Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions

Old 8th August 2009, 04:01   #1
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
New toy! (slight dialup delay - four 800x600 pics)

2009 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
Toyota Racing Development Off Road package
SR5 interior package
Heavy Towing Package

^These were each around 90-160 pounds each, and collectively didn't cause noticeable flexing of the springs.

If you're reeeeeally bored, here's the details:

4-door access cab (rear doors open opposite way a.k.a "suicide doors")

TRD Off Road and SR5 include:

Off-road-tuned suspension with Bilstein® shocks,
locking rear differential,
16-in. alloy wheels with P265/70R16 BFGoodrich® Rugged Trail T/A tires,
VSC (Vehicle Skid Control) + A-TRAC with Hill Start Assist Control (HAC)
Downhill Assist Control (DAC),
engine skid plate,
front tow hooks,
115V/400W A/C deck power point (house-style power outlet),
fog lamps,
remote keyless entry,
cruise control,
variable-speed wipers,
overhead console with compass and temperature gauge,
chrome grille surround and rear bumper,
color-keyed front bumper and overfenders,
smoked headlamp trim,
sliding rear window with privacy glass,
Sport power seats with driver lumbar support and Sport fabric trim,
metallic-tone instrument panel trim,
leather steering wheel with audio controls,
leather shifter,
sunvisors with lighted mirrors and extenders,
backup camera,
auto dimming inside rear view mirror,
Defrosted power outside fold-in mirrors
TRD Off-Road graphics,
Carpeted and rubber TRD floor mats and door sill protectors,
Adjustable heavy duty rail and bed tie-down cleats

JBL® audio package:

premium JBL® AM/FM with 6-disc in-dash changer,
six speakers and subwoofer,
on-board XM Satellite Radio with 3-month free subscription to XM,
Bluetooth®,
auxiliary audio input,
MP3/WMA-capable CD player,

Heavy Towing package includes:

Class 4 hitch
Transmission oil cooler/radiator
Supplemental engine oil cooler/radiator
130 amp alternator
Heavy duty 800 cold cranking amp battery
7-pin connector w/ converter

Safety:

4 Wheel Antilock Braking System with Electronic Brakeforce Distribution (each wheel adjusts braking individually)
Brake Assist
Vehicle Skid Control
Traction Control System (adjusts wheel power individually by limiting RPMs and braking individually for traction - can be disabled)
Duel front advanced airbag system
Front active headrests (reduces possibility of whiplash)
Side front and rear airbags (low)
Side curtain front and rear airbags (high)
Passenger airbag cutoff switch (for baby seats)
Front and rear 3 point seatbelts with pretensioners and force limiters
CRS Lower (ISOFIX) & Top Tether Anchor (WTF does that mean?)
Side door impact beams
Tire pressure and balance monitoring system

So far, so good. About 5,000 miles already, and I just picked it up in mid July.

I already bought a bed cap and will order a supercharger in the near future which will give me well over 300 horsepower with fuel economy at 25 mpg.

Don't forget to live before you die.

Last edited by swingdjted; 8th August 2009 at 04:42.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2009, 10:30   #2
Warrior of the Light
Forum King

A nice ride for your everyday shopping purpouses

Jesus loves you [yes, you] so much, he even died for you so that you will not need to die, but live forever
Warrior of the Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2009, 10:33   #3
rockouthippie
Banned

You're supposed to put the first scratch on it before you take it out and haul wood
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2009, 12:05   #4
deathazre
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to deathazre Send a message via AIM to deathazre
CRS would be the child restraint system hard mounts.

I'm in the middle of tearing up my tacoma's interior to make my CB, 2m/70cm rig, and a 400W inverter fit nicely in the center console.
deathazre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2009, 20:15   #5
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

@ WotL ~ groceries slide everywhere back there. I'm thinking about using some old rope to tie a net that I can attach to the cleats for times when I'm only carrying a few small items towards the back. I learned how to tie hammocks from my uncle, so a vertical bed net shouldn't be hard. Renee says I should buy or make a rubber mat to slow the sliding down, but it's about $119 for factory brand. Perhaps a garage sale will have an industrial rubber-bottom carpet I can cut, which can be carpet top or rubber top if I flip upside down.

@ RoH - I was upset that they color keyed the "overfenders" and bumper on the off-road models. If they had left them black plastic without paint, no problem. Now I have to worry about scratching that stuff, but none so far - been clearing paths before driving, which slows things down. I'd like to have a friend make me a removable small brush guard for the front at least; there are bolt holes already at a lower level than the bumper on the frame, so it would be easy to just make braces welded to a bumper-type large pipe in front of the truck's regular bumper for when I'm in the woods. There are stock skid plates under the front, engine, tranny/transfer case, gas tank, and rear differential so I'm not worried about saplings messing up the underneath.

@ dethazre ~

I bought one of those little radio shack "power point to 150 watt" power inverters a while back, which means I can use the cigarette lighter or other similar 12V car outlet to make a house outlet. Strong enough for phone chargers and laptops. $40, but limited to 150W. The 400W outlet for this new truck is toward the rear of the bed, and is handy for electric hedgers, non-cordless tools like saber saws (which go through batteries too fast if you use cordless models), etc. which helps me in keeping low hanging limbs from getting in my face when mowing. The outlet makes camping under the cap more convenient too.

The truck actually has no metal in it's inner bed. It's made of a "composite" material that makes bed liners obsolete. People have violently thrown 12" cinder blocks into these beds in extreme cold to test for cracking with no problems. I'm wondering why no one made them this way before.

Old 8th August 2009, 23:27   #6
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

If you can afford something like this when you and your wife are (or were recently) struggling to hold down jobs, good for you. Decent vehicles always did seem to be more readily available, and accessible on lower/less stable incomes, in the States than they are here down under.

Smart choice to go for Automotive Whiteâ„¢. I've got a metallic blue on my 9-month old car, and trying to find a matching can of touch-up paint for tiny scratches is a pain in the arse.

The suicide doors are pretty sweet, aside from the practicality of having to open the front door just to let someone get in/out of the back.

Nice ride.

"My heart hates uggos." –J.D.
iomegajaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2009, 02:03   #7
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

We weren't in horrible shape for long. Had some cash in store just in case something like that (our layoffs) happened, but luckily we both found jobs in a new place, so we're back to stable again. It was scary for a bit.

If I had gotten the longer cab, I would have had regular doors, but as you say, you must open the front to access the back, and you must close the back doors first. A longer cab would have meant a shorter bed for me, so I didn't entertain that option. I would have even been happy with a regular cab with a single bench seat, but availability wasn't there.

White paint is what businesses usually like for fleet vehicles due to inexpensive availability of paint, safety records (research shows that white vehicles get into less accidents for some odd reason), coolness in the summer, inability to fade... plus it was on the lot whereas if I wanted another off-road Tacoma I would have had to order special at a much higher price. Tacomas aren't easy to find with the off-road package - they sell fast. Most people have to pay sticker price and wait for arrival. I was lucky. It's even harder to find a used Tacoma. People just won't let go of them. Personally I'm going to try and make this last 15-20 years. So far our other car (02 Camry) is still going strong with well over 100,000 miles.

Old 9th August 2009, 10:59   #8
ryan
not fucked, not quite.
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to ryan
No wood jokes? I can't believe it.
ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2009, 15:22   #9
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

Quote:
Originally posted by swingdjted
White paint is what businesses usually like for fleet vehicles due to inexpensive availability of paint, safety records (research shows that white vehicles get into less accidents for some odd reason), coolness in the summer, inability to fade...
The state govt fleet agency where I used to work had studies done on the different colours in terms of safety, and white always came out on top. Something about the higher visibility in all conditions, etc etc etc. It really is the smartest colour choice for so many reasons. I bought my metallic blue car as a lot runout for a few thousand under the sticker price, otherwise I would've tried to get another white car as well (the blue one replaced my previous white car).

Fair enough re the rear doors as well -- better than having no rear seats at all.

Old 9th August 2009, 18:49   #10
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Packing 90-160 pound wood is no laughing matter.

From Wikipedia on auto safety:

Quote:
The Vehicle Color Study, conducted by Monash University Accident Research Centre (MUARC) and published in 2007, analysed 855,258 accidents occurring between 1987 and 2004 in the Australian states of Victoria and Western Australia that resulted in injury or in a vehicle being towed away.[37] The study analysed risk by light condition. It found that in daylight black cars were 12% more likely than white to be involved in an accident, followed by grey cars at 11%, silver cars at 10%, and red and blue cars at 7%, with no other colors found to be significantly more or less risky than white. At dawn or dusk the risk ratio for black cars jumped to 47% more likely than white, and that for silver cars to 15%. In the hours of darkness only red and silver cars were found to be significantly more risky than white, by 10% and 8% respectively.

Old 10th August 2009, 05:32   #11
Paul_Bags
Major Dude

Road coloured car with a road coloured sky overhead, noiseless engine and no lights on. It happens, and I've nearly stepped out in front of one. Grey should be an illegal car colour.
Paul_Bags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2009, 12:12   #12
deathazre
Major Dude

finally got my radio installed, at least

next will be to chop down the cover/armrest that went on the console so that it fits around all that stuff.
Old 14th August 2009, 03:46   #13
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Damn, I like how well you braced everything in there. How did you do all the sheet metal angles? Do you have access to a duct-work shop or something?

I worry that you may have to find a way to get some air circulation through there if you plan on using them while covered (or you could just leave them off when the armrest is covering them).

Nice work though!

Quote:
Packing 90-160 pound wood is no laughing matter.
I forgot the tongue smiley ( ).

As mentioned (but not yet pictured) before, I picked up a cap/topper.

If you're bored here's some features:
ARE brand bedcap/topper includes:
Color keyed strong/lightweight cab-height fiberglass body
Padded bedrail protection
Convenient bolt-on installation to existing Toyota deck-rail system
Sliding/locking front glass window (matches rear window in cab),
Sliding/locking screened side windows,
Latch with key lock (locks both cap and tailgate),
“Third brake light” at top rear center consisting of 8 LED lights
Increases aerodynamics and fuel economy despite adding weight
Creates “convertible SUV” effect

Other add-ins:
8x10 tarp stored in bedside compartment door
multiple tarp straps/bungee cords/ropes stored in other bed compartment & under rear seat compartment
hatchet stored under rear seat compartment
Leatherman brand Core model tool stored in under-key deep-well tray
Rand McNally North America road atlas stored between center console and front passenger seat
iPod Nano (4GB) and signal wire stored in deep-well console tray (uses radio’s auxiliary input)
Tire pressure gauge stored in glove box
Pens, pencils, Post-It notes, notepad stored in glove box

Possible add-on ideas include:
Front brush guard/winch
Side pipe-style running boards/steps
Rear bumper guard
Rubber bed mat (prevents cargo sliding)
Cap/topper interior light (rope lighting maybe?)
TRD Supercharger package (increases hp to well over 300 plus better fuel economy)
Deep Woods Off bug repellant stored in under rear seat compartment
Sunscreen, possibly “Bug & Sun” from Off to kill above wish list item too
Case Logic CD inserter (attaches to passenger sun visor)
Hacky sack stored in under rear seat compartment
Frisbee stored I don’t know where yet
Other tools?
flashlight/batteries
Jumper cables
Basilones wooden nickels (each for a free drink at Basilone’s bar - currently in car door pocket)
Deer spotter (currently in car glove box)
Change of warmer/rain/swim clothes, towel in a bag, old shoes, etc.
Power strip/surge protector for rear deck outlet
Laptop bag with old 2.0 celery laptop in it
Tow chains

Old 14th August 2009, 13:44   #14
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

Topper? We call them canopies down here. That or chuzzwozzas, either way.

It looks good.

Old 14th August 2009, 23:27   #15
deathazre
Major Dude

Quote:
Damn, I like how well you braced everything in there. How did you do all the sheet metal angles? Do you have access to a duct-work shop or something?

I worry that you may have to find a way to get some air circulation through there if you plan on using them while covered (or you could just leave them off when the armrest is covering them).
The sheet metal angles were done with a rubber mallet and the edge of a bandsaw table. It's only 22ga, so nothing too difficult.

I'm cutting down the armrest so that the radios and inverter will be exposed all the time -- only the front portion and hinge will still be there. As it is, the armrest already fits over everything if I disconnect the microphones.

As for air circulation, I'm planning on making up a fan controller and bolting an 80mm DC fan to the vent that already exists on the back cover (no clue why it's there, it's certainly not a floor vent for the rear seats because there's no airflow down the hump no matter what position the vent control is in)
Old 15th August 2009, 05:21   #16
tuckerm
Forum Emo

Quote:
Originally posted by deathazre
finally got my radio installed, at least

[Image]
[Image]

next will be to chop down the cover/armrest that went on the console so that it fits around all that stuff.
I'll have to show you my Radios & Scanners in my FD POV. I'll get pics in the morning.
tuckerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2009, 23:18   #17
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

I'm hoping to install

or

by the beginning of next summer, but still looking for other suggestions. Standard brush guards are more for aesthetics and really don't protect the sides of the front bumper. These replace the bumper with something that won't be harmed by scratches, chips, or brush (the "paint" is some kind of melted-in powder that won't chip).

Both can come with a pre-installed winch in case I have to pull myself out when stuck or pull hung-up trees down when I don't have room for towing them. Also helpful for pulling out other people that are stuck, lifting heavy objects up if slung over a tree branch, etc. This allows the installation of larger tires if I wish to do that some day when the current ones go bald.

This will also drastically reduce damage from deer strikes, which I have had trouble with on (so far) all of my past vehicles.

Old 23rd August 2009, 04:14   #18
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

I prefer the look of the second one, but then ARB is a tried and tested brand and I can't make out the brand of the second one.

Also, it's strange to see that left-hand drive vehicle with Victorian license plates..

Old 23rd August 2009, 04:52   #19
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

The license plate issue is something that may need modification, because I have USA sized license plates, and the state of Iowa requires a front plate. Mounting a plate will mess with the winch opening, and I doubt I'd buy one of these without a winch.

Top is indeed ARB which prides themselves not only on good quality for off-road performance, but also on being designed to keep airbag deployment working as well as it would work with the stock bumper.

The second brand is Shrockworks, intentionally adding an "r" for the including the word rock in the name. They seem to pride themselves on the thick, heavy gauge steel that they use, along with carefully welded joints. It appears that both are available with extra pipes for upper headlight protection, even though one that I pictured lacked them.

In both cases, lighting and winches can be ordered separately.

Renee doesn't really like the looks of either and would prefer the truck stay as-is, but she doesn't really care enough to stop me, so long as she gets her occasional shopping sprees...

Old 23rd August 2009, 06:45   #20
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

The engine skid plate option for $99 on the second one looks like a good... uh... option. The ARB one seems to leave the engine more exposed.

Old 23rd August 2009, 07:12   #21
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

The ARB one allows the stock skid plate to remain intact (the truck came with skid plates in front, under engine/tranny, under transfer case, under fuel tank, and under the rear differential).

The Shrockworks plate would be a heavier gauge steel (for better impact protection) than stock, although the stock one is already thick enough to lift the truck without buckling if you put a jack under it. The Shrockworks one requires that the stock engine skid plate be removed, more or less forcing you to get the option you mentioned, which wouldn't be a bad idea. I'm just surprised that it's not part of the kit by default.

Old 23rd August 2009, 09:26   #22
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
@ WotL ~ groceries slide everywhere back there. I'm thinking about using some old rope to tie a net
On motorcycles and pickups nets are your friend. You can get elastic bungie type ones that work slick. You might not have noticed. Ask at the auto parts store.

I used to have one sorta like this. The last time I had a pickup I lived at the beach. It didn't save me from seagull raids. It did keep the groceries in place.

http://www.cargogear.com/OneItemInfo...um=COSPORTSBAG
Old 28th October 2009, 07:23   #23
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

I picked up a bed mat. It's easier on my knees when crawling around back there than the deep ridges of the bed itself, and it's really good at keeping cargo from sliding around - it feels like the material has better grip than good athletic shoe soles. I tried to entertain $95 non-Toyota brand mats, which also had good grip, but none of them were cut quite right even though they claimed to to fit my model, so I paid the $109 for the Toyota brand one. The damn thing isn't even a day old yet and it's already covered in footprints from moving stuff around (I had to crawl back in there to get boxes of summer shit that we had to move and replace with winter shit).

Renee wouldn't let me use the mat from the last truck - it was a home-cut industrial grade throw rug with a rubber bottom and carpeted top. It had a few engine oil and grease stains on it and also the ever-so-enchanting fragrance (you should read the following aloud in a French accent) "aroma-de-puppypiss". The guy that bought my last truck didn't even want it.

The second pic (on the right side) refers to a rear suspension upgrade. I found out that Toyota issued a technical service bulletin which would upgrade the strength of my springs while tossing in a 4-wheel alignment for good measure... ...for FREE! All I had to do was call and tell them that I regularly haul heavy loads and/or pull trailers with heavy tongues, and they approved the work. The bulletin is for '05-'08 trucks, but because the suspension didn't change for the '09s, they covered it without question. $1500.00 in parts, plus $300 in labor, all free. The pic shows the old springs above the new ones (the gal at the dealer took a bunch of pics of the job for me without my even asking her). Basically the newer assemblies have an extra leaf, and the service guy said they use a stronger grade of steel on the new packs too. I love free $1,800.00 upgrades!

As part of the original sale, the dealer also tosses in a free oil change, full lube, and 5-wheel rotation (this model includes a spare tire with the same rim and tire as the other 4). I couldn't take advantage on the first oil change because I was out of town with the truck in PA, but now I'm back in IA, so I went ahead and took the freebie. Another $36 worth of free service.

This is in front of the lake across the street from where we live. This last pic was taken a few days ago before all of the above; the rear end sits a little higher now when empty.

As far as winch bumpers mentioned before go, I'm still working on figuring out the right solution. It's pretty complicated, because the winch bumpers will require an upgraded front suspension to hold the additional weight, and the front skid plate will have to be switched to match the newer bumper too.

I'm probably putting far too much energy and thought to something that is just a vehicle, but I guess living in Iowa suggests I should have some kind of romance with pickup trucks. The main intention is still function rather than aesthetics, but it makes a nice little hobby too I suppose.

it looks like my previously posted pic of the ARB bumper disappeared. See attached if you didn't get a look the first time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg arb-3423030-2.jpg (62.5 KB, 213 views)

Old 28th October 2009, 17:08   #24
mike-db
Pancakes!
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to mike-db
Nice truck! The second bumper I would definitely be after but it all depends on how tough it is compared to the other I guess.

http://www.monsterbumpers.com might also have something to your liking.

SEX APPEAL UP IN HERE!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
mike-db is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2009, 23:20   #25
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

^looks like a really great web site, but sadly nothing available for a Tacoma. I'm still glad you posted it though - I have a fellow co-worker that has an F-150 and is looking for a good deal on one of those - I'll be sure to email the link to him.

Old 1st November 2009, 14:14   #26
cooky560
Major Dude

Send a message via MSN to cooky560 Send a message via Yahoo to cooky560 Send a message via Skype™ to cooky560
looks cool

Cooky560 - Making Pointless Posts since 8/12/ 2002

WWW.
Victory Requires no explanation, defeat allows none.
All that Evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing
cooky560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2009, 15:12   #27
tuckerm
Forum Emo

Quote:
Originally posted by tuckerm
I'll have to show you my Radios & Scanners in my FD POV. I'll get pics in the morning.
Here it is

Old 1st November 2009, 18:19   #28
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

What is FD POV? I see a lot of you tube vids showing pov lights that look like volunteer fire dept. lights.

Old 1st November 2009, 21:10   #29
cooky560
Major Dude

Send a message via MSN to cooky560 Send a message via Yahoo to cooky560 Send a message via Skype™ to cooky560
I wish we could have these cool things on our cars

WWW.
Old 1st November 2009, 21:48   #30
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

^ Be thankful you don't hafta' take the bus and train.

Nice ride, there, ted.(must be that lottery money)
Widdykats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2009, 03:42   #31
fc*uk

I loved taking the bus and train out in Chicago.

Driving across the street could take up to five hours there.

However, I did not always enjoy the more unique people on the bus and train out in Chicago.
fc*uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2009, 14:13   #32
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

^ The bus people, here, can be disturbing.
Widdykats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2009, 23:57   #33
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

When I was a bus person in Akron, I was pretty disturbing. Getting my own vehicles didn't change that all too much.

Old 3rd November 2009, 19:05   #34
cooky560
Major Dude

The transport system here is beyond terrible

WWW.
Old 4th November 2009, 03:27   #35
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Where are you from?

Old 5th November 2009, 20:37   #36
tuckerm
Forum Emo

Quote:
What is FD POV? I see a lot of you tube vids showing pov lights that look like volunteer fire dept. lights.
Your right. Fire Department Privatly Owned Vehicale
Old 5th November 2009, 22:48   #37
cooky560
Major Dude

Quote:
Where are you from?
The UK. If you don't have a car in most places here you can't work because the transport is that unreliable.

WWW.
Old 5th November 2009, 23:00   #38
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

No public transport here. I drive 57 miles (92 kilometers) per day for work in addition to any errands I have to run. About a third of those miles are reimbursed (work pays me for vehicle use) though, since I go from one school to the next mid day.

Old 6th November 2009, 04:25   #39
rockouthippie
Banned

I have less than a one mile walk to Max light rail aka. "A train bound for nowhere.". It winds through empty space for about 30 miles to Portland before it has a stop that would take you anywhere near any place you'd need to go.

No stops near anything useful. Jails on both ends of the line. It does offer convenient access to the jail, probation offices, free illegal alien medical clinics and courthouse among other things you'd hope you'd never have use for.

Last edited by rockouthippie; 6th November 2009 at 04:45.
Old 3rd January 2010, 23:05   #40
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

More firewood work. Some say that the "plastic" beds on these Tacomas can't handle a load without cracking, especially in the cold. Well, it's cold, real cold, and I hauled multiple loads of solid pin oak with no trouble. The tree was 27 inches in diameter where I stopped cutting, but I couldn't lift the pieces that thick so I had to split a lot of it.

WTF? Imageshack made changes and now there's spam on one of my pics. How do I fix that?

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions