Old 19th July 2005, 15:12   #1
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to k_rock923
Programming Ideas

I've been reading a few programming books, working on learning C++. Sams Teach Yourself C++ in 24 hours and Accelerated C++, practical programming by example. The last thing I covered was classes and pointers.

The thing I don't like about the sams book is that it doesn't give you exercises to try out on your own to reinforce the conceopts. I was wondering if anyone here had any that would be possible with my level of knowledge.

Another thing that I'd like a programmer to answer, if possible, is what is the point of a class? The way I see it, when you get right down to it, you're still dealing with letters and numbers anyway so why not just use local variables?

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
k_rock923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2005, 15:51   #2
mikm
Major Dude

Classes are the blueprints for objects, which easily lets you manipulate data. For example, you could use a Map class to easily access data by using a certain key (like a dictionary).

In many cases, classes are portable - you can reuse them in almost any program.

If you haven't done much in C++ yet, I'd recommend trying some non object-oriented (OO) exercises to get a feel for the language before you start working with multiple classes and such.

Exercises that you could try might be
* Print out the fibbonaci sequence
* Run a simulation (with random and user-supplied factors), such as a simple gambling game.

For OO practice, you could try creating a Dictionary program.
Make a class that allows a program to add words and definitions and retrieve them. In your "main" class, write a simple test program (add a few definitions, look them up, try "breaking" the program)

powered by C₂H₅OH
mikm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2005, 16:35   #3
Jaak
Major Dude

Re: Programming Ideas

Quote:
Originally posted by k_rock923
Another thing that I'd like a programmer to answer, if possible, is what is the point of a class? The way I see it, when you get right down to it, you're still dealing with letters and numbers anyway so why not just use local variables?
Classes are to make programmers life simpler (and harder aswell ). It's perfectly possible to do oop with pure C, but it just requires lots of hacks (gobjects anyone?).
Real benefits of classes are where oop is (inheritance, polymorphism, hiding implementation etc.)

Phi = (1+sqrt(5))/2
Jaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2005, 03:20   #4
Joel
Debian user
(Forum King)

Easy life :)
code:

#include <iostream>

class NUM
{
public:
NUM(); // default constructor
NUM(int); // constructor with integer param
NUM(const NUM&); // constructor with class type as param
friend NUM operator+(const NUM&, const NUM&); //
friend NUM operator-(const NUM&, const NUM&);
NUM& operator++(int); // pre-increment
NUM operator++(); // post-increment
NUM& operator--(int);
NUM operator--();
operator int() const;
NUM& operator=(const NUM&);
friend std::ostream& operator<<(std::ostream&, const NUM&);
friend std::istream& operator>>(std::istream&, NUM&);
~NUM(); // default destructor
protected:
int num; // class variable
};

inline NUM::NUM() : num(0) {}
inline NUM::NUM(int n) : num(n) {}
inline NUM::NUM(const NUM& n) : num(n.num) {}
inline NUM operator+(const NUM& a, const NUM& b)
{
return a.num+b.num;
}
inline NUM operator-(const NUM& a, const NUM& b)
{
return a.num-b.num;
}
inline NUM& NUM::operator++(int)
{
++num; return *this;
}
inline NUM NUM::operator++()
{
NUM n = *this;
++num;
return n;
}
inline NUM& NUM::operator--(int)
{
--num; return *this;
}
inline NUM NUM::operator--()
{
NUM n = *this;
--num;
return n;
}
inline NUM& NUM::operator=(const NUM& a)
{
num = a.num;
return *this;
}
inline NUM::operator int() const
{
return num;
}
inline std::ostream& operator<<(std::ostream& o, const NUM& a)
{
o << a.num;
return o;
}
inline std::istream& operator>>(std::istream& i, NUM& a)
{
i >> a.num;
return i;
}
inline NUM::~NUM()
{
num = 0;
}
int main()
{
using namespace std;
NUM a,b,c;
b = 1;
c = 2;
cout << a << ", " << b << ", " << c << endl;
a = b+c;
cout << a << endl;
cout << "Give me another value for b: "; cin >> b;
a = b+c;
cout << a << endl;
system("pause"); // not portable
return 0;
}

* PC: Intel Core 2 DUO E6550 @ 2.33 GHz with 2 GB RAM: Archlinux-i686 with MATE.
* Laptop: Intel Core 2 DUO T6600 @ 2.20 GHz with 4 GB RAM: Archlinux-x86-64 with MATE.
Joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2005, 05:07   #5
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Since I've been learning about classes, I have a question. . .I've tried to separate my class definition into a header file and the member functions into it's own file. however, the member functions require iostream. so, when i write a simple program for trying out my class, iostream is included in the main program file, and it is also included in the file that holds the class member functions. is there a way around this? or is this just how it is done? or is it right? I'm a bit confused. I've attached my three files if what I wrote made no sense. . . class.C is the one with the main function
Attached Files
File Type: zip program.zip (900 Bytes, 178 views)

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
Old 20th July 2005, 07:52   #6
fwgx
Rudolf the Red.
(Forum King)

put this around youe header file

[code]
#idndef CAR
#define CAR

</stuf goes here>

#endif

then it'll only ever get included once

"We think science is interesting and if you disagree, you can fuck off."
fwgx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2005, 10:55   #7
Jaak
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by k_rock923
Since I've been learning about classes, I have a question. . .I've tried to separate my class definition into a header file and the member functions into it's own file. however, the member functions require iostream. so, when i write a simple program for trying out my class, iostream is included in the main program file, and it is also included in the file that holds the class member functions. is there a way around this? or is this just how it is done? or is it right? I'm a bit confused. I've attached my three files if what I wrote made no sense. . . class.C is the one with the main function
You don't need to include iostream in .h file, just include iostream in .cpp file before including your own header.

Also, its no biggy to include headers twise (as in once in .h and second time .cpp file), it will get included only once, unless the author of header is really stupid.

Phi = (1+sqrt(5))/2
Old 20th July 2005, 12:56   #8
Joel
Debian user
(Forum King)

some rules...
1. Do not include *.c or *.cpp -_-
2. You include inline functions in the same header where is the class. That will help you with less files to handle.
3. Need to work more with constructor and destructor.
4. using namespace std can help you in same way ;)
5. Almost forgot... since you are using C++ and not C, try using *.cpp files :p
code:

// header file cat.h
class Cat
{
private:
int itsage;
std::string itsname;
public:
void setage(int age);
int getage();
void meow();
void setname(std::string name);
std::string getname();
Cat(); // <-- Default constructor!!!!
Cat(std::string name);
~Cat();
};

// My default constructor
inline Cat::Cat()
{
itsage = 0;
itsname = "";
}

// constructor with a param
Cat::Cat(std::string name)
{
itsname = name;
}

//setage sets the cat's age
inline void Cat::setage(int age)
{
itsage = age;
}

//returns the cat's age
inline int Cat::getage()
{
return itsage;
}

//meow has the cat meow
inline void Cat::meow()
{
std::cout << "Meow\n";
}

//setname sets the cat's name
inline void Cat::setname(std::string name)
{
itsname = name;
}

//getname returns the cat's name
inline std::string Cat::getname()
{
return itsname;
}

//destructor, we should clean all the stuff of the class
inline Cat::~Cat()
{
itsage = 0;
itsname.clear();
}

main.cpp
code:

// main.cpp
#include <iostream>
#include <string>
#include "cat.h"

int main()
{
using namespace std;
cout << "What is the cat's name? ";
string name;
cin >> name;
Cat buck(name);
cout << "How old is " << buck.getname() << "? ";
int catage;
cin >> catage;
buck.setage(catage);
buck.meow();
cout << buck.getname() << " is " << buck.getage() << " year(s) old.\n";
buck.meow();
system("pause"); // this is not portable in most C++ compilers
return 0;
}

* PC: Intel Core 2 DUO E6550 @ 2.33 GHz with 2 GB RAM: Archlinux-i686 with MATE.
* Laptop: Intel Core 2 DUO T6600 @ 2.20 GHz with 4 GB RAM: Archlinux-x86-64 with MATE.
Joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2005, 16:42   #9
fwgx
Rudolf the Red.
(Forum King)

inlining everything is a bad idea!

When you inline the compiler doesn't make a functin call because it just places the code of that function wherever you have the function!

Don't do it unless you know why you need to do it.

Old 20th July 2005, 16:44   #10
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Thank you very much everyone. Can someone explain though why you would make a function inline?

Old 20th July 2005, 17:18   #11
fwgx
Rudolf the Red.
(Forum King)

In cases of performance bottlenecks. Really, you don't have to worry about it unless you have to, and by have to I mean can prove that it's the problem and actually have a problem with performace.

Old 20th July 2005, 19:21   #12
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

*sigh*. I spent all morning trying to come up with a way to validate a users input and it wasn't working all morning and it turns out the missing piece was resetting the input stream. damnit. I have a question though. One of the things i tried was having a member function of the cat class throw an exception. is it bad to have member functions throw exceptions. I ask because, well not in this simple case, but in a more complex one, i might forget that it throws the exception and not catch it anywhere.

Old 21st July 2005, 07:23   #13
fwgx
Rudolf the Red.
(Forum King)

If you throw an exception I don't think you actually HAVE to catch it. so no it's not that bad. However if you have allocated memory on the heap using new() then you must remember to delete it, otherwise you have a memory leak.

Old 21st July 2005, 12:34   #14
zootm
Forum King

I just wanted to pipe in to say that C++ is a terrible language.

zootm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2005, 14:09   #15
Jaak
Major Dude

got something better yet same fast in mind?

Phi = (1+sqrt(5))/2
Old 21st July 2005, 15:39   #16
xzxzzx
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by zootm
I just wanted to pipe in to say that C++ is a terrible language.
It's not a terrible language. It's just a very, very, very, very hard one to learn, use, or design in (correctly). Once you've got it down, though...

Freedom of speech is the basic freedom of humanity. When you've lost that, you've lost everything.
1\/\/4y 34|<$p4y 1gp4y 33714y, 0d4y 0uy4y? | Roses are #FF0000; Violets are #0000FF; chown -R ${YOU} ~/base
The DMCA. It really is that bad. : Count for your life.
xzxzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2005, 17:18   #17
fwgx
Rudolf the Red.
(Forum King)

less than 3 http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/index.html

I can't really complain about it, I do make my living from it. Plus I do happen to like it.

Old 22nd July 2005, 09:34   #18
zootm
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by xzxzzx
It's not a terrible language. It's just a very, very, very, very hard one to learn, use, or design in (correctly). Once you've got it down, though...
Hahahahaha, surely that makes it a terrible language?

I dislike it, its design has been superceded and its type system is quite shocking (as with C). It's useful-ish for system programming (although C is probably better), and other languages do the OO paradigm better. I'd be very skeptical of any choice to start a new project in C++, it's theoretically useful for some things but in many (most?) applications it's just not a good choice.

Old 22nd July 2005, 14:44   #19
xzxzzx
Forum King

Quote:
Hahahahaha, surely that makes it a terrible language?
That was kind of the point, though I probably should've included a <0.5 wink> to make it clear.

Quote:
I dislike it, its design has been superceded and its type system is quite shocking (as with C). It's useful-ish for system programming (although C is probably better), and other languages do the OO paradigm better. I'd be very skeptical of any choice to start a new project in C++, it's theoretically useful for some things but in many (most?) applications it's just not a good choice.
I actually don't think C++ is a terrible language, it's just a low level one. The thing about C++ is that it's really more like a "build-your-own" programming language than it is a language in and of itself. I can't imagine game coding without C++, but at the same time, I can't imagine building a game soley in C++, either.

C++ is as fast as, and often faster than, C, not because the language is inherantly faster, but because it's easier to make a fast design in C++.

At this point in computational history (as it has yet to be written), it's an advantage to realize that languages do have significantly different levels of "power". If I had the time, I'd be learning Lisp right now (you should see an experianced Lisp hacker in action), but I'm settling for Python because it has a significantly lower learning curve from most other langauges, and there are a lot of similarities between Lisp and Python.

Freedom of speech is the basic freedom of humanity. When you've lost that, you've lost everything.
1\/\/4y 34|<$p4y 1gp4y 33714y, 0d4y 0uy4y? | Roses are #FF0000; Violets are #0000FF; chown -R ${YOU} ~/base
The DMCA. It really is that bad. : Count for your life.
xzxzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2005, 17:04   #20
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

zootm, stop making me feel like I'm wasting my time learning C++

Old 22nd July 2005, 17:16   #21
zootm
Forum King

Maybe you are . Nah, you'll probably learn a lot. Just be careful -- C++ makes it incredibly easy to be hackish and do things in "bad" ways.

Quote:
Originally posted by xzxzzx
At this point in computational history (as it has yet to be written), it's an advantage to realize that languages do have significantly different levels of "power". If I had the time, I'd be learning Lisp right now (you should see an experianced Lisp hacker in action), but I'm settling for Python because it has a significantly lower learning curve from most other langauges, and there are a lot of similarities between Lisp and Python.
Lisp is almost-functional, is it not? There's a lot of similarities between Python and many other languages simply because it's multi-paradigm. I personally love it, but the indented codeblocks aren't for everyone!

Now, C++ is fast, we know this. But C is faster (RAD is not the same as execution speed, and lumping both into "fast" is not really an option). Most places where people use C++ right now, speed is not important. Desktop applications in general are a good example. Games, yes. I can see it there. I'd still prefer having a C/C++ backend with a higher-level language on top though. Less to test. I'm sure I read that the new Civilisation (or something similar) game will be scriptable through Python, which would be amazing (not really a very good example of a game which requires blistering speed, but still).

Using C/C++ where not warranted can bring you memory leaks, security problems, buffer overruns... all of these fun, difficult-to-detect and predict, things and more. In more modern languages, although you lose "low level control", you'll develop quicker and it's not even possible to make many of the common mistakes in C and C++. "Coding standards", even assuming you follow them (which you won't, completely), can only help so far.

Old 22nd July 2005, 17:46   #22
mikm
Major Dude

How not to program in C/C++