Old 14th May 2014, 00:57   #1
thinktink
Forum King

Send a message via Skype™ to thinktink
in_flac inconsistenies

This is not really so much a bug as it is a nuisance or inconsistency with in_flac and the other input plugins. I've noticed that the built-in EQ shows the changes made by DSP plugins when playing files decoded by most other input plugins but does not when playing files with in_flac. It appears that in_flac is first sending samples to the SAAddPCMData and similar functions before sending them to the DSP instead of the other way 'round like in in_mp3 and and in_wav
thinktink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2014, 02:17   #2
Aminifu
Forum King

Thank you for your post. I've been trying to figure out the processing train (without the benefit of the tools you have available) and it did seem to change depending on the file format. This has lead me to stop using Winamp's EQ in most cases. Usually when I need equalizing, I use the EQ provided with my sound card. It's only a 7-band EQ, but it's effects are added after all the Winamp + my 3rd party DSP plug-in (Stereo Tool without it's EQ function) processing.

Winamp Pro 5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2014, 07:54   #3
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinktink View Post
This is not really so much a bug as it is a nuisance or inconsistency with in_flac and the other input plugins. I've noticed that the built-in EQ shows the changes made by DSP plugins when playing files decoded by most other input plugins but does not when playing files with in_flac. It appears that in_flac is first sending samples to the SAAddPCMData and similar functions before sending them to the DSP instead of the other way 'round like in in_mp3 and and in_wav
that sounds like a bug to me. is it also true of ALAC files?

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2014, 11:54   #4
DrO

what's being mentioned only relates to visual elements and is not related to actual DSP processing which is done via a different code path (as can be confirmed by messing around with the preamp level on the EQ which is the easiest way i believe to see the effect when comparing FLAC vs MP3 versions of the same file).

in_flac itself doesn't call the methods mentioned and instead uses SAGetMode(..) and SAAdd(..) which a number of other input plug-ins also use (but it depends on the format / mode as to what will or will not be used - often determined by how the audio is obtained).

whether it's a bug or not is debatable, but for the time being i don't intend to make any changes other than logging this as something to check if i get really bored.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports

Tags
dsp, in_flac, savsa