Old 6th January 2009, 14:22   #1
Bizzeh
Forum Pirate
Beta Team

New Vista Audio Output

WASAPI is a new audio output method introduced in Windows Vista; among other things, it provides an exclusive mode that allows applications to take full control over soundcard's resources (muting any sounds played by other applications) and play unaltered bitstream without passing it through the Windows mixer.

Differences between WASAPI and ASIO / Kernel Streaming:
Requires Windows Vista - not available on Windows XP or older.
Works with more soundcards - contrary to e.g. ASIO, it doesn't require any special support from soundcard's manufacturer, other than providing a Windows Vista compatible driver.
Guarantees muting of any other sounds played through the soundcard - with ASIO and KS, muting occurred with some soundcards but not with all of them; it was a side effect rather than a feature.

This plugin is still very experimental, and REQUIRES you to configure it in order to make sure you have selected the correct output method (what it sees as the default, isnt always the default).

Download Out_MMdev here simply extract it and drop it into your winamp plugins folder.
Bizzeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2009, 19:57   #2
Nick63

I have been looking for wasapi output for Winamp, so thanks for the work. When I add the file to plugins and choose it I can play music, but if I hit configure to set it up as you suggest Winamp crashes. I don't know what settings there are in the config, but it plays without doing the config. What is in the config section? I will keep checking for any updates you make in case the problem is with your file and not my system.
Nick63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2009, 21:57   #3
DrO

at least you can get it to play. refuses to do anything here with a 'unsupported audio format for device' messagebox and moves onto the next track to do the same. running vista x64, a realtek alc1200 (asus p5q onboard) and a clean winamp setup (current internal beta install).

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2009, 18:35   #4
SilverBird775

Catch the same 'unsupported audio format for device' message too.

It seems this plugin using exclusive control over sound device, good thing to get the bit perfect copy indeed.

If so, go to the Vista's speaker taskbar icon, select Playback device, then "Speaker Properties", "Advanced" tab and make sure the following checkboxes are set:
[X]Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device
<my notes: it's the XP-like behaviour when you really blocking all the compete applications>
[X]Give exclusive mode applications priority
<my notes: This checkbox gives some priority boost for the treads taking the control over the sound device exlusively>

Also it is not guranteed for this 32 bit plugin to work with 64 bit Vista editions. You may need 64 bit Winamp version to make the things to work or some luck may be. Microsoft adressed the issue to Vista SP1 but i cant confirm this nor deny.
SilverBird775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2009, 15:40   #5
Bizzeh
Forum Pirate
Beta Team

i have found that people with multiple soundcards (including myself) or HDMI graphics cards (including myself) get this problem, as the HDMI output sets its self as the default output. so when im passing the required output values to the soundcard, it wont do anything other than full quality hdmi audio.

this is why you need to select the soundcard in the config of this plugin, which apears to not be working.

i recently passed the source of this plugin to DrO as he can do testing on a machine where this doesnt work properly.

also, this plugin works perfectly in 64bit vista using 32bit winamp. as this is the system i am running.
Old 29th January 2009, 16:17   #6
Bizzeh
Forum Pirate
Beta Team

ok, several problems fixed, and pause has been implemented.

fixed what i think was the problem with the config. and also found what was causing the unsupported audio format.

it is because you need to do something similar to what SilverBird775 said.

go to the Vista's speaker taskbar icon, select Playback device, then "Speaker Properties", "Advanced" tab and make sure the default format is set to 16bit (or 24bit if you have that switched on in winamp) and 44100mhz, not 48000mhz...

i am looking at a way around this (which most likly involves up-sampling the audio coming from winamp, which negates the entire point of wasapi which is supposed to recieve a bit perfect stream )

try the link in the first post again, the zip has been updated.

also. SilverBird775. this plugin does use shared mode. i wanted to get some feedback and testing done on this before i implemented anything else.
Old 29th January 2009, 18:59   #7
SilverBird775

Bizzeh
Two similar projects started, just the wasapi fair day! Cheers! Welcome onboard!

Thank you for clarifying some functionality moments.

I have no problems to select the default device now. But dumn it!! Please use software volume control not hardware, i almost turned a deaf! Oh lord i know where the main volume controls are and they are quicker and safer then winamp's one all because of case too powerfull amp. It's a health care bro.

It works for me now but it certanly do not like some input plugins. So far i spotted "NotSo Fatso" plugin that leads mmdev into crush.

System volume controls affect the winamp's one

Any chance my tiny lonely Maiko beta will get the pro review?
SilverBird775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2009, 22:28   #8
Bizzeh
Forum Pirate
Beta Team

SilverBird775
im in the process of switching the mastervolume control to a channel volume control, so the volume level of the stream is edited, not the windows system volume.

also, i have found that to make this work with any vista pc, with any set of soundcards and any array of inputs. and do it all without altering any settings. the stream needs to be exclusive, or, the stream needs to be resampled to the required output.

personally, i think an exclusive stream would be better all round, as you would get a bit perfect output, and you would have the option of shutting out all shared mode applications using the audio system.

with shared mode, you HAVE to use the default that is set in the advanced properties.

also, its good that we both have similar projects, creates competition, pushes us both forward... ie. the reason i decided to fix mine today is because i saw yours :P
Old 1st February 2009, 04:36   #9
sullysnet

I selected Creative but I keep getting the above stated message about the format. I thought maybe it was my in_MAD plugin but I changed to the default in_MP3 and I get the same message.

thanks

It’s a fragile thing, this life we lead, if I think too much, I can’t get over
sullysnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2009, 19:18   #10
will
Nullsoft Newbie (Moderator)

in_mad? jesus what is this 2001?

DO NOT PM ME WITH TECH SUPPORT QUESTIONS
will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2009, 19:39   #11
Bizzeh
Forum Pirate
Beta Team

you have to do the fix i described above. right now this plugin simply outputs a bit for bit copy of what winamp provides, rather than attempting to up or down sample to what the soundcard wants.

to fix:

go to the Vista's speaker taskbar icon, select Playback device, then "Speaker Properties", "Advanced" tab and make sure the default format is set to 16bit (or 24bit if you have that switched on in winamp) and 44100mhz, not 48000mhz...

for a more permanent fix, im planning on making this exclusive mode rather than shared, then no matter what winamp gives the output, it will work, as long as the sound card supports it.

other than that, i will have to up/down sample the audio stream which defeats the object of wasapi.
Old 2nd February 2009, 00:59   #12
sullysnet

Quote:
Originally posted by will
in_mad? jesus what is this 2001?
there is no need for your comment and the last build for your info is 3/3/2008

Old 2nd February 2009, 01:00   #13
sullysnet

Quote:
Originally posted by Bizzeh
you have to do the fix i described above. right now this plugin simply outputs a bit for bit copy of what winamp provides, rather than attempting to up or down sample to what the soundcard wants.

to fix:

for a more permanent fix, im planning on making this exclusive mode rather than shared, then no matter what winamp gives the output, it will work, as long as the sound card supports it.

other than that, i will have to up/down sample the audio stream which defeats the object of wasapi.
I have it set to 24bit 48k so maybe that is the issue

thanks

Old 12th February 2009, 12:05   #14
Simon Chick

Hi. I am actually a MediaMonkey user, which I hope is not a dirty word here, and does not disqualify me!

Since Winamp plugins generally work in MM I have been looking all over for a WASAPI plugin to give exclusive mode to match the Foobar one.

I was really excited to see this development and hope that you can bring it to fulfilment. Any timeline on implementing exclusive mode?
Simon Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2009, 04:15   #15
twindaddy

Gapless playback

I'm using the Out_MMdev plugin (64 bit Vista with 32 bit Winamp) and it's working almost perfectly. Thanks to Bizzeh for the hard work in making WASAPI playback a reality. The only issue I'm having is with gapless playback. For example, when playing back Dark Side of the Moon, at the end of a track it seems the last second gets cut off. Following the premature truncation, there's a short time gap of silence, about a tenth of a second, and then the next track begins. If you have two tracks that should play seamlessly, it's quite noticeable. When I change the output plugin to DirectSound, gapless works fine.

The audio I'm playing back is WMA lossless. I haven't tried it with other formats.

Has anybody else experienced this problem with the gap between tracks?
twindaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2010, 13:12   #16
Dexter_prog

can you reupload this, please?
Dexter_prog is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Developer Center > Winamp Development