Old 2nd September 2017, 01:14   #1
TheFrozenGamer

Winamp closes when playing a song/video/adding a media

winamp v.5.666 Build 3516 (Patched v. or i think? download link here)
Clean install, no skin downloaded or any pluggins
Language pack US

Local : French
CPU : I5 4690K
Graphics : Nvidia GTX970 (driver 385.41)
Sound : Integrated
Dx : v.12

Problem : Winamp closes the windows when I listen to music, watch a video (downloaded), adding a media or searching for music

The problem occured after upgrading from an old version (I am sorry I didn't look at the old version). It was working fine and all before the upgrade. And now I am stuck even after a clean install.
I took a look at other people who had an issue identical to mine or near but nothing changed. I have tried cleaning malware with spybot but nothing come after that.

Here are the reports from Hijackthis and WinampInfoTool.

Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Winamp_Info_Report_02-09-2017(1).winampinfo.zip (38.5 KB, 42 views)
TheFrozenGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2017, 18:12   #2
TheFrozenGamer

Hello again,

After several reboots and retries, winamp seems to work again (However when i put it in the background while playing a playlist. It will freezes and will stop responding. I had to force it to close).

Moreover it seems I can't convert my Flac files into mp3 anymore? I have tried with old Flac files I already converted back then using an old version of winamp but I have the same error wich is :
"LAME_ENC.DLL

Error updating LAME-tag frame
can't open file or reading and writing"

Any help? (BTW should I ask this last problem in another section of the forum?)
Old 19th September 2017, 18:47   #3
musicf8
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to musicf8
Does this happen when you're listening to any specific files or just the french radio plugin? Have you tried upgrading your computers drivers?

In regarding the transcoding issue, I have had issues with transcoding files that have symbols in the path or filename, though it looks like something is accessing your files before it can write the tag, do you use any backup software that could be conflicting?

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡ʎɯouoıpɐɹ

Current status of Winamp 5.8: 9/14/2017

Winamp v5.63 (used w/ ml_ipod) bumping through Windows 10 Pro w/ Logitech Z-5500
musicf8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2017, 19:55   #4
TheFrozenGamer

Right now I am trying to convert the file using a simple path with no special caracters or anything (Only the title is in japanese but I have already converted a lot of them using japanese names and nothing happened).

As for another program conflicting with winamp doesn't seem possible as I do not see and use any program that read files in the background moreover I have tried converting using a copy of the file by moving it in another directory. The result is the same.

Another strange issue is after telling me it can't read and write in it, the converting process is telling me that it succeeded. Afetr that, the mp3 file works in winamp and other players however the quality isn't the one I asked and the length of the music isn't the same (I mean it went from 3"25 to 8 mins but it shows this only in winamp. In other players it shows the exact length)
Old 19th September 2017, 20:16   #5
TheFrozenGamer

Well it seems I know why I can't convert my music.
When there are chinese/japanese caracters in the info tab, more precisely inside advanced one(I think?), it won't convert.

However why could I do it before? Anyway, is there a way to convert a file with japanese/chinese caracters in the song description? Cuz it's a pain to type in everything...
Old 19th September 2017, 21:43   #6
musicf8
Major Dude

just tried transcoding a japanese titled track as well, same issue (and i'm on 5.63). Unfortunately I believe this is a limitation on the mp3 encoder because there's no issues with mp4. You have a few options on this situation, use a different format, retag all the tracks to something else with something like mp3tag, or use a different program to transcode.

There might be an updated copy floating around of the lame encoder, but I couldn't tell you for sure.

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡ʎɯouoıpɐɹ

Winamp v5.63 (used w/ ml_ipod) bumping through Windows 10 Pro w/ Logitech Z-5500
Old 19th September 2017, 21:52   #7
musicf8
Major Dude

also check this, I might try it when i get home.
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=156839#known2

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡ʎɯouoıpɐɹ

Old 20th September 2017, 06:20   #8
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
i use mp3tag to make all my files id3v2.3 with UTF-16 char set.

don't know if this will help or not. also, no weird chars in my actual filenames / paths.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2017, 06:37   #9
musicf8
Major Dude

I actually just tested encoding a flac to mp3 with japanese characters (in the tag and saved to a file with japanese characters) using the latest 5.666 downloaded from http://meggamusic.co.uk/winamp/Winamp_Download.htm and it didnt have an issue.
FrozenGamer, try doing a clean install of that one and see if it works.

edit: appears thats where you originally got it... so not sure what the issue is there...

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡ʎɯouoıpɐɹ

Old 20th September 2017, 19:41   #10
MrSinatra
Forum King

maybe the orig file has problems in its lame/mp3 header?

run it thru mp3val and/or other diagnostics.

--
Old 20th September 2017, 20:00   #11
musicf8
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
maybe the orig file has problems in its lame/mp3 header?

run it thru mp3val and/or other diagnostics.
the original file is flac though, normally they don't have id3 tags. Still, it's best to clean the file with mp3tag imo

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡ʎɯouoıpɐɹ

Old 20th September 2017, 20:09   #12
MrSinatra
Forum King

ah, right, duh on me. maybe try converting the FLAC to an m4a ALAC and see if that works properly? if it does, u know its likely a mp3 encoding issue.

and u could run mp3val on the resulting files when u try to make mp3s.

--
Old 22nd September 2017, 15:54   #13
TheFrozenGamer

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. Since I have free time this week I will try everything. Hope it will resolve this somehow.

As for :
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicf8 View Post
I actually just tested encoding a flac to mp3 with japanese characters (in the tag and saved to a file with japanese characters) using the latest 5.666 downloaded from http://meggamusic.co.uk/winamp/Winamp_Download.htm and it didnt have an issue.
FrozenGamer, try doing a clean install of that one and see if it works.

edit: appears thats where you originally got it... so not sure what the issue is there...
Strangely you are right, I downloaded the full eng ver. there and I have done a lot of clean installs (I will redownload it myabe it will change something if luck is with me ?) ... I don't know where the error is coming from :/

And yes there are no IDv3 tag in Flac files.

I don't thing the original file has a problem since I have converted them before using an old ver. unless something tempered them?(shouldn't have tried the new ver. T_T)
Old 22nd September 2017, 16:47   #14
TheFrozenGamer

I have tried a clean install just before posting with the mutli-national installer on this link. And nothing changed.

I have done a "scan" of my flac file to see if it is corrupted(in case) but nothing seems wrong. I have used "audiotester" for testing.

I have also converted the file in all the other formats and the converting finished without any errors. Afterward, the converted file is playing correctly (So is it my encoder that's malfunctioning or something like that?)
Old 22nd September 2017, 17:10   #15
musicf8
Major Dude

It does seem to be an issue with the enc_lame.dll and I assume you are saving to a NTFS file formatted disk because if not then the other encoders wouldn't work I would think.

Though, there might be one more thing to try. I had no problem converting on a clean install of the US English version. Maybe give that a shot? It might be just an issue with the multi national version

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡ʎɯouoıpɐɹ

Old 22nd September 2017, 17:28   #16
TheFrozenGamer

Yes you are right. Winamp is installed in a NTFS drive.

Unfortunately before installing the multi national version, I was using the english one so nothing seems to be working for me? >.> (Every clean install, I used Ccleaner to clean every entries related to winamp in the registry before rebooting. And I reused Clceaner after reboot just to be sure before beginning another install)

Btw is it possible to replace the enc_lame.dll ?
Old 22nd September 2017, 17:53   #17
musicf8
Major Dude

You do know ccleaner was recently compromised correct?

You might be able to find a different mp3 encoder. Considering how popular mp3 is and how many people didn't want to pay for pro just to use the mp3 encoder there's probably plenty of alternatives, you'd just have to do some digging.

As for replacing it with an older enc from and older version of winamp, maybe? I tried to replace my enc from 5.63 with the newest one and winamp wouldn't reconize it.

Anyway, give it a shot. It must be an issue with the language packs, be it how windows works, how winamp works, or how they work together.

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡ʎɯouoıpɐɹ

Old 22nd September 2017, 18:14   #18
TheFrozenGamer

Okay thanks for informing me about ccleaner. Didn't knew that at all oO.

I will give a shot about your proposition if it's fruitless I will find another way or wait a new update maybe?

And thanks for your support all the way. The same goes for MrSinatra and anyone that may have tried to resolve my issue.
Old 23rd September 2017, 05:04   #19
MrSinatra
Forum King

have u converted the FLAC to an ALAC file? how about a wma or AAC?

something is def wrong and unique to u, we should be able to find it.

have u tried in winamp's safe mode and without the french radio plugin?

--
Old 23rd September 2017, 15:13   #20
TheFrozenGamer

I already tried doing converting it to other formats such as m4a (ALAC I suppose?) wma and AAC. And no errors showed up after successfully converting them and the converted files are playing fine(Wait I did say that in my previous post)

I just tried safe mode but nothing changed.

As for the radio plugin I don't know how to do it.
Old 24th September 2017, 03:39   #21
MrSinatra
Forum King

winamps safe mode, not windows safe mode, right?

u have a french radio plugin, just rename the file ext for it while winamp is closed.

when u configure the mp3 encoder, where / how do u do it? and what settings? perhaps its some kind of failure in the Pro ver not being recognized as registered or something like that?

or maybe it doesn't like a certain setting?

have u tried downloading lame as an exe or zip and using the dll from that to replace the winamp one?

--
Old 24th September 2017, 14:35   #22
Aminifu
Forum King

For several years, CCleaner has incorrectly removed important files from Winamp configurations when removing temporary and other unnecessary files. I strongly suggest you use the "Applications" tab in CCleaner to disable it's cleaning of Winamp on your computer. CCleaner is great at what it does, I use it often (just not on Winamp).

Before reinstalling, you can use the advanced mode of Revo Uninstaller's free version to do a complete 'clean' removal of Winamp's program files, folders, and registry entries (on 32 bit and 64 bit Window OSes). Revo will run the Winamp uninstaller and then lets you run a scan to see and remove other things related to Winamp, that it's uninstaller left behind.

Winamp Pro 5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2017, 02:31   #23
musicf8
Major Dude

Personally, i've used CCleaner twice, and every time I ran it is jacks up my system to require an format/reinstall. Normally I wouldn't recommend the program but it's popular so I keep my mouth shut

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡ʎɯouoıpɐɹ

Old 25th September 2017, 02:57   #24
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi musicf8,

Sorry to hear you've had such bad experiences with CCleaner. The default options for many apps (especially those like CCleaner) are not suitable for everyone. It takes time to go thru all the options, learn what they do, and set things up appropriately for your specific needs. But, it's time well spent, imo.

P.S.
It was recently announced that malware infected copies of the v5.34.xxxx branch of CCleaner were inserted in various distribution channels (https://www.ghacks.net/2017/09/20/cc...tal-signature/ & https://www.ghacks.net/2017/09/21/cc...ad-discovered/). Everyone using CCleaner should immediately upgrade to the v5.35.xxxx or newer branch.

It's getting harder and harder to trust distribution portals.

Winamp Pro 5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports