Old 21st January 2010, 19:41   #1
ZiggiZag

Winamp technical support sucs !!!

Ok,

Downloaded this brand new update and tried to install that masterpiece...

Holy crap - back to the old days - again Sonic runtime is failing with error code -1. Trying old solution: uninstall Winamp, reboot, install again. Bloody Sonic failing again (why the hell every few updates this fu..ing Sonic runtime is failing ???).

OK - decided I can probably live with no stupid Sonic runtime. I may use Advanced Audio Copy to rip and Nero to burn. But.. again I forgot the next Winamp "great feature":

while uninstalling, all preferences and plugin.ini entries go to hell

So I lost my entire media library, all bookmarks and - last not least carefully designed AMIP (Advance MIRC Integration Plugin) settings with regex rules I mastered for hours once upon a time!!!

I am nearly ready to move to Foobar or whatever other player unless Winamp engineers stop this shit-worth way of thinking: "flood after us".

Despite Sonic issue is repeating since the early days of Winamp 5 - guess - what can you find in this forum about the issue? How many clever technical support answers? Did you guess well? NULL !!! FU..ING NULL. !!! Only one actually: "try to live without Sonic, dude!"

How many times it was discussed not to override user settings? And what - noting changed. No simple bloody question: "do you like to keep your settings?" Nope - all goes to hell with routine uninstall as fu..ing Winamp enineers cannot even imagine technical re-install of their masterpiece may ever be necessary! They seem to be so fu..ing happy with their self-esteem that they never answer technical questions. Or their even more fu..ing marketing managers forbide them to answer - who knows?

I am really fed-up. Stupid, pointless updated every three weeks, failing to install properly. Hey - stop this nasty habit and deliver quality product and ask end user what he/she actually needs rather than pushing crap on the table!
ZiggiZag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2010, 12:59   #2
tkosh65

Sad but trrue

I agree they are totally ignoring video issues posted about in 5.57X. I gave up on Sonic, I don't even install it. I am stuck with 5.56 until I find a replacement for Winamp.

I wish I had never went pro a couple months back was like flushing money down a toilet.
tkosh65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2010, 18:17   #3
Menschenfleisch

Send a message via ICQ to Menschenfleisch
I agree with you with the thing, that preferences/library etc.. data is removed without asking or warning.

Also winamp should be more error tolerant.
It seems to crash when just a very little thing is not correct.
Menschenfleisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2010, 12:30   #4
dj_ed12

Same issue with me. I just installed the new build and it has wiped my media library history. Doesn't even run unless you rename the plugins folder, after which it crashes anyway!

I have used winamp a lot but I think it's time for a change.
dj_ed12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2010, 14:11   #5
homes32

Quote:
while uninstalling, all preferences and plugin.ini entries go to hell
well what do you expect? your UNINSTALLING , the whole point of an uninstaller is to remove the program and all its files, etc from your computer. Did it ever occur to you that perhaps you should backup your settings and media library before uninstalling instead of assuming Winamp has yet another sloppy uninstaller that doesn't properly clean up after itself?

having said that, a simple yes/no dialog or a checkbox in the uninstaller asking the user if they want to keep the media library/preferences would be an easy solution to this problem and would be easy for the devs to implement.

homes32
homes32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2010, 14:35   #6
ujay
Forum King

This should have been done ages ago.

Unfortunately there is so much pressure on the devs to implement new selling points that they probably have little time to bring older features up to modern day standards.

Very shortsighted if you ask me, considering the amount of distress it causes.

Same applies to the Sonic engine, the only thing it brings to the table is burning support for audio CDs, and I question the value of this nowadays anyway. If Winamp could produce data CDs there might be a point in keeping it.

UJ
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2010, 16:35   #7
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Ok. Calm down.

I've removed plugin.ini, winamp.bm & winamp.m3u8 from the uninstaller.

Let's now see if there's any complaints after the next release about the Winamp Uninstaller not removing all files....

But yes, you're right, ideally, there should be an option in the uninstaller to "keep settings" or "remove everything".

Maybe I'll change it to popup an "Also remove all settings?" dialog -> Yes | No

Everything we know about the Sonic installation error is covered here (from the FAQ):

Winamp Installer: There was a problem installing components. CD Ripping/Burning may not function properly.. '-1'
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....61#post2609061
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....13#post2614213 (continued)
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=315516

ps. I disagree. Winamp Tech Support doesn't suck :-p
DJ Egg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2010, 18:56   #8
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
i think winamp rocks, so let me say that first...

also, DJ Egg, i absolutely think there should be a "keep settings/prefs" or "remove every last bit" dialog. i for one would not want stuff left behind as you now seem to have changed it to do.

having said that, i think one thing that would really help is a builtin core plugin, whose only job is to make backups (or restore them) of everything in a separate directory.

these backups should be automatic, but one should be able to opt out if they choose. prefs, ML, ini, plugin info, etc... all data should be automatically backed up. this would eliminate at least half if not all of the really angry posts about winamp.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2010, 19:15   #9
ujay
Forum King

I've been looking at this recently, so maybe the notes I've made will be helpful.

Files created by Winamp from a clean install.
=============================================

There's too much variation/information to give a full guide, so this is a kind of outline to what files get installed, and which ones are removed by the uninstaller.

------------------------------------------------------------

From the Installer package.
===========================

The main Winamp installation folder and associated files.

Individual user files are created in %appdata%/Winamp

Other files may be created depending on components installed e.g.

Folder - Plugins
Folder - ml
empty
milk2_img.ini
milk2_msg.ini

-------------------------------------------------------------

Files created by Winamp.exe on first run
========================================

winamp.ini - recreated in on-going form
winamp.m3u - ASCII form of winamp.m3u8
winamp.q1 - Default Equaliser presets

Other files may be created depending on components installed
e.g. studio.xnf is created if you use a modern skin.
Media Library configs, databases, index etc. are created if ML is installed.

Files created by Winamp.exe in use
==================================

Files created after a component is used for the first time.
e.g. winamp.bm is created after you have added your first bookmark

NB. Some config files are only created/updated following a clean Winamp shut down.

Files added by the user.
========================

1) Files that directly replace files already created above.
e.g. an older version of in_wm.dll that address features not found in the latest release.
Special development builds that replace current plugins, libs, etc.

2) Files that are additional to those installed above.
These can originate from Nullsoft or 3rd parties
e.g. 'OneforNunz', xspf.w5s, 3rd party skins & plugins etc.

----------------------------------------------------------

The Uninstaller will take out :

All individual user settings from whatever source(the complete %appdata%/Winamp folder)

plus all files in the main Winamp folder except those that have originated from the 'Files added by user' section (2) above.

UJ

PS. I've only really looked at XP, things may vary with win7. e.g. elevator and elevatorps are left in place.
Old 27th January 2010, 00:59   #10
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Ok... I'll change it so that it pops up a Message Box asking if you also want to delete all settings.
Click Yes to delete EVERYTHING, click No to just delete program files.
For silent uninstalls, the default will be Yes.

Maybe Maksim will come up with something cleverer later, but it'll do for now...

@ujay
I think elevator.exe and elevatorps.dll are removed after a reboot.
Old 27th January 2010, 06:05   #11
joedev

Straying a bit from the preference settings issue, I would like to elaborate on the "totally ignoring video issues" comment from earlier in the thread.

The most severe video regression that I notice in 5.57x is the really bad screen tearing. This problem has yet to get any real followup (DJ Egg) and so I am finding myself posting to this "support sucks" thread. The ATI/nvidia video overlay settings also no longer affect the video window but this seems much less severe than the screen tearing. I cannot believe that tkosh65 and I are the only two users who noticed this after upgrading from 5.56. My first impression after upgrading was me wondering why my videos now look so bad. The screen tearing happens regardless of video type (input plug-in and codec doesn't matter). If you search the forum for "screen tearing" you will find a couple recent threads were there is more detail about the problem. One such thread is titled "Video still renders better in 5.56".

For someone who mostly uses Winamp for playing video, I cannot imagine using a video player that has something so fundamentally wrong with it as the screen tearing. I have never seen screen tearing in any other applications that use video overlay. The problem is even more painfully obvious if you play a video file in one player and then play the same file in Winamp 5.57x for comparison. The new h264 decoder plug-ins are certainly a step in the right direction but I care more about video quality. I can always install ffdshow to play back h264 video.

And so, I am also stuck on 5.56 for the time being. Video overlay in 5.56 works as expected.
joedev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2010, 14:02   #12
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

We're aware of the problem.
I can't really provide tech support for bugs/issues which can only be addressed via a newer Winamp release.

I personally couldn't reproduce it, but someone else on the team with a different system configuration could.

The video support in 5.57x is new (D3D Renderer, Fullscreen OSD & native video/audio codecs).
We obviously couldn't test it on every system in existence.
The main thing is that a problem has been identified, we're now aware of it, and we can fix/optimize it for a future release.

The new video support can only improve in time.
No-one can be expected to get it perfectly right on the first attempt.
Where native video support is concerned, the likes of ffdshow, vlc, mpc, etc have got a good ~10 years head start on us.
Old 27th January 2010, 17:49   #13
Menschenfleisch

So the new winamp doesnt use my system codecs anymore? like ffdshow, ac3filter, haali matroska splitter ?
Maybe a possibility to change video renderer in options?
Because then we can wait until it is good enough for us / we can prefer a renderer

What I prefer I dont know, because I have to find out my 5.57 crash problem first^^
Old 27th January 2010, 19:30   #14
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

You can always switch back to DirectShow based playback like it was before.

Simply uninstall 'Nullsoft Matroska Demuxer' and Nullsoft Avi Demuxer' or delete in_mkv.dll and in_avi.dll.

Make sure, that ;MKV and ;AVI is present in the extension list in Nullsoft DirectShow Decoder config. Then all DirectShow filters like ffdshow, Matroska splitter etc are used like in Winamp 5.56.
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2010, 16:00   #15
ujay
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
Ok... I'll change it so that it pops up a Message Box asking if you also want to delete all settings.
Click Yes to delete EVERYTHING, click No to just delete program files.
For silent uninstalls, the default will be Yes.

Thanks Egg, looks to be working a treat.

Old hands will know that you can achieve the same functionallity by reinstalling 'over the top', but this will be a boon to those users who have it in their heads that you should always uninstall the previous version first to be on the safe side.

It occurs to me that this also offers a simple method of creating a restore point(albeit unmanaged) and may go some way towards satisfying those people who are asking for some sort of automatic backup.

UJ
Old 30th January 2010, 09:26   #16
rockouthippie
Banned

Crash problems with Winamp have been cured several times over the years by uninstalling Winamp and then deleting the install folder in Program Files. Then a re-install.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2010, 09:28   #17
Menschenfleisch

if you mean me

Yes it works with clean install, but dont want to kill my settings and plugins - so I have to find out which plugin does disturb 5.57
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion