Old 22nd August 2003, 17:26   #1
spam23

Location: Chorley, Lancashire, England, UK, Europe, Earth, (3rd rock from the sun)
Send a message via ICQ to spam23 Send a message via Yahoo to spam23
Winamp 5 (or whatever) forum

Hey, seeing as winamp 5 is quite a hot topic, why not give it it's very own forum? I think it's a great idea and so does my gran, and her cat.
spam23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2003, 17:59   #2
mikm
Major Dude

Since there are no public betas out, it would make no sense. Discussions usually belong in the WA2 or WA3 dev forums.

powered by C₂H₅OH
mikm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2003, 18:19   #3
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

When Winamp 5 is released, the entire winamp.com website will be updated to reflect the fact.
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2003, 20:30   #4
mark e
Major Dude

but, is there gonna be public beta testing?
mark e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2003, 20:35   #5
mikm
Major Dude

Sure. There WA3 beta testing on the main page. (I think I remembered a late Alpha version, but I'm not surE)

powered by C₂H₅OH
mikm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2003, 13:28   #6
amano
Major Dude

as wa5 is tennically winamp 2's son, the winamp 5 discussion will entirely replace the winamp 2 discussion.

eeeee eeeeeee eeeee eeeee eeeee
8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 88
8eee8 8e 8 8 8eee8 8e 8 8 8
88 8 88 8 8 88 8 88 8 8 8
88 8 88 8 8 88 8 88 8 8eee8
amano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2003, 18:11   #7
jtp755

Send a message via ICQ to jtp755 Send a message via AIM to jtp755
so you are sayin that there will be no more WA2 discussion forums when WA5 is released?
jtp755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2003, 19:32   #8
Electronic Punk

Send a message via ICQ to Electronic Punk Send a message via AIM to Electronic Punk Send a message via Yahoo to Electronic Punk
but doesn't it also replace winamp3 ?
Electronic Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2003, 19:43   #9
Sawg

Winamp5 is an upgrade to Winamp 2.X

Winamp3 is still a separate product and will be treated as such. Though it won't be Nullsoft's main emphasis. I don't see the Winamp3 forums leaving any time soon.

But Winamp5 is still a natural progression for Winamp2. Like from Winamp 1.X to 2.X was. Therefore I think 2.9X will not longer be supported. Mostly because if you don't install the extra fancy new Winamp5 stuff with it you basically have 2.9X with bug fixes.

Therefore I would assume the Winamp 2 forums would become the Winamp5 forums, but still taking Winamp 2 questions. (Maybe "Winamp 2 / Winamp5" for a while).
Old 27th August 2003, 20:14   #10
jtp755

Send a message via ICQ to jtp755 Send a message via AIM to jtp755
ok i gotcha! thanks
I cant wait til its here.
jtp755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2003, 22:39   #11
music_man_mpc

Send a message via ICQ to music_man_mpc
MPC support

What are the chances of seeing native MusePack audio support in Winamp5? As the undisputed (among those most knowledgeable in audio compression) king of lossy formats, I am suprized that Winamp does not support it already.

I don't want to start a flame war here, so if anyone wants to dispute my comment about MusePack being the king I suggest that they go here and ask ask some of the developers of their favorite codecs themselves.

edit: and yes Ogg probably beats MusePack under 100kbit/s, but over that bitrate MPC is the king. See the 128kbps Extension Test , if you don't believe me.

Last edited by music_man_mpc; 28th August 2003 at 00:43.
music_man_mpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2003, 23:00   #12
Reaper
Forum King

Re: MPC support

Quote:
Originally posted by music_man_mpc
What are the chances of seeing native MusePack audio support in Winamp5? As the undisputed (among those most knowledgeable in audio compression) king of lossy formats, I am suprized that Winamp does not support it already.

I don't want to start a flame war here, so if anyone wants to dispute my comment about MusePack being the king I suggest that they go here and ask ask some of the developers of their favorite codecs themselves.

edit: and yes Ogg probably beats MusePack under 100kbit/s, but over that bitrate MPC is the king. See the 128kbps Extension Test , if you don't believe me.
Edit your first link. It points to hydrogenaudio.com instead of hydrogenaudio.org.

ml_iPod - [Homepage] | [Forums] | [Wiki]
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2003, 23:03   #13
n0On3

Send a message via ICQ to n0On3
Quote:
Originally posted by Sawg
Therefore I would assume the Winamp 2 forums would become the Winamp5 forums, but still taking Winamp 2 questions. (Maybe "Winamp 2 / Winamp5" for a while).
Why don't we call that forum "Winamp7"? seems logical to me
n0On3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2003, 00:44   #14
music_man_mpc

Re: Re: MPC support

Quote:
Originally posted by Reaper
Edit your first link. It points to hydrogenaudio.com instead of hydrogenaudio.org.
Wow, how could I have made that mistake?

edit: So no one has an answer about MPC support?
Old 28th August 2003, 02:59   #15
Sawg

I would say quite doubtful. Maybe if MusePack becomes more widespread. And it would take probably quite a while for AOL Legal to poke it with a stick (Ogg Vorbis was held up for several versions, and it is patent free, and it is currently holding up AAC)
Old 28th August 2003, 03:43   #16
music_man_mpc

awww come on

Quote:
I would say quite doubtful. Maybe if MusePack becomes more widespread. And it would take probably quite a while for AOL Legal to poke it with a stick (Ogg Vorbis was held up for several versions, and it is patent free, and it is currently holding up AAC)
The guys at HA.org certainly don't seem to think that AOL is conducting a very serious check, though I suppose they could be wrong. Prevailing opinion there is that there is no evidence whatsoever to suggest that Ogg is any more patent free than Musepack. Both may be (probably are) totally patent free, but no ones is really sure as of yet (if we are to believe Garf and rjamorim, anyway).
Old 28th August 2003, 03:49   #17
Sawg

I personally though MPC was patented. Guess I was wrong. Either way AOL still needs to approve it and stuff. I'll bring it up next round of requests sent to the Developers on the Beta List (when it is not dead).

In all honestly though, I wouldn't expect to see it any time soon.

(Ogg Vorbis support was added because one of the former plugin developers was a huge Ogg Vorbis fan. AAC support was added for Future SHOUTcast.)
Old 28th August 2003, 04:56   #18
ctkatz8086

ok, seeing as this is sort of the unofficial winamp5 thread, here's my 2 cents:

i basically have another copy of winamp 2.x in terms what it does for me that crashes as often as one of the wa3 480s builds, and i don't need another copy of winamp 2.x. if i did, i would have reinstalled it and called it something else. the one thing that i did want to see work was something russ i believe said was extremely buggy, the freeform skins.

overall, i am not really that impressed with it right now. if it weren't for the fact that it can crash when bringing it up from the background and that apparantly it doesn't like one of my output plugins, i would probably use it as much as i do the leaked wa 2.95. but it is a start. i am the type of person that would rather see what is going on behind the scenes in the initial stages of programs i am going to use, including leaks, rather than hear basically nothing at all. it gives me some physical evidence that there is something going on. now that i have seen what the future is (and it's a pretty good start don't get me wrong), i can wait until the first, completely legal, public beta to come out sometime around the next few monthsdecades.

and to be pretty honest, i think why this extremely-alpha wa5 was released- no news from the homebase.

ctkatz8086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2003, 05:03   #19
music_man_mpc

Quote:
I'll bring it up next round of requests sent to the Developers on the Beta List (when it is not dead).
Thanks a lot!
Old 28th August 2003, 06:21   #20
Dangerous_Jesus

the only thing in WA3 that i liked was the crossfader that was such a nice addition that id like to see in wa5
Dangerous_Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2003, 07:04   #21
Sawg

Preferences (Ctrl-P) > Plug-ins > Output > Double Click "DirectShound output..." > Fading Tab
Old 28th August 2003, 20:31   #22
D&B
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by n0On3
Why don't we call that forum "Winamp7"? seems logical to me
Hahahahaa.
D&B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2003, 21:43   #23
borg123

Can't wait till 5 beta comes out.
just wanna give it a good spin.
borg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2003, 22:06   #24
clownercockwise

I have to admit curiosity got the best of me & I tried the pre-alpha, mostly to see if the "cooperative request outside range" bug was fixed in the media library. It is not.
clownercockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion