Old 21st September 2010, 18:30   #1
Niver

Send a message via AIM to Niver Send a message via MSN to Niver Send a message via Yahoo to Niver
Plugin submission question - reviewer notes

Hello.

I submitted this morning an update to my plugin: http://www.winamp.com/plugin/details/79319

The reviewer notes contains this: "There's a few UI issues with the menus where the notification area icon menus aren't themed like the OS."

Is it possible to get more information from the reviewer, about which part of the context menu he/she doesn't like? Yesterday I removed the "sidebar" of the menu, which was an ownerdraw hack, but in today's submission the menu is created using very plain windows API menu commands, so I don't understand how it is "not themed like the OS".

Thanks.

Winamp Advanced Controls, the ultimate tray plugin!
Niver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2010, 18:44   #2
DrO

the attached image is from Windows 7 with default full aero interface and when you expand out the Winamp menu from the one in your plug-ins it stands out as being different (not tried on XP). had to flag it up as it didn't look right mainly from the difference in vertical spacing of the menu which makes it look scrunched up.

[edit]
also found the uninstaller with the current revision of the installer is missing some text (unless the header area is meant to be blank?)

-daz
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	menu.png
Views:	178
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	47590  
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2010, 18:56   #3
Niver

Send a message via AIM to Niver Send a message via MSN to Niver Send a message via Yahoo to Niver
Well, the theming is the same.

My menu has icons while the winamp menu has checkboxes, but that doesn't make the theming different... colors are the same, borders are the same, fonts and general layout too. It's not as if I had an ownerdrawn menu at all.

Also, my plugin menus are almost the same since 10 years. I agree the right sidebar may gave it a different look (but I still made sure it was using OS colors). Why are you flagging this now, is there new review rules about plugin looks?

If you say I should remove the icons, I will do it, but I would like to be sure I understand why you find it so different.

Thanks for your work.

Old 21st September 2010, 19:22   #4
DrO

i only raised the point due to the difference in the height of the menu items making the menu look different (scrunched up compared to the native OS menus on Win7) and since it's been years since i last looked at your plug-in i can't remember how it used to be. maybe i am being more thorough with plug-in reviews now to ensure they're providing a more consistant ui look for menus but i'll stop doing that with future for any reviews.

i'm not saying to remove the images from the menu items, it was more to get clarification which has now been done so please re-add the sidebar, etc as you wish and on resubmit i'll remove the note. btw are you adding an image to the main winamp right-click preferences item?

-daz
Old 21st September 2010, 19:53   #5
Niver

I see what you mean. The items height is smaller because of the icons I put. The Win7 menu icons (the checkboxes) are larger. I will see what I can do.

Stay tuned for another submission later tonight.

Old 21st September 2010, 23:26   #6
Niver

New submission available. I put back the sidebar, but the menu icons are now dynamically sized correctly depending on the OS version and theme (13 pixels for WinXP default, 15 for Win7 default) so the menu items have the correct height.

Question: On the Submission page, do we have to resubmit thumbnail and screenshot when the exe is updated, or the system will keep the old ones?

Old 21st September 2010, 23:32   #7
DrO

really no idea about the image question as my attempt to do a re-submit completely failed on me earlier today (ironic really) though it seemed like it needs to have an image specified in all cases from what i could tell.

-daz
Old 22nd September 2010, 04:51   #8
Niver

Thank you for your help!

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Developer Center > Winamp Development