Old 26th December 2004, 01:36   #1
protegechris
Forum Queen

Trying to decide between two cameras..

So I've finally got enough money to buy a digital camera, and I'm torn between two decisions.

Yes, they're from walmart. Only place in town I could find with decent prices, and no I can't order online, no credit card with 100 dollars on it

HP 3.1 MP Photosmart PS435v Digital Camera
Available locally for $117

or

HP 3.2 MP Photosmart M305v Digital Camera
Available locally for $127

Can anyone make a recommendation on either of these?

Naturally the 2nd is a bit better, but the color isn't like the other, which is why I'mundecided, I like the pure silver of the other one.

I'm also wondering what the battery usage between the two will be like, since the 2nd one has a larger screen.

I plan to go buy one of these two on the first of january, so any suggestions are appreciated

By the way, anyone with a spare mp3 player give me a holler, not looking for something elegant, seeing as I've only got about 75 bucks left after buying the camera.

yeah, i'm back.
protegechris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2004, 02:01   #2
gaekwad2
Foorum King

According to the specs the second is a whole lot better:
-optical zoom
-faster shutter
-long exposure
-manual focus

All these things can be quite useful, the only reason to take the first one would be better picture quality (search for tests).
gaekwad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2004, 02:06   #3
billyvnilly
Forum King, M.D.

Send a message via ICQ to billyvnilly Send a message via AIM to billyvnilly
1st doesnt have optical zoom. diff't shutter speeds.

usually they should say how many pictures you can take on the same batteries, but those pages dont, perhaps HP website does.

I'd go with 2nd for the zoom. screw battery life. buy rechargeables.
billyvnilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2004, 02:11   #4
mikm
Major Dude

2nd for sure.

powered by C₂H₅OH
mikm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2004, 03:33   #5
protegechris
Forum Queen

Idon't know a whole lot about cameras, I'm wondering what Shutter speed and exposure should actually mean to me

I'm going to try and find reviews and picture examples, I was wondering what you meant, gaek:
Quote:
the only reason to take the first one would be better picture quality (search for tests).
Seems with better specs the 2nd would have better quality?

yeah, i'm back.
Old 26th December 2004, 03:42   #6
sgtfuzzbubble011

My dad has an HP camera very similar to the first one you linked to (but I think his is a 430 model). If you don't mind changing batteries out all the time, it's ok for the price. That thing eats batteries for breakfast, though. But looking at the two choices, I think I'd go with the second model (M305v). Seems to have a lot more for just ten extra dollars.

Too bad you can't get a Fuji FinePix, though.
sgtfuzzbubble011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2004, 03:57   #7
gaekwad2
Foorum King

Quote:
Originally posted by protegechris
Idon't know a whole lot about cameras, I'm wondering what Shutter speed and exposure should actually mean to me
Faster shutter: Able to shoot fast moving objects with 50% less (danger of) motion blur.

Long exposure: Kinda the opposite, with a tripod you can leave the shutter open for up to 16 seconds to take pictures in very low light without flash.

Quote:
I'm going to try and find reviews and picture examples, I was wondering what you meant, gaek:

Seems with better specs the 2nd would have better quality?
The second camera is much more versatile, still the first one might produce sharper or clearer(gr?) images or better colours.
Old 26th December 2004, 04:15   #8
Phyltre
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to Phyltre Send a message via Yahoo to Phyltre
The only digital camera I've used for any length of time is an HP 618, but I can say that just a few minutes of using the camera with the backscreen coming on for three seconds on each picture-capture (the default setting) will kill batteries. I'd say three minutes of screen time and the batteries are dead; without the screen at all, the batteries may last for sixty or so pictures before dying once again.

Does anyone have (know of) any decent images of a jackalope?

Oh, and what I actually posted here for:

Quote:
By the way, anyone with a spare mp3 player give me a holler, not looking for something elegant, seeing as I've only got about 75 bucks left after buying the camera.
I recently saw a bunch of 20GB MP3 players on sale at Wal-Mart for $94.00. It is shaped like a CD-Player, so it's not exactly tiny, but I thought it was a great deal for the money (since even a 256MB model will likely be more than that.)
I don't remember the model, but the shape is distinctive (and really, is a CD-player-size MP3 player that bad?) If I'd have had the spare $94 on hand, I'd have myself one right now.
Phyltre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2004, 05:38   #9
protegechris
Forum Queen

Hmm. Looks as if I'll be going with the 2nd camera, although I don't feel the style is as sleek as the other, seems like a lot better of a camera for only about 10 dollars more.

As far as MP3 players, I'm looking at :
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...96469%3A132488

or

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...3A3983%3A96469

I like the 2nd, for 80 bucks, 256mb with voice recording Although, the 1st has twice the battery life.

Still might try to find one used, hopefully I can, I'd really like something affordable.

yeah, i'm back.
Old 26th December 2004, 06:11   #10
MaTTFURY
Major Dude

go for the 1st!!! I DARE YOU (don't listen to me im the forum 'village idiot')

i am not normal, no really.
MaTTFURY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2004, 11:37   #11
c2R
Stereotype?
(Forum King)

I personally wouldn't buy a digital camera from a printer manufacturer... Instead I'd go with a company which actually has a history of making cameras....

I've got the Pentax Optio 43WR (because I do mountain climbing for a hobby and need something a little more, er, waterproof than your standard affair!), and I really like the ease of use, features, and picture quality of the entire optio range.

However, cameras which I've used from Canon and Kodak seems also very good - but, er, yes... don't bother about the digital zoom figure - you can always manually zoom and crop the pictures on the computer later....
c2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2004, 11:41   #12
protegechris
Forum Queen

Looks like I'm going to get the 2nd camera, because good zoom is important, I've been using a mavica with 10x optical zoom, it's great.

I actually like HP, and really it's the best I can get with the budget I'm on.

I'm wondering what the long exposure can do photographically wise, I think I've seen a few pics taken like that before.

For the kind of pics I'll be taking, see here

Edit: And after all, walmart does a 90 day return policy on electronics if you have a receipt, if it turns out to be a waste, I'll return/exchange it.

My local store doesn't seem to have a lot of the stuff that's online, so I'll be looking at all options when I go to buy one. I'm liking this one, but I guess I'll see what's available when I go up there.

Edit2:

Out of 2 reviews I found on the 2nd camera, both said the picture quality is poor.

Edit 3:
WOAH! I found 2 reviews for camera 2, and 21 for camera 1. Every review for cam 1 said it was a battery hog and generally rated it poor. I'm so going to buy rechargables, i just hate to spend 20 dollars on a charger.

yeah, i'm back.
Old 26th December 2004, 12:53   #13
gaekwad2
Foorum King

How about the Canon A400?
It's a little more expensive than the HP and has a smaller zoom and shutter speed range but the image quality is really good according to reviews (eg. this or this).
Old 26th December 2004, 13:01   #14
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Location: West Virginia Googolplex: 10^10¹°° FB:/SSJ4.DominusDeus DeviantArt: DominusDeus XboX GT: A Wild Meeseeks Playstation 4: DominusDeus
Send a message via AIM to SSJ4 Gogitta
Personally, I'd wait and save a bit more money and get a Nikon...

SSJ4 Gogitta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2004, 14:34   #15
c2R
Stereotype?
(Forum King)

Here's one I took at nighttime on long exposure

http://images3.fotopic.net/?iid=y5z5...ze=1&nostamp=1

Note that the image is very compressed, from 2,5meg down to about a hundred and fifty k, for the purposes of it being put on the internet - so there will be some compression artifacts present.

Not bad though, considering it was very dark out when I took it....

Chris
c2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2004, 17:48   #16
sgtfuzzbubble011

I still think you should save up and get a Fuji. The FinePix A330 looks like it's got exactly what you're looking for.
Old 26th December 2004, 17:58   #17
ertmann|CPH
Forum Viking
(Forum King)

DONT BUY A HP DIGITAL CAMERA!!!!!!!

Did the same thing, and regreted it bitterly

I've only ever dropped it once - from a table to the floor (50 cm or so).... and it broke, went to two pieces, and the plastic thingies who held the screws broke too - so you couldn't fix it...

And HP offcourse wouldn't give me a new one....

appart from that, the slider that slided in front of the lense - and also functioned as the on/off switch, became dodgy allready after a two months use...

and as sarge said, they eat batteries for breakfast...
ertmann|CPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2004, 18:07   #18
shakey_snake
Forum Domo

If you save up a little to get a $150 camera or so, it would probably be well worth the wait.

[edit]
This is what I got BTW, image quality is goood, and I'm sure the parents didn't spend over 150 for it:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...170-018&depa=0

elevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladylevitateme
shakey_snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2004, 09:14   #19
protegechris
Forum Queen

Hey Sarge, I went to walmart tonight, they have the FinePix A330, but were out of EVERY CAMERA.

Anyways, I'm going to Sam's Club in a few hours when they open, I'll be getting whichever they have.

I'm also picking up a 128mb memory card, and a 1 hour battery charger

yeah, i'm back.
Old 27th December 2004, 13:37   #20
sgtfuzzbubble011

<3 Sam's Club

And it figures that Wally World would be completely out of stock of the A330. It's probably the best ~3mp camera they have.
Old 27th December 2004, 17:29   #21
grumpyBB

Send a message via AIM to grumpyBB
Quote:
Originally posted by ertmann|CPH
DONT BUY A HP DIGITAL CAMERA!!!!!!!

Did the same thing, and regreted it bitterly

I've only ever dropped it once - from a table to the floor (50 cm or so).... and it broke, went to two pieces, and the plastic thingies who held the screws broke too - so you couldn't fix it...

And HP offcourse wouldn't give me a new one....
uhhh. I don't give a shit who made the camera, if you abuse it by dropping it they're not going to replace it because of your carelessness. I'm pretty sure Nikon wouldn't replace my D70 if I dropped it either and that was $1000 just for the body, even though it's built very well.
grumpyBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2004, 23:08   #22
ertmann|CPH
Forum Viking
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by grumpyBB
uhhh. I don't give a shit who made the camera, if you abuse it by dropping it they're not going to replace it because of your carelessness. I'm pretty sure Nikon wouldn't replace my D70 if I dropped it either and that was $1000 just for the body, even though it's built very well.
ok, i'll rephrase it for you love....

the budget HP digital camera models are poorly (as in not solid) build, the body is connected to the frame with four fragile pieces of plastic functioning as frames for the screws, which in essense means that they take less punishment than say my current Samsung camera and the Nikon, Olympus or Fuji models i've seen the inside off...

With the post you've written here, i've come to the understanding that you are a perfect human being - who never would be so clumsy as to accidentially hit a table and make things fall from it... offcourse you wouldn't - unfortunantly for man kind, not all people are as perfect as you.

Regarding HP not wanting to replace it, i thought the "offcouse" would underline that i wasn't expecting them too since it was not a mechanical failure causing it to brake.... im terribly sorry - im not a native speaker - so sometimes my sentences are not as clear as i would like them to be....

I hope this is better formulated, and i sincerely hope i didn't cause you any emotional distress by writing rubbish like that, if i did - you have my most sincere apologies...

Yours truely
- Stefan
Old 28th December 2004, 00:04   #23
grumpyBB

Send a message via AIM to grumpyBB
Quote:
ok, i'll rephrase it for you love....

the budget HP digital camera models are poorly (as in not solid) build, the body is connected to the frame with four fragile pieces of plastic functioning as frames for the screws, which in essense means that they take less punishment than say my current Samsung camera and the Nikon, Olympus or Fuji models i've seen the inside off...

With the post you've written here, i've come to the understanding that you are a perfect human being - who never would be so clumsy as to accidentially hit a table and make things fall from it... offcourse you wouldn't - unfortunantly for man kind, not all people are as perfect as you.

Regarding HP not wanting to replace it, i thought the "offcouse" would underline that i wasn't expecting them too since it was not a mechanical failure causing it to brake.... im terribly sorry - im not a native speaker - so sometimes my sentences are not as clear as i would like them to be....
Ahhh...we have a crybaby with sand in his vagina. Did I hit a sore spot?

By writing "And HP offcourse wouldn't give me a new one.... " it sounds to me like you were expecting them to replace it and then whining when they wouldn't.

Did I ever say I've not broken anything? No, your imagination made that up. I never said I was perfect, what I said (if you'd use your brain and a little reading comprehension) is that dropping something and then bitching about it not working is stupid. Yes, I've dropped a few things over the years...but I've never bitched like a whiny baby like you're doing over the resulting damage.

If you don't want your shit to end up broken then don't drop it or abuse it and then whine when it doesn't work. If you buy cheap shit then don't expect it to be anything other than cheaply made. I hate to tell you but your $20 Timex is not going to take the beating that a $500 Seiko will...the same goes with cameras, buy a cheap camera and it's going to be built...guess what? CHEAPLY!
grumpyBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2004, 00:17   #24
ertmann|CPH
Forum Viking
(Forum King)

ok one more time....

i was simply sharing the experience i made when my camera broke, that they have a flawed design (the plastic screw frames), which makes them more easy to brake than other makes, like for example the fuji chev was suggesting.... that was all really - it's not overly complicated

why buy something that brakes easy of you accidentially drop it, when you can get another budget camera that doesn't have that same flaw, and have better image procesing capabilites and quality?

yes budget cameras are not as good as expensive cameras - that does indeed make sense, damn you're smart

and i allready appologised for not expressing myself in proper english - and ill gladly do it one more time - sorry. However - i'll bet im a lot more coherent in English than you are in Danish, German or Japanese - so i think we'll have to continue in English, once again - sorry about that....

Åndsvage spasser!
Old 28th December 2004, 00:24   #25
shakey_snake
Forum Domo

Chris, did you pick?

Old 28th December 2004, 02:30   #26
sgtfuzzbubble011

Quote:
I hate to tell you but your $20 Timex is not going to take the beating that a $500 Seiko will...
I beg to differ.
Old 28th December 2004, 02:44   #27
Phyltre
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to Phyltre Send a message via Yahoo to Phyltre
Yeah, have you ever tried to kill a $20 Timex?

I mean, the very fact that it's more expensive means that there is more potential damage, qualitatively speaking.
Phyltre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2004, 14:39   #28
watadoo
JEDI MASTER

I just got a new Kodak for christmas. 10x optical zoom (ferrgeddaout digital zoom = distortion), 4.5 mpix, manual mode. I'll post my first weekend's snapping in separate posts.

"Which is worse, ignorance or indifference?"

"I don't know, and I don't care."
watadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2004, 14:42   #29
watadoo
JEDI MASTER

A dwarfed by the cold lemon off my mother-in-law's lemon tree on xmas morning. Viewed full size you can see the face of the virgin mary in the rind. I think I'll sell it on Ebay.

Old 28th December 2004, 14:44   #30
watadoo
JEDI MASTER

looking down the ridge towards my home. only 12 minutes from Berkeley, 30 from SF.

Old 28th December 2004, 15:38   #31
Germ
rules all things

I need a camera that works good in low light or no light without flash, someone know of one? also would prefer it have a high zoom capability and at least 4 mega pixels.
Germ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2004, 16:06   #32
fwgx
Rudolf the Red.
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by Germ
I need a camera that works good in low light or no light without flash, someone know of one? also would prefer it have a high zoom capability and at least 4 mega pixels.
That's exactly what I'm after now. I have a Canon A70 but in low light - even only slightly dim light - without the flash the images are very grainy indeed. The images otherwise are ok they're about bright enough they just look very very grainy. Outside or with the flash they are great.

I'm looking to spend around the 350 - 400 £ mark on my next one, maybe doing a part-ex on my current one.

The smaller with more manual features the better. I'm not looking for something SLR sized yet.

Anyone have any suggestions?

.: fwgx.co.uk.:.My art:.

"We think science is interesting and if you disagree, you can fuck off."
fwgx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2004, 18:13   #33
watadoo
JEDI MASTER

you need a camera with manual mode so you can adjust shutter speeds and f-stops to deal with lack of proper lighting situations. Oh, and a tripod is helpful as well as you'll be getting blurry shots with the shutter open so long to grab the necessary light.
Old 29th December 2004, 11:31   #34
protegechris
Forum Queen

Wow, After about 3 or 4 days without enough speed to even load the forums I can finally post.

And hot damn do I have a story for you all!

So, My aunt picked me up, and we drove to Sam's Club, because nobody, I mean NOBODY had this camera. Sam's Club didn't have any cameras in stock under 200 dollars, so we left, and drove to walmart, to see if they had it in stock yet. Nope, not yet. So we drove to BEST BUY. Best Buy had cameras 200 bucks and up, just like Sam's. So after a day of searching, I went home, still camera-less.

So I got home, and my internet problems had continued throughout the day, after I thought I had fixed it that morning. I had tried new hard drives in the computer, and I had streamed with my 1.8ghz with no problem for a bit, which I later found out the problem was my modem and ISP..

Anyways, so I left to go to walmart to buy a NIC for the streaming computer. I get there, and they've restocked most cameras, and have ONE of the more expensive HPs. I asked the employee to open the case to get it out, and they said "do you have money to buy it?". I pulled out ~180 dollars in 20s and they said "Oh, Okay.". I figured I could pull off buying a few more things for it. First I made sure it wasn't something returned from christmas, and it still had the factory seals, so I assumed it was new. I asked the woman if she could get a memory card off of the security rack (they have locks on it all), and she said "You'll have to ask the photo lady". Naturally the photo lady has 100 people in line, so when she's done, I asked for the memory, and she got it for me, then I also picked up the NIC and a camera case.

Considering I had a camera, a case, a NIC, and a memory card, I was praying I would be able to make it, tax here is around 9%. She checks everything out, I'm sweating hoping I can buy it all, and the screen reads "$155.96". This surprised the shit out of me, I figured something must have been on clearance.

Walking out of the store 150 dollars poorer but with everything I wanted for christmas, I walked out the doors, and naturally, the security alarm went off. The woman was older who checked my (walmart) bag , and looked over the receipt and the stuff in my (walmart ) bag, and said, sorry about that, I guess they didn't take the security strip off of your camera. Have fun with it!

I get to the car, and we head home, and I look over the receipt, and it shows THREE things sold, instead of 4. I look at my stuff, and I realize, I was never charged for my memory card, and I was even stopped by security and THEY didn't catch it!

So that was an awesome gift! I got home later, and it turned out the new NIC didn't help, so I took it back to wally world that night (3rd trip today), and I went back to electronics, and I picked up a 15 hour battery charger, which charges (and came with) 4 batteries. They also had a 1 hour charger, but considering I don't take a WHOLE lot of pics, and didn't want to spend 20 more dollars, I bought the longer charger.

So, I've got the camera now, it's the HP M305, and I'm highly impressed by it.

What's even more impressive to me, and is something nowhere ever said, is that the camera has a built in microphone. Meaning I can both record sound with video, but I can also use the camera later to add sound to a picture! The HP software interface on the camera is great, and it came with the computer software as well.

Just some sample pics and a video or two here:

http://www.protegechris.info/gallery/1.jpg
http://www.protegechris.info/gallery/2.jpg
http://www.protegechris.info/gallery/3.jpg
http://www.protegechris.info/gallery/protevid.MPG

Anyways, I took the pics at 3megapixel, not the highest option (3.2mp high quality), and I'll have tons of better pics and videos soon, I'm at 99.6% usage on my "crap" server at the moment

Anyways, Thanks ALL of you for your suggestions and help in making me make my decision. When I get ready for a new camera, the finepix line is definitely something I'll remember, but for now I need to save as much money as possible for computer parts, my electric violin, and whatever else it is I need/want to buy.

yeah, i'm back.
Old 29th December 2004, 12:41   #35
ryan
not fucked, not quite.
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to ryan
I bought a Nikon Coolpix 3200 from Wal-Mart. $215.

I enjoy it greatly ^_^
ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2004, 18:41   #36
xzxzzx
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by Phyltre
The only digital camera I've used for any length of time is an HP 618, but I can say that just a few minutes of using the camera with the backscreen coming on for three seconds on each picture-capture (the default setting) will kill batteries. I'd say three minutes of screen time and the batteries are dead; without the screen at all, the batteries may last for sixty or so pictures before dying once again.
Get some lithium batteries. They'll last probably 25X longer (due to higher energy density, and a much flatter voltage curve), and they're only about 3X more expensive (much less expensive in the long run), plus they're significantly lighter.

Freedom of speech is the basic freedom of humanity. When you've lost that, you've lost everything.
1\/\/4y 34|<$p4y 1gp4y 33714y, 0d4y 0uy4y? | Roses are #FF0000; Violets are #0000FF; chown -R ${YOU} ~/base
The DMCA. It really is that bad. : Count for your life.
xzxzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2004, 18:52   #37
xzxzzx
Forum King

Quote:
i was simply sharing the experience i made when my camera broke, that they have a flawed design (the plastic screw frames), which makes them more easy to brake than other makes, like for example the fuji chev was suggesting.... that was all really - it's not overly complicated

why buy something that brakes easy of you accidentially drop it, when you can get another budget camera that doesn't have that same flaw, and have better image procesing capabilites and quality?
No, ertmann, it's not overly complicated, it really was quite simple. Your original statement was slightly ambiguous (since it wasn't spoken, and we couldn't hear the tone of your voice, "of course" could be sarcastic, which is how grumpy seemed to interpret it - in the future, you may wish to use "as I would expect", to be more clear), but it was certainly clear enough when you explained what you meant.

Also, I agree that it's best not to buy something that breaks easily, but I have to wonder if it was just that camera you had that would break that easily - I mean, I can't imagine HP selling a product that was that easily broken, perhaps it hit the floor just right.

Freedom of speech is the basic freedom of humanity. When you've lost that, you've lost everything.
1\/\/4y 34|<$p4y 1gp4y 33714y, 0d4y 0uy4y? | Roses are #FF0000; Violets are #0000FF; chown -R ${YOU} ~/base
The DMCA. It really is that bad. : Count for your life.
xzxzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2004, 21:20   #38
shakey_snake
Forum Domo

Quote:
Originally posted by protegechris
So that was an awesome gift! I got home later, and it turned out the new NIC didn't help, so I took it back to wally world that night (3rd trip today), and I went back to electronics, and I picked up a 15 hour battery charger, which charges (and came with) 4 batteries. They also had a 1 hour charger, but considering I don't take a WHOLE lot of pics, and didn't want to spend 20 more dollars, I bought the longer charger.
I got a 15 min 2 battery charger from radioshack for $20 (after $10 rebate).
here

Old 30th December 2004, 00:35   #39
sgtfuzzbubble011

Quote:
When I get ready for a new camera, the finepix line is definitely something I'll remember...
If you do end up getting a FinePix, I'm sure you'll be quite pleased with it. I love mine. But for now, enjoy your new HP.
Old 30th December 2004, 07:11   #40
protegechris
Forum Queen

It's just amazing, I love the built in mic feature, you can even go back and add audio to still images on the camera.

Mine came with 2 energizer lithium e2's and I've taken over an hours worth of video and done a lot of stuff on it for about 3 or 4 days now, still running on them. I have it set so if i dont move anything for 30 seconds the screen will shut off, and also the screen is off when you start the camera.

Video is a great feature, it's just so cool

yeah, i'm back.
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions