Balled and Chained
Alumni

"Dear Mr Principal": My self-righteous letter to my daughter's school

https://twitter.com/HU6H/status/4517...755842/photo/1

"My heart hates uggos." –J.D.
iomegajaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2014, 01:58   #2
sankt

I still don't understand the whole purpose of this " common core " method of teaching. I have seen examples of math problems where you use arrows on a scale to " compute " mathematical answers - which makes absolutely no sense to me. Give me old fashioned vertically stacked numbers where you can add subtract multiply and divide.

https://www.ijreview.com/2014/03/124...core-homework/

If this method of instruction continues to pervade education - then we have absolutely no glimmer of hope.

Scenic Television is your ambient window to the world - - Television.ScenicRadio.com
sankt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2014, 04:46   #3
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

Riposte!

"My heart hates uggos." –J.D.
iomegajaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2014, 06:05   #4
sgtfuzzbubble011

sgtfuzzbubble011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2014, 06:19   #5
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Location: West Virginia Googolplex: 10^10¹°° FB:/SSJ4.DominusDeus DeviantArt: DominusDeus XboX GT: A Wild Meeseeks Playstation 4: DominusDeus
Send a message via AIM to SSJ4 Gogitta

SSJ4 Gogitta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2014, 04:30   #6
pixiefied
Mother Trucker

Send a message via Yahoo to pixiefied
So glad my kids aren't in school anymore.

"Well, got to love you and leave you, need to go get into the shower and rub my hard naked body all over with soapy bubbles, I'll be back later to carry on playing....

It'll take you some time to get over the image of me naked in the shower......mind you don't masturbate to hard thinking about it...."
- Mr.Jones
pixiefied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2014, 05:18   #7
hgnis
Hobbit Humper
Forum King

Can always try homeschooling. If all else fails, the good old Roman Catholic school system should take care of them.....the beatings worked wonders for me.

I am so important I feel the need to let it be known like a liberal discovering the internets for the first time. Uh hur hur hur. I also wash myself with a rag on a stick.
Realitybites
<3
hgnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2014, 18:51   #8
mike-db
Pancakes!
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to mike-db
I home schooled as well but no Roman Catholic school system for me.

I tell you what, the motivation required to keep going and not slack off with parents who seem uninterested/don't understand the work in the home schooling area of it all can be quite difficult. I barely made it through my two years and ended back in the public school system simply because my teachers there were more willing to help and push me to better my self.

Not saying that my parents were bad or completely arrogant towards my education it was simply the fact that they did not understand the "core education" of Canada. It's hard for them to teach me anything when I have to teach them how I need to do the work. :P

SEX APPEAL UP IN HERE!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
mike-db is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2014, 13:07   #9
fc*uk

In Roman Catholic high school, we teach you mother fucking Latin and classical Greek because that is going to halp you in the futures!

And now I am incapable of learning anything close to a modern language
fc*uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2014, 15:27   #10
mikm
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by sankt View Post
I still don't understand the whole purpose of this " common core " method of teaching. I have seen examples of math problems where you use arrows on a scale to " compute " mathematical answers - which makes absolutely no sense to me. Give me old fashioned vertically stacked numbers where you can add subtract multiply and divide.

https://www.ijreview.com/2014/03/124...core-homework/

If this method of instruction continues to pervade education - then we have absolutely no glimmer of hope.
Common Core is just a set of standards. It's not a particular curriculum or way of teaching. I think the math standards (at least at the high school level; I can't speak for lower grades) are pretty well thought out. In particular, I like that there is a greater emphasis on requiring that students be able to justify/explain their work.

That said, I am not a fan of Engage New York and many other curricula created for the CC. I don't think the fault is with the Common Core; you can create a shitty curriculum for any set of standards. If I had to guess, I'd say that Engage New York and its ilk were created by assholes who have never taught and don't really "get" math.