Old 27th February 2007, 15:18   #1
kzuse

Send a message via ICQ to kzuse Send a message via Skype™ to kzuse
I think this is a bug in in_cdda.dll, but I don't really know.

Today I got a CD which I inserted and opened Winamp to play it. It retrieves the titles automatically from CDDB, which works fine, but 1 second after it shows "Success!", Winamp will hang. Any click on an item in the ML will then show a crash dialogbox (SEH) and Winamp closes.

The "Artist" field of the CD as it is reported from CDDB reads:

Matthias Dreißig, Orgel; Universitätschor "Johann Friedrich Reichardt" Der Martin-Luther-Universität Halle-Wittenberg, Leitung Jens Lorenz

This also happens when entering this title manually in the "Edit CD info" box!

MAYBE it is too long? It's the "ä" or "ß" characters? It's the semicolon in the text? It's the quotation marks in the string?

Whatever it is, MY GOD something like that MUST NOT HAPPEN!!!! NOT WITH WINAMP! HUH! Really so difficult to do some string checks?

All other programs which use CDDB correctly retrieve, show and save this Artist field!!!!

This time, clean install, really ^^.
So please fix it. Thanks a thousand times.

Best regards,
kzuse

//EDIT:
Checked this some more times manually now. Winamp also crashes when entering ANY very long strings into the Artist field of the in_cdda Box. This is not so good I think, hmm?

What about faked CDDB entries with "malicious code" in them? Could it happen that you insert an audio CD whith a "malicious" CDDB entry and winamp then executes some code from the "artist" field? What about another security bulletin? Okay, now I'm kidding, it results in a SEH and is hereby "safe" (because of Windows!). But it's annoying so fix it guys
kzuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2007, 09:53   #2
kzuse

Can anyone reproduce this bug? Or if not, at least tell that it doesn't occur on his system?
Old 28th February 2007, 11:58   #3
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

@ kzuse

I couldn't reproduce a crash (maybe I'm not following the reproduction steps correctly - try providing a numbered list of instructions maybe), but when I manually edited the CD Info and entered that huge entry into the Album Artist field, and clicked 'Save', it corrupted both my local cd database (plugins\cdinfo.db3) and my cd-rom view config (plugins\ml\cdrom.vmd).

This resulted in all fields appearing empty in the right pane of the drive view in Rip & Burn, and I couldn't play/enqueue any cd tracks (for ALL Audio CDs).

The Edit CD Info dialog still showed all the information, but even when I clicked the CDDB button to retrieve the correct titles again, all the fields in the CD view in the ML were still appearing blank.

Luckily, I had a backup version of cdinfo.db3, and just deleted cdrom.vmd
and everything was fixed again on Winamp restart.

I think you're on the right track with suspecting that it's either a unicode and/or character-limitation related issue.

Thanks for the report, and I'm sure this will be looked into asap.
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2007, 15:37   #4
kzuse

Thank you!

On my PC it also doesn't crash immediately after entering the long title (or letting it retrieve it from CDDB), but it crashes at the moment I click on another view in the ML.

I'll try to get it in the right order so you can imagine how it happens on my PC:

- I open ML and switch to the CDROM view of the drive.
- I insert the CD (has not been inserted before).
- Audio tracks show up as "Audio Track", immediatly CDDB comes up
- Retrieves title, shows "Success"
- In that moment, all the names of the audio track are shown CORRECTLY in the ML CDROM view - but just half a second or so!
- Immediately after that, the view goes back to "Unknown artist", "Audio track 01" and so on. I think this is the moment the info should be saved to cdinfo.db3.
- From that point on, winamp will not react on clicks in the main UI (play or so). When I then want to select another node in the ML (for example, "Playlists"), Winamp will crash. (Memory coud not be "read" and so on, you know).

SEH is disabled in my Winamp. If I enable it, Winamp closes instead of showing a dialog box (because I have completely de-activated microsofts error report function).

I would be very glad to see this fixed in 5.24...

Best regards,
kzuse
Old 28th February 2007, 16:04   #5
ujay
Forum King

I can repro this too.

If it's any help the problem only exists with the 'Album Artist' field, not the 'Artist' field.

[Additional] This looks very similar to the empty artist bug that's been around for ever. Could the string be being rejected and replaced with NULL. Only other bug I know of in the CDDB dialogue is to do with not clearing the existing track list when doing a look up. [/additional]

UJ

Last edited by ujay; 28th February 2007 at 16:50.
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2007, 21:56   #6
kzuse

You are right. I always meant the "Album Artist" field. Sorry for the confusion.

And the other bug you mentioned, is also true. This bug also occurs when you insert a CD without CDDB info but with CD Text. When you open the "CD Info" dialog box and click CD Text, the CD-TEXT info is read correctly but the "unknown" items in the list are not replaced by the new information, but the new CD-TEXT items are appended to the list!

But the first bug is MUCH MORE IMPORTANT (crashes!!)
Old 28th February 2007, 22:35   #7
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Chill, it's been fixed for 5.34. Thanks

(no idea about the CD-Text issue though. Sorry, but I don't seem to have any CD-Text CDs, heh)
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2007, 01:09   #8
ujay
Forum King

You don't need CD-Text to see this Egg.

Just put in a CD, go to <Alt+3> and press the [CDDB] button.

UJ
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports