Old 31st May 2004, 10:38   #81
Joonas
Forum King

* hniu:s point about double-clicking has been resolved.
* Some issues with crashes at startup has been resolved.
* Extensions of more than 3 characters should now be displayed properly. (I hope!)
* The tree now sort alphabetically again..is this better?

Paparazzi:s point about excluding folders has been put on the todo-list.

As for sort order I am aware of it but still not sure how to solve it...it's a matter of how winamp loads a m3u-file...apparently in that weird order

I must say I'm really surprised and happy that you guys help me out with all this testing and your input are so very much appreciated

/Joonas - one happy camper
Old 31st May 2004, 11:12   #82
siebe83
Forum King

ok, double-clicking folders works fine!
and it's in alphabetical order now

'weird behaviour':

- Let's say I have this structure:
*Root1
-subfolder1
-subfolder2
-subfolder3
I right-clicked a NON-root folder (for instance subfolder2) and then selected 'change root folder'
This will make a box popup for selecting a folder, with the current folder selected. If you press ok, the current folder will be set as root folder AND be taken out of the original folder tree.
Result:
*Root1
-subfolder1
-subfolder3
*Root2 (orginally subfolder2)

When I right-clicked Root2 and selected 'Remove root folder', Root2 will be removed, which results in this structure:
*Root1
-subfolder1
-subfolder3
[edit]the files in subfolder2 do show up in the songs panel though[/edit]

Closing and reopening DL fixed it.
Maybe disable the functions 'Change root folder' and 'Remove root folder' when you click a non-root folder? (selecting 'Remove root folder' at once, will result in the same structure)

- when something is selected (ie a folder or a song), using the 'menu' button (don't know how it's called, it's next to the right WIN button) will show the correct menu, but in the bottom right corner of the screen...

[edit]at next post: it is a mystery to me where DL stores it's settings
i can't find them...
[/edit]

Good Winamp plugins by Joonas, DrO and shaneh.
If you're bored go here or, if the boredom is more serious, here.

Last edited by siebe83; 31st May 2004 at 13:12.
Old 31st May 2004, 12:58   #83
MoggeKa

problem after re-organizing my music-folders.....

Hi.. When I first installed your plugin it all went fine. but when i desided to re-organize my folders i cant use the plugin anymore. I had to delete it in order to get my Winamp-player to start without the well- known Windows Xp error message: "Winamp has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

Im not sure but I think the problem might be the plugin trying to refresh the folders that no longer exist. I was wondering if someone know what i should do? I have also tried to re-install Winamp, but the error still occur while the plugin is installed.

I would really appreciate any help, because I'd really like to use this plugin..
Old 31st May 2004, 13:26   #84
Joonas
Forum King

* Fixed menu when clicking non-root folder
* MoggeKa:s issues with renaming folders has been at least semi-resolved. Try if you can at least make it start now

Taking a little break now. Post bug reports and suggestions but no new release until tomorrow. *tired*

[edit]DL saves its settings in the registry at:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Little Bear Software

[/edit]

/Joonas
Old 31st May 2004, 13:38   #85
MoggeKa

Thx Joonas.... It works now. I downloaded the latest update, and used regedit to point to the new folder- directory.
Old 31st May 2004, 17:08   #86
hniu

A strange one: starting the latest version, DL can't see mp3 files in some of the folders. There is no problem with m3u files.
Old 31st May 2004, 17:43   #87
Hawk

It might be that some of your folder names are starting with a dot .

or with a comma ,

That was the problem I had. Try to rename folders that start with a comma or dot.
Old 31st May 2004, 19:41   #88
siebe83
Forum King

Quote:
* Fixed menu when clicking non-root folder
don't know exactly what you meant by this, but if it's about disappearing subfolders (as i mentioned in my previous post), it's still the same prob...

two (small) issues:
- when you select multiple songs, only 'play', 'enqueue' and 'play and enqueue' are available. Though I'd say 'Select all' could be available as well...
- selecting files by dragging the mouse works fine, but only in the title collumn
if you try to select multiple files in another collumn, it'll always show the '+' sign

please forgive me if i'm a nit-picker
it's just that i think you maybe wouldn't notice such things
but actually these things aren't really important...

hehe, WA is crashing right now
ok, i admit, i was trying to drive the poor thing crazy by changing/removing roots by clicking an empty spot in the folder panel all the time (error in kernel32.dll)
maybe disable that as well?
it's acting a bit weird btw: if you right-click empty spot, change root folder, it'll give a select dir dialog but with the same folder selected which was selected the previous time you opened the dialog (ie, not the selected folder in the folder panel)
do you still get it?

shit, i end up writing whole stories here each time

keep up the good work!

[edit]
anyone interested in the virtual merged superroot folder?
[/edit]

Old 31st May 2004, 20:38   #89
hniu

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawk
It might be that some of your folder names are starting with a dot . or with a comma , That was the problem I had. Try to rename folders that start with a comma or dot.
Thanx! That was an extra dot placed anywhere in the filename.

Joonas: When you are selecting a folder on the right side of the screen, would it be possible to have an option to list either all the files including subfolders (as it is now) or excluding subfolders.

Give you an example why it is useful: I have a folder for the artist. Inside this folder I have, say, 3 subfolders for the albums plus a couple of miscellaneous songs that have no subfolder. At the moment finding this couple of songs is quite laborious.

Cheers,
Old 31st May 2004, 20:51   #90
Hawk

Quote:
Originally posted by hniu
Thanx! That was an extra dot placed anywhere in the filename.

Cheers,
You're welcome. I was happy to help.
Old 1st June 2004, 08:07   #91
Joonas
Forum King

* I fixed the bug with missing mp3-files mentioned (at least I think so). Had to with that I searched for the first '.', making mp3 files that had '.' in the filename not show up. Solved it by searching for last '.'.

* Hmms...I've played around with the menus again. Does it work now then? Perhaps I am fixing the wrong problem? I thought I had it figured out last time...since the problem I thought of was fixed

* Added preferences for viewing only files in the actual selected sub-folder. Double-click will still grab all files tho...something I will look into.

DrO:s menu code is up for next release.

Happy testing!
Old 1st June 2004, 08:28   #92
hniu

- This version is quite unstable... Keeps crashing...

- When you double-click on the folder with mp3 files and m3u playlist, DL enqueues both. I think that in this case mp3 files should be ignored in favour of the playlist. Any other suggestions?

Cheers,

Last edited by hniu; 1st June 2004 at 08:56.
Old 1st June 2004, 17:02   #93
siebe83
Forum King

These errors:

AppName: winamp.exe AppVer: 5.0.0.3 ModName: ntdll.dll
ModVer: 5.1.2600.1217 Offset: 000085c0

Or: Offset: 0003381b
Or: Offset: 00007eb2

sometimes happen when (right-)clicking a folder

ntdll.dll (?)

But, apart from the crashes, it's working: change folder and remove folder are grayed on right-click subfolder
I think it's more clear this way.

I really hope you can fix those crashes

[edit]
One more

AppName: winamp.exe AppVer: 5.0.0.3 ModName: gen_library.dll
ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 000037c0

happens after 'add root folder'
the dialog will show up, i choose a folder and press ok, and it crashes...
i think it's because the folder i selected contains files without an extension
(other folders work fine, only this one, with a file called error_log (how ironic) made DL crash)

[/edit]

Old 1st June 2004, 21:04   #94
Joonas
Forum King

* Fixed bug with Preferences failing if DL hasn't been shown.
* Somewhat improved menu (hopefully)
* General fixes. Hope this version is more stable. Really sorry about the last one...but I warned you that it was a lot of new code in there

Windows 98 is probably something that will not be supported directly by the plugin. I use some unicode functions for the search and I don't want to mess with that...However I know that there are ways to get Windows 98 to work with Unicode...maybe that would help?
Old 1st June 2004, 22:04   #95
hniu

Cool! No crashes so far!

- When "display filenames residing in subfolders" is unticked, DL will show no files at all.

- In the modern skin, when you close DL by the "x" in the top right corner. In order to open DL again, you have to call it (Alt+D or from Winamp menu) twice before it opens.

Cheers,
Old 2nd June 2004, 06:26   #96
Paparazzi

True ... Alt+D has to pressed twice to call it if closed by pressing the X.

Also, after a couple of open/close actions, if I click on one of the subfolders on the left hand pane, it is noticed that Options/ Colour Themes appear twice (though I admit it does not happen always - requires a lot of repeats at times!).

The plugin itself works great Just waiting for an option to exclude a subfolder. Also, am waiting for an old promise to be fullfilled
Yeah....... the promise to move it into the Media Library!

Cheers
Old 2nd June 2004, 07:35   #97
siebe83
Forum King

No crashes in ntdll.dll anymore

The other one's still there (previous post).

Thanks to DrO, the right-click menu is correct now (except for the twice calling thing, but that isn't a menu issue)

Old 2nd June 2004, 08:24   #98
Joonas
Forum King

* Alt+D cleared up, maybe.
* Problem with 'Display filenames residing in subfolders' resolved.

Siebe: you still get a crash when there's a file without extension?? Cause I don't anymore...

Pararazzi:
Quote:
Also, after a couple of open/close actions, if I click on one of the subfolders on the left hand pane, it is noticed that Options/ Colour Themes appear twice (though I admit it does not happen always - requires a lot of repeats at times!).
Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by this...

About my promise to make a ML-plugin:
As soon as the critical bugs are flushed from this plugin I will proceed to read through the entire code and look for memory leaks. Then I will post it again and hopefully you guys won't find any new bugs introduced. Then I will consider it "complete" (at least for this version) and start looking into the possibility of a ML-plugin.
Hope that's good enough for you.

/Joonas
Old 2nd June 2004, 09:05   #99
hniu

Everithing seems to be working now!

- Backslashes appear after folder names.

- Are you planing to include the "sort by" feature. I mean for example, clicking on the "title" column sorts the files by title and so on... Or is it going to be in ML version?

Cheers,
Old 2nd June 2004, 09:37   #100
Joonas
Forum King

* Blackslashes removed.

I think I've to stress again how how slow Sort would be since I don't know the id3-tags beforehand and instead reads them as I need them...because of that I can't sort them all since that would require me to read through all your id3-tags and that is REAL slow, I assure you ;/

I don't know if it's possible in a ML-plugin either since that would require the files to be in the ML-database...but I guess I could then sort those that are and put files not in the actual database at the bottom.
Old 2nd June 2004, 11:02   #101
Paparazzi

Ok... took me a while to reproduce it, but to be honest, I don't know how. Kept closing DL and then opening it again and then clicking on a folder after another before I happened to get it. (See Attached Picture)

Regarding the ML integration, yeah, can wait till its bug free!

Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dynamic library.jpg (61.6 KB, 435 views)
Old 2nd June 2004, 11:30   #102
Joonas
Forum King

Ehm...I don't touch that menu so I dunno if I'm responsible
Old 2nd June 2004, 12:18   #103
hniu

Quote:
Originally posted by Joonas
I think I've to stress again how how slow Sort would be since I don't know the id3-tags beforehand and instead reads them as I need them...because of that I can't sort them all since that would require me to read through all your id3-tags and that is REAL slow, I assure you ;/
- That seems real slow, although I didn't mean sorting all files at once. For example when the songs in an album are named "treknumber_album_title.mp3" the songs should be sorted by filename. But when you have something like "album_title_treknumber.mp3" the song should be sorted by trek number in the id3 tag. Can't think of any suggestion about that, to be honest...

- I thought it might be a good idea to display some kind of message when DL refreshes files lists from root folders. I know it doesn't take more then a few seconds, so this is just a suggestion...

- Last thing: I know I wrote about it already, but would it be possible to extend search to folder names as well. Maybe displaying results in both left and right parts of the screen or maybe displaying folder results first and then file results.

Cheers,
Old 2nd June 2004, 13:50   #104
Joonas
Forum King

Sort by filename is something I think I will add...that's simple, fast and probably will give you some of the functionality you request.

Search for folders as well sounds sooo cool that I actually think I will try to implement it I will look at it later...

refreshing rootfolders is actually something that doesn't take a few seconds at all...but I've built it like this:

1. DL notices a change in the directory structure
2. DL waits 2,5 second and sees if there has been more changes. If it hasn't it refreshes the structure. If it has it waits again.

This might sound stupid but actually I thought this was good when you for example copy large amounts of mp3-files to a directory that is being mirrored in DL. If it didn't wait like this it would refresh and then notice a change and refresh again etc. This way you only get ONE refresh when (hopefully) all copying has been completed.

Hope you can follow my line of thought
Old 2nd June 2004, 14:57   #105
hniu

Thanx for looking into those things!

As for refreshing rootfolder, I think DL does it perfectly! All I suggested was, when DL has to go through the whole list of files (which luckily doesn't happen very often ) it would be nice to show a message, something like "refreshing DL". Because, especially when you start Winamp and open DL, the whole thing become kind of frozen for a couple of seconds, which might look strange to some people. just a thought, anyway...

Cheers,
Old 2nd June 2004, 15:42   #106
siebe83
Forum King

Quote:
* Alt+D cleared up, maybe.
as far as i see: yes, it's solved!
Quote:
* Problem with 'Display filenames residing in subfolders' resolved.
mmh...
with this option unchecked you won't say ANY files if you select a root folder
selecting subfolders works properly
Quote:
Siebe: you still get a crash when there's a file without extension?? Cause I don't anymore...
not anymore: seems to be solved
Quote:
* Blackslashes removed.
backslashes still show up for me
(in the path collumn, right?)
doesn't really bother me, though...

I don't know wether implementation in ML is really a good idea, since it might really slow down the ML (if all is loaded on opening ML)
but if you could make it only load when asked for it, it would be nice (eventually... )

Old 2nd June 2004, 21:51   #107
Joonas
Forum King

Jesus...I am trying to optimize the whole tree structure and got around to scrapping most of the new code...worst case scenario: lots of lots of bugs again

Best case scenario: We get a fast and improved search that take into account folders.

But right now some sleep I think...eyelids are heavy.

/Joonas
Old 3rd June 2004, 14:59   #108
Joonas
Forum King

* Solved files in root not being displayed.
* Fixed bug that added files to playlist when DL and Playlist overlapped.

Alright...the new code is there. But still it seems impossible to get it the way I want it...that is that the left treeview only should display folders that fits with the search string typed at the bottom.

As for that very request...is it important? Could I somehow show folders that fit the search in the listview too? Dunno what that would look like though...mixed up with all the files...

Anyway, even though it seems nothing has changed I suggest you try this release since the underlying code is much cleaner and though it might introduce some unacceptable behaviour it will behave better in the future

Argh, I think I need a break ;(
Old 3rd June 2004, 18:04   #109
DrO

Quote:
Ehm...I don't touch that menu so I dunno if I'm responsible
it seems it is the plugin causing it since the internal jtfe build causes it as well. i'm working on a fix at the moment...

-daz
Old 3rd June 2004, 22:17   #110
siebe83
Forum King

Nice job, Joonas!
Even reduced the filesize!

I'm really busy atm, so me not posting does not mean i don't appreciate your work.
Besides, there's less and less to comment on.

Got some things on the drag and drop issues:
- After changing from modern to classic skin drag and drop to main window doesn't work any more
Changing back to modern skin does not solve it; only a restart of Winamp does (afaik).
The same happens when changing the layout of the main window (ie from shade to normal or back), in modern skins.
(changing from classic to modern: same result: only changing layout of window in classic skins works fine; so it seems to be a modern skin issue again )

- Drag and drop multiple songs to the playlist makes the last of the selected songs appear on the spot where the mouse is released (also when that spot is empty! Release mouse and see the songs being enqueued, the last selected song will show up under the mouse button).
The rest of the songs is enqueued at the end of the playlist.
- Exactly the same happens when dragging & dropping to the main window: in some way the release spot is noticed -> it will use the vertical position of the release spot to place the last song in the playlist. So if the playlist is positioned at the top of the main window, the order will be right. If the playlist is at the bottom, the last selected song will appear first in the playlist...
(btw, the correct song will be played, ie the first selected in DL)

- The last two issues also hold for dragging & dropping whole folders.

I know some of these things were already known, but I thought a survey wouldn't be a bad thing... (although it's a survey of bad things )

Since latest release no crashes!
Take a break, you deserved it

Old 4th June 2004, 14:22   #111
Ikarus7

the plugin is good. is there any chance to imply it into the winamp media library ??
Old 4th June 2004, 15:18   #112
Joonas
Forum King

See discussion earlier considering a ML-plugin

But yah, I will at least look at it when this gen-plugin is done.

/Joonas
Old 4th June 2004, 15:50   #113
PZen

This plugin fulfills a very long time desire of mine; thanks and keep up the great work! However, it has a problem in my system. The column "artist" is always empty. Obviously the ID3 tags (both version 1 and 2) are filled and ok, but the plugin doesn't seem to read them.

Could you perhaps look it up? I can see the artist in the filename, but it would be better if it works as intended.

GREAT WORK again.
Old 4th June 2004, 16:07   #114
Joonas
Forum King

Yeah I noticed the artist missing. Just me forgetting to set what to ask for when I rewrote that part...

already fixed it, trying to work out the drag n' drop issue though...anyway, expect a new release sometime this weekend

[edit] btw, fixed siebe:s issue with changing modern -> classic too [/edit]

/Joonas
Old 5th June 2004, 08:05   #115
Joonas
Forum King

I have a question...what would be the best interface?

To implement search for folders I thought that maybe should the folders be shown in the listview. But to show that they actually are folders and not files perhaps I shouldn't use a listview but instead a list like the playlist editor and have a icon at the far left. Or what do you think?

Also I thought about that when you choose Display All that maybe the treeview should disappear since it doesn't fill any function to give more room for the listview?

That's my two ideas. What do you think? Any input is welcome!
Old 5th June 2004, 08:59   #116
hniu

Quote:
To implement search for folders I thought that maybe should the folders be shown in the listview. But to show that they actually are folders and not files perhaps I shouldn't use a listview but instead a list like the playlist editor and have a icon at the far left. Or what do you think?
Yes, if you are going to display the folders in the list view, you will need some indication that these are folders. Like an icon or maybe upper case + brackets [LIKE THIS] (remember Norton Commander days? ) By the way it would also, be nice to have some indication of playlists as well. Maybe an icon on the left hand side, or just italic font.
Also if you are going to display all search results in the list view, it would be nice to have a choice in the options menu, something like: "Display search results: files and folders / files only / folders only".

Quote:
Originally posted by Joonas Also I thought about that when you choose Display All that maybe the treeview should disappear since it doesn't fill any function to give more room for the listview?
Agree with that! But, to be honest, I don't really see the point of "Display files All/By folder". Unless you have many root folders, you can simply choose the root folder and then do the search.
So, imho the option of "display files in subfolders" can be moved to the main window instead of "Display files All/By folder" and that is it. That would be the best way for me, but I don't know what other users of DL would prefer...

Also:

- Double click on folder doesn't work anymore
- If you enqueue the folder with both mp3 files and playlist file, DL will enqueue the list of files twice. Perhaps, if the user tries to enqueue the whole folder with both types of files, DL should ignore music files.

Cheers,
Old 5th June 2004, 09:09   #117
Joonas
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by hniu
[B]Yes, if you are going to display the folders in the list view, you will need some indication that these are folders. Like an icon or maybe upper case + brackets [LIKE THIS] (remember Norton Commander days? ) By the way it would also, be nice to have some indication of playlists as well. Maybe an icon on the left hand side, or just italic font.
Yes...but if you shift around the title and album and all...in what column should the folder name be? That's why I meant that maybe I should drop all columns and do it like Winamp does in the playlist.
Quote:
Also if you are going to display all search results in the list view, it would be nice to have a choice in the options menu, something like: "Display search results: files and folders / files only / folders only".
Yes that'd be good.

Quote:
to be honest, I don't really see the point of "Display files All/By folder". Unless you have many root folders, you can simply choose the root folder and then do the search.
Although I know people who has a root mp3-folder but has several DL-root folders with Albums, Singles etc...so they could use it. Depends on what you like I guess...
Quote:
So, imho the option of "display files in subfolders" can be moved to the main window instead of "Display files All/By folder" and that is it. That would be the best way for me, but I don't know what other users of DL would prefer...
Maybe put in a menu like that search thingie?

Quote:
Also:

- Double click on folder doesn't work anymore
- If you enqueue the folder with both mp3 files and playlist file, DL will enqueue the list of files twice. Perhaps, if the user tries to enqueue the whole folder with both types of files, DL should ignore music files.
Will fix

/Joonas
Old 5th June 2004, 09:30   #118
hniu

Quote:
[B]Yes...but if you shift around the title and album and all...in what column should the folder name be?
Since, it doesn't really matter - in the column that is in the far left. So, the column title will vary from user to user. (Don't know how difficult it is to implement ) You can also add an icon to it or just change the font (upper case, brackets, bold or whatever)

Quote:
That's why I meant that maybe I should drop all columns and do it like Winamp does in the playlist.
Not sure about that, because I find it really userful to be able to change your column order in DL.

Quote:
Maybe put in a menu like that search thingie?
Sorry, didn't get it... what did you mean?

Cheers,
Old 5th June 2004, 11:15   #119
Joonas
Forum King

* Artist always showed "-" before. Fixed now
* Fixed drag n' drop problem with changing from modern=>classic and vice versa (I think )
* small icons in treeview

This is what's been fixed. The rest of the reported bugs are put on hold as I try out this thing about a list instead of a listview. That is a more playlist kind of list

I will post that version later today or tomorrow and let you guys decide which one there is.

Have a great weekend

/Joonas
Old 5th June 2004, 13:21   #120
siebe83
Forum King

I cannot try the latest version since i don't have winamp installed at this computer

just wondering:
for the searching, wouldn't it suffice to search the filenames, including the path?
in that way all files with the search term in the filename OR in the foldername will show up
though I'm not sure that's what you want...
Do you want only the folder itself to show up, or the files in it as well?
It would be a lot easier to code, i guess.
And I don't think i'd like to have a playlist-like list...
But maybe it's great, i don't know... (or would it be an option?)

Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Developer Center > Winamp Development