Old 23rd February 2010, 22:28   #1
ericwoodland

Shoutcast Server on Windows Server 2008 x64

All-

I've been reading through the forums left and right, but could not find an answer (so here I am posting my first thread!)

I am running a Windows 2008 x64 Server at 1and1.com and cannot for the life of me get the Shoutcast application to reply to a client. Here are my details:

Shoutcast Server 1.98
Shoutcast Portbase 8000
Shoutcast IP: 74.208.75.20

I am running SAM Broadcaster on the server, so I do not have 8001 allowed in my firewall (since no external source is needed).

My issue is that when I attempt to connect a client on port 8000, a [SYN] is seen coming inbound to the server, but no [ACK] ever goes back out to the client. In lamens terms, the client is able to connect in, but the server never responds. Of course yp.shoutcast.com cannot communicate with my server on 8000, so it causes the (Cannot See your Station From The Internet) message to pop-up.

Has anyone else experienced an issue like this? Does the Shoutcast Server even truly support 2008 or x64 bit?

Thanks in advance-

Eric
ericwoodland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2010, 22:31   #2
Sawg
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to Sawg Send a message via AIM to Sawg Send a message via Yahoo to Sawg
it works fine on that OS. I would contact your host for support, see if they are blocking the connection on port 8000 and 8001.

| Brought to you by ^V ^C | The one... the original... no seriously!
Sawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2010, 22:38   #3
ericwoodland

Quote:
Originally posted by Sawg
it works fine on that OS. I would contact your host for support, see if they are blocking the connection on port 8000 and 8001.
I've been barking up their tree all day long.

They have a GUI-controlled Cisco firewall, which I have completely disabled (temporarily just for testing). I have also completely disabled the Windows Firewall service as well (of course, temporarily for testing). They claim beyond those two firewalls, they filter nothing else on the perimeter.

The odd thing is that I see traffic coming in, but it's almost like the Shoutcast server doesn't see the request, therefore does nothing to return the call. I have only 1 public IP, which is bound to the NIC of the server. Is there any parameter out of the obvious I need to set?

I should also mention that I have tried the server on ports 9000 and 10000 to verify I have no conflicting ports/services.
Old 23rd February 2010, 22:41   #4
Sawg
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to Sawg Send a message via AIM to Sawg Send a message via Yahoo to Sawg
DestIP and SrcIP are set to ANY in the config, correct? Sounds like something is blocking the traffic from getting to the DNAS.

Just when watching traffic and setting things up. PortBase is defined as 8000, and in the DSP/SAM you put 8000, but the source client actually connects to Portbase+1 (8001) and listeners on the PortBase 8000.

| Brought to you by ^V ^C | The one... the original... no seriously!
Sawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2010, 22:45   #5
ericwoodland

Quote:
Originally posted by Sawg
DestIP and SrcIP are set to ANY in the config, correct? Sounds like something is blocking the traffic from getting to the DNAS.

Just when watching traffic and setting things up. PortBase is defined as 8000, and in the DSP/SAM you put 8000, but the source client actually connects to Portbase+1 (8001) and listeners on the PortBase 8000.
Yes, the DestIP and SrcIP are set to ANY. SAM is publishing locally to "8000" (which actually is 8001 and shows 'ESTABLISHED' when I run a netstat.

What I can't figure out is why the Shoutcast server won't pick up on the requests coming in on 8000. Wireshark shows them coming in 8000 just fine, but nothing ever latches on and replies back.
Old 24th February 2010, 14:21   #6
ericwoodland

*Bump*

Anyone have an idea why the Shoutcast server wouldn't be attaching to incoming connections on 8000? I can access the Shoutcast GUI through a web browser within the server on 8000, so I know the service is up and running on an 'internal' level.

Last edited by ericwoodland; 24th February 2010 at 14:47.
Old 24th February 2010, 20:14   #7
Klausi2007

Quote:
Originally posted by ericwoodland
*Bump*

Anyone have an idea why the Shoutcast server wouldn't be attaching to incoming connections on 8000? I can access the Shoutcast GUI through a web browser within the server on 8000, so I know the service is up and running on an 'internal' level.
1.)
Have you checked, if the sc_serv.exe really listening on all interfaces - eg. with command netstat -n -a -p TCP
It should state you a listening port on local address 0.0.0.0:8000

2.)
Eventually check the network traffic with a tool like "wireshark" (don't know if it runs on 2k8 server x64, but it has an windows installer 64bit).
If you are not familar with wireshark and you connect to your server with RDP (Remote Desktop), open the menu capture, select "interfaces" and click the "Optopns" button , at "Capture filter" type port 8000
and start. Make a request with your browser. You have to see a [SYN] with Seq=0 from your home IP and a [SYN, ACK] from your server. If not, the problem is really locally at your server. It's really low level but may be it helps.

Edit:
If you not see the [SYN], the connection will be filtered on "whatever" on the way _TO_ your server.

CU, Klaus

euer-radio.de - Shoutcast Radio/TV from Germany since 2006
Klausi2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2010, 20:18   #8
ericwoodland

Quote:
Originally posted by Klausi2007
1.)
Have you checked, if the sc_serv.exe really listening on all interfaces - eg. with command netstat -n -a -p TCP
It should state you a listening port on local address 0.0.0.0:8000

2.)
Eventually check the network traffic with a tool like "wireshark" (don't know if it runs on 2k8 server x64, but it has an windows installer 64bit).
If you are not familar with wireshark and you connect to your server with RDP (Remote Desktop), open the menu capture, select "interfaces" and click the "Optopns" button , at "Capture filter" type port 8000
and start. Make a request with your browser. You have to see a [SYN] with Seq=0 from your home IP and a [SYN, ACK] from your server. If not, the problem is really locally at your server. It's really low level but may be it helps.

CU, Klaus
Thanks for the advice.

Yes, I was using WireShark to acknowledge that connections were indeed arriving at the server. Believe it or not, I just realized that IPSEC was enabled and I had not yet added a policy to allow the traffic on port 8000. Created a rule and BAM, it's flowing just fine.

Mark this case closed!
Old 24th February 2010, 20:24   #9
Klausi2007

Ah :-)
Thanks for the quick reply and the way to solve it :-)

euer-radio.de - Shoutcast Radio/TV from Germany since 2006
Klausi2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2010, 20:25   #10
ericwoodland

Quote:
Originally posted by Klausi2007
Ah :-)
Thanks for the quick reply and the way to solve it :-)
No problem! Thanks to everyone for the input. I was just about to loose my mind
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Technical Support