Old 14th December 2014, 18:28   #1
ChiggyChiggy

Why is my Winamp like this? (streaming related)

I keep the streams that i listen to alot as playlists in Winamp, today however i noticed that it looks like this whenever i choose "view info" on a playing playlist http://i.gyazo.com/04d9daee8a289b6e1b2829f47ac7410b.png

Its never been like this before, usually its always like this when it comes to streams for me http://i.gyazo.com/44727276ecb3476f2815fdcea9acc0b9.png

Also, whenever i choose a stream (to make it play, or switch to the next one) Winamp hangs either alot or briefly until it plays, or it plays but remains hanged.

The only way for it to be the way it was is by using it in safe mode.

I havent added any plugins lately aside from updating the embedded cover art and diskwrite plugins.

Theres a Winamp info report attached to this.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Winamp_Info_Report_12-14-2014.zip (13.3 KB, 153 views)

*If you have issues with Winamp, ensure you have the currently latest version Winamp v5.666 build 3516 & its patches that fix several issues
*To remove the currently dead Winamp online stuff, see here: removing online stuff
*If you miss the Autotag feature: Gracenote CDDB Autotag alternatives
ChiggyChiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2014, 18:33   #2
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

You've been installing lots of 3rd-party input plugins....

The one responsible though is: MAD Plug-in (in_mad.dll)
DJ Egg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2014, 18:38   #3
ChiggyChiggy

Its fixed! Thank you!

Guess no more of the files it supported for me then :|

Why would an input plugin change the streaming behavior though?

*If you have issues with Winamp, ensure you have the currently latest version Winamp v5.666 build 3516 & its patches that fix several issues
*To remove the currently dead Winamp online stuff, see here: removing online stuff
Old 14th December 2014, 18:52   #4
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

in_mad is an old mp3 replacement plugin (mpeg audio decoder, or something), so it takes precedence over in_mp3
DJ Egg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2014, 19:01   #5
ChiggyChiggy

OHHHH, now i get it, i thought in_mad was one of the other chiptune playing plugins i have (i have lots of those files, altho i bet you noticed that already) Since most of those other plugins are there to open those kinds of files.

I mustve added it thinking it decoded those kinda of files...

Old 15th December 2014, 13:15   #6
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Interesting list, just added naming support for all ChipAMP input plugins to Winamp Info Tool.

Edit:

http://www.meggamusic.co.uk/shup/141..._Info_Tool.exe

Should show less 'Unknown Input Plug-in" entries in your list.

Will upload it to my website later.
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2014, 14:21   #7
DrO

as for why it did what it did, it's most likely because it explicitly says it handles mp3 and that would lead to in_mad being used for playback and file information, etc instead of the native in_mp3 which is typically the fallback used for anything that isn't processed in any of the other input plug-ins.

i know some people prefer in_mad and alternatives over in_mp3 due to better audio, etc (which is more likely down to any difference in processing done after decoding), but none of them integrate as well into Winamp as would be liked either due to their age or lack of interest. so it's generally best to avoid anything that replaces MP3 playback unless you know what you're doing and why you're doing it and that things will not be as complete as prior to not using the native in_mp3 for things (since it's also used in a number of MPEG related stream processing).
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2014, 00:36   #8
ChiggyChiggy

I forgot to reply back to this >.>

I never heard any difference tbh, funnily enough for normal mp3 playback (not streamed stuff) it always showed that "Nullsoft MPEG Audio decoder" being the one doing the decoding, i dont think i ever saw it say something else o.O

The default Winamp decoder is all i need, its reliable and as solid as a constipated Iron Man, what better could one ask for?

Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support

Tags
file info, shoutcast, streaming, view info