Old 5th June 2004, 14:43   #121
Joonas
Forum King

It does search for the whole path of files now...but it has been requested that it search for the folder name only...I am trying to comply to this behaviour

I am supplying a screen-shot of what it will look like with a playlist-style. The difference is that it will also get a little icon at the far left with either a folder or a "file-icon"

Is this hideous or more in line with what you want?

[edit]An even better idea I think myself would be if you could choose the number of columns + what they should contain?

Please tell me you thoughts on this
[/edit]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg test.jpg (71.3 KB, 288 views)

Last edited by Joonas; 5th June 2004 at 15:35.
Old 5th June 2004, 22:39   #122
siebe83
Forum King

I'd prefer a view with columns, I think. Though I must say the playlistview looks nice... How is the showed title built?
I mean, does it use the filename, id3, or can it be set?

The nice thing of columns, I think, is that you can decide for yourself which info should appear first while the other info is still available by a quick scroll to the right.
The best solution would be columns, but with the possibility to show folders. But I cannot think of an easy way doing that...
(btw: what would happen if you double-clicked a folder in the list view? would that folder get selected in the folder tree, or would it get played/enqueued? will the typed search remain active in the case the folder gets selected?)

You fixed the problem with drag and drop while changing from modern to classic (and back). Though changing the layout of the modern skin main window (ie normal to windowshade) still causes the bug. (just noticed, the same holds for changing playlist to winshade...)

Also you fixed some problems with sorting (for drag and drop). Though as far as i see, now the last selected song will not be played/enqueued at all! (?)

Good Winamp plugins by Joonas, DrO and shaneh.
If you're bored go here or, if the boredom is more serious, here.
Old 6th June 2004, 11:42   #123
hniu

Quote:
Originally posted by siebe83
I'd prefer a view with columns, I think. Though I must say the playlistview looks nice...
Agree. Playlist does look good, but I would prefer the column view.

Quote:
just wondering:
for the searching, wouldn't it suffice to search the filenames, including the path?
Not really. In my case, most of the searches I do is for the whole album, not individual songs. So, folder search can save me lots of time. Ideally, you should be able to type few letters from the album name, press Enter and enjoy the music.
Old 6th June 2004, 15:59   #124
Joonas
Forum King

Okay...the search is totally different now. Try it and give me your input...if you're up to it that is

Some things doesn't work yet...like some shortcuts etc but I have no more time to work on this today but I still would like to hear what you think.

/Joonas
Old 7th June 2004, 10:38   #125
hniu

It works! I like the general idea, but here are few suggestions:

- As I understood "Display files: All" means "folder search" and "Display files: By folder" means "file search".

- If I understood it correctly and the above statement is true, you should be able to see the complete folder tree if your search field is empty (regardless of is it in ALL or BY FOLDER mode).

- When you find the folder and then select it (left-click on it), it would seem logical that search field will clear itself and you will see the list of files that are in that folder in the list view.

- I don't know how difficult it is to make, but it would be really cool if you could present folder search results as a tree. For example, if you have matching folder and it's subfolders as well, it would be nice to see it as a tree.

Overall, I liked this release a lot!
Cheers,
Old 7th June 2004, 10:52   #126
Joonas
Forum King

Quote:
- As I understood "Display files: All" means "folder search" and "Display files: By folder" means "file search".
Yes..the names doesn't explain much no
Quote:
- If I understood it correctly and the above statement is true, you should be able to see the complete folder tree if your search field is empty (regardless of is it in ALL or BY FOLDER mode).
The thing is...in "All" you see no files if you don't search for it. In "By folder" you see all files if you typed nothing. By folder is more "Browse files" and All is more like an advanced Search.
Quote:
- When you find the folder and then select it (left-click on it), it would seem logical that search field will clear itself and you will see the list of files that are in that folder in the list view.
In All you mean? That's the thing...that part of the plugin is meant for browsing. Just searching for files and folders that match the text in the search box...have to rename it to explain it I guess though..
Quote:
- I don't know how difficult it is to make, but it would be really cool if you could present folder search results as a tree. For example, if you have matching folder and it's subfolders as well, it would be nice to see it as a tree.
It's something that albeit possible is kinda tricky. However, as the All search isn't mean to work like that you just have to choose Go to folder and see if in Browse-mode

Hope this clarifies where I am heading!

/Joonas
Old 7th June 2004, 12:14   #127
hniu

Here is an idea (not saying this is the best solution, but it seems quite intuitive to me):

You have 2 modes: "Browse" and "Search". In search mode, after you are typing something in the search field, you have 2 independent searches performed simultaneously: files and folders. If you click on one of the folders (deactivate search field) you are automatically taken to the browse mode, where your current folder is the one you selected and in the list view you have all the files in that folder. If you click on one of the folders you will be taken to the browser mode as well, but this time your current folder is set according to the file you've selected.
You can return to search mode by activating a search field. You can also switch between the 2 modes through radio buttons.

Cheers,
Old 7th June 2004, 13:14   #128
Joonas
Forum King

Well that is almost what happens when you choose Go to folder when right-clicking a folder in Search mode. Right now nothing happens when clicking Go to folder on the file but it will work the same.

I'm afraid that just single-clicking a folder with the same behaviour would cause it to jump to many times to Browse mode when it's not your intent...double-clicking would work as a compromise but the treeview apparently "remembers" the double-click and closes the folder that appears where you clicked before.

/Jonas
Old 7th June 2004, 13:29   #129
hniu

Quote:
Originally posted by Joonas
I'm afraid that just single-clicking a folder with the same behaviour would cause it to jump to many times to Browse mode when it's not your intent...double-clicking would work as a compromise but the treeview apparently "remembers" the double-click and closes the folder that appears where you clicked before.
This is fine. Let it be double-click. Lets say that besides radio buttons, you can switch from search to browse by double-clicking the folder in the search result and you can switch from browse to search by typing something in the search field.

- By the way, at the moment, file search works in both modes.
Old 7th June 2004, 13:41   #130
Joonas
Forum King

Well...yes file search works in both versions...but I would rather see one as a filter and the other as a search. Because in one mode you see all files when you typed nothing...and as you type a search string you filter away those files not fitting with that filter..

In the other mode however, you see nothing before you actually type something...you see the difference? I guess this is kinda hard to grasp but I kinda like it that way

As for double-click I will see what I can do...but as I stated before, the treeview is acting up and catches not only the double-click but the single-click as well I guess..

If I double-click a folder named "music" and as the plugin switches to By folder mode (Browse mode in the next release) and in that same spot there's now a folder named "Albums" it will double-click that Albums folder too...which if nothing else deselects the "music" folder.

/Joonas
Old 7th June 2004, 13:56   #131
siebe83
Forum King

Wasn't double-clicking a folder meant to do something else? (ie play/enqueue)
I really like the search feature, but I don't think it's that important to make it a search engine only.

Also, I don't understand why all views are empty when 'all' is selected and no search is done. Or is that to be fixed?

Sorry if my post doesn't make sense, but I'm not so sure what you are exactly heading for. I think the way it is atm, is not really clear. But hey, if that's gonna change or if i'm just dumb, please ignore me.
Well, I DO understand it, the way it is now, but i don't think it's very practical...

One more thing: would it be possible also to show the root folders when searching in 'all' mode?
One of my rootfolders is called 'Onzin' (dutch for bullshit), but typing onzin will not make it show up...

---------------
Not important:
Another thing which would be nice is that one extra click in the search bar, would deselect all text, so you can add a term.
So the first click will select the complete search, the second will deselect it but the cursor at the place where you clicked.

Quote:
(hniu)

- By the way, at the moment, file search works in both modes
yes, but 'by folder' will only show the files in that particular folder
searching with 'all' will show all files, in all root folders

[edit]
sorry, i didn't read you last post...

Old 7th June 2004, 14:20   #132
Joonas
Forum King

Quote:
[B]Wasn't double-clicking a folder meant to do something else? (ie play/enqueue)
Yes...I guess. Although it was kinda strange since double-click both opened a folder AND enqueued...

Quote:
I really like the search feature, but I don't think it's that important to make it a search engine only.
Search engine only? Noo...all the regular stuff is there, just added the Search mode (or All as its called in your release)

Quote:
Also, I don't understand why all views are empty when 'all' is selected and no search is done. Or is that to be fixed?
Well, the thing is...All is called Search mode in the next release (might as well update it together with this post)
Search is a search. If you type "britney spears" it finds all files in your roots that has the name "britney" or "spears" in them. If you on the other hand is in "By folder" (Browse mode as per the next release) "britney spears" will instead take away all files not containing "britney" or "spears". The result is the same if you have typed anything in the searchfield...but I thought it was better if Browse showed all files instead of none...that way you could do just that; browse

Quote:
Sorry if my post doesn't make sense, but I'm not so sure what you are exactly heading for. I think the way it is atm, is not really clear. But hey, if that's gonna change or if i'm just dumb, please ignore me.
It aint clear at all...I just understand it since I built I appreciate all your input and ideas, believe me I would be lost without them
Quote:
Well, I DO understand it, the way it is now, but i don't think it's very practical...
Well, even with my clarifications?
Quote:
One more thing: would it be possible also to show the root folders when searching in 'all' mode?
One of my rootfolders is called 'Onzin' (dutch for bullshit), but typing onzin will not make it show up...
Yah, that's a bug. *put it on the todo-list*
Quote:
--------------
Not important:
Another thing which would be nice is that one extra click in the search bar, would deselect all text, so you can add a term.
So the first click will select the complete search, the second will deselect it but the cursor at the place where you clicked.
Not important? I am myself dying for that function

Ehm...I'm not making sense all the time either I think. Hope we can all be happy with the end result though

[edit]oh and the treeview updates faster now, it flickered and acted up when you typed your search to slow, fixed now![/edit]

/Joonas
Old 7th June 2004, 14:36   #133
siebe83
Forum King

Thanks for explaining it all
And the new release is
I like the 'go to folder' on right-click a folder in the search mode. (maybe also make that work for the songs?)

Quote:
Yes...I guess. Although it was kinda strange since double-click both opened a folder AND enqueued...
didn't really bother me...
though maybe an alternative:
Maybe it would be nice to have three buttons at the bottom of the listview: play all, enqueue all and play&enqueue all
(all = all songs in the listview)
That would be nice, also for searches
Quote:
Search engine only? Noo...all the regular stuff is there, just added the Search mode (or All as its called in your release)
That was just an exaggeration from my side... Sorry...
Quote:
Well, the thing is...All is called Search mode in the next release (might as well update it together with this post)

Just one feature I'm missing: the ability to display all files (ie all files in all root folders)
It disappeared with the implementation of the search features...
Maybe the virtual 'superroot' folder will be an idea?
Or display all files when you are in the search mode without a search term... (?)

And now for something completely different:
I added D:\ (my cd drive) as root folder. It works fine!
Though, the root folder does not have a name. Only the folder icon is visible. Would it be possible to make it say 'CD Drive' (or D: )?

Old 7th June 2004, 17:31   #134
Joonas
Forum King

* Search mode now lists everything and works just like Browse mode
* Go to folder now works in Search mode
* Alt+G now works as shortcut for Go to folder for folders in Search mode
* Root folders properly show up in Search mode
* Changed the search field a bit. Clicking to the right of the text now selects nothing, clicking the actual text selects all

/Joonas
Old 7th June 2004, 18:12   #135
siebe83
Forum King

Hey, you made it say D:\
(i'll disable smilies, looks nice ^ )
Though in search mode, for some reason, it hasn't a title anymore

Search term selection = nice

Are you aware of the fact that all nonroot folders are listed twice in search mode?

With the 'go to folder' feature working properly, this search function is really sweet
Why alt+G in the folder view, btw?

I experienced some problems in search mode. When I searched for 'v' it showed all files with a 'v' in it. But then I selected the first songs (in a rootfolder starting with 'k') and the selection would change to other songs (which are in a rootfolder starting with 'b')
I think it's a sorting problem... If you scroll down, the files in rootfolder 'k' are there...
I don't get it now, will explain it when I figured out what the problem is...
(if you scroll down, and up again, the order of files is different... )

Forget what I said before about the search engine: i like the plugin more than ever

(i really think it's more logical to show all files by default in the search mode: people are used to it... (ie in Jump to File, Media Library))

Old 7th June 2004, 21:23   #136
Joonas
Forum King

* Shaved 12 kb off the filesize by using AggressiveOptimize.h

Quote:
Hey, you made it say D:\
Though in search mode, for some reason, it hasn't a title anymore
Fixed.
Quote:
Are you aware of the fact that all nonroot folders are listed twice in search mode?
Eh no, but I fixed it
Quote:
With the 'go to folder' feature working properly, this search function is really sweet
Why alt+G in the folder view, btw?
Ehm..Alt+G since file view has Ctrl+G or what do you mean?

Quote:
I experienced some problems in search mode. When I searched for 'v' it showed all files with a 'v' in it. But then I selected the first songs (in a rootfolder starting with 'k') and the selection would change to other songs (which are in a rootfolder starting with 'b')
I think it's a sorting problem... If you scroll down, the files in rootfolder 'k' are there...
I don't get it now, will explain it when I figured out what the problem is...
(if you scroll down, and up again, the order of files is different... )
Ehm...I'm not following :/
Quote:
Forget what I said before about the search engine: i like the plugin more than ever
Good! Cause I like it too
Quote:
(i really think it's more logical to show all files by default in the search mode: people are used to it... (ie in Jump to File, Media Library))
Yep, I think so to.

/Joonas
Old 7th June 2004, 21:57   #137
siebe83
Forum King

ok, i'll post about the sorting problem later, when i figured it out myself

some other issues:
when in search mode, right-click an empty spot in the folder panel
select 'add root folder' and add a root folder
weird things happen
[edit]
'add root folder' isn't always available in search mode
as soon as you right-clicked a folder name, right-clicking an empty spot won't show 'add root folder' available anymore

also, when changing back to browse mode, 'add root folder' will still be unavailable right-clicking an empty spot, untill you right-click a folder: after that it'll work fine
(did i explain it clearly?
guess not, i hope you'll understand)
[edit2]
to summarize:
right-clicking an empty spot will show availability of 'add root folder' according to the last right-clicked folder (no matter if that was in another mode, and no matter in what mode you are)
[/edit2]
[/edit]

about alt+G
yeah, i meant, it was ctrl+g for songs
though you're right if you'd say it's not really the same (ie for file, it'll go to the folder the file is in; for folder, it'll go to that folder)
but i don't care that much

maybe for playing an empty folder (ie right-click an empty folder and select play) make a box show up saying 'No files in this folder' (or something like that)
Since the way it is now, you'll get an erased playlist, and after the second time, a open file(s) dialog.
Also, on enqueue&play an empty folder while winamp is stopped, Winamp will start playing the files that were already in the playlist (since no new files were added)
Damn, did I tell this before? I'm having a deja-vu right now. If so, forgive me

Old 8th June 2004, 10:58   #138
hniu

Really liked this release! Few comments:

- When you are in the search mode. You typed your search, then selected either folder or file from the search results, then clicked "browse mode" radio button. Can this automatically launch "go to folder" function (Alt+G/Ctr+G)?

- Is it possible to make Browse mode remember the last folder? For example, if you do a search in the search mode and do not select any of the results (say you couldn't find what you were looking for) and then go back to the browse mode. Or maybe just close DL and then open it again.

- A strange request: Could you please make it possible (probably through the options) to display folder search results without subfolders. For example: if your folder structure is:
-aa
----aa11
----aa22
----aa33
-bb
----bb11
----bb22
-aabb

And you search for "aa", the result would be:

-aa
-aabb

instead of

-aa
-aa11
-aa22
-aa33
-aabb

I understand that it sounds like a bizarre request, but it is extremely useful, when looking for artist folder or style folder.

- Last thing. At the moment you can perform the search in both search and browse modes. I can clearly see the reason for that (in browse mode you can search locally), but I am not sure that it is really logical. Don't know what can be done about that...

Cheers,
Old 8th June 2004, 15:32   #139
Joonas
Forum King

Hmm, I screwed up and didn't write down what I've changed. But basically some issues with remembering selected node, adding to playlist etc has been changed.

Try it out
Old 8th June 2004, 16:20   #140
hniu

It works and it is great!

- One small bug about node remembering: DL saves the last node before switching to search mode, but it doesn't save the last node, before closing (with either Alt+D or "X").

- Is it possible to make selected files behave the same as selected folders, when DL switches from search to browse. (I mean the "go to folder thing" )

- Also, is it possible to automatically clear the search field when DL goes from search to browse?

Cheers,
Old 8th June 2004, 16:30   #141
Joonas
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by hniu
- One small bug about node remembering: DL saves the last node before switching to search mode, but it doesn't save the last node, before closing (with either Alt+D or "X").
I can fix that...
Quote:
- Is it possible to make selected files behave the same as selected folders, when DL switches from search to browse. (I mean the "go to folder thing" )
how do you mean? If you go to folder on a file it selects the folder that files reside in...but you mean you want that file selected in the listview too?
Quote:
- Also, is it possible to automatically clear the search field when DL goes from search to browse?
Yep!

[edit]btw...I don't quite follow on the sort folders thingie you mentioned earlier...you mean if you have a folder called "U2" and lots of folders with "U2 - Album name", "U2 - Another album name" only U2 should be displayed?[/edit]

/Joonas
Old 8th June 2004, 16:40   #142
Carno

This is a pretty neat plugin. How about a global hotkey to show/hide the window? So we could show the dynamic library independently of the other Winamp windows being selected.

[edit] p.s. Is there a refresh?

Last edited by Carno; 8th June 2004 at 16:56.
Old 8th June 2004, 16:51   #143
Ikarus7

it has enqueueANDplay .... love this .... so sad that winamp doesnt have that
great plugin, keep on working !
Old 8th June 2004, 17:10   #144
hniu

Quote:
how do you mean? If you go to folder on a file it selects the folder that files reside in...but you mean you want that file selected in the listview too?
I mean, if you search for a file in the search mode. Then select it. Then switch to browser with radio buttons. DL will go to the folder where this file is kept. This is the same like selecting the file and pressing CTRL+G.

Quote:
btw...I don't quite follow on the sort folders thingie you mentioned earlier...you mean if you have a folder called "U2" and lots of folders with "U2 - Album name", "U2 - Another album name" only U2 should be displayed?
Yes. If you type the band's name - you get band's folder and if you type album's name - you get the album. For example, if you have a folder with all U2 albums on your computer and then you have a folder with U2+Pavarotti album somewhere else. This album would be very hard to find unless you wouldn't show any subfolders in the U2 folder or have your results shown as a tree (But I don't think this tree thing is a good idea anymore, excluding subfolders seems better solution) Obviously, in some cases you want to have all the results, so there should be an option.
Old 8th June 2004, 19:35   #145
Joonas
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by hniu
[B]I mean, if you search for a file in the search mode. Then select it. Then switch to browser with radio buttons. DL will go to the folder where this file is kept. This is the same like selecting the file and pressing CTRL+G.
Hmm, I don't really see the point. Why not just press Ctrl+G then? Wouldn't it be strange if you just had selected some folder to scroll the window with the keys and when you want to go back it would select that folder?

Quote:
Yes. If you type the band's name - you get band's folder and if you type album's name - you get the album. For example, if you have a folder with all U2 albums on your computer and then you have a folder with U2+Pavarotti album somewhere else. This album would be very hard to find unless you wouldn't show any subfolders in the U2 folder or have your results shown as a tree (But I don't think this tree thing is a good idea anymore, excluding subfolders seems better solution) Obviously, in some cases you want to have all the results, so there should be an option.
This is also something that would be strange I think...If I have a tree structure like this:

-MP3
--U2
----U2 - An album
----U2 - Another album
---U2 + Pavararotti

How will you know what you're really looking for if you type just U2? Will it only look at MP3 level, or should it look one step beneath (U2 & U2 + Pavarotti)? Nah I still don't see either what good it will do nor how do really implement it... DL will always find all folders with U2 in the name...
But perhaps I am still understanding it wrong?

/Joonas
Old 8th June 2004, 20:27   #146
Joonas
Forum King

* Global hotkey Ctrl+Alt+D
* Saving selected node, both on switching mode and on close
* Automatically clear the search field

Perhaps I should clarify that Alt+G is Go to folder for the currently selected folder in Search mode and Ctrl+G is for the currently selected file. That is why there is two different shortcuts if that wasn't clear before...

/Joonas
Old 8th June 2004, 20:27   #147
Joonas
Forum King

Carnobot: refresh? Hopefully it will refresh by its own...else something is broken :/

One bug I know right now is that it won't refresh if the DL is closed when the change in the directory structure occurs...but I will fix that later on

/Joonas

Last edited by Joonas; 8th June 2004 at 21:33.
Old 8th June 2004, 22:32   #148
siebe83
Forum King

Did you implement shortcuts for switching search <-> browse mode?
(maybe alt+s / alt+b?)
Also, a shortcut to jump to the search bar would be nice...
alt+s? oh shit, that's for search mode

Mmh... the global hotkey does not work for me...
I found it in the options, but why not just implement it in the global hotkeys configuration?
I think it's possible: toaster (shaneh) and nsx balloon tip (saivert) can do it as well...

Small request: could clearing search on switching modes be made an option? I like to search for a file in search mode, after that ctrl+g, so it's clear where the file exactly is, but then the search is gone, and i have to retype the search to find the file back again... I like to keep the search...

hey, you made drag and drop to playlist work perfectly (afais)
lot has happened today!

Old 8th June 2004, 23:40   #149
Joonas
Forum King

Quote:
[B]Did you implement shortcuts for switching search <-> browse mode?
(maybe alt+s / alt+b?)
Also, a shortcut to jump to the search bar would be nice...
alt+s? oh shit, that's for search mode
Nope, but will do!
Quote:
Mmh... the global hotkey does not work for me...
I found it in the options, but why not just implement it in the global hotkeys configuration?
I think it's possible: toaster (shaneh) and nsx balloon tip (saivert) can do it as well...
Unfortunately I can't Could a friendly soul perhaps show me an example how this IPC_GEN_HOTKEYS_ADD works?
Quote:
Small request: could clearing search on switching modes be made an option? I like to search for a file in search mode, after that ctrl+g, so it's clear where the file exactly is, but then the search is gone, and i have to retype the search to find the file back again... I like to keep the search...
Yes...I totally agree. OR I could set it to scroll and select that item you wanted to go to? Which would you prefer? Or maybe set the search field to the whole filename so only that file show up?
Quote:
hey, you made drag and drop to playlist work perfectly (afais)
Well yes...I always knew how to make it work like it does now...but if you add more than 500 files it will be very slow...2500 files takes like 20 seconds to add...apparently when adding to a specific point in the list is very slow as adding just to the end of the list is very fast...

Another idea that I have been thinking about...how about playlists in the plugin? They would work as roots and you could pull files from the library to them and the playlist to the playlist editor? When you add a playlist it would request you to name it so it would save to a specific file...the only drawback I suppose would be what happened when you move the playlist? Would the plugin complain or just ignore it? Just an idea...what do you think?

/Joonas
Old 9th June 2004, 06:13   #150
Paparazzi

A normal situation would be where in the size of plugins/software increase with increase in features. However, this is seems to go the other way round. From 104 to 100 to 88 to 84! And yes... its getting better all the time! Now, this leaves me confused! Why would I now require the ML???

Will the Global hotkey work if I do not have the Global hotkey installed? I mean, it is enabled in DL, but would that suffice?

Cheers!
Old 9th June 2004, 07:55   #151
Joonas
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by Paparazzi
[B] A normal situation would be where in the size of plugins/software increase with increase in features. However, this is seems to go the other way round. From 104 to 100 to 88 to 84! And yes... its getting better all the time! Now, this leaves me confused! Why would I now require the ML???
I dunno. I don't use ML As for why its shrinking...I never used the AggressiveOptimize file before...it really did the trick. Hope nothing gets broken because of it

Quote:
Will the Global hotkey work if I do not have the Global hotkey installed? I mean, it is enabled in DL, but would that suffice?
Well, it did for me...but not for siebe..so I dunno. I will see if I can get it to work with Global hotkeys instead...
Old 9th June 2004, 09:00   #152
Joonas
Forum King

* Moved order of menuitems of listview popup-menu
* Switched order of Search mode and Browse mode - felt more natural this way with default to the left
* Added Alt+B for Browse mode
* Added Alt+B for Search mode
* Added Alt+Z for focus on search field...though that sucked. Zearch?
* Added hotkey support through regular Winamp Hotkeys (Yay! Thanks to saivert for the help with that Downloaded his BallonTip source and it was so simple!)

/Joonas
Old 9th June 2004, 09:12   #153
siebe83
Forum King

Quote:
Unfortunately I can't Could a friendly soul perhaps show me an example how this IPC_GEN_HOTKEYS_ADD works?
i hope so
maybe you could use saivert's source (or take a look at it)
if that's ok with saivert...
http://members.***********/files_saiv...winampdev.html
(the nxs balloon tip has a hotkey)
Quote:
Yes...I totally agree. OR I could set it to scroll and select that item you wanted to go to? Which would you prefer? Or maybe set the search field to the whole filename so only that file show up?
selecting the item would be nice, yes (maybe also for ctrl+g in browse mode?)
though keeping the search can be usefull if you for instance searched an artist, after that ctrl+g, and you'll still see only the files in that folder by that artist
well, think about it
Quote:
Well yes...I always knew how to make it work like it does now...but if you add more than 500 files it will be very slow...2500 files takes like 20 seconds to add...apparently when adding to a specific point in the list is very slow as adding just to the end of the list is very fast...
ok i now get it
it took more than a minute to add 2500 files for me
the notification box is a good thing...
Quote:
Another idea that I have been thinking about...how about playlists in the plugin? They would work as roots and you could pull files from the library to them and the playlist to the playlist editor? When you add a playlist it would request you to name it so it would save to a specific file...the only drawback I suppose would be what happened when you move the playlist? Would the plugin complain or just ignore it? Just an idea...what do you think?
nice nice!
I think the plugin should ignore it when a playlist is moved...
and maybe also make it possible to add m3u files yourself in a specified folder in the plugins folder?

[edit]
hey you replied...
and you used saiverts source!

so alt+b is switching modes?
why not use alt+s for focusing search field?
or would that be confusing?

going to try it now

[edit2]
having some trouble with the global hotkeys:
i cannot use ctrl+alt+D for the DL
maybe because you still have that one implemented in the plugin itself?
although ctrl+alt+L gives an error as well; don't know what's happening
i've always been able to use ctrl+alt+L before...
(so i don't know if this has anything to do with your plugin...)

Old 9th June 2004, 09:28   #154
Joonas
Forum King

Or Alt+M to switch Modes and Alt+S to focus search field?

[edit]It gives an error? It works fine for me... [/edit]

/Joonas
Old 9th June 2004, 10:26   #155
siebe83
Forum King

i don't know what it causes (ie the global hotkey error)
maybe a conflict with another program...

i now use ctrl+alt+R for DL (the R of errr.... 'reuzegoed'? (dutch for supercool ))
works fine...

yeah, alt+m & alt+s would be ok, i guess
and it would be nice, maybe that if you use alt+m, the search bar will automatically be focused (or does that make no sense?

btw, alt+b and alt+z didn't work for me
i wanted to try it in classic skins as well, maybe that'll differ... (didn't try it since i had to leave for school... look what i'm doing here , though no WA )

Old 9th June 2004, 13:17   #156
DrO

just seen Joonas's pm on hotkeys, er what about this -> http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....57#post1354657

if it's all working then fine (not got the time to read all posts at the moment)

-daz
Old 9th June 2004, 13:41   #157
hniu

Quote:
Hmm, I don't really see the point. Why not just press Ctrl+G then? Wouldn't it be strange if you just had selected some folder to scroll the window with the keys and when you want to go back it would select that folder?
Sorry, it is probably me can't explain it properly. When you do the search (in the search mode). Then select the folder (from the search results). Then in order to browse this folder you can do 2 things: Press Alt+G or switch to browse mode - the result would be the same. All I was saying is that it seems logical that it would be the same with the files:
You do the search (in the search mode). Then select the file (from the search results). Then in order to browse the folder where this file is located you can either press Ctr+G or just switch to browse mode.
BTW I don't understand why you've got Alt+G for folders and Ctr+G for files. I can't really see the difference.

Quote:
How will you know what you're really looking for if you type just U2? Will it only look at MP3 level, or should it look one step beneath (U2 & U2 + Pavarotti)? Nah I still don't see either what good it will do nor how do really implement it... DL will always find all folders with U2 in the name...
But perhaps I am still understanding it wrong?
See, I knew this is going to sound strange! The main reason for that is that the search results are not presented as a tree. So, from the way it is presented, it is hard to tell where is the artist and where is the album. Another important thing for me is that I use search mode as a "quick search" rather then advanced search. (I know where the things are, but I just want to find them faster ) So, when subfolders are excluded, if you type artist name - you get artist's folder, when you type album - album, nothing else. The search results are more relevant this way. You can say that when you search for all folders the main folder will always go first in the list. This is fine. However, when you have a collection of jazz records, where you have single artists playing in various combination, the things will become more difficult.

Cheers,
Old 9th June 2004, 16:23   #158
siebe83
Forum King

ok, in classic skins alt+b,z and s work fine
though not in modern skins
really, modern skins suck, agreed

(i now notice search bar gets already focused on switching modes... )

btw: are you planning to add more columns?
i'd like tracknr. and year being showed some time, in the future

[edit]
don't want to blame you, joonas, but all my global hotkeys (the ones i did set myself) are lost...
did anyone experience the same?

Last edited by siebe83; 9th June 2004 at 16:42.
Old 9th June 2004, 22:05   #159
Joonas
Forum King

Quote:
ok, in classic skins alt+b,z and s work fine
though not in modern skins
really, modern skins suck, agreed
Suck indeed Although I've fixed it for the next release...due tomorrow.
Quote:
btw: are you planning to add more columns?
i'd like tracknr. and year being showed some time, in the future
No...hadn't planned it really..thought it might just mess up the window even more...but I guess I could add them if you really want to
Quote:
[edit]
don't want to blame you, joonas, but all my global hotkeys (the ones i did set myself) are lost...
did anyone experience the same?
Really? I don't use hotkeys either...(no ML, no hotkeys...just pure Winamp ) ...but I only do this code:

// Add hotkey support
int genhotkeys_add_ipc = SendMessage(wa->getHWND(HWND_MAIN), WM_WA_IPC, (WPARAM)&"GenHotkeysAdd", IPC_REGISTER_WINAMP_IPCMESSAGE);

myGenHotkeysAddStruct.name = "Dynamic Library: Open/Close";
myGenHotkeysAddStruct.flags = 0 myGenHotkeysAddStruct.uMsg = WM_SYSCOMMAND;
myGenHotkeysAddStruct.wParam = SHOWWINDOW;
myGenHotkeysAddStruct.lParam = 0;
myGenHotkeysAddStruct.id = "Dynamic Library Hotkey";
myGenHotkeysAddStruct.wnd = 0;
ZeroMemory(myGenHotkeysAddStruct.extended, sizeof(myGenHotkeysAddStruct.extended));

PostMessage(wa->getHWND(HWND_MAIN), WM_WA_IPC, (WPARAM)&myGenHotkeysAddStruct, genhotkeys_add_ipc);

Could this really destroy anything? I dunno...some genius could perhaps point out if I destroyed them :/

Quote:
Sorry, it is probably me can't explain it properly. When you do the search (in the search mode). Then select the folder (from the search results). Then in order to browse this folder you can do 2 things: Press Alt+G or switch to browse mode - the result would be the same. All I was saying is that it seems logical that it would be the same with the files:
You do the search (in the search mode). Then select the file (from the search results). Then in order to browse the folder where this file is located you can either press Ctr+G or just switch to browse mode.
BTW I don't understand why you've got Alt+G for folders and Ctr+G for files. I can't really see the difference.
Well..since Search mode searchs all files and folders from all your nodes a file you click on doesn't necessarily belong to the folder you selected. Thus I can select U2 folder and an Elvis mp3-file. Alt+G would then take me to the U2-folder and Ctrl+G would take me to the folder where the Elvis mp3-file reside. That is different no? Also if I understand what you want correctly it does work like that...I think perhaps you're confused since Ctrl+G seems to be broken...but if you choose Go to folder from the menu both jump to Browse mode yes?
Quote:
See, I knew this is going to sound strange! The main reason for that is that the search results are not presented as a tree. So, from the way it is presented, it is hard to tell where is the artist and where is the album. Another important thing for me is that I use search mode as a "quick search" rather then advanced search. (I know where the things are, but I just want to find them faster ) So, when subfolders are excluded, if you type artist name - you get artist's folder, when you type album - album, nothing else. The search results are more relevant this way. You can say that when you search for all folders the main folder will always go first in the list. This is fine. However, when you have a collection of jazz records, where you have single artists playing in various combination, the things will become more difficult.
I think I see your point but that all depends on whether you have that kind of directory structure...if you go deeper and have like Albums - Pop&Rock - Artist - Album how will I know how deep it should search for sub-folders? Would kinda suck if it doesn't find Artist since it doesn't scan deeper than Pop&Rock no?

Hope you see my thoughts on your opinions and that I haven't been totally dismissive Had a long day today since my little sister graduated today...tomorrow it's back to creating this plugin again

G'night!

/Joonas
Old 9th June 2004, 23:10   #160
siebe83
Forum King

Some issues I noticed since my last post:
- Now when you try to play/enqueue/enqueue&play an empty folder, a box will appear saying 'No files to add'. Though PLAYING an empty folder will still erase the playlist.
- When adding the cd drive as root folder, you made it say D:\. Though in the path collumn it will say D:\\ (or D:\\TrackXX.cda).
Also, many posts ago, you said you removed the last backslash when showing path only. It doesn't for me (winXP). Maybe related...
- Having the DL open in classic skin. The right-click main window will show DL unchecked, while it's opened.
- Having multiple songs selected, the right-click pop-up menu used to show 'Select all' as well. It doesn't anymore. On purpose? If so, maybe remove the seperator line.
- About the year/tracknr columns: maybe make it an option
So you can set which columns to show, and which not...

btw, congrats on your sisters graduation

Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Developer Center > Winamp Development