X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Siorai
    • May 2010

2 words. Triple Monitor

Well, surprisingly enough, it didn't take that long. Couple of days after I got my 2 new screens, and some finagling with nvidia beta drivers, I was able to get milkdrop to pump out ***6027x1080*** resolution just fine.

Let me start off by saying I've spent in excess of $5,000.00 USD, to be able to do this. No joke. Sure, I can play most games at absolute full, but in reality, I built this specifically for milkdrop. Call me crazy. But sweet mother of all that is right with the world, has it ever been worth it. Oh man.

So good in fact, I thought I'd share it with you guys, as I know many of you guys have tried to do this.

Firstly, let me start off by saying, as I basically built a near top of the line gaming rig 2 years ago to do this at full frame rates. Specs are as follows.

Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650 3.0 oc'd to 4.0
    4gb OCZ 1333 @ 4-3-3-3
    2 x GTX 260's in Tri SLI

Currently on 3 x acer 21.5 inch screens.

Also, I know their on the floor, but I couldn't wait, as my mounting brackets are in the mail.

I did have a question or two though.

I've noticed that no matter what I put the tweaker settings on (mesh, canvas, etc) on, whenever it dips below 60 FPS, my GPU's still aren't ramping up, I'm guessing that's because it's so dependent on the CPU, which would mean the only way to get it to higher detail, would be to either OC even further, or go with a core i7 and OC that to hell, right?

Well, my question, is, is there a way to offload any of the CPU processing over to the GPU? Specially with all those steam cores, one would think you could really make those new lovely 200/400 series nvidia's really take things up a few notches.

From my understanding though, that would basically require a rewrite of the entire program in order to make it use CUDA, but I think you could really have something.

I'd be willing to -learn- to program to do this. No lie.

Welp, without further adieu, here it is.

This is a slightly better video of one I posted earlier of milkdrop running on my new setup, sorry it's on the floor, but the mounting brackets are still in ...

The following screenshot was taken in fake fullscreen mode, so it's not the full resolution, oh well

EDIT: Not sure where to put this, so please mods, put this in the appropriate forum XD
  • ctrlshift
    • Sep 2001

pretty amazing... maybe i'll get video cards with fans in them next time

Comment

Working...
    X