Old 25th August 2009, 09:57   #1
TheSaw

Send a message via Yahoo to TheSaw
URL submitted by user

Hy, I've read the reasoning behind this anti-spam filter thingy, which replaces the URLs with a static text, but I also noticed this solution on these forums is almost 10 years old. Don't you think you could figure out something less drastic? I mean there are thousands of forums more populated than this one, and they all can prevent unwanted automated replies. For automated scripts there are captchas, for "manual" spam, there are moderators, who's duty, as the name suggests, is to moderate the posts, and keep the forum clean and organized.

Thx.
Old 28th August 2009, 07:31   #2
Paul_Bags
Major Dude

Sadly The Powers That Be don't care enough to implement any of that. Which is a shame for the mods, who have enough crap to deal with as it is.
Old 28th August 2009, 07:36   #3
DrO

and i'll add that it was only implemented in 2007 (from what i remember) but applies to all urls that fall under the specified conditions. money and a lack of interest are what means myself and other moderators have to waste our time (just spent 10mins clearing out by hand ~35 spam posts *shrugs*) but it's been like it for so long now it just seems the norm... and we've talked about alternative options, etc but money+time+interest all play a factor again in that.

-daz
Old 28th August 2009, 08:50   #4
TheSaw

Send a message via Yahoo to TheSaw
meh... Well, yeah, it's a shame

Winamp integration plug-in with Windows 7

If you like this plug-in, why not buy me a coffee to keep me awake to work more on it?

Old 14th December 2009, 22:48   #5
FaeGiN

So how are we supposed to offer advice or help to others with relevant link(s) if they cannot see any links we post??!!
This is ridiculous!

Fae
Old 15th December 2009, 01:10   #6
Paul_Bags
Major Dude

You can see the links on the 'quote' or 'post a reply' pages. This discourages spam and stops spam links showing up in google, which is a Good Thingâ„¢.
Old 15th December 2009, 02:48   #7
JonnyMac

The URL submitted by user thing applies to new members, but is not meant to be anything against ligament members. There is a point where the URL will show up in your posts. However I can't remember what that is and even if I did, it would not prudent to be mentioned.

Other then what PB mentioned, when moderators or "older" members come across a post with a "URL submitted by user", they will post a reply with the actual URL so everyone can see.

Please do not PM me for tech support. Any request for tech support through PM will be ignored.
Read the Stickies
---> | | | | <--- Knowledge is power
Old 15th December 2009, 11:00   #8
FaeGiN

Aaah OK.
thanks for replying both. It was just that I came looking for an old plugin called Audiostocker and discovered that it can be hard for people to find so I posted the url where I found it.
If I post the link to the thread here would someone go to it and quote it in a reply so the URL can be seen by anyone who might want it?
Cheers

Fae
Old 15th December 2009, 15:17   #9
CraigF
Passionately Apathetic
Administrator

sure.

Old 15th December 2009, 20:37   #10
WavestreamingCo

Quote:
Originally posted by JonnyMac
The URL submitted by user thing applies to new members, but is not meant to be anything against ligament members. There is a point where the URL will show up in your posts. However I can't remember what that is and even if I did, it would not prudent to be mentioned.

Other then what PB mentioned, when moderators or "older" members come across a post with a "URL submitted by user", they will post a reply with the actual URL so everyone can see.
Good to know for people who weren't aware

James
Old 15th December 2009, 20:42   #11
Camo Yoshi

Quote:
Originally posted by WavestreamingCo
Good to know for people who weren't aware

James
Yes, thanks a bunch, I had no clue what was going on.
Old 15th December 2009, 22:26   #12
FaeGiN

I never realised that either so it's handy to know. Now I want to try to remember all the posts I have read in the past and wished I could see the URLs...hehe my memory isn't so good!

Fae
Old 16th December 2009, 01:43   #13
JonnyMac

My reply may have had more meaning if I spelled legitimate correctly. How in the world would a ligament be related to posting URLs?
Old 23rd December 2009, 14:51   #14
CraigF
Passionately Apathetic
Administrator

Well, I can explain how it works, its basically as follows:

1) When a user categorized as "Junior Member" posts to the forums, and their post contains a URL. The URL displayed is altered to URL Submitted by user, when their post is viewed by anyone who isn't an Administrator or a Moderator.
2) Junior Member to Member threshold is 50 posts I believe.

So, to summarize the effect this has:

1) Most users cannot see URL's posted to the forums by new members. The obvious effect being that spamming hyperlinks is pointless, and as the majority of urls spammed point directly at graphical adult content, its better that people not be directed there by posts on the winamp forums.
2) Moderators/Administrators can exercise judgement on a response for each post, usually by quoting the post.
3) If you're an active contributor to the forums, you'll soon no longer be a Junior Member, and restrictions wont apply on your posts, also note that this is retroactive, you wont need to go back over your old posts.

Old 18th May 2010, 13:56   #15
FaeGiN

Hmm so all I have to do is get to 50 posts? Hmm well here's one

Fae
Old 18th May 2010, 14:35   #16
DrO

this restriction is no longer present after the forum upgrade last month.
locking thread as it's now not relevant.

-daz
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Site Design