Old 5th December 2004, 09:35   #1
MailleMan

Send a message via ICQ to MailleMan Send a message via AIM to MailleMan
Piping sound through WinAmp?

Hey...I'm trying to make a mix for a party coming up using a program separate from WinAmp (MixMeister, if you're curious), and I'd love to use Milkdrop as a visualization during the party over a projector. But, as you probably know, Milkdrop only responds to sound coming out of winamp. Is there a way, perhaps through a certain input plugin, to have WinAmp capture all of the sound that would normally be played through my speakers and play it (modifying it as it does any music, of course), so that I could have WinAmp open and use its visualizations with the mixing software? Let me know ASAP - thanks a lot.
MailleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2004, 14:01   #2
JonnyMac

In other words, you want Winamp to "hear" the sound from another app. Maybe the following…

Use the this guide CD & Linein Visualizations. Except on step #3, part 4) Select something like "Wave Out", "Stereo Out", "Mono Out" or "What you hear" (actual name will vary with soundcard) instead of "CD Player"/"Line-in"

Please do not PM me for tech support. Any request for tech support through PM will be ignored.
Read the Stickies
---> | | | | <--- Knowledge is power
JonnyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2004, 21:24   #3
MailleMan

Send a message via ICQ to MailleMan Send a message via AIM to MailleMan
Yay!

It worked! I browsed that guide you gave me and the site for a plugin that eventually led me to realize that I had to open "line://" in winamp after getting all of those settings in to start it playing (wasn't sure how to do that). It works now, although the performance is a bit shaky (around 20 fps in milkdrop). I'm not sure if there's a setting that I changed that caused that, or if it's just the CPU usage from everything I have running. Is there any setting or two that you know of that would cause this? Thanks.

P.S. I turned the volume all the way down in WinAmp because it seemed that both programs ended up sending sound to the card, does that indicate the correct setup?
MailleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2004, 22:29   #4
JonnyMac

Actually, you don't need that plug-in mentioned in the guide. Use Winamp's default linein:// (not line://) as the "URL". Sorry, I thought the part about Open URL > linein:// was mentioned in the guide.

In step #3, part 4), adjust the volume you have selected in Recording Control to increase or decrease the change in the vis.
JonnyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion