Old 6th October 2002, 18:16   #1
bobb0

My first impressions after installing Winamp3

ACK! More memory usage, higher cpu load, slower performance, slower load time... this is not what I look for in my media playing utilities. It seems that Winamp3 is trying to encompass everything I hate about Windows Media Player 7!

But, the thing that really gets me... where are my visualization options? I like the refresh rate ~70fps, analyser falloff on fast, and peaks falloff on medium-slow (position 2/5 from the left).

This creates a very nice effect in the spectrum analyser. Anyway, I'm going to use 2.x for the time being.

The skins support however, is amazing. I forget the name of the skin I downloaded, but it was absolutely wild! Added a lot of load to the CPU as well though!

Something that strikes me as odd in the prefs: there are 2 locations that allow you to (en/dis)able directsound.

Call me a minimalist, but I actually prefer winamp 2.x's playlist editor too. i don't need multiple playlists, and infact, i hardly ever use playlist files except to organise cds into their original track order (part of my old naming convention preference).. either way, they're nothing i need winamp to track for me.

i was surprised to find built-in support for ogg vorbis. good show!

hmm, maybe winamp3 lite could have a stripped down playlist editor? note: i've always downloaded the lite versions... who needs all those extra features?

utilities like winamp, winzip, file viewers, etc... should always be ~1mb. to me, that's the definition of quality software.

anyway, i'm done bitching.... i know a lot of work has been put into winamp3, it's a nice prototype, but you've got a ways to go to get it back to the effeciency level winamp 2 enjoyed.
Old 7th October 2002, 05:59   #2
GX1327

Send a message via Yahoo to GX1327
smaller than 1 meg? do you know how big mp3 files are?
Old 7th October 2002, 06:44   #3
sanosuke
Major Dude

all the things u said abt winamp3 being slower would be fixed in the next release. A lite version should be making it's way as well....give it time ok...it is only its first release.

As for Ogg support winamp2 also has that.
Old 7th October 2002, 13:59   #4
bobb0

GX1327: I never said I expect my MP3s to be under 1mb! That's just silly. I expect my UTILITIES, the PROGRAMS I play my media with, to be under 1mb. For example, Winamp2 Lite is 497KB to download. That is what I like.

sanosuke: You're saying the vorbis plugin comes bundled with Winamp2? So it does, I see... if you download the standard version or higher, which makes sense... that explains why I was having such a bitch of a time trying to find the plugin on the plugins page! (Hint to webmaster)

Fire alarm.. gotta go.
Old 8th October 2002, 10:55   #5
sanosuke
Major Dude

yup it is in standard.....lite only supports mp3...but hey it is just 1 over mb....i am sure u can wait for it dl.

but i do agree with u abt the hint to webmaster...have a coloum from support for other file formats eg wave, midi, ogg
Old 12th October 2002, 00:24   #6
Ikaria

I liked winamp3
But I prefer 2.81 too =)
Imo winamp is trying to be as others media players: full of features and so darn slow =/
Why can't u make the spectrum faster at least?
That's one of the best things in winamp 2.81 =D

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp3 > Winamp3 Discussion > Winamp3 Wishlist