Old 29th December 2009, 13:32   #1
chrisdornan

playing an album

I am trying to play an Album in WinAmp 5.571 with the Bento skin!

This is really a user-interface design issue. The interface seems to be organized so that you can select an artist, and then one of their albums to queue or play.

But it doesn't seem to work that way, the problem coming when more than one artist has contributed to the album. In this case the initial selection filters the tracks you can play by that artist, and when you select the album you get only the tracks on the album by that artist.

I have spent quite some time looking for the answer to this. It seems very basic and I am sorry if I have missed anything obvious.

My question is this: should I forget about using artists to narrow my search for albums and just select all albums and then locate the album I need in the global list? If so it seems to me that it would be useful to have a 'select filters and panes' with an album-only default option, so that when you select an album you know that no tracks are being filtered out.

Note that I know that I can manually make up a playlist or select the 'Play all files from Foo' album by popping up a menu on one of the tracks in the third pane.

My follow-up question is why doesn't WinAmp use the artist selection to filter albums (not tracks), so that when you select the album you know you have selected the album?

Finally is there a plugin to provide the functionality I am looking for?
chrisdornan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2009, 22:33   #2
Zero2FiftyIn4

For albums with multiple artist like that you have to fill in the 'album artist' field most people use "Various Artists".

"It is, in the end, whatever the Hell I want it to be,
And when I'm through with it, it's gonna blow a hole,
This wide, straight through the worlds own idea of itself.
They're throwing bottles at your house.
Come on, lets go break their arms."
Zero2FiftyIn4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2009, 04:57   #3
chrisdornan

In this case the album artist is left blank, yet when I organise the albums by album artist it still shows up--I am guessing that when no album artist is specified the artist tag is used.

This would just stop the album from appearing under given 'album artist' which in a sense would be more honest but hardly helpful.

It might help to illustrate with an example: 'The Very Best of Sheryl Crow' in which nearly all of the tracks are by Sheryl Crow except two where she is combined with others. The WINAMP interface doesn't seem to allow me to select 'Sheryl Crow' and then 'The Very Best of Sheryl Crow' without the two tracks in which she appears with others being excluded from the selection. Why can't we have the option of organising the albums by contributing artists where selecting an album indeed selects an album.

I must be missing something--can anyone explain this behaviour? Is it really the case that nobody listens to albums any more and WINAMP is reflecting this?
Old 30th December 2009, 08:22   #4
MarkRH

I use a view of Genre / Album Artist / Album Art. In the above case, I would make Sheryl Crow the Album Artist for the whole album and leave the Track Artist with both her and the collaborating artists.

DJ mix CDs such as Paul Oakenfold or DJ Tiesto would have the Album Artist as their name and then each track artist would be whatever artist was specified.

For Soundtracks or other albums with Various Artists I use the Album Name or Movie Name as the Album Artist. Using "Various Artists" for an Album Artist makes no sense to me as it does nothing to help filtering.

There's no right or wrong way of doing, just whatever helps you find/play the music you want.
MarkRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2009, 08:35   #5
chrisdornan

I think people I am not being clear. I do not want to re-edit the tags for my entire Juke Box to fit the WINAMP interface. I am asking if WINAMP can work sensibly with the tags that have already been generated.

If I were to use Genre / Album Artist / Album Art then this would make the problem worse as I could have an album with tracks that belonged to more than one genre, providing _more_ opportunities for the interface to filter out tracks from the album.

The question is does WINAMP provide a means of listing Sheryl Crow's albums and then for me to select one of those albums--ALL of the tracks? I still find it difficult to believe that this is not the case--I am missing something, right?
Old 30th December 2009, 09:24   #6
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Winamp -> Prefs -> Media Library -> Local Media -> Options tab:
Use Artist as Album Artist if not available

When checkmarked, if the Album Artist field is empty in the tags when the files are imported, then the Album Artist field in the mldb will be the same as the Artist field in the tags.

The only way round it is to make sure your files are properly tagged,
ie. if the Album Artist is Sheryl Crow, then it needs to be specified.

Winamp will only see a set of tracks being from the same album if the Album Artist & Album Title are the same.

The "Artist" field is the Track Artist(s), not the "Album Artist".

To rectify, select all tracks on the Album in the ML,
right-click the first selected track, select "Edit selected items",
Type in the correct Album Artist,
make sure "Update file tags if supported" is checkmarked,
Click "Update".
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2009, 11:09   #7
chrisdornan

Thanks DJ Egg. I have the 'Use Artist as Album Artist if not available' option set, but it doesn't help me.

That WINAMP needs the artist and album artist to be set consistently to recognise tracks as belonging to an album is the key-once I set the album artist things started behaving as I would have expected. At least I now know what is going on!

I suggest that WINAMP loosen the criteria for recognising an album to allow the Album Artist to be empty across all the tracks with matching titles, either that or provide an option to enable this behavior.

Should I cross-post this suggestion to the Winamp Wishlist forum?
Old 30th December 2009, 13:17   #8
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Quote:
Originally posted by chrisdornan

Should I cross-post this suggestion to the Winamp Wishlist forum?
Hmm, no, I doubt if anything's ever going to change.

Tracks are from the same album if "Album Artist" & "Album" fields are the same across all tracks.

"Artist" field = Track Artist

That's just the way it is :-)
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion