Old 20th November 2004, 20:07   #201
gaekwad2
Foorum King

You forgot the 'and face eternal damnation' part.
gaekwad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2004, 20:09   #202
mikeflca
Major Dude

a question

I don't mean this to sound anal or anything, really I'm curious.

god is just, and loving, right? why would such a god send people to hell to suffer forever simple because during their lives on earth, they made a mistake in not believeing in (or loving) him? couldn't they right their wrongs, so to speak? ie, after dying, and realizing they were wrong, promise to, i dunno, love him?

mikeflca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2004, 20:13   #203
bgesley
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to bgesley
edit: no I will not succumb to religious debates.

bgesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2004, 20:57   #204
Chebyrator
Chev's Pet Ferret
(Senior Member)

Send a message via ICQ to Chebyrator
Reminds me of a lyrics

The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming
So it's on and on and on, oh it's on and on and on
It goes on and on and on, Heaven and Hell

Ever noticed that people who believe in Creationism look really unevolved?
- Bill Hicks
Chebyrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2004, 23:42   #205
General Geoff
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to General Geoff Send a message via AIM to General Geoff
Oh, and shakey, you said "what kind of love is it?" It's exactly the kind of love that god supposedly created. Why not make love unconditional and permanent in his creations? afterall, he's the creator of the universe. Why bother making such a fickle definition of love when he knows that his creations will just violate it? It's like programming robots to think on their own and then demanding their allegiance or they rot in hell for eternity. Why bother when you can just program them to listen to you in the first place? It doesn't make sense when this supposed god is the creator of the very definitions of the things he strives to achieve.

General Geoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2004, 00:41   #206
shakey_snake
Forum Domo

Quote:
Originally posted by mikeflca

god is just, and loving, right? why would such a god send people to hell to suffer forever simple because during their lives on earth, they made a mistake in not believeing in (or loving) him? couldn't they right their wrongs, so to speak?
God understands that we often choose ourselves over loving him. Nobody choses God all the time,its called sin, and that's what Jesus is about. God came to earth as a man, gave us an example to live by, and then was sacrificed for the forgiveness of man's sins, if we choose to accept it.
Quote:
ie, after dying, and realizing they were wrong, promise to, i dunno, love him?
Death is finality. It ends the "probation period" that we call life. This is like asking why doesn't God make himself 100% emperical? Well, because then that would, in all practicality, eliminate choice.
Quote:
Originally posted by General Geoff
Oh, and shakey, you said "what kind of love is it?" It's exactly the kind of love that god supposedly created. Why not make love unconditional and permanent in his creations? afterall, he's the creator of the universe. Why bother making such a fickle definition of love when he knows that his creations will just violate it? It's like programming robots to think on their own and then demanding their allegiance or they rot in hell for eternity. Why bother when you can just program them to listen to you in the first place? It doesn't make sense when this supposed god is the creator of the very definitions of the things he strives to achieve.
Love is love because you know there are options, but you choose otherwise.
Would you rather be a robot?

This whole line of reasoning doesn't make sence to me,
Are you really saying that just because God gave you the choice to love him rather than forcing you to, you don't want to? Doesn't that line of reasoning seem juvenial to you?

elevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladylevitateme
shakey_snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2004, 01:06   #207
gaekwad2
Foorum King

And how does the line "Love me or suffer for all eternity!" sound to you?

Could you love somebody who is threatening you this way (well apparently you can)?

General Geoff's question (the way I understand it) is "Why isn't his love for his children unconditional?" (the way parental love should be)
Old 21st November 2004, 01:29   #208
shakey_snake
Forum Domo

Well, is the glass half empty or half full?
because "love me and I'll never let you suffer again", sounds like a pretty good deal.
Understand, hell is a theological problem, and not everyone agrees that you'll suffer forever, because the Bible never explictly says that. There are many Christians that I know that believe that those condemed to hell will just simply cease to exist, or be "annihilated". I myself, am unsure about the exact implications of hell, all I know is that I don't want to end up there.
Now, God's love for his children is completely unconditional, but he never in his word calls those who do not love him his children.

Old 21st November 2004, 01:33   #209
gaekwad2
Foorum King

Then what's this about a "probation period"?
Old 21st November 2004, 01:35   #210
Schmeet
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by shakey_snake
Depends, if the cup was full and was drank out of, then the cup would be half empty. If the cup was empty at first and then filled up, it would be half full.

Quote:
"love me and I'll never let you suffer again"
So now you need an incentive to love something?
Schmeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2004, 03:58   #211
Coman
Punk
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by van der graaf
Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev.19:27.How should they die?
haha. sig material.
Quote:
Originally posted by MagnumOne
Of 284 million Americans:
Ninety three percent or 264 million of them are Christians.
249 million Christians belong to an organized church.
15 million are Christians who are not members of an organized church.
7% or 20 million are non-Christians
1.9% or 5.4 million are Muslims.
1.9% or 5.4 million are Jews.
0.6% or 1.7 million are atheists.
0.3% or 0.9 million are Buddhists.
0.3% or 0.9 million are other religionists.
2% or 5.7 million are of other religions or are non-religious.
2% or 5.7 million have no opinion about it.
where did you get those statistics?

"Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev. 19:27. How should they die?"
Coman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2004, 04:05   #212
shakey_snake
Forum Domo

Quote:
Originally posted by gaekwad2
Then what's this about a "probation period"?
That's what life kind of is; I time to decide if you love God or not.
Quote:
Originally posted by Schmeet
So now you need an incentive to love something?
No, but bravo on your ability to take something out of context.

Old 21st November 2004, 05:23   #213
Mattress
Forum King

Re: a question

Quote:
Originally posted by mikeflca

god is just, and loving, right? why would such a god send people to hell to suffer forever simple because during their lives on earth, they made a mistake in not believeing in (or loving) him? couldn't they right their wrongs, so to speak? ie, after dying, and realizing they were wrong, promise to, i dunno, love him?
If you subscribe to the idea that Hell is being seperated from God, then it is just. God is just giving those people what they wanted. They didn't want God while they were alive, they don't get him when they're dead.

I can't believe that people said God should have just made everyone a bunch of robots that love him.
Try this experiment: program your computer to tell you that it loves you every ten minutes. Let me know how much more loved you feel.
Mattress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2004, 18:03   #214
Obedo
Banned

Location: State Hospital;They have me in this straightjacket & I have one hell of an itch...could you?..
Re: Re: a question

Quote:
Originally posted by Mattress
Try this experiment: program your computer to tell you that it loves you every ten minutes. Let me know how much more loved you feel.
Well it tells me that it loves me, but I don't know how far
this relationship can possably go
Obedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2004, 18:16   #215
General Geoff
Major Dude

Quote:
Love is love because you know there are options, but you choose otherwise.
Would you rather be a robot?

This whole line of reasoning doesn't make sence to me,
Are you really saying that just because God gave you the choice to love him rather than forcing you to, you don't want to? Doesn't that line of reasoning seem juvenial to you?
You're missing my point. If god invented love itself (as well as every thing else in existence, both physical and logical), why didn't he just make it unconditional for us to love him back? And who's to say that we aren't loving him at this very instant, without us knowing? You know, a subconsious type of thing?

I just don't understand how any kind of self-respecting deity can invent such a concept and then expect his own inferiour creations to take it upon themselves to just happen to love their creator, sight unseen.

Old 21st November 2004, 19:03   #216
Mattress
Forum King

love means nothing if hate and indifference aren't available options
Old 21st November 2004, 19:45   #217
CraigF
Passionately Apathetic
Administrator

existance is nothing without proof.

CraigF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2004, 21:12   #218
gaekwad2
Foorum King

Quote:
because "love me and I'll never let you suffer again", sounds like a pretty good deal.
The more I think about it: No it doesn't.

It's still blackmail, only reworded. Any kidnapper can say "Do what I tell you and you won't suffer.", does that really sound good to you?
(hmm, maybe religious faith is some kind of Stockholm syndrome)
Quote:
Understand, hell is a theological problem, and not everyone agrees that you'll suffer forever, because the Bible never explictly says that. There are many Christians that I know that believe that those condemed to hell will just simply cease to exist, or be "annihilated". I myself, am unsure about the exact implications of hell, all I know is that I don't want to end up there.
And that's all that's necessary.

The idea of heaven and hell and life as a probation period makes perfect sense if you want to tie people in and control them.

Almost all religions (Buddhism may be an exception) obviously need something to scare people into submission.
Old 22nd November 2004, 02:38   #219
Phyltre
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to Phyltre Send a message via Yahoo to Phyltre
Quote:
If god invented love itself (as well as every thing else in existence, both physical and logical),
Sometimes I think that there are laws (or concepts) inherent in the existence of God (or perhaps necessary in an integral scheme-of-things sort of way) that God did not directly create. It seems that He operates on certain principles that are either self-imposed or exist apart from him for whatever reason.

--And if we accept God as valid logically, why would we expect to understand all His actions and decisions? We're slightly less than nothing by comparison.--
Phyltre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2004, 11:05   #220
GqSkrub
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to GqSkrub
to those who require a proof for God, have you required the same type of proof for Gravity or Yourself?

To the crazy Christians: perhaps you can explain to me this: How can God have no favorites yet have Isreal as his "chosen people"? How can God/Jesus/Holy Spirit love EVERYONE yet have only certain people whom he/they have CHOSEN to get to heaven?

The bottom line is that hte BIble is not infallable and it is entirely possible that God can exist.

No sig here folks.
GqSkrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2004, 11:29   #221
gaekwad2
Foorum King

It's also entirely possible that pink leprechauns exist.

Except noone is saying you'll go to hell if you don't believe in them.
Old 22nd November 2004, 11:37   #222
Raz
Forum King

Shakey, what about a group of people born on an island who have never heard of your god and your ways. Are they condemned to hell because they don't love your god?

Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2004, 12:02   #223
bgesley
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to bgesley
Did GqSkrub just ask for proof of gravity? You're not implying it...no you couldn't possibly think...no theres no way..

That was a joke right? please...tell me you were joking.. I mean... dear lord the sheer stup... nope.

no he did not just say that.. no way...

bgesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2004, 16:45   #224
xzxzzx
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by GqSkrub
to those who require a proof for God, have you required the same type of proof for Gravity or Yourself?
Yes.

Freedom of speech is the basic freedom of humanity. When you've lost that, you've lost everything.
1\/\/4y 34|<$p4y 1gp4y 33714y, 0d4y 0uy4y? | Roses are #FF0000; Violets are #0000FF; chown -R ${YOU} ~/base
The DMCA. It really is that bad. : Count for your life.
xzxzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2004, 17:00   #225
Schmeet
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by bgesley
Did GqSkrub just ask for proof of gravity? You're not implying it...no you couldn't possibly think...no theres no way..

That was a joke right? please...tell me you were joking.. I mean... dear lord the sheer stup... nope.

no he did not just say that.. no way...
I'm also hoping that was a joke aswell.
Schmeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2004, 17:13   #226
will
Nullsoft Newbie (Moderator)

The current scientific model of gravity has been show to work in all tests. However, we already know that it is likely to be superseeded by a better model at some point in the future (when a theory is developed that encompasses both quantum physics and general relitivity, which is the biggest possible development in understanding in the future).

Indeed, without our current understanding of gravity, man would not have landed on the moon. The fact that we have sent probes to most/all of the planets in the solar system shows that our current understanding works very well.

DO NOT PM ME WITH TECH SUPPORT QUESTIONS
will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2004, 17:19   #227
xzxzzx
Forum King

What you have to keep in mind about Gravity vs. God is that the theory of Gravity holds some (in fact, quite a lot of) predictive power - that is, knowing that theory allows us to predict that if we send a probe with X vector, then Y planet's gravitational pull will send the probe to Z.

However, the theory of God holds absolutely no such predictive power, and, as such, is scientifically useless.

Freedom of speech is the basic freedom of humanity. When you've lost that, you've lost everything.
1\/\/4y 34|<$p4y 1gp4y 33714y, 0d4y 0uy4y? | Roses are #FF0000; Violets are #0000FF; chown -R ${YOU} ~/base
The DMCA. It really is that bad. : Count for your life.
xzxzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2004, 17:22   #228
will

Quote:
Originally posted by xzxzzx
However, the theory of God holds absolutely no such predictive power, and, as such, is scientifically useless.
word.

Old 22nd November 2004, 17:32   #229
CraigF
Passionately Apathetic
Administrator

i love you guys.

CraigF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2004, 18:32   #230
Mattress
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by xzxzzx
What you have to keep in mind about Gravity vs. God is that the theory of Gravity holds some (in fact, quite a lot of) predictive power - that is, knowing that theory allows us to predict that if we send a probe with X vector, then Y planet's gravitational pull will send the probe to Z.

Something similar could be said about the theory of evolution.
Old 22nd November 2004, 18:43   #231
shakey_snake
Forum Domo

Quote:
Originally posted by gaekwad2
The more I think about it: No it doesn't.

It's still blackmail, only reworded. Any kidnapper can say "Do what I tell you and you won't suffer.", does that really sound good to you?
(hmm, maybe religious faith is some kind of Stockholm syndrome)

And that's all that's necessary.

The idea of heaven and hell and life as a probation period makes perfect sense if you want to tie people in and control them.

Almost all religions (Buddhism may be an exception) obviously need something to scare people into submission.
I still think that this argument is a matter of preception. I think the part that you are not understanding is that when God creates the new heavens and earth as promised in Revelation, they will be perfect, and God will fellowship with his church, and there will be no room for sin. So, in order to promise something better, there has to be something worse. That just happens to be hell. And the people who have been sent there have choosen to go there.
Quote:
Originally posted by CraigF
existance is nothing without proof.
Then how does proof exist?
Answer: God.
Quote:
You're missing my point. If god invented love itself (as well as every thing else in existence, both physical and logical), why didn't he just make it unconditional for us to love him back? And who's to say that we aren't loving him at this very instant, without us knowing? You know, a subconsious type of thing?
God didn't invent Love, God is love. God is the meaning of is.
Quote:

I just don't understand how any kind of self-respecting deity can invent such a concept and then expect his own inferiour creations to take it upon themselves to just happen to love their creator, sight unseen.
God doesn't expect, god wants, he craves it, but since the fall, he doesn't expect it.
Quote:
Originally posted by Phyltre
Sometimes I think that there are laws (or concepts) inherent in the existence of God (or perhaps necessary in an integral scheme-of-things sort of way) that God did not directly create. It seems that He operates on certain principles that are either self-imposed or exist apart from him for whatever reason.
i would say that this is very accurate. However, these don't exist apart from him, but instead, he is the very embodiment of these principles.
Quote:
Originally posted by Raz
Shakey, what about a group of people born on an island who have never heard of your god and your ways. Are they condemned to hell because they don't love your god?
I've actually already answered this one. First understand, if someone has heard an accurate depiction of the Gospel, I think it is nessicery that they're heart be moved to the point of accepting him as savior. But should this not happen, I do think that those peoples' hearts (i've been using the word 'heart' in this posts figuratively) will be fairly judged by Christ. Job was not a Jew, he was from the east, but he still found favor inthe sight of God.
Quote:
Originally posted by GqSkrub
To the crazy Christians: perhaps you can explain to me this: How can God have no favorites yet have Isreal as his "chosen people"? How can God/Jesus/Holy Spirit love EVERYONE yet have only certain people whom he/they have CHOSEN to get to heaven?
The bottom line is that hte BIble is not infallable and it is entirely possible that God can exist.
God choose Israel as his chosen people do to Abraham's faithfulness. What this means is that God choose Israel to be the culture that the Messiah would be born into. That is pretty much all God's election for Jews was was, more or less.

Old 22nd November 2004, 19:35   #232
General Geoff
Major Dude

So basically, you're saying that god is flawed and is a hypocrite because he covets love. Good job.

Old 22nd November 2004, 19:38   #233
will

Quote:
True proofs only exist in maths (and the axioms contained therein [such as 1+1=2]).

Humans created maths.

(Sure, we do use mathematical formalities to descibe the universe in science, but science is not in the business of proof, science is in the business of prediction. Similarly, law is in the business of "beyond resonable doubt" which is not proof.)

Old 22nd November 2004, 19:41   #234
gaekwad2
Foorum King

Quote:
I still think that this argument is a matter of preception. I think the part that you are not understanding is that when God creates the new heavens and earth as promised in Revelation, they will be perfect, and God will fellowship with his church, and there will be no room for sin. So, in order to promise something better, there has to be something worse. That just happens to be hell. And the people who have been sent there have choosen to go there.
Nobody will be sent to hell against their will?

And what is "in order to promise something better, there has to be something worse." supposed to mean?
Is heaven so unattractive that you have to create hell to make it look good in comparison?
Quote:
No offense but that's just stupid!
Quote:
God didn't invent Love, God is love. God is the meaning of is.
Creative linguistics, respect.
But what does that mean in the case of a man loving another man?

And of course then these sentences should read:
Quote:
God didn't invent God, God God God. God God the meaning of God.
God is a word, nothing more, nothing less.
Old 22nd November 2004, 19:42   #235
General Geoff
Major Dude

Science is the pursuit of fact; philosophy is the pursuit of truth. Math is the only absolute when it comes to proofs.

Old 22nd November 2004, 19:55   #236
CaboWaboAddict
Forum Sot
(Major Dude)

Quote:
Science is the pursuit of fact; philosophy is the pursuit of truth. Math is the only absolute when it comes to proofs.
Then how do you explain imaginary numbers?

Idiot's Advocate
My site (under construction)
CaboWaboAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2004, 20:11   #237
gaekwad2
Foorum King

Can you show me a church that worships imaginary numbers?

Maybe I'd even join.

"Oh square root of minus one, thy kingdom come!"
Old 22nd November 2004, 20:11   #238
General Geoff
Major Dude

numbers are nothing but imaginary. The number "15" doesn't actually exist; it's just a logical placeholder to represent a certain amount of things. Now here's a better question: What's the square root of -1 (and don't say i)?

Old 22nd November 2004, 20:14   #239
gaekwad2
Foorum King

But I am the square root of -1
Old 22nd November 2004, 20:14   #240
will

Quote:
Originally posted by CaboWaboAddict
Then how do you explain imaginary numbers?
I <3 imaginary numbers.

(they just came about because some mathematicians thought it might be interesting to see what would happen if sqrt(-1) did exist. turns out they are interesting and useful [the numbers not the mathematicians ])

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions