Old 8th February 2001, 05:14   #1
Anacific
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Anacific
I'm looking for a firewall that combines options for advanced users and ease of configuration...

so far i've tried NortonIS 2001 and McAfee's firewall. I had a few problems with NIS [here for more: http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=41569 ] and I didn't like McAfee's app [ I just didn't ]

So, what's your advice/choice?

"He who desires but acts not, breeds pestilence." - William Blake
WSPA | WWF | RSPCA | AAPA | Green Peace - Know and help...
The Rainforest Site | The Animal Rescue Site - Click and help...
Anacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2001, 06:39   #2
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

http://www.zonelabs.com
ElChevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2001, 07:05   #3
Brennan
Monkey Hump Master

http://www.sonicwall.com/products/soho/index.html

I hope. I'm getting one tomorrow. The reviews are really good.

--Brennan
Brennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2001, 07:53   #4
randman

Listen to ElChevelle regarding ZoneAlarm. Steve Gibson of Gibson Research http://www.grc.com , says it's the ONLY firewall that has no known vulnerabilities. And this guy knows his stuff. And it's free!
Old 8th February 2001, 16:15   #5
Matt
Banned

Tiny Personal Firewall.
http://www.tinysoftware.com/pwall.php

It's tiny and free, but not too advanced.
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2001, 16:31   #6
Flynnz
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Flynnz Send a message via AIM to Flynnz Send a message via Yahoo to Flynnz
They already said it, but I just wanna stress: ZoneAlarm.

You can read all about firewalls and internet security issues for yourself at (like he said) grc.
Flynnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2001, 17:09   #7
pixelpusher
Major Dude

Hey thats a great site. I like that guy, He's a real kick em in the teeth when he's right kind of guy. Good info. I read the whole atical about real networks. WOW..
I highly suggest reading some of the stuff there.

Oh BTW.. I've been using zonealarm for about two months. I like it. But I don't know how it works or anything so it's good to know someones got my back like this guy.
pixelpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2001, 19:56   #8
Flynnz
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Flynnz Send a message via AIM to Flynnz Send a message via Yahoo to Flynnz
...and better than any commercial firewall software out there.
Flynnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2001, 20:42   #9
Anacific
Major Dude

what i liked about NIS is that it has regular updates..
I'll try zonealarm though

Old 8th February 2001, 21:06   #10
boobless

@guard is the best i've used but tiny personal firewall comes in close 2nd. and zonegizmo is a peice of crap hole software, IMO anyway.
boobless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2001, 21:52   #11
randman

Quote:
Originally posted by boobless
@guard is the best i've used but tiny personal firewall comes in close 2nd. and zonegizmo is a peice of crap hole software, IMO anyway.
IMO your opinion is wrong.
Old 8th February 2001, 22:42   #12
Artoo Detoo

FREESCO is a free linux based router with firewall and all other stuff you need.
You can run it from a singel 3.5" 1.44 Mb disk on a 486 with 6 Mb ram.
It is very easy to configurate if you know the basics in linux. Even a Windows user can learn how tu use this in less than an hour. I confiurated it in 15 minutes the first time I tried it.
You can connect to the firewall with your browser or with telnet to configurate it if you don't have an extra monitor.

The only "bad" thing is that you need a computor to run it with... but hey.. everyone has an old 486 or Pentium... ?

http://www.freesco.org
Artoo Detoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2001, 22:44   #13
mr_sax
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to mr_sax
:(

no no no... all wrong you just don't know hackers do you? NO NO NO! zone alarms does NOTHING to stop hackers from gettin into your comp, no no no... they ask you of coarse, and if there's something like "file sharing" goin out there, then "SCREW YOU" it disconnects you anyways, it's a funny thus crapy program DO NOT get zone alarm!!! Black ICE on the other hand is something I use, it seriously makes you really anonymous, this site tests your comps stuff for if it's anonymous or not or can be hacked? and it said it couldn't find my ports because of a 3rd party firewall, and it couldn't find alot of other things (weird busses) and stuff like that it was really advanced but no, i sat through watching my firewall say "port scan" and stuff and then tell me info about that attack, and yes it updates itself etc...

GREAT firewall - BlackICE will stop all hackers along with telling you everything they do, of which zonealarm lacks, along with BlackICE not stopping any connections (like file sharing and chatting etc) 'cause it knows 'em! zone alarm is pathetic with that... so go to www.blackice.com and download the software ver, you can get a serial # from my site in like a few days for it, and even download the right program for the right serial from my site too! so happy surfing without the hacking problems 'cause ZONEALARM sux and BlackICE is perfect in every way. small, no ram is used (very little), no disconnects, and it tells you the info of the "Attack" that it stopped. thank god i typed this! THANK GOD!

oh yes and i'm a junior member? that means nothing when it gets down to hackers and hacking i know lots. thanks.

mr_sax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2001, 23:07   #14
HardRane

Send a message via ICQ to HardRane
Obviously zxypher hasnt a clue. ZoneAlarm is hands down the best firewall. Every Internet app on my PC is working, yet if you ping me I dont exist. If you port scan me , I dont exist. zonelabs makes an amazing product for free, and I recommend it to anyone with a broadband connection

Ryan "HardRane" Lines
MCP, A+
HardRane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2001, 23:14   #15
randman

zxypher: You aren't extremely well versed when it comes to understanding firewalls, or how to configure your network settings when it comes to "file sharing" IMHO. You apparently were unable (with all your "skillz") to configure ZoneAlarm.

Also BlackIce isn't freeware and you shouldn't be offering to provide "serialz" here. Again IMHO.

(Damn, I'm bitchy today).

[Edited by randman on 02-08-2001 at 06:43 PM]
Old 8th February 2001, 23:22   #16
HardRane

sock'em with the truth randman

edit/ ha ha he said skillz /edit

[Edited by HardRane on 02-08-2001 at 06:44 PM]
Old 8th February 2001, 23:36   #17
Anacific
Major Dude

ok i'm confused now....but keep debating

Old 8th February 2001, 23:42   #18
Matt
Banned

Quote:
'Tiny Personal Firewall.
http://www.tinysoftware.com/pwall.php'
I said earlier
I'll stay to that. GRC likes it and it passed the test. I've also used ZoneAlarm. But this is smaller and good enough for me. (I only just installed it earlier, All this time without a firewall )
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2001, 00:58   #19
Rx

Send a message via ICQ to Rx
I'm fairly new to firewalls, and just installed ZoneAlarm. I'm also an AOL user, and whenever I run ZoneAlarm I can't browse the web. I allowed AOL and IE access to the internet, but I can't go to any websites unless I disable it. How can I prevent that problem, or is the firewall only for inactive use?
Rx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2001, 01:16   #20
mr_sax
Major Dude

yea c that!?!?!?

huh!?!?!? zone alarm is sooo crapy and yes, i know how to config properly, zone alarm still disconnects the hell out of me and other ppl out there (heard of "cable" and other such things like that!?!?) and o yes, pinging is fun isn't it? too bad if you're in a game and someone hasta ping u (UT has to ping the people playing) o won't there b a problem??? ya that would really screw over your stuff... and sorry 'bout serialz i won't do that anymore and skillz is slang, sorry u haven't heard of the stuff...

Old 9th February 2001, 01:20   #21
Rx

Send a message via ICQ to Rx
Quote:
Originally posted by watadoo
Does it only deny you access when you're trying to browse logged on with the AOL client? Can you access the net without launching AOL?
It denies me to access the web everytime I use AOL. I haven't tried using it with any other isp, but Tiny Personal Firewall works just fine for me.
Rx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2001, 02:08   #22
HardRane

yes I have heard the slang skillz... most often used by "31337 h@x0®z" ie : people who just downloaded a port scanner for the first time.

And If you config zonealarm right you can play Unreal fine (ive done it... am I more 31337?)
Old 9th February 2001, 02:26   #23
randman

Quote:
Originally posted by HardRane
yes I have heard the slang skillz... most often used by "31337 h@x0®z" ie : people who just downloaded a port scanner for the first time.

And If you config zonealarm right you can play Unreal fine (ive done it... am I more 31337?)
ROFLMAO! This guy zxypher put the Junior in Junior Member. I think we all know that "skillz" is slang. I just think it's funny anyone thinks it's "kewl" to use it.
Old 9th February 2001, 02:51   #24
lordicarus

Send a message via ICQ to lordicarus
If you want a REAL firewall you need to get your hands on Checkpoint! It is by far the best firewall. Good luck getting it though considering its a few thousand dollars for the cheapest license!
lordicarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2001, 03:18   #25
bonj
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to bonj
Sorry for getting off the subject here, but posting this just seemed too appropriate right now.

heh?
bonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2001, 05:31   #26
HardRane

Sweeet Pic
Old 11th February 2001, 02:50   #27
mr_sax
Major Dude

oh yea gotta love checkpoint

ack no...

um... @randman yo wut the hell is your prob? we talkin about firewall's here or are we just gonna diss the junior member who just started doing this stuff!? oh yea i forgot you so stupid... nm

Old 11th February 2001, 02:59   #28
randman

Quote:
Originally posted by zxypher
um... @randman yo wut the hell is your prob? we talkin about firewall's here or are we just gonna diss the junior member who just started doing this stuff!? oh yea i forgot you so stupid... nm
yo junior, chill. i wuz jes funnin' witch ya. i wuzn't dissin' on ya. peace little bro!

Seriously, anyone who knows me from these forums can tell you I'm actually a fairly nice person. Really. So learn to take a joke and realize that you can't hear the humour in what you or I type. OK?
Old 11th February 2001, 05:50   #29
Bluu

Send a message via ICQ to Bluu Send a message via AIM to Bluu
Soo can anyone direct me to a script that tests these firewalls out?
Bluu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2001, 07:27   #30
randman

Quote:
Originally posted by Bluu
Soo can anyone direct me to a script that tests these firewalls out?
There are a couple of reputable websites that will do a "benign" port scan and give you a report of any ports found to be open.

http://www.grc.com "ShieldsUp" probes a selection of ports. Quick, but not thorough.

http://www.sdesigns.com/securitytest/ This site offers a test that will probe every port on your system. Takes an hour or longer, and they email you the results.
Old 11th February 2001, 07:49   #31
Winsane
Moderator Alumni

Here's the correct URL: http://www.sdesign.com/securitytest/index.html
Winsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2001, 17:34   #32
Bluu

Send a message via ICQ to Bluu Send a message via AIM to Bluu
Cool thanks for the info.
Bluu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2001, 20:18   #33
randman

Whoops! Sorry for entering the link incorrectly. I was tired, and about to go to bed.

(I'll be on the "Idiot Train" if you need me).
Old 12th February 2001, 21:56   #34
mr_sax
Major Dude

ahh yes, that script was a good one... HEH "you're internet connection is the most advanced tested by us, since your configuration has made it so that no hacker could ever get into your computer, this has either been done by an advanced network administrator or done by a firewall, good job!"

yes yes, many times i did test my computer through that first website. my firewall of coarse told me exactly what they were doing as they were telling me, and I knew the timing of how it was being done. that's why I think, and agree that BlackICE is one of the best firewalls you can get out there.

Old 12th February 2001, 22:34   #35
ojms

yeah I use zone alarm and it rocks.
ojms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2001, 01:36   #36
xapec

zone alarm definitly, and if you want to fork out the cash (or find it on a warez site) get pro.
Old 16th February 2001, 04:23   #37
GREEK_MP3

I use BlackIce too, Im happy with it... Takes up zero resources and doesn't cause any problems with my applications...

It is a great port monitor, reports all port probes and attacks... Blocks them too...

You want believe how many port probes I get each day, lotsa subseven ones too by bored kids around the world...

Zonealarm was a headfuck...
Old 16th February 2001, 04:59   #38
mr_sax
Major Dude

yep, i get alot of subseven's by those little children out there, you know who you are! o well i like it just the same, it says all and stops all it needs to stop, and even allows file transfers if it detects that someone is connecting to your comp to download a file from you. great, you like it then?

Old 16th February 2001, 06:28   #39
lordicarus

Send a message via ICQ to lordicarus
The problem with the firewalls you guys are mentioning(BlackICE, ZoneAlarm) you can't manually specify ports to be open or closed. You have to go through a wizard basically(ZoneAlarms) or go with the preset defaults(BlackICE) for which ports are open and closed.

Anyone know of one that is actually realistic to buy(Not like Checkpoint) that allows manual configuration?
lordicarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2001, 09:24   #40
Mr. Ice
Captain Moderator

@Guard. it's by far the best personal firewall i've ever seen. and it even filters banner ads. it's totally configurable too. if you want to open a port, do it. if you want to open a port so that only a single program is authorized to use it, you can. whatever you want, it can do. it's better than zonealarm and blackice. reasons to back that last statement up: when i tested zone alarm it essentially had 2 settings: 1) lockdown all ports. no traffic allowed. period. basically, you have no net connection. kind of a waste if you ask me... 2) open all ports. all traffic allowed. period. basically, you have no firewall. again, kind of a waste. @guard is better than zonealarm because it can open specific ports, addresses, or access by program. (example: netscape can browse the web, but ie can't. very useful for catching all the progams that piggyback access on ie) on to blackice: blackice was more configurable than zonealarm, but it interprets everything as an attack and doesn't block some basic things. if you ping the machine, you're attacking it. this leads newbies to freak out an email sysadmins and waste their time. it's also not the greatest at blocking traffic, but it's better than nothing. @guard doesn't define anything as an attack. it simply logs what went on and leaves it at that. if you want to read the log, so be it. if you want to delete it without ever seeing it, that works too. also, @guard will always catch the traffic, unlike blackice which can let some things slip by.

since the sheild's up site from grc.com seems to be the thing used to define the quality of a firewall here, i took my computer there to get "tested". it found a single open port (my web server). everything else was stealth. had i not been running a webserver, i would have been completely stealth. and on top of that, i have no problems playing quake, unreal tournament, or anything else online. (with the firewall enabled...)

the bottom line is: get @guard. you won't be dissappointed.

/dev/null
Mr. Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions