Old 7th December 2003, 12:23   #521
YtseJam
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to YtseJam Send a message via AIM to YtseJam
Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
If you want it so bad, then either wait for DrO to finish his plugin, or forget about Winamp 5 and use Wasabi.Player instead ...
Then I guess we'll have to wait for DrO's plug-in, because...
Quote:
Personally, I'm perfectly happy with storing playlists in the library and opening them from the playlist window, without the need for the library to even be open.
Some of us, aren't using Modern skins, and therefore don't have those menu entries to open playlists from the ML via the PL (not that I'd use it anyhow, I prefer instant access and I do not want to have the ML open... )
Old 7th December 2003, 12:43   #522
eiSi

the winamp 5 betas are really good, I just downloaded the recently released RC10.

but what I would appreciate is the ability to rate songs within your playlist: what I mean is the missing context menu item (as it is in the media library context menu)

what do you think about that?
don't you also want to have that feature integrated?

regards,
eiSi
Old 7th December 2003, 13:11   #523
The Serminator

Location: on the road to Elysium with my pockets full of diamonds
Quote:
Originally posted by will
Umm.. hello? Isn't that just what I posted?

I'd go into details of the delays, but I'm not allowed to. Safe to say AOL hasn't got their end ready yet.

Yes, that's what you just posted -- and we appreciate it.

And you've answered my other question -- the "real" explanations are off limits. Fair nuff. Nuff said.

Thanks again for your hard work.

"Come with me, if you want to live."
Old 7th December 2003, 13:42   #524
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Quote:
Originally posted by nant
Then I guess we'll have to wait for DrO's plug-in, because...

Some of us, aren't using Modern skins, and therefore don't have those menu entries to open playlists from the ML via the PL
Tough shit then, lol
Did you use classic skins with Winamp3 as well?
Any particular reason for not using the modern skin?
That's where all the new Winamp 5.0 features are implemented,
but not a lot can be done with the static inflexible classic base skin.
In fact, the only real new features (apart from Advanced Title Formatting, and a few new/extra plugins) supplied by classic skin mode are in the ml, mainly because this is a plugin and not tied to winamp.exe (like main, pledit, eq). But you don't even want to use the ml, so you're kind of stuck there my friend. Not much anyone can do about it really . . . apart from chanting "Go DrO Go!"

@ eiSi
Your wish has been requested many many times.
That's why we added it to the official wishlist a week or two ago.
Old 7th December 2003, 14:05   #525
thepyr0x
Major Dude

Does anybody else find it ironic that a company that shoved an unfinished product out the doors and subsequently ruined it both for the customers and the developers; is now holding back a finished product that's already a month overdue?

I mean, Christ....

Old 7th December 2003, 14:05   #526
YtseJam
Forum King

DJ Egg,

I thought the right-click menus in Winamp 2.x are the same no matter what skin you're using, Classic or Modern... (Apparently that's not the case though, 'cause these menus entries are missing in Classic skins, blah (Why really?)).

I switch between Classic to Modern depending on my current desktop style and the skin that matches what I want/need best.
I don't use the new default [Modern] skin that Nullsoft supplies 'cause it doesn't scale well (100% is too big, 80% looks weird, etc...)

I do use the ML occasionaly, BTW.

Old 7th December 2003, 14:35   #527
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

But the "open playlist from library" command isn't available in the right click menus for modern skins either. It's only available via the File menu in the Modern Skin playlist or via the Manage Playlist / List button in all modern/freeform skins.
It can't be added to the classic skin List Opts button, because the List Opts button just leads to 3 sub-buttons (New, Save, Load) and these cannot be modified to include a submenu, not that I know of anyway.... but I agree that it would be nice, eg.
List Opts -> Load:
Playlist from file | Playlist from ML | Media View result from ML
However, the 2nd two sub-buttons would then need their own submenus to list the available playlists & views . . . and again, I don't think this is possible with the static classic skin.

btw, I'm sorry to hear that you don't like the modern skin.
impo, it's f00kin' awesome! Nigh on perfect in every way.
Old 7th December 2003, 14:52   #528
YtseJam
Forum King

DJ Egg,

I didn't say I don't like the skin, it's quite a nice skin, just doesn't fit where I need.

And, well, sucks.

Old 7th December 2003, 15:08   #529
noneofexion

although it may increase the size of the installer a bit, the modern skin graphic files should be a higher resolution - maybe so the default 100% scale setting is actually 50% downscaled from the skin's graphics - "double-sized" then is 100% the graphic size and would mean no blurring, since that's the original size of the graphics.

you just need a good downsample filter that doesnt blur the hell out of it when downscaling the graphic to 50% (which would be the "100%" scale setting) - and to make sure that text is readable at 50%. thats it.

this way, for ultra-high res situations 1600x1200 and beyond (or even 1280x960 - a common LCD res), when upscaled to 150% or 200%, so that its not so hard to see on the screen, it wont look blur-i-licious as it does now since it always upsamples. instead itll be downsampling @ 150% scale setting and even remains non-blurry with a 1:1 pixel ratio at the 200% scale setting.

what i mean is:

currently (ive tried up to rc8 at least):
with Scale Setting 100% the Graphic Scale of Skin is 100%. No change.
With a scale setting of 200%, the graphic is blown up 200%... blurry.

It should be at a scale setting of 100%, the graphics are actually 50% original size. At a scale setting of 200%, the graphic files used to construct the skin are not blown up - thats their original size, and so theres no blur.

dont know if this counts as a new feature or wont be implemented now because its a pain - but in the future it should be, IMO
Old 7th December 2003, 15:43   #530
Plague
f(caffeine){
return wasabi;
}
(Forum King)

Quote:
But the "open playlist from library" command isn't available in the right click menus for modern skins either. It's only available via the File menu in the Modern Skin playlist or via the Manage Playlist / List button in all modern/freeform skins.
It can't be added to the classic skin List Opts button, because the List Opts button just leads to 3 sub-buttons (New, Save, Load) and these cannot be modified to include a submenu, not that I know of anyway.... but I agree that it would be nice, eg.
List Opts -> Load:
However, the 2nd two sub-buttons would then need their own submenus to list the available playlists & views . . . and again, I don't think this is possible with the static classic skin.

btw, I'm sorry to hear that you don't like the modern skin.
impo, it's f00kin' awesome! Nigh on perfect in every way.
actually, one of the reasons the Modern skin has more menus and more options in the menus, is that some of the menus are created in the skin itself, ie: in xml and maki, and is actually NOT just a part of the modern skin support. What that means is that not all modern skins will have those menus, unless the skin authors re-create them for every skin.
It's as simple as that.

About the classic skins not beeing able to have submenus in the pledit: sure they can!
Just look at the Misc menu, it has submenus for both Misc Options and Sort.
It would be just as easy to change some of the other menu-"buttons" to show a submenu instead.

The Pledit IS very limited, but it's not THAT limited.

And finally, about the Modern skin, yea it's extremely well done.
Bartibartman has outdone himself with this one.
It makes Winamp feel more like a "real" media player, instead of just THE mp3 player.
The best feature of the modern skin, when it comes to the "real" media player feel, is that Video/Vis can be attached to the main player.

However, no matter how good the Modern skin is, this is not really thanks to Winamp 5's "greatness", it would have been just as good or even better on Winamp3/Wasabi.Player, if it wasn't buried.

-Plague

"Winamp 5 is very good, but wasabi.player is better"
Old 7th December 2003, 16:06   #531
DrO

Quote:
actually, one of the reasons the Modern skin has more menus and more options in the menus, is that some of the menus are created in the skin itself, ie: in xml and maki, and is actually NOT just a part of the modern skin support. What that means is that not all modern skins will have those menus, unless the skin authors re-create them for every skin.
that's true, looking at the resources in the winamp.exe there's now two menus defined and it appears that some of the new ones need to be known about for the modern skins to get at them.

it does mean i've got to keep on my toes now when adding items to the player menus to ensure they will work correctly for classic and modern skins (the hard knock life of a plugin developer )

-daz
Old 7th December 2003, 16:30   #532
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

@ Plague
Yes, I know all that. But if Nullsoft adds any new sub-buttons to the classic base skin's pledit -> List Opts, this means that all 3rd-party classic skins will need updating to include these bmp's.
Whereas with 3rd-party modern skins, it doesn't matter if the extra relevant maki/xml is there or not. The skin is still going to work.
Note though how the "open playlist from media library" and "open media library view results" menus are already present in the pledit List button menu for ALL freeform skins, without the need for any of them to be updated...
Old 7th December 2003, 16:48   #533
Plague
f(caffeine){
return wasabi;
}
(Forum King)

yes but the classic skins doesn't have to be updated if you just add a submenu, NOT sub-buttons.
Like I said, look at the Sort sub-button in the Misc menu, it opens a standard win32 submenu with all the sort options..

subemenus like that can easily be added to any sub-button if Nullsoft wants to, thus making it possible to add just about anything you want to the pledit menus..

-Plague
Old 7th December 2003, 16:59   #534
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Hmm . . . right you are.

Therefore, it should be simple to implement my idea:

Classic pledit -> List Opts -> Load:

very similar to how it is in all modern skins
Old 7th December 2003, 17:07   #535
Plague
f(caffeine){
return wasabi;
}
(Forum King)

exactly.
That, or anything else you would want to add, can easily be added this way..

-Plague
Old 7th December 2003, 17:51   #536
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Yay!

/me adds this to my small 5.01 wishlist
Old 7th December 2003, 19:13   #537
SS4Matt

Send a message via AIM to SS4Matt Send a message via Yahoo to SS4Matt
Oopsie, sorry. I won't do it again. Anyway I've been using the RC 10 for a while and love it. Can't wait for Winamp 5 to come out. Who will the money go to if I buy Pro (wich I probabbly will)? Will it be Nullsoft, or Aol?
Old 7th December 2003, 19:24   #538
unfnknblvbl

Send a message via ICQ to unfnknblvbl
It'll go to paying for the MP3 and Sonic engine licenses.

Is there any way to enable Alpha Blending on the Modern Skin? It doesn't look terribly good if you scale it to 75% - and the song ticker text is all screwed up then as well
Old 7th December 2003, 19:24   #539
D&B
Banned

Quote:
And how many more times do you people need telling?
The playlist sidecar was a feature of Winamp3's pledit.wac component....
The integral playlist window code in Winamp is built into winamp.exe and is the exact same playlist in both Winamp 2.x and Winamp 5.x
There is no 'bringing it back' because it's never been a feature of Winamp.
It's not the freeform skin which enables the sidecar, it's the code in the pledit.wac wasabi component.

afaik, the Winamp playlist code CANNOT be modified to support the sidecar, not without breaking support for the entire classic skins database.
We know its not the same player, we just want it re-implemented. And just cause its on the wishlist does that mean we arent allowed to talk about it?

I still think a solution could be done with the classic skins, and if not, then fuck it, just do it in modern skins only. I dont know about everyone else, but I like the modern skin much better. I am sure the majority is probably the same way.
Old 7th December 2003, 19:31   #540
unfnknblvbl

Send a message via ICQ to unfnknblvbl
oh, and for some reason, ALT+3 doesn't seem to bring up the File Info dialog anymore
Old 7th December 2003, 19:51   #541
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Quote:
Originally posted by badrad
We know its not the same player, we just want it re-implemented. And just cause its on the wishlist does that mean we arent allowed to talk about it?

I still think a solution could be done with the classic skins, and if not, then fuck it, just do it in modern skins only. I dont know about everyone else, but I like the modern skin much better. I am sure the majority is probably the same way.
Something that's never been there can't be RE-implemented.
The integral playlist code is the same in both classic & modern skins,
regardless of what goes around it (ie. a skinned frame/window).

Sure, you'd think there MUST be a method of implementing/recompiling the sidecar code from Winamp3's pledit.wac wasabi component into the c++ Win32 pledit code of Winamp's winamp.exe so that only modern skins will see it...

Maybe it will happen one day, maybe never ?!
Without a response or confirmation from Nullsoft, it's all speculation.

All I can say is:
Go DrO Go!
Old 7th December 2003, 20:08   #542
amano
Major Dude

hmm, I hope that they are not too strict about the non added features.

If menno on hydrogenaudio is right, Nullsoft is working on MP4 (with iTUNES tagging) support. it is planned to include it in a 5.01 version, together with a converter that would convert those 5.00 AAC files (IDv2) into 5.01 MP4 files (iTUNES). If they can include MP4 support in Winamp 5.00, they could skip the converter and would save the world from (perhaps) masses of badly tagged AAC files.

I mean, I don't want that a winamp release is delayed for it, but if it gets ready in time, it would make a lot of sense to me, to include it already with winamp 5 (although a feature).

But I can't even know for sure, if Menno's source is right, but if it's true,...

EDIT: If I was Nullsoft, I would ship DrOs JTF Extension with Winamp, It's that great,...

eeeee eeeeeee eeeee eeeee eeeee
8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 88
8eee8 8e 8 8 8eee8 8e 8 8 8
88 8 88 8 8 88 8 88 8 8 8
88 8 88 8 8 88 8 88 8 8eee8
Old 7th December 2003, 20:22   #543
D&B
Banned

Quote:
Something that's never been there can't be RE-implemented.

Sure, you'd think there MUST be a method of implementing/recompiling the sidecar code from Winamp3's pledit.wac wasabi component into the c++ Win32 pledit code of Winamp's winamp.exe so that only modern skins will see it...
Your getting stuck up on words. I dont care if they wright the feature from scratch again. I never said that they need to use the code they already have written. We are off topic anyway, lets shut up. We'll leave it at people want it, nullosft knows, buts its kinda challenging so they arent doing it (yet?)

Quote:
All I can say is:
Go DrO Go!
Yea I agree. His other work is very slick, so if anyone can pull it off he can. Still, native support is better then a plugin that will frankly involve a startling amount of hacks.
Old 8th December 2003, 00:48   #544
bigru

beat visualisation not working
dunno why any help

i use xp rc 8 and 10 both dont work
Attached Files
File Type: zip beat not working.zip (82.6 KB, 207 views)
Old 8th December 2003, 00:56   #545
Nimelennar
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Nimelennar
You have to click on it to enable it...

The world is made of conflicts: good and evil, order and chaos, light and dark, hot and cold. All are essential to life. None can prevail for any length of time, or life will fail. In the end, the best any can hope for is balance.
Old 8th December 2003, 00:59   #546
Jumper001

Hrm.

Hrm.

I've been using Winamp for..well...forever now...'98 I think was when I started.

Aside from the small detour that is Wasabi Player, it's been a great 5 years. Even that wasn't so terrible, as it gave us all some good outlook on what we like/don't like about Winamp and gave birth to freeform skins.

5 years...WA5...how fitting. I remember when skins started skinning the Mini-Browser, let alone the ML. I have the names of skins memorized. I've found that playing with Winamp, looking for new plug-ins/skins/general new stuff can be more fun that most mediocre video games or TV/movie productions.

Winamp has always represented something - a mix of functionality and coolness with everything optimized and packaged to avoid the bloat that overtakes so many applications these days. I used to use ICQ back in the day, and I watched as it got so many 'features' added to it that they had to release a new 'ICQ Lite' to make it useable again. Not so with WA. I installed WA5 w/Classic skin on my 233 just like with ever other version and it runs just fine.

WA5 RC10 is great. I've been waiting for another major update for a while now, and it's been worth every minute. WA5 Pro will be worth every $$$ - if any program deserves my money, its the one that I've program run for 2 years worth of total time. I've got two sets of speakers hooked up to my soundcard and every night on weekends I crank it up, hit the 'old playlist and enjoy some tunes courtesy of good 'ole Winamp. I'm sure the people in my dorm love me

The whole AOL thing is frusterating, to be sure. I've referred a few friends to WA5 and they always ask 'why isn't it on the main page'. To think people may still be downloading Wasabi off the main page is extremely scary. I hope it all gets cleared up soon so the release can proceed.

The new Modern skin with integrated visualization/video, the new ML features, etc. should enhance Winamp's record as the Best Media Player Ever. I'm looking forward to reading the reviews once it comes out, and to continuing to show other the Llama Light. I've already converted my roommate, who thinks it's the best thing since sliced bread.

One thing I saw is that Milkdrop is included with WA5. I may have missed its inclusion in previous 2.xx releases, but I don't remember it being there. Along with the new AVS optimizations, this is a welcome addition to Winamp's 'stock' visualizations. I'm working on getting a pair of 3D glasses

Global hotkeys are great; setup is easy enough and no more messy plugins. Worked with my keyboard no sweat.

A lot of people have been asking for iTunes-compatable media library sharing over LANs. It seems like it might be a good idea, but I'd rather have Winamp come up with its own standard then playing follow-the-leader to iTunes. If it can be done without too much bloat.. Go for it. The Hydra ML plugin, if it's updated for WA5, is a good start, so Nullsoft might not even have to touch this one.

One question - what exactly are media library plugins? Is it a new way of adding things likeiPod access, LAN sharing, etc to the ML?
Old 8th December 2003, 01:14   #547
bigru

Quote:
Originally posted by Nimelennar
You have to click on it to enable it...
Im not that much of a retard thank god when u click it it just un checks it in the config box which i showed u before was selected

please give sensible solutions

thanks
Old 8th December 2003, 02:25   #548
WhiteRayven
Major Dude

Well comming from a person who posted a USELESS bug report, you have a lot of nerve.

Why make something idiot proof?? Someone will only make a better idiot!
Old 8th December 2003, 03:53   #549
evil_oj

Quote:
Originally posted by bigru
Im not that much of a retard thank god when u click it it just un checks it in the config box which i showed u before was selected

please give sensible solutions

thanks
When the:
checkbox is checked
the llamas are visible
and music is playing

click on one of the llamas.

I think you owe Nimelennar an apology.

also:
even if his solution didn't work, he would've been trying to help anyways.

3 I encode my music in Ogg Vorbis
I know enough about music and computers not to like computerized music.

Last edited by evil_oj; 8th December 2003 at 04:09.
Old 8th December 2003, 06:55   #550
bigru

yeah ok im sorry Nimelennar i was just a bit frustrated that i couldnt get my lamas headbaggin

also i would have been bothered to post a proper bug report if it had been a serious bug, i guess i should just keep my mouth shut so i dont offend anyone, sorry again peoples

also i give Nimelennar the permission to flame me anytime he needs to take his anger out on someone
Old 8th December 2003, 10:48   #551
mrrabbit

Send a message via ICQ to mrrabbit
Quote:
Originally posted by evil_oj
The progressbar is still there when Winamp's main window is in windowshade mode (mini-mode), it's really small, but it's on the far right, just left of the minimize button. It's pretty small.

Maybe you could put the main window into Double-size mode to make it's progress bar bigger?
I c what u mean, but that progressbar isnt visible to me normally, u need to drag the main window larger then it appears, i think it shud be located on the video window aswell.
Old 8th December 2003, 11:29   #552
mrrabbit

Send a message via ICQ to mrrabbit
Quote:
Originally posted by mrrabbit
I c what u mean, but that progressbar isnt visible to me normally, u need to drag the main window larger then it appears, i think it shud be located on the video window aswell.
EDIT: This is what i ment.

Old 8th December 2003, 15:37   #553
evil_oj

Quote:
Originally posted by bigru
yeah ok im sorry Nimelennar i was just a bit frustrated that i couldnt get my lamas headbaggin

also i would have been bothered to post a proper bug report if it had been a serious bug, i guess i should just keep my mouth shut so i dont offend anyone, sorry again peoples

also i give Nimelennar the permission to flame me anytime he needs to take his anger out on someone
Cool, now you're fully respectable again.

3 I encode my music in Ogg Vorbis
I know enough about music and computers not to like computerized music.
Old 8th December 2003, 15:43   #554
WhiteRayven
Major Dude

Yup, I agree.

Why make something idiot proof?? Someone will only make a better idiot!
Old 8th December 2003, 16:01   #555
thepyr0x
Major Dude

Now here's a question nobody knows how to answer.

When 5 was first announced, and we were all like "yay! Winamp2 codebase with Winamp3 skins" and such...I thought "Great! Winamp2's speed, a whole new app, and I don't hafta ditch my skins and scripts"

The problem is...Winamp5 has nowhere for scripts. I mean, if I really want em yes I can go and shove the script into the skin...but what if I want it in another skin?

Is there ever going to be a way in 5 to use just standalone scripts? I mean, the capability is there....

Old 8th December 2003, 16:10   #556
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

You are correct, no-one here knows the answer.
I guess only someone from Nullsoft can provide an answer to that one.
My answer would be "use wasabi.player instead" . <<
Old 8th December 2003, 16:14   #557
thepyr0x
Major Dude

well....Wasabi.player isn't complete yet either, is it?
or...is it?
I've only heard bits and pieces about it.

Anyways, doesn't that sound kinda stupid to you?
I mean, the program already supports said scripts; and all it really is is a nice shortcut on the options pane that allows you to load scripts not loaded automatically by the skin itself...
it sounds stupid NOT to include it...

Old 8th December 2003, 16:18   #558
Plague
f(caffeine){
return wasabi;
}
(Forum King)

not all of us were like "yay! Winamp2 codebase with Winamp3 skins"..

There are still people who are pretty upset about that whole deal with replacing winamp3 with a winamp2/3 hybrid based on 2, not 3.
Just like there were alot of people who were upset about 3 not beeing up to the standard of 2 at it's first release..

oh well, I just had to say that..

-Plague
Old 8th December 2003, 16:45   #559
ayye_nako

hey guys I was wondering waht skin this is?

Old 8th December 2003, 16:49   #560
thepyr0x
Major Dude

Plague: I was excited about 5. Then they said "we're killing winamp3" and I was pissed. Ah well. No biggie

ayye: that's the Modern skin. the default Winamp5 skin.

Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion