Old 22nd December 2016, 17:44   #1
BoreStroke

Audio dropouts and pauses for all listeners

I am running DNAS 2.5.1/723 Win64, with a 192kbps source. Both the source machine and the server have massive bandwith with very low latency, and can handle tremendous amounts of data, far more than is required for this application.

My problem is constant dropouts and pauses in the stream as heard by the listener. When DNAS is first started and the source connects, the stream will be rock solid. Listeners will connect to the server and all is good.

After a couple of hours of use however, the stream is very unstable. The stream will run for anywhere from 1 to 5 minutes, then stop for 30 seconds, before picking up from where it left off. Occasionally the client gives up and disconnects.

The longer DNAS is running, the worse it gets. After 20 hours, it is really bad - streams take upwards of 15-20 seconds to start, and drop/pause every 30-60 seconds. Restarting the sc_serv.exe process fixes the problem and it all becomes rock solid again.

I tried adjusting the buffer:

buffertype=1
adaptivebuffersize=15

I also added:

autodumpusers_1=0
autodumptime_1=0

None of this had any effect.

I set my logs to debug everything, and watched while this pausing occurred - and absolutely nothing unusual was logged. The source was stable, and the only thing logged when these drops occur is "client disconnected."

The server is a very fast, powerful dedicated server with a lot of memory, colocated at a reliable, high-bandwidth provider. The client drop issue occurs on various platforms. I have tried VLC, Winamp, Chrome, and Windows Media Player on multiple network connections, as well as Chrome, XiiaLive and RadioGarden on Android, both on Wifi and high-speed (4G LTE) cell network.

My suspicion is that the outgoing data from the server is exceeding the incoming data from the source somehow, and these drops are the server "buffering" the source - but I see no evidence of this in the logs, nor can I explain how this might be the case, being that the available bandwidth between the two is several orders of magnitude larger than what is required for this audio stream.

I'm at a loss as to where to look next to solve this problem. Anyone with an idea, I'm welcome to hear it.
BoreStroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2016, 19:53   #2
BoreStroke

A follow-up to this: It's definitely the server-to-client connection, and not the source-to-server connection. I set up two clients on the same network, and used both of them to connect to the server and play the stream. They both experienced dropouts, but at completely different times, and in different places.
Old 22nd December 2016, 21:11   #3
djSpinnerCee
Forum King

what's the win-os version on the server? is there any wifi in the source-server or server-internet path?
djSpinnerCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2016, 21:20   #4
BoreStroke

The server is Windows Server 2008 R2, and there is no wifi on either the server or the source machine.
Old 23rd December 2016, 02:21   #5
jaromanda
Forum King

what are you using as a source for the stream

Is it just me or are shoutcast users getting dumber?
jaromanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2016, 03:44   #6
BoreStroke

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaromanda View Post
what are you using as a source for the stream
I've tried two different sources: Winamp with the Shoutcast DSP version 2.3.5, and MB Recaster 4.1.0.0. Both of them were configured to send a Shoutcast V2 stream. I was experiencing dropouts with both sources.
Old 23rd December 2016, 13:58   #7
Bryon Stout

my idea > get rid of windows! eek.
Bryon Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2016, 14:22   #8
djSpinnerCee
Forum King

maybe try the win32 dnas -- win64 is overkill for a dnas -- if restarting the dnas solves the issue, it's probably an interaction issue of some sort.
djSpinnerCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2017, 14:37   #9
radiogeek

Update Jun 2017
Thanks djSpinnerCee this fix all my problems in my 4 Shoutcast Servers.
some people report connection problems with my servers and mobile apps.

Server Description:
Win Server 2016 Standard Edition
2 x E5-2620 v4 2.1GHz Broadwell
16 GB Ram
1GB/s and 10 GB/s Port
SSD: 200 GB
radiogeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2017, 15:26   #10
BoreStroke

I should update this thread. When I upgraded from build 723 to build 724 (still 64 bit), all of my dropouts and pauses disappeared, so it was evidently a problem in build 723.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Technical Support