Old 22nd November 2003, 04:18   #201
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Quote:
Originally posted by starwiz
My take on it is pretty simple: I don't have any "bad" songs in my library either, but I have some that I like listening to more than others. Ratings give me the ability to designate those songs easily...
Yes. That makes a lot of sense.
Old 22nd November 2003, 05:38   #202
ozloi

Send a message via AIM to ozloi
is there a way to get the avs to work on the desktop without the avs window open (like in milkdrop)? i have it on my desktop with overlay mode on, but every time i go to close the AVS window it stops running on my desktop...i would jsut use fullscreen, but for some reason it slows down considerably with fullscreen whereas on my desktop it runs smoothly. if alternatively you know how to keep it up to speed in fullscreen that would be great.

System specs:
windowsXP
P4 1.8Ghz 1GB RAM
Nvidea GEForce Ti 4200

edit:
nevermind, i just realized that i can minimize winamp and it works like milkdrop
Old 22nd November 2003, 09:03   #203
Bh420

Winamp 5 RC8 running great here no crashes no bugs ive noticed other then video bug i posted to bug list topic. Been running it constantly since I got it the day it came out runs great I love it!!
Old 22nd November 2003, 10:52   #204
punkpk

Yes.Give us Cover Art view !

please
Old 22nd November 2003, 12:19   #205
amano
Major Dude

I think that cover art isn't essential for a media player. that's what plugins are for. keep it that way, don't make it bloated!

-amano, still hoping for a "standard/medium" release

eeeee eeeeeee eeeee eeeee eeeee
8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 88
8eee8 8e 8 8 8eee8 8e 8 8 8
88 8 88 8 8 88 8 88 8 8 8
88 8 88 8 8 88 8 88 8 8eee8
Old 22nd November 2003, 12:27   #206
wa21guy

Send a message via AIM to wa21guy Send a message via Yahoo to wa21guy
Cover art has become more and more of a demand. It's been included in the ID3v2 specs and I think Winamp should natively support anything related to those specs, whether they are lyrics, cover art, etc.

No offense, but Winamp has some extremely tough competition (WMP, iTunes, Real, MusicMatch) so they are going to need to include those features. I almost completely switched to iTunes for some of these basic reasons.

How about instead of the new "Beat" thing in the player, they give us an option to show the cover art there instead? It won't bloat anything and you can still keep it simple, trust me.

Ethan
Old 22nd November 2003, 13:29   #207
sambartle

I only just noticed this as i just installed 5, but apart from this one thing i have to say its the best Winamp ever..

The Milkdrop plugin that is included in 5 is later 1.04a than the official one 1.04, but it misses out a lot of the presets of 1.04 like Geiss - Feedback, also the presets that are there seem to be screwed (Geiss - Feedback 2 just looks wrong)

Has anyone else noticed this? Installing Milkdrop 1.04 fixed it but i just thought i'd check to see if this was just my PC or if the plugin has been changed for WA5. If so, why?

Thanks
Old 22nd November 2003, 13:50   #208
amano
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by wa21guy
It's been included in the ID3v2 specs and I think Winamp should natively support anything related to those specs, whether they are lyrics, cover art, etc.
Basically you can store any data in the IDv2 tags. Supporting anything might be a huge aim for nullsoft. you can store there your grandmother's bithday as well.
and IDv2 is not a good spec. look around in the wishlist, support for apev2 tags is demanded there for years.

Quote:
How about instead of the new "Beat" thing in the player, they give us an option to show the cover art there instead? It won't bloat anything and you can still keep it simple, trust me.
no I don't trust you. the beat detector is moden skin only. so switchng to an alternative skin would render this feature useless.

if you like the skin only approach, beg those people in the skinner forum to make a cover reading skin for you.

eeeee eeeeeee eeeee eeeee eeeee
8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 88
8eee8 8e 8 8 8eee8 8e 8 8 8
88 8 88 8 8 88 8 88 8 8 8
88 8 88 8 8 88 8 88 8 8eee8
Old 22nd November 2003, 14:05   #209
Jorlin

Global Hotkeys

Hi!

Hope a developer reads this:

Although it sounds a bit paradox, now that you have implemented GlobalHotkeys as a plugin, it would be grate if you could also implement a key combination to enable it or disable it.

Why?
For instance: I am using a IR remote controle with my laptop. Since WinAmp is not a supported player I can only use common arrow keys on the remote to control winamp with the help of GlobalHotkeys.
But certainly I need those keys sometimes. Instead of opening the preferences everytime, it would be nicer to have a hotkey combination to en- or disable it.

Thanks in advance!
Old 22nd November 2003, 14:47   #210
Gonzotek
Gunslinger

Quote:
Cover art has become more and more of a demand. It's been included in the ID3v2 specs and I think Winamp should natively support anything related to those specs, whether they are lyrics, cover art, etc.

No offense, but Winamp has some extremely tough competition (WMP, iTunes, Real, MusicMatch) so they are going to need to include those features. I almost completely switched to iTunes for some of these basic reasons.

Ethan
Brennan did a wa3 skin back in Jan. that could display coverart.
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....418#post844418

When the wasabi add-on manager makes it back to wa5, I could create a window and show artwork in the same manner as that skin, pretty easily. Pulling it from the id3 tag wouldn't be possible unless the tag reader and maki were both updated to support that, but I don't see that happening soon. I think having a seperate art file is a cleaner solution as well. 1 image, embedded 17(x) times vs. 1 image, in a seperate file in the same directory as your mp3s. I can easily use that file in any other software (ie I don't have to use my media player to extract it for manipulation in Photoshop). Using Windows Explorer (or any other view of the directories) it's easy to see which albums have covers and which are missing them.

Does iTunes support lyrics? Same as cover art, once the add-on manager makes it back, I had a pretty decent, flexible lyrics solution available for wa3 and could make it available for wa5.

-=Gonzotek=-

I was away for a while.
But I'm feeling much better now.
Old 22nd November 2003, 15:00   #211
xbite

bug with enqueue to winamp

If I try to add some shared folder from other machine using "Enqueue" it only adds folder's name to playlist.

Old 22nd November 2003, 15:31   #212
TobyG

Does anyone else have a Logitech Cordless Freedom Keyboard? The media keys (play-pause/next/previous/stop) don't seem to work with RC8.
Old 22nd November 2003, 17:03   #213
Reaper
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by TobyG
Does anyone else have a Logitech Cordless Freedom Keyboard? The media keys (play-pause/next/previous/stop) don't seem to work with RC8.
Do you have the Itouch software isntalled? Also, try this plugin, it worked when I had my Logitech keyboard, even without the Itouch software installed.

[offtopic]
Btw, TobyG, I'm from Chauvin.
[/offtopic]

ml_iPod - [Homepage] | [Forums] | [Wiki]
Old 22nd November 2003, 17:32   #214
Jan L

just thought about writing something

well I'm using Winamp for some years now and it was always my favourite mp3/Media-player

Winamp 5 is perfect

So let me say THANK YOU!!!

I read now quite much here in the forums and wanted to say my opinion about different suggestions I found here and to present some other ideas (at least I didn't find them here...)

1. Counting: I think it would be the best solution to count a song after it is played 30 seconds. My problem: Sometimes a song is counted, when it just played for 1 or 2 seconds. That's not good for the statistics . But it also happens that I start to listen to a new song, a few seconds before the old one was played completely. So the songs should also not be counted after they are played completely.

2. Rating: you should really be able to rate the songs also from the playlist.

3. taskbar control: I would really be happy to see this WMP9 feature in Winamp. I Think it would be quite useful.

4. Config and Video/Vis-Buttons of the main window: My playlist is docked at the bottom of the main window. Playlist and Main window fill the veritcal of the screen. If I open e.g. the equalizer the playlist is moved to the bottom, so that I can't see its Add, Rem, ... Buttons. That's stupid! A solution would be, if the playlist would automatically get smaller then.

5. color themes: 1. I can't get enaugh of them, I hope there will be more in feature versions of WA5! 2. There should be an option so that they change automacally after a song is played. Maybe this should happen after 5 seconds of playtime, cause otherwise this would could maybe make the PC slower.

last one, for the present. Cover Art and Lyrics: I read here some ideas to integrate Cover Art into the main window. I don't think that we have to see it all the time... It would be better if there would be a new window, in which you can find the album art (maybe not only the front cover) as well as the lyrics. So if you feel like you must see the cover or if you want to read the lyrics, you can find it there. You don't need these things all the time...

Sorry for my english. Ask me, if you don't understand s.th.! Auf Deutsch könnte ich mich sicherlich besser artikulieren .
Old 22nd November 2003, 20:15   #215
ProneaX

Send a message via AIM to ProneaX
Quote:
Originally posted by badrad
Heres a suggestion (I know its an RC, but just listen).

I love having position, size, opacity, and everything unlinked between the main view and the windowshade mode...could we have "Always on Top" status unlinked? When my winamp is in windowshade, I always have it always on top and throw the bar at the top of my screen. But when I switch to the main window, I do not want that monstrosity on top.
YES!! I've wanted this feature for a long time, specifically because I want my windowshade to be on top but not the media library... anyway, it seems like it would be pretty easy to change.
Old 22nd November 2003, 20:42   #216
Jan L

Quote:
Originally posted by ProneaX
YES!! I've wanted this feature for a long time, specifically because I want my windowshade to be on top but not the media library... anyway, it seems like it would be pretty easy to change.
that sounds good. additionally to that the PL, ML and other windows could close, when you switch to winshade mode. And perhaps you should be able to switch between normal and winshade mode by clicking on the Winamp Agent Button in the taskabar.
Old 22nd November 2003, 21:40   #217
Amiantos

Send a message via AIM to Amiantos
I was trying to do this and realized there is no way: A filter option that will filter based on total tracks in an artist/album. I want to edit my default Audio view so it wont show artists that don't have more than 1 track... I finally added all my soundtracks and compilations and now it's impossible to conviently look through for my fave artists without using search. If I could have it not show me artists who only have 1 track, that would be excellent.

A better way to fix this would be to have a "Compilation" mode that will allow you to say "This album is a compilation, please show all tracks from this album in the Artist pane as the Album title only" or some such. I'm not sure how iTunes handles compilations but I know it has an option to do that.

Edit: Anyone at Nullsoft willing to send me a computer newer than a P3 450/TNT2U/256mb so I can use AVS continually? 'female demands' is the sleekist and sexiest AVS preset I've ever seen.. Ugh! I wanna run it in a window bigger than the smallest possible without pixel doubling ;(

Last edited by Amiantos; 22nd November 2003 at 21:57.
Old 22nd November 2003, 21:50   #218
net-cruizer

Why do people keep suggesting a cover art feature???
It's already in Winamp, has been for a long time, and we definitely don't need something stupid like that built into the main player.
Old 22nd November 2003, 23:36   #219
UltraZelda64

One problem, which originally wasn't a problem since it was a beta... but now, so close to its final release - it still has no good way of displaying wave files in the Media Library. Example:

Songs:
Godsmack - Faceless: "06. Re-align.wav"
Limp Bizkit - Significant Other: "05. Re-arranged.wav"

ML Display:
Artist: Re, Album: Faceless, Title: Align
Artist: Re, Album: Significant Other, Title: Arranged

Also, while I was searching for the "R"s in the ML by pressing the R-key, the text disappeared in the Artist frame (Modern skin) and I had to scroll to bring it back. I realize that ID3/other tags are what the Media Library was meant for, but right now almost every one of my files are WAVs, the only MP3s I have are the ones I downloaded (not many). I noticed that it did get some right - like the album - and don't know if this means something is being done about it, but hopefully it is. Maybe some feature that lets you say how your WAVs are named and what directory structure you use, and use that info for it. For example, mine is done like this:

"Music" folder > "Artist" Folder > "Album" Folder > xx. Song Title.wav

You get what I mean... anyway, I'm sure this is being done.. or at least hope so. Until then... I guess I'll have to keep loading folders with the Open Folder... menu. Also - if this is done, maybe there could be some way of dividing uncompressed (WAVs) files and compressed (mp3, ogg, etc.) files.
Old 22nd November 2003, 23:55   #220
D&B
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Gonzotek
When the wasabi add-on manager makes it back to wa5...
Wait, what? I havent heard that they are doing this? Are you sure? Cause that pretty cool if they are.
Old 22nd November 2003, 23:56   #221
D&B
Banned

Re: just thought about writing something

Quote:
Originally posted by Jan L
1. Counting: I think it would be the best solution to count a song after it is played 30 seconds.
3. taskbar control: I would really be happy to see this WMP9 feature in Winamp. I Think it would be quite useful.
I agree with both of these!
Old 22nd November 2003, 23:58   #222
D&B
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by net-cruizer
It's already in Winamp, has been for a long time, and we definitely don't need something stupid like that built into the main player.
Yea, I think so too. I hope they never build that in. Things like cover art viewer and lyrics viewer are much better as plugins.
Old 23rd November 2003, 01:57   #223
Sloth

Nearly Perfect...

I love eye candy, so I love Winamp5, but I think the Modern skin should permanently replace the classic skin. It bugged the living hell out of me when I was reading the forums and people were talking about how awesome the new skin was & talking about a media library that didn't exist in the Winamp5 that was sitting on my desktop. I had downloaded the lite version, and was getting steamed that I couldn't find all these supposedly great features. I think with Winamp5 the modern skin and ML should be made standard in the lite version. Take out the Visualizations, Pro registration, and possibly some of the ML sections such as TV and Radio to keep the size down.

Other than that, the scrolling problem in the ML better be fixed before/in the final release version. And an Artist sort that lists only the songs of a specified artist in the ML would also be helpful.
Old 23rd November 2003, 02:06   #224
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

What "scrolling problem" in the ML ???
You can already list all the songs of a specified artist.
And afaik, there will also be a "standard" version, with everything except for the pro features (or at least I truly hope so).
Old 23rd November 2003, 03:15   #225
Sloth

Re: Scrolling Problem

The scrolling problem is already listed in the Wishlist: the list of songs in the ML doesn't maintain the mouse focus(should be a bug, but I guess it's considered a feature). There are other problems, but I assume that they are already known: items disappearing in the list that reappear after some extra scrolling, and the Main window getting the mouse focus of the scroll wheel when exiting a menu in the ML(causing it to change the volume despite the ML being the active window).
Old 23rd November 2003, 03:25   #226
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

You mean this...

*Full smartwheel support
Make scrollwheel work without having to hi-lite windows/contents.

Yeah, I added that to the wishlist myself.

It is an unimplemented feature, not a bug.
An entry of any library pane needs to be hi-lighted first for the scrollwheel to work within that pane.

Re: contents disappearing.
I can only get it to happen when the "edit selected items" box is on top of the library (ie. if I move it away, then the bug doesn't occur) and then editing an entry and clicking "update" (though it doesn't happen every time, usually only when I mass edit 10 or more entries). However, when I reported it (and a few other related issues) to the devs, the only response I got was "cannot reproduce".
Old 23rd November 2003, 03:35   #227
Sloth

Re: Disapearing act

Cool, i'll spend sometime this weekend seeing if I can come up with some repro steps for the disapearing act. I think the 3rd thing I had listed would probably fall under the shadow of the smart scrollwheel thing. Thanks for the reply!

(Update) - Well this didn't take long: Steps to reproduce...

1.) Open Winamp5
2.) Open the Media Library
3.) With the mouse, drag the bottom-right corner of the ML window and make the window narrower and shorter
4.) Now drag the window back to it's original size
5.) Click on the scroll down arrow at the bottom-right of the ML window a few times to scroll the list down
6.) the song that was just off screen of the ML will either be completely missing or partially missing

Hope that helps, I can repro it 100% on my PC now.
1.2ghz AMD T-Bird
512mb ram
WinXP Home SP1
Nvidia Geforce 4 Ti4200 64mb
1024x768@32-bit desktop res.
All the eye candy turned on.

Last edited by Sloth; 23rd November 2003 at 03:53.
Old 23rd November 2003, 04:43   #228
webspiffy

Send a message via AIM to webspiffy
ID3v1.1 Lyrics3v2 Tag support is still broken in Winamp 5 (I just tried it with RC8). Lyrics3 support works in 2.91. Why the removal? I have all my ripped CD's tagged in this format, so please bring back support!

Update: I figured out that Lyrics3 extended tag support gets messed up when you have advanced title formatting turned on. When I turn it off, the extended tag data gets read. What gives?

Last edited by webspiffy; 23rd November 2003 at 05:17.
Old 23rd November 2003, 05:40   #229
Omnislash

Send a message via ICQ to Omnislash Send a message via AIM to Omnislash
Wacky ML selection bug:

(Winamp5 rc8, Modern skin with Monodark color theme)

Select several contiguous or non-contiguous songs in the ML, then click anywhere in the PE, then click anywhere in the ML. Your songs will still look like they are highlighted even though they are not. If you click a highlighted song, it will be deselected but won't show it until you click another song. If you scroll up or down it will erase the false highlighting. Not a showstopping bug, but weird.

Don't Ever Antagonize The Horn.
Old 23rd November 2003, 08:29   #230
Jan L

Quote:
Originally posted by net-cruizer
Why do people keep suggesting a cover art feature???
Perhaps, because they like it??? It's cool! The many cover art plugins show this.

Of course it should be an optional plugin, like the other new features.

You can't call these 3 pixels in the ML a cover art viewer. It's to small.

You're right, we don't need it in the main window. So one possibility would be a new window (like for Vis or Video or Playlist...) or at least a bigger picture in the ML.

Quote:
Originally posted by badrad
Yea, I think so too. I hope they never build that in. Things like cover art viewer and lyrics viewer are much better as plugins.
Yes, it should be part of Winamp, because then maybe all Winamp users could have acces to the same database with lyrics and art. And if the plugin is part of Winamp (not of a third person) there wouldn't be skinning problems... ((I don't really like Plugins of third persons))
Old 23rd November 2003, 08:46   #231
Lunas

Quote:
Originally posted by TobyG
i have a cordless elite with the newest itouch software installed the media buttons work fine with winamp
Old 23rd November 2003, 08:57   #232
punkpk

I agree,third person plug-ins makes skinning problems or have lots of bugs.It would really be cool if cover art view would be in Winamp .I have incorporated cover to all my album mp3(6261 songs)

I think the cover must be in id3tag2 ,not in the directory as external file as mentioned above 'cause it's not comfortable to use,believe me (I have incorporated cover to all my album mp3(6261 songs))

and we don't nedd another window.it could be shown in the vis/video window
Old 23rd November 2003, 15:04   #233
ejfreeman710

Im lovin the program, keep it up Nullsoft! So here's my question...

I have 2 computers networked, My music database on computer 'A'. Computer 'B' now has rc8. I imported the database from 'A', all the info is there, but the ratings. So, what file is it that holds these ratings, and how can i share it with both computers. I want to be able to read and write the ratings on both ends? Any ideas? is it possible to run the same winamp from 'A' on 'B' maybe?
Old 23rd November 2003, 15:05   #234
Jumper001

Re: Nearly Perfect...

Quote:
Originally posted by Sloth
I think with Winamp5 the modern skin and ML should be made standard in the lite version. Take out the Visualizations, Pro registration, and possibly some of the ML sections such as TV and Radio to keep the size down.

Other than that, the scrolling problem in the ML better be fixed before/in the final release version. And an Artist sort that lists only the songs of a specified artist in the ML would also be helpful.
One of the big issues with WA3 was the "bloat". You downloaded the lite version, which is supposed to combat the "bloat."

I, for one, am very happy that there is a version that stays closer to WA2 so that I can run it on my less endowed systems.
Old 23rd November 2003, 17:26   #235
spacenuts

WInamp RC8 Coverart?

How do I get to display the coverart in Winamp 5 - RC 8 ???
Old 23rd November 2003, 18:33   #236
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

1. plugin search - cover

2. See attachment
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wa5_np.jpg (44.3 KB, 451 views)
Old 23rd November 2003, 20:19   #237
InvertedParadox

On the modern skin, when you have the playlist in windowshade mode, theres a button that lets you select from playlists in the media library. Could we get this on the main window as well, cause right now i have both open when in windowshade, and that's the only feature from teh playlist not duplicated in the main window. Awesome player, though!
Old 23rd November 2003, 20:29   #238
net-cruizer

Quote:
Originally posted by Jan L
Perhaps, because they like it??? It's cool! The many cover art plugins show this.

Of course it should be an optional plugin, like the other new features.

You can't call these 3 pixels in the ML a cover art viewer. It's to small.

You're right, we don't need it in the main window. So one possibility would be a new window (like for Vis or Video or Playlist...) or at least a bigger picture in the ML.

Yes, it should be part of Winamp, because then maybe all Winamp users could have acces to the same database with lyrics and art. And if the plugin is part of Winamp (not of a third person) there wouldn't be skinning problems... ((I don't really like Plugins of third persons))
I love the cover art feature too. That's one of the features I love the most about Winamp, as of 2.91.
But it's already built in, duh, so why would it need to be changed to display in the main window. That's what I'm getting at. It's perfect the way it is. It doesn't need to show in Winamp twice.
Oh, I see. Yeah, ok, maybe as an optional plugin to see it bigger maybe, as another window like AVS, etc. That wouldn't be too bad.
Old 23rd November 2003, 22:58   #239
Dipso

Also, if a plugin/feature for winamp5 to read cover art was implemented i think it should render the info in the vid/vis window/drawer, not in some modified part of the now already perfect main window.

Phear the headbanging llama!!!

http://dipso.deviantart.com <- Art, Graphics, Photography.
Old 24th November 2003, 03:38   #240
danj201

Well, they need to make that Now Playing option in the ML more useful. It is a waste that doesn't really tell you anything useful - just what you already know about (the artist, the track etc). They should improve the Now Playing pages to show Lyrics, Cover art, artist bios, discographies etc etc like Windows Media Player 9 does. Not the ads that it basically is now.

Also, the first early release had it where by if I open up the video/vis or config panels in the Winamp Modern skin, everything would stay how it is. Now everything that is below it gets pushed usually off the screen. If you wanna know what I mean, just put the playlist underneth the main window so it sticks, and then open up the config tab. It didn't do that in the early release I had.

Other than that, I am liking the direction Winamp 5 is going.
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion