Old 24th December 2005, 10:37   #81
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by sgtfuzzbubble99
Are these blocks actually copies of data, or are they just data to recalculate the actual data blocks should there be a disk failure?
The parity blocks are just a checksum of the redundant data, so the file system knows if there is corruption in itself and which redundant data is accurate. This is a finer method of error control.... I think ... They launched the rocket without me on this one.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2005, 14:35   #82
sgtfuzzbubble011

Ah, that makes sense to me now. I was always wondering how they could fit three blocks of data into one block of parity data. But as it stands now, if there aren't any major advances in hard drive performance within the next couple years, I probably won't do a RAID setup in my next computer. I didn't see any significant performance increase using RAID 0 in Orpheon over the standard PATA100 hard drive I have in my old HP.
sgtfuzzbubble011 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2005, 17:38   #83
rockouthippie
Banned

I dunno. I set this box up with 2 WD800s. I did have to jumper them to only operate at 150MBps. It's not twice as fast as a single drive, but it's pretty darn close.

Another little FYI. The bios raid on the mobo is still software raid, despite lofty claims. Linux does not use the bios raid, but FC4 does have support for the VIA controller.

I might not monkey with this if I was gonna run windows.
Old 24th December 2005, 22:25   #84
sgtfuzzbubble011

Well, I must've done something wrong with mine, then, because I don't see much of a difference.
Old 25th December 2005, 15:56   #85
xzxzzx
Forum King

Quote:
Ah, that makes sense to me now. I was always wondering how they could fit three blocks of data into one block of parity data. But as it stands now, if there aren't any major advances in hard drive performance within the next couple years, I probably won't do a RAID setup in my next computer. I didn't see any significant performance increase using RAID 0 in Orpheon over the standard PATA100 hard drive I have in my old HP.
RAID5 takes away 1/3rd of your total disk space (in a three-drive setup) in exchange for redundancy. The parity blocks are there so that if you lose any drive, you can recalculate the data that was stored on it from the data in the other drives. They're actually not the "checksum" of the redundant data, they are the redundant data.

Freedom of speech is the basic freedom of humanity. When you've lost that, you've lost everything.
1\/\/4y 34|<$p4y 1gp4y 33714y, 0d4y 0uy4y? | Roses are #FF0000; Violets are #0000FF; chown -R ${YOU} ~/base
The DMCA. It really is that bad. : Count for your life.
xzxzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2005, 16:00   #86
sgtfuzzbubble011

How can you fit that much data in only one block, though?
Old 25th December 2005, 23:22   #87
rockouthippie
Banned

About the only thing you really notice with the RAID 0 is that apps load faster and the wait for stuff like Quake is much reduced.

I wanted to do this because I'd like to be able to handle uncompressed video and it does help. I think I need another drive in the array though.

Honestly I'm not that worried about the reliability issue. When was the last time you had a hard disk crap out?. I have a stack of 6-10 gig ones here that still work.
Old 26th December 2005, 00:30   #88
old and quite mad
Major Dude

http://www.spydernation.com/pictures/new_box/

Peeksures of contraption taken as I remembered to take them.

I did not implement any RAID, am using the 2nd 250GB drive for storing video/audio/etcetera-o.

Issues encountered: HAD to hook a floppy up to format the 1st sata drive using maxblast 4. I bought them OEM, so they came with no software, so I dl'd MB4 from the Maxtor site (soon, sadly, to be the Seagate site), dug and dug and dug until I found a dman floppy disk, extracted program to diskette, booted from floppy, zippidee-doo-dah'd the drive, booted from the XP CD and off we went like a scalded dog.

Nivida 4 chipset natively recognizes SATA drives so no F6 needed before XP started its install.

Built box with one video card to begin with, as was recommended. After OS, serv pack, etc., etc installed, stuck in card number two, enabled SLI, rebooted and now I have pixel shading going on all over the floor and there's color pipelines dripping and rendering and anti-aliasing and all sorts of heathenistic goings on.

This thing is FAST. It was also as easy as falling off a log. Just have a fdd AND a dman floppy diskette and you're in good shape.

The search for the ultimate signature continues apace. I have journeyed from the peaks of Nepal to the depths of oceanic trenches. I have crossed deserts, jungles, swamps, savannas, steppes and frozen wastelands. I have consulted with seers, swamis, sages, scholars and savants. The peregrination proceeds purposefully.
old and quite mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2005, 03:06   #89
dandaman32

Quote:
I have a stack of 6-10 gig ones here that still work.
I have a Conner Peripherals 420MB disk that would boot Linux with ~30 mins of work.

Edit: Maybe if I keep it another year or so I can sell it to the Old Computers Association (or whatever it's called ) and get some spending money...

-dandaman32

ExperienceUI for NSIS | Latest project: Enano CMS
Do not PM me on the Winamp forums, I hardly ever check my messages here; you are more likely to get my attention through the ExperienceUI forum.
dandaman32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2005, 05:13   #90
sgtfuzzbubble011

You actually got your RAM to run at full speed in that setup? With my MSI board, I have to have the RAM cards installed in the first two slots to run at full speed (400Mhz). If I put the RAM cards in the first and third slots like that, it'd only run them at 333Mhz (PC2700).
Old 26th December 2005, 08:37   #91
rockouthippie
Banned

On the A8V I have if you install the memory in the first and third slots (or all of them) it enables dual channel DDR. I think that's the same as "olds" board except his has a couple more goodies like a better raid controller.
Old 27th December 2005, 14:12   #92
old and quite mad
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by rockouthippie
On the A8V I have if you install the memory in the first and third slots (or all of them) it enables dual channel DDR. I think that's the same as "olds" board except his has a couple more goodies like a better raid controller.
Correct. MSI and Asus have very different protocols for RAM installation.

While I am a bit PO'd that the MSI board I wanted disappeared when I was ready to order (I REALLY wanted that on-board Creative Sound Blaster chip), I am VERY pleased with this particular Asus board. Everything went right together and worked the first time and life is good.

In about 6 months or so, I will be revamping Box #2. Intel 65nm processors are on the way..... pant, drool, slobber....

The search for the ultimate signature continues apace. I have journeyed from the peaks of Nepal to the depths of oceanic trenches. I have crossed deserts, jungles, swamps, savannas, steppes and frozen wastelands. I have consulted with seers, swamis, sages, scholars and savants. The peregrination proceeds purposefully.
Old 27th December 2005, 14:17   #93
xzxzzx
Forum King

Quote:
How can you fit that much data in only one block, though?
Aaahh, the magic of XOR. This is pretty cool.

First, I'll show you how XOR is done:

code:
0 XOR 0 = 0
1 XOR 0 = 1
0 XOR 1 = 1
1 XOR 1 = 0

This is call XOR because it is an "eXclusive OR", meaning the result is only 1 if *one* (not two) of the bits is 1 (in other words, it's "exclusively 'or', not 'and'".

Check it out (using 1 bit blocks for simplicity):

code:
Data to store: 10

Block A: 1
Block B: 0
Parity: 1

Data to store: 01

Block A: 0
Block B: 1

Data to store: 00

Block B: 0
Parity: 0

Data to store: 11

Block A: 1
Block B: 1
Parity: 0

Now, you can lose any of the three blocks, and still have the value of both bits. To explain:

If you lose the parity block, well, that's obvious.

If you lose block A, you XOR block B with the parity block and you get what was in block A.

If you lose block B, you XOR block A with the parity block and you get what was in block B.

Example:

code:
Data to store: 01

Block B: 1 <-- we lose this block on a failed drive

1 (Parity) XOR 0 (A) = 1 (B)

Freedom of speech is the basic freedom of humanity. When you've lost that, you've lost everything.
1\/\/4y 34|<$p4y 1gp4y 33714y, 0d4y 0uy4y? | Roses are #FF0000; Violets are #0000FF; chown -R ${YOU} ~/base
The DMCA. It really is that bad. : Count for your life.
xzxzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2005, 01:27   #94
sgtfuzzbubble011

Oh! That's fuggin' cool! I understand it now. Thanks.

Quote:
On the A8V I have if you install the memory in the first and third slots (or all of them) it enables dual channel DDR.
Quote:
MSI and Asus have very different protocols for RAM installation.
Ah, got'cha.
Old 28th December 2005, 06:49   #95
dlichterman
Forum King

I'll be dealing with that possibly tomorrow or the next day...ordered those 2 gigs of RAM from newegg.....its in LA im about 1.5 hours away from it :|

Software is like sex: It's better when it's free.-*-If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0-*-Guess the band from pics game
dlichterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2005, 03:30   #96
sgtfuzzbubble011

I just got done ordering a bunch of parts from newegg to build a computer for a friend. I might make a thread later when I actually build it.
Old 29th December 2005, 06:36   #97
dlichterman
Forum King

OMG!!!!!!!!I AM SHIPPING CURSED!!!!!!!!!

It said on the fedex site that at 8:30 this morning it went out on a truck for delivery, BUT NEVER GOT DELIVERED!!!! OMFG im cursed. Well its not late yet cause the expected shipping delivery day is friday....still doing better than my 2day air that took 3

Software is like sex: It's better when it's free.-*-If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0-*-Guess the band from pics game
dlichterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2006, 05:47   #98
sgtfuzzbubble011

I built that computer for the friend I was talking about, but I was too lazy to take pictures. I'll post specs later, probably.

But tonight, with lots of help from techsupp0rt, I OC'd Orpheon. Went from 2412Mhz to 2639Mhz, so my Athlon 64 4000+ is faster than an FX55 now. With a little more tweaking, I can turn it into an FX57. This thing loads Windows like a bat out of hell, now.
Old 13th January 2006, 11:45   #99
old and quite mad
Major Dude

What kind of cooling are you using?

Old 13th January 2006, 23:59   #100
fookknot
Fookerator

I'm using the default HSF that came with my Athlon 64. I haven't changed the voltage yet, so excess heat isn't a problem, but if I do decide to raise the speed some more, I'll have to change the voltage... and get a new HSF setup. I messed around with it a little more last night before I went to bed, and I ended up lowering the clock speed down to 2579Mhz in order to get my RAM to run at 215Mhz instead of 186Mhz. I'll mess with it a little more later when I get back home from Tennessee.

-Sarge
fookknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2006, 02:47   #101
sgtfuzzbubble011

Ok, looking around for a new HSF setup. Techs told me about a HSF that was pretty much universally reommended at anandtech, but I can't remember what it was called. If I get some more time, I'll go over there and see if I can find out which one it is again.

Anyways, I also wanted to ask everyone here if they have any experience with aftermarket heatsinks and fans. Does anyone else have suggestions? I've been reading a lot of user reviews on Newegg.com for several different models.

[edit]
Found it...

THERMALRIGHT XP-90C

It's very nice, but it's a tad on the expensive side. I also found this fan to go with it. I couldn't find the Panaflo fan that everyone at Anandtech was using, and I found a Sunon fan that put out 46cfm, but it didn't have the right power connector on it, so this Antec is the next best thing. I think I'm going to count my pocket change tomorrow night. :P
[/edit]
Old 20th January 2006, 04:43   #102
sgtfuzzbubble011

Quote:
Originally posted by me
I'm using the default HSF that came with my Athlon 64. I haven't changed the voltage yet, so excess heat isn't a problem, but if I do decide to raise the speed some more, I'll have to change the voltage... and get a new HSF setup. I messed around with it a little more last night before I went to bed, and I ended up lowering the clock speed down to 2579Mhz in order to get my RAM to run at 215Mhz instead of 186Mhz. I'll mess with it a little more later when I get back home from Tennessee.
Been messing with this thing some more this evening, and I've gotten it to run stable at 2.75Ghz CPU core clock speed (275x10). I pulled the RAM back down to 206Mhz and bumped it up from 2.5ms to 3.0ms CL. Apparently, the manual settings for the DDR were set to 2.5ms CL instead of Auto, so when I tried to overclock it before, it would cause reboots and system failures. That's not a problem now. Had to increase the voltage just a tad (+6.6%), but not enough to cause any heat problems. The stock HSF keeps it pretty cool. If I decide to go any farther, I'll think about that Thermalright XP-90C.

Yay! Three posts in a row! :P
Old 20th January 2006, 09:02   #103
rockouthippie
Banned

I can't get this A8V to budge. I know the memory (kingston) can go past 225 Mhz, but the MB is'nt real cooperative.
Old 20th January 2006, 23:59   #104
sgtfuzzbubble011

I haven't messed with many motherboards before. This is the first time I've actually overclocked a computer (well, ever since overclocking consisted of moving jumpers on the MB). I'm very happy with this MSI board. Lots of features, room to upgrade, and easy to manipulate.
Old 16th August 2006, 01:25   #105
sgtfuzzbubble011

I got my new CPU delivered today. Orpheon now has an Athlon 64 4800+ X2 (Toledo Core). I had to update the BIOS as well, so it's running as stock with no overclocking. I'll probably tweak it up some more tomorrow night.

I've got some pictures of the new CPU, so I'll resize them and post them here later. I really like the HSF setup that comes with this dual core CPU. It's not very dissimilar from the XP-90 that I linked to a while back (a few posts up).
Old 16th August 2006, 02:32   #106
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to k_rock923
oooh, nice chip sarge

although if i were going to drop 300 bucks on a chip i'd go for an AM2 socket. I don't like spending that much on a temporary upgrade.

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
k_rock923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2006, 22:11   #107
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

You suck Sarge
ElChevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2006, 02:38   #108
sgtfuzzbubble011

Quote:
although if i were going to drop 300 bucks on a chip i'd go for an AM2 socket. I don't like spending that much on a temporary upgrade.
That would require that I buy a new motherboard and RAM. While I wouldn't mind having DDR2 and an FX62, the massive cost wouldn't net me much more performance than what I'll be getting out of my system once I OC this 4800+ a little bit. I'm going to wait until sAM3 and DDR3 are released before I build a new system. Then I'm going to build a powerhouse.

Quote:
You suck Sarge
I've had a couple women tell me that I'm pretty good at it, too.
Old 17th August 2006, 11:08   #109
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

I hope and pray you don't mean transtesticles
ElChevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2006, 03:06   #110
sgtfuzzbubble011

http://sarge.wheresthebeef.co.uk/Mis...1/DSCF1090.jpg
http://sarge.wheresthebeef.co.uk/Mis...1/DSCF1100.jpg
http://sarge.wheresthebeef.co.uk/Mis...1/DSCF1106.jpg
http://sarge.wheresthebeef.co.uk/Mis...1/DSCF1109.jpg
http://sarge.wheresthebeef.co.uk/Mis...1/DSCF1114.jpg

Just a few images of the new CPU/HS and installation. I haven't had time to mess with it yet, so it's still running stock. I'll OC it later.
Old 26th August 2006, 08:31   #111
sgtfuzzbubble011

Got it OCed a little bit, now. It's running at 2.52Ghz per core, compared to the stock 2.4Ghz. The RAM is also faster now. It's up from 2 x 200Mhz to 2 x 210Mhz. That means that my DDR(3200) is now running at DDR(3400) speed. If I can keep it stable, I'm going to try to get it up to 2 x 2.6Ghz or so. Since most of the things I do are single-threaded, I'm actually experiencing a loss in performance by switching from my 4000+ (OCed to 2.68Ghz) to this X2 4800+ (OCed to 2.52Ghz). Hopefully I can get some more juice out of this thing.
Old 26th August 2006, 10:48   #112
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

Quote:
Got it OCed a little bit, now. It's running at 2.52Ghz per core, compared to the stock 2.4Ghz. The RAM is also faster now. It's up from 2 x 200Mhz to 2 x 210Mhz. That means that my DDR(3200) is now running at DDR(3400) speed. If I can keep it stable, I'm going to try to get it up to 2 x 2.6Ghz or so. Since most of the things I do are single-threaded, I'm actually experiencing a loss in performance by switching from my 4000+ (OCed to 2.68Ghz) to this X2 4800+ (OCed to 2.52Ghz). Hopefully I can get some more juice out of this thing.
Keep going.

I've had my 4600+ up to 2.7 @ 1.300v under a Tt big typhoon/nexus 120mm fan. One core failed under load at 2.76/1.300v but more voltage should see it stable up to ~2.9.

These days i'm more interested in keeping systems as close to inaudible as possible, so i'm not going to bother trying more voltage.
Atmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2006, 15:19   #113
sgtfuzzbubble011

I'd have kept going last night, but it became a pain in the ass to keep having to hit the reset button on the BIOS each time it failed to boot. More time-consuming than anything, but still a pain. I'll keep trying, though.
Old 26th August 2006, 15:41   #114
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

Quote:
I'd have kept going last night, but it became a pain in the ass to keep having to hit the reset button on the BIOS each time it failed to boot. More time-consuming than anything, but still a pain. I'll keep trying, though.
One of these makes quick work of clearing the cmos, especially if you're overclocking while the board's installed in a case.
Atmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2006, 17:37   #115
sgtfuzzbubble011

That's a cool idea.

Resetting the BIOS isn't actually that difficult for me. I've got two thumbscrews that hold the side panel of my case on, so when I remove that, I can just reach in and press the reset button that's on the MB. The worst part of it is getting it to boot up after a POST fails.
Old 26th August 2006, 22:07   #116
sgtfuzzbubble011

Well, I've got it up to 2 x 2.54Ghz now. The RAM is running at 2 x 212Mhz, so that's not bad. I really don't want to mess with the CPU multiplyer and MemClockIndex if I don't have to, but I don't think I'll be able to get it much faster if I don't.

[edit]
I got a few things tweaked, and now it's running at 2 x 2624Mhz. The RAM is running at 2 x 201.9Mhz, so that's just above stock (should be pretty stable). I managed to keep the HyperTransport exactly at 2 x 1000Mhz as well. Hopefully this thing won't crash... since my 4800+ X2 is running faster than an FX60 now.
[/edit]
Old 31st August 2006, 02:11   #117
sgtfuzzbubble011

This is a little snippet from IRC a little earlier this evening...
Attached Images
File Type: gif ircstat01.gif (8.2 KB, 133 views)
Old 31st August 2006, 05:47   #118
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
4,294,965,141 MHz?

that's what, 4.2 million GHz?

I want that CPU.

Don't forget to live before you die.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2006, 00:53   #119
sgtfuzzbubble011

And it only cost me $307 plus shipping.

According to my stats plugin, I've got more computing power than NASA, Google, and Daimler/Chrysler now.
Old 1st September 2006, 02:48   #120
MrMagick
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to MrMagick Send a message via AIM to MrMagick Send a message via Yahoo to MrMagick
That should go on Bash

-~MrMagick~-
MrMagick is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions