Old 16th October 2000, 08:22   #1
b_switzer

I can't be the only one wondering about this, so it'd be great if the answer could be added to the FAQ. I've searched the community but I'm getting nowhere fast - I expect the answer is here already, but because I haven't done enough of this, I don't know the correct search terms. (If I did, I'd probably already know the answer as well.)

I've followed various FAQ instructions to burn a CD, both from .wav and/or .mp3. They're great as far as they go - but when I put the CD back in the computer, where'd my song titles go?

Web references to explain this would be good.

I expect title information was lost somewhere in the .mp3 -> .wav -> .cda (?) -> CD process.

But where, how do I maintain it, how do I hold on to it as long as I can, and how do I get it back when I play the CD produced through WinAmp.

I guess what I'm looking for is a quick and dirty 'everything you ever wanted to know about song titles with .mp3' or something.

Thanks in advance.
b_switzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2000, 17:09   #2
aaron

song titles are NOT stored on cd (except if you have a cd-text enabled cdrom and burner, plus a burning program supporting it, and winamp does probably not support it anyway). if they're stored, they're on your computer. you can right-click on any cd track in the winamp playlist and type in what you have to type in, or, if you're too lazy to, just click "cddb".

------------------
"if there is something foolproof, there will always be a fool bigger than the proof"
aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2000, 05:33   #3
b_switzer

OK, can you tell me then where the information is lost? In the .mp3 -> .wav translation?

I've only seen CDDB happen automagically on an entire audio CD - are you able to get information on a song by song, or .mp3, basis?

Does Nero or anything else have the ability to maintain whatever text is in the .mp3 when writing to the CD?
Old 21st October 2000, 21:07   #4
aaron

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>OK, can you tell me then where the information is lost? In the .mp3 -&gt; .wav translation?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well, it's not so easy. The titles of a CD are stored in your computer's CD database - usually the file "cdplayer.ini" in your windows directory. now, converting to wav or mp3 there is no information loss, because that information had never been on the cd, just in the cd database. when you convert those tracks to wav or mp3 or whatever you want, they are not a CD anymore, of course. and so winamp does not look up the titles in the cd database.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
I've only seen CDDB happen automagically on an entire audio CD - are you able to get information on a song by song, or .mp3, basis?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
no, cddb only works with entire audio CDs. every cd has got an ID (a number which identifies it) and your computer uses that one to assign the titles to the tracks.
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
Does Nero or anything else have the ability to maintain whatever text is in the .mp3 when writing to the CD?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
the text whis is in an mp3 will always be preserved, however you copy, move or rename it. it will NOT be preserved, though, if you make an AUDIO cd with your mp3s, because the titles can be stored in the mp3s but not in the audio tracks.

one more thing: i would really not use winamp for cd-&gt;mp3 or wav-&gt;mp3 conversion. try cdex (www.cdex.n3.net), it is a much better program for that purpose.

------------------
"if there is something foolproof, there will always be a fool bigger than the proof"

[This message has been edited by aaron (edited October 21, 2000).]
Old 22nd October 2000, 11:40   #5
b_switzer

OK, I think I'm with you - you can't copy or put in something that wasn't there.

The .mp3 text stays with the file - but converting it to anything loses that text.

Is this the same as CD Text? (The .mp3 text.)

Assume for the moment that it is - will Nero or cdex take the text from the .mp3 (or anything + CDDB info) and write the CD such that when I pop it back into the computer, the song track names, artist, etc. are displayed?
Old 23rd October 2000, 00:56   #6
aaron

well, the text in an mp3 - also known as ID3 tag - is in the file. the text with a cd track - known as CD Text - is in a portion of the CD which only very few CDRom drives can read, and even less cd burners can write. moreover, most cd player programs don't use cd text, even if your drive would support it. CDEx, for example, doesn't. anyway, in THEORY, you could burn CD Text on your cd (if you have a burner supporting that functionality) and if you are using a cd burning program that supports cd text (nero does, although you'll have to retype the text, as it doesn't take it from the ID3 tags). then - if you have a cd rom drive supporting cd text (which you probably haven't), and if you have a cd player program supporting cd text (winamp doesn't), well, then you can. note: if you make an exact copy of a cd, also its identifier will be the same, and so if you have typed the titles into your cdplayer database, they will pop up; on another computer thay wont, though.

------------------
Old 23rd October 2000, 19:19   #7
b_switzer

Well - thank you Aaron, you're answers have been most enlightening. Not satisfying, but certainly enlightening.

Although it seems somewhat ludicrous that one puts a CD in a player (computer or otherwise) and the song titles don't show up - I suppose we must think of the standards / context at the time.

Is it too much to hope that DVD Audio/Video - DVD-RAM / DVD+RW does all this wonderful stuff?
Old 23rd October 2000, 21:24   #8
aaron

well, cds were introduced in 1979 i believe...they replaced cassettes, and then it was probably *great* that you could just push a button to listen to a certain song, without winding a lot. i dont know a lot about dvd, but i think they should support some kind of titling. (even minidiscs do)

------------------
Old 25th October 2000, 02:46   #9
ocelot312

Ok here goes:
Wave is raw audio.
MP3 is compressed audio + an MPEG header that holds information about the track.
Thats why wave has no info in the file.
BUT WAIT THERES MORE!!!
Winamp, in its greatness, takes the ID3 tag and makes it into a filename for the WAV, so not all is lost
ocelot312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2000, 03:29   #10
Winsane
Moderator Alumni

Actually, WAVs can have headers with such information. It's just not in ID3 format. Winamp won't read the info, but Windows can, and there's probably a program out there somewhere that can save ID3 info to the WAV header when converting MP3 to WAV.
Winsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2000, 07:08   #11
b_switzer

Oh goodie! Another web hunt for obscure software!

I think my original statement is correct, especially as this is a newbie forum.

Others must wonder about this (song titling), especially when first trying to get a handle on the concepts and terms (hmmm ID3, yes, that's the term!) - perhaps a candidate for an appendix to the FAQ on recording .mp3/.wav to CDs.
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support