Old 1st June 2015, 16:09   #1
drbpavan

SoftAmp VirtualSound plugin

Hi Guys,
This DSP plugin is the most downloaded but has only 21 day evaluation period; Is there anyway i can get it beyond that time period? I am even willing to pay for it !
drbpavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2015, 00:03   #2
DrO

you would need to try contacting the author of the plug-in (assuming you can find any contact details). otherwise you're probably out of luck (especially as it looks like it's an old plug-in to start with from the early 2000's so is probably unlikely you'll find working contact details for the author, if at all).
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2015, 03:43   #3
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

On such cases, if no contact and no support will be provided anymore, someone should patch it and offer it for free as an "official" release. Some sort of "liberation" of abandoneware that can be useful for some people under certain circumstances (obviously willing to accept that the soft is provided as-is without guarantee or support..). Having the original author agreeing with it would be ideal.

I think there could be several Winamp plugins that fall under this category and this way it can be kept sort of relevant or available instead of totally forgotten and unusable. I know you DrO will point out that it could be a nightmare for the official Winamp support but maybe a big statement of "presence of unsupported plugins on the info tool will make official support not viable" could be enough..

· · TMCT · KOMODO X
Victhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2015, 11:05   #4
DrO

it's a loaded gun as at what point do you decide a plug-in is no longer supported as well as hacking plug-ins to circumvent registration, etc often isn't the simplest of things to do.

and even if you remove the restrictions in said plug-ins, it still won't help with OS and Winamp compatibility issues which are most likely present due to the inherent age of those plug-ins.

so I understand the point, but on a practical point, it's a lot of work and there's never a guarantee it'll work correctly depending on the age of the plug-in and how it was protected. and is trying to revive locked / dead plug-ins from yesteryear such a good thing to do... ?

to those wanting then, then yes. but it doesn't reflect well that there's too much reliance still on plug-ins from so early in Winamp's existence that end up causing more issues and make Winamp look bad when it's the plug-ins that are the fault and that's not something that can be resolved (as no one wants to make plug-ins, even before the sale and uncertainty arose).
Old 3rd June 2015, 13:20   #5
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

The main issue I see with plugins is that there are features / functions people still want (often new users look for it too) and the only way to get it are old / unsupported plugins. So Winamp is stuck in a grey area where no one would re-do or update those plugins, but the old ones (of which most still work fine) are unsupported or have some sort of pay-wall impossible to circumvent (for the average user) even though people would pay for it if they could.

But what I propose is not doing some sort of "official" intervention to make those plugins available again, that's not Winamp's area, I´d just let users - devs do the job and from here just point to the "new" release instead of the old one.

The thing about plugins "making Winamp look bad" is true, but maybe it should be weighted against "Winamp by itself doesn't do what I want (but an old plugin does)". But that's a whole other subject..

All in all it really doesn't matter what we think, because to begin with, these kind of things are actually up to the community to do, not Winamp officially. Winamp can't be seen involved on such issues or determine something to do over the third party developer's property.
It's more of a community thing to solve and the only thing left for Winamp to do -if any- is to assume some position, but for that, first, someone should patch a plugin (fixing issues on the go or just avoiding time-limiting stuff) and -like we say here- THEN we can talk again..

· · TMCT · KOMODO X
Victhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2015, 13:42   #6
DrO

well as no one wants to do that (or when they have they've been criticised as it's obviously hacking / cracking things and that's generally viewed in a bad light), it's at somewhat of an impasse really.

as my wrapper plug-ins were about the nearest to that sort of thing and the amount of work needed to getting those working correctly was ridiculous and even now, they're still not 100% due to certain issues not being able to be worked around. plus that's without doing some of the things that would be needed to get some of these plug-ins working.

as to whether or not Winamp should provide the functionality of such plug-ins as part of a native offering is another can or worms. seeing as the point was to have plug-ins to extend the player into the niche areas or allow someone who actually knows the specific field to do the best possible plug-in rather than a limited version that would come from 'official' development (if it all).

in an ideal world, those needing such things would be able to rely on the community but those who were technically minded for such things have long since left and that doesn't really make it feasible for what's being suggested (like how most of the save winamp 'devs' were web-devs which isn't what is needed for client players *shrugs* ).
Old 3rd June 2015, 17:09   #7
drbpavan

DrO and VicThor...thank you guys for this input...I am using Winamp on Windows 8.1 and it works amazing except minor bugs ( but not interfering with listening experience)...I have been a loyal user since 2003 and it still rocks ! looooot better than any player I've come across; SoftAmp worked with winamp flawlessly on my machine!

Trust me, I tried searching all over the internet ...even tried to find the author with no use....I don't want to invite malware by downloading "crack"from somewhere ( trust me there's SoftAmp plugin+ "crack" on torrent network that is 15 year old that's dead now...) I hope the author would revive it or let it go for making it available for "free" for everyone like Winamp...

Hope our devs crack it ...
drbpavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion

Tags
dsp, plugin, softamp