a huge fanbase for Winamp and people who are involved in any way with it are doing folks like myself a huge favor.

You guys mean a lot -- thank you for making me so happy!
Old 28th May 2015, 19:14   #37
mookee

...not to mention the one who came up with that plugin thank you

but yeah, wernerml! dr.o and Gargaj, u rock ! as allways
Old 28th May 2015, 19:15   #38
wernerml

Old 28th May 2015, 20:04   #39
Atys-Ra

Indeed, Mookee, you're spot-on. I don't know the first thing about creating a DLL, much less one that does something as cool as render an audio waveform.

Plus, I've looked *all over* for this kind of thing, and Gen-Waveseek is the *only* Winamp plugin I've ever found that draws -- and actually lets you interact -- with the audio signature.

Sure, there are tons of "visualization" plugins, but nearly all of those are just eye candy. Gen-Waveseek is actually useful, particularly in a DJ situation, as you pointed out when you started this thread.

So thank you too for creating this thread, Mookee -- without it, I doubt I would have discovered Gargaj's plugin.
Old 28th May 2015, 20:32   #40
Gargaj

A pre-compiled binary is available at https://github.com/Gargaj/gen-wavese...tag/2014-02-06
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Wishlist