Old 16th November 2005, 14:34   #1
richard harbord

Winamp and Sony

Why doesn't Winamp have an Atrac3 decoder/licence for Sony net devices. Someone has to approach Sony regarding their lack of vision and sort this out. I have a Net MD and loath the idea of owning anything else so I WANT A DIGITAL ACCESS TO MY MD THROUGH WINAMP. Please can someone fix it for me?

Thank you for your time.
richard harbord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2005, 18:17   #2
drewbar
Sawg 2.0
Major Dude

Because Sony doesn't want to give it up. Plus it is ATRAC3, so nobody really cares. But Sony limits you to their software only and I wouldn't expect that to change any time soon. This is Sony we are talking about.

Count with us!
Jan 1st, 12AM (PST, GMT -8) 2010 - 282,246
drewbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2005, 18:42   #3
DrO

and even if they did, the cost of licensing such a format would require it to have to be a pro feature and would most likely cause the price of the pro license to be increased (yet again)

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2005, 13:32   #4
richard harbord

I accept all your points as valid, but Realplayer has apparenlty done it, but you have to have Sonicstage installed in the background. What a useless alternative. Are there really no other options for me? Even just accessing the track details and editing titles would be a bonus, but for it to be completely unrecognisable by the software is tragic.

I feel strongly
Old 17th November 2005, 13:39   #5
CraigF
Passionately Apathetic
Administrator

everyone feels strongly. the time is that of screwing the consumer. corporations dont feel that you should be able to make choices.

however, there is one choice you can most certainly make. the one to not buy in.

upsetting, but true.

CraigF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2005, 14:51   #6
Lord Darius

by the way, everyone should boycott products from a company that installs rootkits on your computer when you want to listen to a DRM-protected purchased audio cd...
Lord Darius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2005, 17:31   #7
sc_bond

Just ignore the guy who replied to this first, he hates Sony!

I am writing a plug-in to support the new Sony Walkmans that come with connect. My guess is that connect works in the same way. I have found that connect places a file structure onto the walkman, so once you have the structure on there you can stop using Sony software as connect, the new software, makes a copy of a song in the library and then either converts to atrac3 if your player supports it. On the other hand, the new walkman's support mp3 and wma as well and just recently support drm wma. Connect then renames the song as a code so all songs aren't listed by name but by their new code. My plan is to make a plug-in to support Sony devices that run on connect player, that copies and re-names in the same way but only to mp3 and wma and possibly drm protected wma so that transfer times are quicker and easier as no conversion is taking place and it also cuts out the need for the very slow Sony software!
sc_bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2005, 21:54   #8
shakey_snake
Forum Domo

wikipedia says:
Quote:
Contrary to what Sony states, ATRAC files can be played back on IBM compatible PC using the RealAudio software or the Liquid Audio plugin module for Winamp.
sO, once agian, winamp can play anything.
Although, it is wikipedia, so take it with a grain of salt.

elevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladylevitateme
shakey_snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2005, 22:00   #9
sc_bond

Playback isn't the problem though. The problem is wanting to use Sony players with Winamp.
Old 29th November 2005, 23:32   #10
shakey_snake
Forum Domo

Oh. That won't happen.
Shoudn't have bought Sony. But hey, hindsights 20/20 right?

elevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladylevitateme
shakey_snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2005, 06:44   #11
STanger

Send a message via AIM to STanger Send a message via Yahoo to STanger
Quote:
Originally posted by DrO
and even if they did, the cost of licensing such a format would require it to have to be a pro feature and would most likely cause the price of the pro license to be increased (yet again)

-daz
but I still think that 19.95$ is still reasonable, but if it goes up much more that'd kinda get nipped in the bud.
STanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2005, 18:08   #12
sc_bond

And if you kindly read what DrO has written you'll see that you have almost exactly quoted his comment! And anyway, who actually pays for Winamp, most people go lite.

By the way, why not buy Sony? I've had more iPod mini's than anyone in the UK guaranteed because they're shit and don't work properly. My fifth mini actualy used to work but now it reboots when you turn it on, but I have my Sony NW-A3000 to take care of that!
Old 30th November 2005, 18:13   #13
DrO

i think $14.95 was a much better rate for pro though 5.1 made that increase to $19.95 and who knows what it would go upto if extra licensed features were added to it (i realise it's a necessary evil though in all honesty some of the licensing structures are rediculous). bitched if you do, bitched if you don't

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2005, 18:19   #14
sc_bond

So as we have all gathered a million times, NO ATRAC LICENSING! Next up, decoding or helping me to help others with the plug-in I'm about to make.
Old 30th November 2005, 19:57   #15
STanger

Send a message via AIM to STanger Send a message via Yahoo to STanger
Quote:
Originally posted by sc_bond
And if you kindly read what DrO has written you'll see that you have almost exactly quoted his comment! And anyway, who actually pays for Winamp, most people go lite.

By the way, why not buy Sony? I've had more iPod mini's than anyone in the UK guaranteed because they're shit and don't work properly. My fifth mini actualy used to work but now it reboots when you turn it on, but I have my Sony NW-A3000 to take care of that!
I paid for Winamp, hopefully you don't have a problem with that, but from reading your post it looks like ya do.
STanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2006, 13:42   #16
richard harbord

Yes and interestingly Sony are now advertising on the Winamp homepage. Struck with the idea of some movement on the "Winamp and Sony" story under the new 5.2 portables feature, I downloaded 5.2, sadly to find nothing for me. Am I really alone in my craving for a Sony portables/Atrac plugin! Why, on the one hand does Winamp community hate Sony and then allows adverts from them on the homepage...
Old 3rd March 2006, 19:23   #17
CraigF
Passionately Apathetic
Administrator

Winamp doesnt hate sony, sony hate consumers is all.

CraigF is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion