Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion

Old 9th July 2005, 18:52   #1
tonitoni

Enhancer Plug-in v0.17 + DrO's Compatibility Wrapper v0.9.1 (04/11/2010)

Hey, does somebody know how to edit enhancer 017, the best dsp plugin ever?

When i close winamp when its minimized and open winamp again and maximaze it the enhancer is gone and i must go to settings to get enhancer window again visible. SO is there anyway to keep it open/maximazed/visible after closing winamp minimazed?

Hopeful somebody understand..
It's not very important but...

[edit - DrO 22/09/2010]
http://www.nunzioweb.com/daz/enhancer/ - A compatibility wrapper to get Enhancer v0.17 working nicely again
tonitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2005, 03:55   #2
jmatthews112
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to jmatthews112 Send a message via Yahoo to jmatthews112
Third-party plugins aren't supported, so head to the plugin developer for support.

I don't use this specific plugin, yet someone may choose to provide you with limited information. I guess it's really up to them.

jmat
jmatthews112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2005, 10:41   #3
wmjordan

The plugin seems to have stopped developing.
It is a bug.
wmjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2006, 02:44   #4
byblo

Its not really a bug. The enhancer use the registry entry :
LOCAL,Software\Ioscasoft\Enhancer\Version 017,Window State
When set to 0, the enhancer starting minimised or hided.

Got that annoying problem too when I close winamp when minimised, but here is the solution :

You can fix it easily editing the dsp_enh.dll which is contained into the \Plugins\ folder with few steps:

* move the dsp_enh.dll to another location to ensure that its not in-use already by any program like winamp.(if in-use, you'll cannot edit it. close winamp, restart your computer or use a dedicated sofware...)

* use the upx(I used the upx 1.24, but guess upx 2.0 should be able to do it without problems) tool to decompress the dsp_enh.dll with the parameter line : upx -d dsp_enh.dll

* use a hexadecimal editor to edit the dsp_enh.dll, and go to the offset 22751 (58DFh) and replace the value 7509 to EB09. and save the result..

* recompress the dsp_enh.dll using the paramline :
upx dsp_enh.dll

* Thats all Edit: This will make enhancer always visible. Replace the dll at its right location in the \Plugins\ folder and enjoy

For who are too lazy, here is a copy of the already fixed dll : dsp_enh.107.minimize.bug.fixed.zip

Last edited by byblo; 29th May 2006 at 03:13.
byblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2006, 10:03   #5
tonitoni

Thank you!

I have waited this fix for about 2 years!
Now winamp really kickass! Oh yeah, thanks x 1 000 000 times!!
Old 29th May 2006, 10:24   #6
tonitoni

BTW, do you also happen to know how to disable Enhancer's automatic volume?
Old 29th May 2006, 10:42   #7
byblo

No, sorry. You should try to contact the author.
Old 29th May 2006, 15:38   #8
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Quote:
No, sorry. You should try to contact the author.
Mailed him several times, never got an awnser. I guess the project is dead.
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2006, 04:16   #9
Enigma66

Never answered me either. Sad, it's a nice plugin too. I much prefer it over the built-in EQ but would like to get rid of the volume adjustment.
Enigma66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2006, 08:55   #10
byblo

Hello. I found another interesting one :

@25F1Ch 00 -> 80 = set the window ExStyle with the "tool window" attribute (to do not shown when using the alt+tab windows shortcut)

I'll release the fixed dll soon for who want it (just the time to testing it to be ensure that nothing messed..)

Edit : here is : dsp_enh.107.minimize.bug.fixed+tool.window.enabled.zip
Old 27th October 2006, 04:18   #11
byblo

I made a enhancer's skin for the default winamp skin, maybe it can interest somebody : winamp_enhancer_skins_mx.zip
Install it in \Plugins\enhancer\017\
Old 2nd May 2007, 14:18   #12
borarslan

thank you all. now is enchanger 17 the best plugin.
borarslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2008, 21:43   #13
benderecs

I have installed winamp 5.5 with enhancer 0.17, I had to format my computer and reinstall everything but now I'm using for security reasons a limited user account instead of an administrator one, and every time I open winamp I get this error message from enhancer "Error: can't access registry information..." and every configuration made previously is reset so I have to configure it again on every winamp start... Is there something I can do to fix this?
benderecs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2008, 22:31   #14
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

The main problem is, that Enhancer is outdated. It doesn't support multiple profiles under Vista/XP, so you're not able to save settings.

The Plugin is many years old, doubtful, that there ever will be an update.
Old 18th April 2008, 00:02   #15
ShadyPenguins

Quote:
Originally posted by benderecs
"Error: can't access registry information..."
I've found two ways around this in Vista.

First, the obvious--and bad way--is to run WinAMP with admin priviledges.

The second--and better way--is to run WinAMP with XP SP2 compatibility. This also means no priviledge elevation requests when starting WinAMP.

To do this, browse to where WinAMP is installed on your computer, probably C:\Program Files\Winamp\ Next, right click on "winamp" and select "Properties". Click on the "Compatibility" tab and check the box for "Compatibility mode". Finally, click "OK" and enjoy Enhancer again.

The best way would be if Enhancer was updated though.

I'm using the second method now, and it works great.

Note: I suspect that this is far too late for the current discussion, but hopefully it will help someone else. Or perhaps I'll need it again later.
ShadyPenguins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2008, 03:54   #16
benderecs

Quote:
Originally posted by ShadyPenguins
I've found two ways around this in Vista.
Really works like that in Vista? I'm working with XP so I won't be able to try it for a while... at least is another reason to consider upgrade... a good one as enhancer is the best sound enhancement plugin... works even better than DFX in my opinion... thanks anyway!
benderecs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2009, 02:13   #17
maverickmx

Quote:
Originally posted by benderecs
I have installed winamp 5.5 with enhancer 0.17, I had to format my computer and reinstall everything but now I'm using for security reasons a limited user account instead of an administrator one, and every time I open winamp I get this error message from enhancer "Error: can't access registry information..." and every configuration made previously is reset so I have to configure it again on every winamp start... Is there something I can do to fix this?
You can try this:

Give all the permissons to the local\software\iocasoft in regedit, and that's all, you will never see the messeage again.
maverickmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2009, 07:50   #18
akibro

Windows 7 and enhancer017

Hi all

Stumbled upon this thread while having the same “can’t access registry …” problem, but with win7.

I ran installed Winamp normally but changed enhancer017 before I installed it, to have the setting under compatibility with the following conditions: Windows SP3 mode with full admin rights. Works perfectly every time!

Awesome app!

Wish it would be updated by the creator. Have used it for the last 7 yrs and is the only DSP I use

akibro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 23:16   #19
Primoz

You did what exactly? Can you describe the whole process?
Primoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2010, 09:01   #20
DrO

from a quick look at things, the main problem is that the plug-in tries to save things into HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Ioscasoft (with redirection automatically done to Wow6432Node on 64-bit OSes). if the plug-in could be altered to access HKEY_CURRENT_USER instead then that's resolve the main regsitry issue (as that's where all of it's settings are saved and not to any ini file as was speculated easrlier on in this thread).

running Winamp as an admin/under compatability modes is not a solution (despite what seems to have been mentioned in this thread) and really needs a native fix in the plug-in's source code (unlikely) or for a patch/dsp loader to alter things in the plug-in either physically or via realtime patching (changing the registry key it tries to use or converting registry calls to ini file redirection making it more portable/like the rest of Winamp's plug-ins). an external patcher would also make it feasilble to add a main window menu allowing for the window to be shown/hidden as required without the quirky hacks already done.

oh well, if only i had the time/interest to work on a patcher (along with resolving the installer issues for this) then it'd resolve one more thing people keep posting about not working with Winamp (and not at all Winamp's fault in this case).

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2010, 22:35   #21
oomingmak

I prefer to have the Enhancer window hidden by default (which is the standard behaviour) but it really irritates me every time that stupid "Contact Me" dialog pops whenever I want to configure my Enhancer settings.

Does anyone know if there's a hack that would prevent the dialog from showing?

Thanks.
oomingmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2010, 15:20   #22
Primoz

If only that contact me popup was usefull, the e-mail adresses don't work anymore... :/
Old 28th July 2010, 11:58   #23
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

oomingmak:

You cannot get rid of it without hacking the dll.

Primoz:

The mail address wasn't working years ago too, I never got a response from him.

It's sad, that some nice plugins won't be updated, but this it is.
Old 30th August 2010, 21:28   #24
DrO

i've sort of started on doing what will be needed to fix Enhancer though i've not done any coding yet - just preliminary site and doc updates (so i know it's done as i'm updating my site anyway).

oomingmak: i can't reproduce the issue of the contact message appearing all of the time though as i'm on Win7 it resets to defaults all of the time - what exactly are you doing to cause the message to appear (wasn't 100% clear from your post). or do you mean when you click on the config button in the preferences to get it to show again?

anyhow, the main things i'm aware off are:
  1. Unable to access the registry on Vista / Win7 causing an error prompt everytime it starts
  2. Preset and other settings aren't remembered (partially due to the registry issue)
  3. 'Minimise acts very weird (at least when i've tried it under Win7 causing a black window to appear where the top-left corner was
  4. have to go to the config dialog to re-show the window once it's been hidden
  5. Default skin is for 2.x which really looks awful when testing under 5.x
of those, i think a wrapper plug-in will be able to resolve points 1 & 2 thus making it compatible with newer OSes / Winamp clients.

point 3 is one i'm not 100% sure off as i've not tried it on XP to see if it's a Win7/Vista issue.

point 4 should be able to be resolved with a global hotkey option to toggle the view state of the window (not 100% how feasible this one is to do until tried as i'm not sure how the plug-in implements its window).

and finally for point 5, seeing as i'm not a skinner by nature, i'm quite happy with the skin i've made for it to appear more like the 5.x classic base skin (as the Enhancer's native one is fine for 2.x but if i'm going to fix this then i thought it'd be nicer to have a 5.x style classic base skin).

i'm still not sure i'm going to actually try to make a wrapper to fix this though any incentives to do it will definitely help move it up the list into available time...

-daz
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	classicskin.bmp
Views:	2228
Size:	222.4 KB
ID:	47505  
Old 30th August 2010, 21:31   #25
Primoz

DrO the contact windows shows up when you go to Options -> DSP/Effect, click on Enhancer and click COntinue. Then both ENhancer and the naggy contact asker show up.

'Can't access registry information...' shows up as soon as you (I) click DSP/Effect though.

If you need incentive i can deliver a truckload! DO IT!!

Anywho, i think the black square issue is present only on Win 7 (and/or Vista, didn't try Vista at all). It doesn't show in XP, but i don't know what do you mean with minimize acting weird.

I have Win 7 x64 here and Win XP 32 on the laptop, both being Pro. If you need testers, feel free to bug me. If it would be REALLY neccessary, i could test on Vista (32-bit) as well, since it's installed on my parents' computer.
Old 30th August 2010, 23:09   #26
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Really annoying is the contact window, which appears as soon as you've opened the prefs. The mail address in the contact window seems to be invalid too, though.

It seems, that docking the window at one of Winamp's windows doesn't work in 5.x. I'm not too sure, but was that working in 2.x?

The skin mockup looks good.
Old 31st August 2010, 06:19   #27
DrO

Primoz: that wasn't quite the incentive i meant but you've made me smile (at this early time of the morning) so i think work will be happening on the wrapper now.

Koopa: i had noticed the docking thing though wasn't 100% sure if it was meant to dock to some of the known windows or just the main window (does just the main window under a classic skin, haven't tried with a modern skin). though i think this is more something that a number of plug-ins have always had issues with - it would be so much easier if the window was in a generic skinned frame (what the media library window uses) as the window is a bit small but without source code that isn't going to be possible to do (so that it'd be skinned correctly without having to make custom skins).

well i now understand what oomingmak's comment was about, thanks for the clarification Primoz and Koopa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koopa View Post
The skin mockup looks good
that's the real thing am likely to make a version for the skin i'm currently using as it's all weird looking with a random base classic looking window with everything else, heh.

-daz
Old 2nd September 2010, 05:43   #28
fosoriog

This Works for me.

Hi all,

I found a solution for the annoying window of "Can´t Access Registry" and works fine for all users on my laptop (Running Windows 7 and Winamp 5.581).

1. Run regedit and go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Ioscasoft
2. Right click on ioscasoft key and go to permissions.
3. Select \<Machine_name>\users in the users select window.
4. Give full control to these users
5. Apply changes.

Now you can customize your Enhancer prefs without loose the settings every time that winamp closes. And say goodbye to the Error Window. No need to hack files.

Thanks to DrO, his posts lead me to this solution.

Greetings.!
fosoriog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2010, 05:59   #29
Primoz

IT WORKS!!!

Thank you! No more boosting and changin the preset everytime i start winamp (which was once a day basicly, but still annoying)!
Old 2nd September 2010, 07:27   #30
DrO

that's not the best of solutions as really the plug-in shouldn't be using HKLM for saving settings - the most sensible option is to redirect the output to either HKCU or even to go into the user's winamp.ini (making it easier to transfer settings as was done with all of the native Winamp plug-ins a few years ago).

either way, work on the wrapper is planned for next week as there's all of the other issues to resolve with the plug-in (and i've not wasted making an updated webpage for it for no reason, heh).

-daz
Old 18th September 2010, 14:46   #31
nscaccia

Great, a solution at last!!!
Thank you fosoriog!
nscaccia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2010, 05:15   #32
Nekomusume

Knowing that there's some work on updating Enhancer, even if it's just a wrapper, is totally making my year, and that's saying something, given the year I've had.

If there's any way to make it aware of the genre tag and adjust accordingly, that would be even more epic (ambience makes spoken podcasts sound rather odd)
Nekomusume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2010, 08:17   #33
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekomusume View Post
If there's any way to make it aware of the genre tag and adjust accordingly, that would be even more epic (ambience makes spoken podcasts sound rather odd)
i've not been able to work out how the plug-in deals with loading of the presets so far so i really don't know if that's even possible (i can see why it would be wanted but i'm not sure it's possible without actual source code but will see what can be done either way).

-daz
Old 21st September 2010, 22:28   #34
DrO

i've spent most of today working on the wrapper (a bit behind on where i wanted to be) and i've managed to get the wrapper to do the following:
  • re-direct all registry access to an ini file (%inidir%\plugins\plugin.ini)
  • removes the messagebox when clicking on config and also disables the registry access error (doing as a sanity thing just incase something goes wonky with the ini redirection above)
  • updated url opening to go to the still active version of the original plug-ins site
  • fixed minimise mode to now act like the rest of the winamp windows to go into winshade instead of the iconic state it has been doing over the years
  • started on expanding the skin format for the plug-in to show minimised (winshade) and inactive states correctly (debating adding in animation on the close + minimise (winshade) buttons - see attached image for what i mean
i've still to sort out an installer to correctly get files updated/renamed and all that fun and work on a few more things (some things in the plug-in i won't be able to alter with the initial version of the wrapper like how it docks to the edge of the screen or not) so am looking like a few days to finish off things (have a sparodic crash due to the wrapper on my Win7 machine which i need to iron out).

-daz
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	enhancer_state.png
Views:	40546
Size:	11.4 KB
ID:	47592  
Old 22nd September 2010, 12:19   #35
DrO

http://www.nunzioweb.com/daz/enhancer/ is now live (after 24 hours total coding - reverse engineering is time consuming) with v0.8 of the compatibility wrapper.

i'm expecting some sort of issue to arise but need to get an idea of how things work on other machines (have been testing on 3 machines i have and it seems ok). enjoy

Note: in some cases, going to the DSP preferences page may cause a crash to happen with the wrapper installed. i've only experienced it under Win7 and appears to be a stack overflow which my be related to too many load/close attempts on the wrapper but i'm not 100% sure at the moment.

-daz
Old 22nd September 2010, 17:43   #36
evolution76

Send a message via Yahoo to evolution76
Dro is the man

You rule.......can not wait to use this plugin!!!
evolution76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2010, 08:39   #37
leimus

You are a god, this works flawlessly so far on my Win 7 Pro x64 with newest winamp.
leimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2010, 21:08   #38
DrO

looks like other than the odd crash when going to the DSP prefs page (seems to be triggered by too many queries from the One for Nunz plug-in) things are otherwise ok with the wrapper

-daz
Old 30th September 2010, 21:35   #39
DrO

it looks like i've managed to find the cause of the crash when accessing the DSP prefs page with the wrapper and also another exception issue in the wrapper that could lead to a crash.

however, the downside of the first fix is that it means the enhancer window won't move with Winamp's main window if it was docked to it at the start of a moving action (though i've got it planned to see if i can make it dock to other windows anyway in a future version of the wrapper). so i'll be looking into things a bit more to see if i can fix things without loss of functionality though i've probably release the non-crashing version of the wrapper whilst i look further into things.

-daz
Old 1st October 2010, 15:57   #40
DrO

just released v0.9 of the wrapper which fixes crashes, adds localisation (now requires Winamp v5.5+) and also allows the Enhancer window to dock to the other Winamp windows + monitor edges and a few other things.

see http://www.nunzioweb.com/daz/enhancer/ for more details, etc

-daz
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion