Old 27th April 2010, 22:13   #1
Cody900

DirectSound dropping out when muted

Ok, so, this problem has been plaguing me for quite a long time with Winamp.

I'm using a Creative X-Fi Titanium and a Creative USB Headset both with drivers, latest DirectX from the web installer, Win 7 64-bit.

If I leave Winamp volume at 0 for about 30 minutes or more, when I try to turn the volume back up, it's still muted, there's no output. Restarting my computer doesn't even fix it, the only way to get sound back in Winamp is to change the output to wav_out, load a song, and then switch back to DirectSound.

Have had this probem pretty much since getting these Creative products, not sure exactly where the problem lies though. I did have this fixed before, but after reformats, it's back again. So I know it can be fixed.

Also another weird problem that's just started happening, YouTube video will randomly start outputting to a different sound device when I load a video, my headset is set as the default, and it's the one currently used in my Creative control panel.
Cody900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2010, 01:48   #2
Cody900

Bump.
Old 2nd May 2010, 14:37   #3
Cody900

Bump.
Old 4th May 2010, 20:34   #4
JonnyMac

Try the DirectSound config tweaks. Although not necessary close Winamp, Windows and reboot the computer after making the DS tweaks. Some have found changes don't take place until a reboot.

No luck? Please provide additional system & Winamp specs. A 'List of Plugins' is what we will be looking for.

Please do not PM me for tech support. Any request for tech support through PM will be ignored.
Read the Stickies
---> | | | | <--- Knowledge is power
JonnyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2010, 10:36   #5
Cody900

None of those threads solved it unfortunately, as like I said, I have no problems with it when the volume is at 1 or greater.

Attached the plugin list, and as for comp specs:

i7 965
EVGA x58 SLI
GTX 285x2
Creative Fatal1ty (USB) headset
Win 7 64-bit
DX version 6.01.7600.16385
Winamp version 5.57 build 2830
It's called Winamp Standard on the main page, so I'd guess it's Winamp Full?
Attached Files
File Type: txt my_plugin_list.txt (7.7 KB, 144 views)

Last edited by Cody900; 5th May 2010 at 11:31.
Old 5th May 2010, 21:15   #6
JonnyMac

Winamp Standard is also known as Winamp Full.

I don't seen anything that may be causing the issue. Creative's sound card drivers have had a dubious reputation of being rather faulty. So, if it started happening after installing at the time of getting their sound card, that could be the culprit.

Have you tried Windows Mixer (speaker icon in tray area) when this occurs?
Old 5th May 2010, 23:09   #7
Cody900

What do you mean have I tried it? When the sound drops out the Winamp slider in the mixer is set to 0%, regardless of what I set Winamp volume to, but turning it up doesn't produce any sound. I still have to change the output to something else, then change it back to directsound.

And naw, same thing happens with/without the Creative drivers for it. Have tried the current drivers for Vista, and the WIn 7 beta drivers, same thing on both.
Old 5th May 2010, 23:32   #8
JonnyMac

I don't have Vista or Win7, so I could not test/check the Winamp slider in the mixer

However, it took me awhile but I am recognizing the issue and may (hopefully) have a fix...

1. Winamp > Ctrl+P (for preferences)
2. Plug-ins > Output
3. double click Nullsoft DirectSound Output
4. Other tab
5. in the 'Volume control' drop-down box select 'Linear' -- something else other than 'Linear' is the usual "culprit" in the issue you are describing
6. check-mark (or uncheck) 'Smooth volume changes'
7. Apply button > OK button > close out of Prefs
Old 6th May 2010, 00:35   #9
Cody900

Linear is the default and it's always been on Linear. Smooth volume changes was ticked as it's default, have unticked it now. Going to bed now so I'll find outi n the morning if it did anything, don't have my hopes up though lol.
Old 6th May 2010, 00:51   #10
JonnyMac

Well, if that is not it I don't know what else to tell you. Anyone else??

Good Luck in the morning.
Old 6th May 2010, 12:24   #11
Cody900

Well, it didn't work. >:
Old 7th May 2010, 16:19   #12
JonnyMac

If there is something going on with your system, maybe a Hijack This log will help us to see what may be causing it.
Old 8th May 2010, 00:48   #13
Cody900

Nah, it's clean. The problem came back after reformatting, pure clean Windows install.

The problem is in WIndows itself though, not just Winamp. Winamp is just one of the main things it affects. YouTube also randomly changes my sound output to a different device for no reason at all.

Since it happens with and without the Creative drivers, I'm kinda ruling them out to be the cause of it, I don't really know any other forum to ask about sound-related issues though.
Old 8th May 2010, 01:06   #14
JonnyMac

A couple good forums for general or system tech support are Suggest A Fix and Tech Support Guy. Although they are not affiliated with or endorsed by Nullsoft/Winamp, they have been commonly suggested here at Winamp Forums. Both of them have a multimedia section.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support