Old 9th December 2006, 05:39   #1
Veej007

newbie questions and suggestions

hi abu,

thanks for your help in the other thread with configuring my goofy ml_ipod installation. i've used it for a bit and configured the bejesus out of it, and i already have a few questions and ideas.

* any chance you'll swipe the "limit to XXX (gb/songs/minutes)" option as implemented in itunes and pmp_ipod? it's pretty important for use with the shuffle/nano/mini, and for anybody who uses lossless audio formats. i can see it showing up in the smartlist query window, but this appears to be for tracks that are already on the ipod; for those who have the smaller models, it would be nice to have that limit on the other side of the sync.
* what happened to the "do not lock media library" option that was in place a while back?
* is there a way to windowshade or minimize the "transferring" dialog? as far as i can tell i have to either stop the transfer or leave it up (and on top, no less, since i usually have that option enabled in winamp)

great work. this beats the pants off itunes.

Last edited by Veej007; 9th December 2006 at 06:35.
Veej007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2006, 06:21   #2
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Re: newbie questions and suggestions

Quote:
Originally posted by Veej007
thanks for your help in the other thread with configuring my goofy ml_ipod installation.
I would love to know what the problem was... This is so strange.

Quote:
any chance you'll swipe the "limit to XXX (gb/songs/minutes)" option as implemented in itunes and pmp_ipod?
When should that limit? There is the option for autofill, but what exactly do you want (I don't use the other tools, so I need more explanation)
Quote:
what happened to the "do not lock media library" option that was in place a while back?
It never worked, the code was dead, so I removed the option from the GUI.
Quote:
is there a way to windowshade or minimize the "transferring" dialog? as far as i can tell i have to either stop the transfer or leave it up (and on top, no less, since i usually have that option enabled in winamp)
No, but that's a good idea.
Quote:
is there a way to get it to prioritize the smart playlists and playlists over the general library sync?
Could you explain that a bit more?

WinAmp Pro 5.5 with ml_iPod 3.10 + dev.patches (download it)
ml_iPod documentation Wiki - ml_iPod FAQ - search ml_iPod forum - iPhone/iTouch - Found a bug?
Donations to support the ml_iPod project can be done HERE
abu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2006, 06:43   #3
Veej007

Re: Re: newbie questions and suggestions

Quote:
I would love to know what the problem was... This is so strange.
yeah, it was weird. if you can think of any other way to test it, i'm game. just let me know.

Quote:
When should that limit? There is the option for autofill, but what exactly do you want (I don't use the other tools, so I need more explanation)
ie:
- sync 50 songs from "1960's jazz" smart view
- sync 100 megabytes from "recently played" smart view
- sync one hour of "rated four or five" smart view

right now it only lets you sync the entire smart view, and there is no way to restrict it to a smaller, more "listenable" amount (thereby leaving more room for other playlists/smartlists). it's essentially per-smartview autofill.

last time i asked about implementing this in the media library, the developers said they weren't interested. i guess the smart views are seen as "media sorting" rather than "playlisting."

of course, it becomes a bigger problem once you start trying to use a small portable player with a large library.

Quote:
Could you explain that a bit more?
i figured it out, actually... turns out my installation had taken a crap and lost the configuration options i had entered a half hour earlier, so it was trying to sync my whole library. problem solved.
Old 9th December 2006, 19:51   #4
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Is that existing feature request what you want: http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index...28&atid=644707

You can comment on this, or add more info to the tracker. New feature request should be made there, so they won't get lost (as might happen here in the forum)

About the config: It only saves it to disk when you hit the eject button! If you simply remove the iPod, or Winamp crashes, then it is not saved.

ml_iPod documentation Wiki - ml_iPod FAQ - search ml_iPod forum - iPhone/iTouch - Found a bug?
Old 10th December 2006, 02:05   #5
Veej007

Quote:
Is that existing feature request what you want: http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index...28&atid=644707
yes, it would accomplish roughly the same thing provided that a) you could do multiple autofills and b) the source could be a playlist (as requested) or a smart view.

Quote:
About the config: It only saves it to disk when you hit the eject button! If you simply remove the iPod, or Winamp crashes, then it is not saved.
eject seems to crash winamp rather reliably (i've had this problem since 1.30) and upon restart the config is invariably gone.

oddly enough, just abruptly unplugging seems to solve the problem for me -- no crash, no loss of config.
Old 10th December 2006, 06:01   #6
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

I was wrong here. Looked at the code again: The config is saved to the ini files when you close the prefs window, not on eject.
Anyway, it shouldn't crash on eject. Please try gain with the latest versions.

Old 10th December 2006, 09:23   #7
Veej007

i'm using 2.00p19 and it crashes pretty reliably. wipes the database on the ipod, too, so it's quite a pain in the ass... no music on the pod, and you have to redo the config before you can put anything on there.

no hassle for me though, i just unplug it and it all seems to work fine.
Old 11th December 2006, 16:15   #8
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Re: Re: newbie questions and suggestions

Quote:
Originally posted by abu
is there a way to windowshade or minimize the "transferring" dialog? as far as i can tell i have to either stop the transfer or leave it up (and on top, no less, since i usually have that option enabled in winamp)
No, but that's a good idea.
Well, I looked into that a bit more. With the code as it is, it makes no sense. If you minimize the transfer dialog, the ML is still "dead", you can do nothing in it as long as the transfer takes place.
If you close the ML window, the whole process gets aborted. Well, that is not intended, but that's the current state.

So, as long as the ML is locked during transfer, it makes no sense to hide the transfer window. If you simply want to hide whole Winamp, you can minimize Winamp main window, that hides the transfer dialog, too (without breaking anything)

Sorry, but that's how it is.

Old 11th December 2006, 16:16   #9
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Quote:
Originally posted by Veej007
i'm using 2.00p19 and it crashes pretty reliably.
Could you send the debuglogs directly after such a crash, please? maybe that helps... And upgrade to 2.00p20 first, I added some more debug output during eject.

It never crashes here during eject...

Last edited by abu; 11th December 2006 at 20:18.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp iPod Plugin Discussion