Old 16th May 2007, 22:16   #1
protegechris
Forum Queen

Airport/Airplane security restrictions..

I'm flying from DFW to Louisville Kentucky this weekend.. americanairlines

I'm wondering.. what is the policy on laptops? Can I take it and USE it during the flight or what? I haven't flown since 2003 or so. Anything else I should be aware of?

yeah, i'm back.
protegechris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2007, 22:46   #2
mikm
Major Dude

I'm pretty sure you can use it provided that wireless stuff is off.

powered by C₂H₅OH
mikm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2007, 22:48   #3
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to k_rock923
You can use it. I did the last time I flew somewhere - Rochester to Kennedy.

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
k_rock923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2007, 23:58   #4
Jay
Moderator Alumni

i'll back that, I fly quite a bit and the only thing you have to worry about is making sure that it isn't transmitting a signal. Also you cannot use it during take-off and landing. When going through security be ready to remove the laptop from any case and put it through the machine seperately from the rest of your stuff.
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2007, 00:11   #5
Bilbo Baggins
Wind Chime of the Apocalypse

Its those packets of semtex strapped to your waist you gotta be careful of protege.
Bilbo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2007, 01:23   #6
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

Laptops on flights
Lapdances on flights
ElChevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2007, 03:44   #7
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by ElChevelle
Lapdances on flights
Unless it's Southwest Airlines....that could be truly scary..... But then what did you expect for $69 round trip?...

I read someplace that they were going to start to let you use wireless and your cell phone on a flight. I think the cellphone idea is truly bad. It's irritating enough to be crammed in like sardines, without people having cell phones.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2007, 04:49   #8
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

I think you're right, RoH. I vaguely remember reading about that on /.

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
Old 17th May 2007, 12:07   #9
P$ycHo™
Flakmonkey!

the problem with mobile phones is that they try to connect themselves to the stations on the ground and so they have to send with much power. i heared about a project to build a station into the plane. the phones then only had to send some meters - with less power which means less iritations. the same would be possible for wlan ,too.
P$ycHo™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2007, 13:03   #10
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

People using cellphones on planes?
I was going to use a statement here about planes and things that make loud noises and cause planes to descend rapidly in pieces but I'm sure the feds would drag me off to Gitmo.
Old 17th May 2007, 15:39   #11
rockouthippie
Banned

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...w131342D88.DTL

It looks like not for now.

"The idea of a person being a captive audience to someone yapping on the phone is simply a recipe for a lot of anger and a fair share of conflicts,"

Ya think?. It is kind of weird though, the FCC usually would make such a rule for communications reasons, but it seems to be taking into account the human element more than the technology.

I've used a cell phone in a private plane before, it was an old analog one. The problem wasn't the phone using too much power, it was that it tried to connect to a bunch of towers at up to 100 miles away... all at once....
Old 19th May 2007, 03:22   #12
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
Quote:
Originally posted by Jay
i'll back that, I fly quite a bit and the only thing you have to worry about is making sure that it isn't transmitting a signal. Also you cannot use it during take-off and landing. When going through security be ready to remove the laptop from any case and put it through the machine seperately from the rest of your stuff.
This is my experience too. I travel by air only about 4-6 times a year, but not too much has changed since my last flight in March, where this was the case.

Cell phones don't need to be used in planes. The planes already have their own phones for urgent calls. All other calls can wait.

Don't forget to live before you die.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2007, 05:47   #13
protegechris
Forum Queen

I got the travel sized containers and stuff for stuff, but what about deodorant, can I take full sized things as far as that goes? I leave for DFW in 2 hours

yeah, i'm back.
Old 19th May 2007, 14:06   #14
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

I took a regular sized old spice deodorant in my carry on bag last time.

Old 19th May 2007, 16:26   #15
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

You terrorist, you.
Old 19th May 2007, 16:43   #16
Wolfgang
Forum King

They made me switch my laptop on last time I went through Houston.
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2007, 02:32   #17
henry3k56
Forum King

Funny. Seeing as I went out of the continent back in December/January, and they never bothered me for anything.

I packed a MacBook, iPod, and two digital cameras in my pack. Clothes and toiletries in my two checked bags got lost on the trip (damn Delta) and I was forced to purchase a set to make it for the day until I got my bags.

Also if you wear a belt, just stash it in your backpack until after security...

I expect I won't be bothered at all when I travel next week to yet another continent.

BTW, I'm back...

henry3k56 | Summer is here.
My Flickr Page & Frontierra | Posting Since September 2001.
henry3k56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2007, 03:26   #18
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88 Send a message via Yahoo to MidnightViper88
GODDAMMIT, WHY DIDN'T I CLICK THIS THREAD EARLIER

Where in Louisville are you going to?

"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2007, 10:31   #19
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by henry3k56
I packed a MacBook, iPod, and two digital cameras in my pack.
Good advice, wear a pair of shorts, a t shirt and let them inspect anything else with the xray/explosive scanner. Done in 6 seconds. If you have rolls of film.... say so and hand them to the security. 12 seconds. Airport security is rather sane, unless you are my mom, or a Portland Trailblazer with an ounce of weed wrapped in TIN FOIL in your pants
Old 20th May 2007, 15:16   #20
watadoo
JEDI MASTER

input from two friends of mine who very recently traveled out of the country:

It's one of the rules that people who book last minute, one-way seats get the extra-special, full-on treatment from TSA. I've just discovered (the hard way) that if you miss a connection and your airline books you on another airline to pick up the thread of your trip, that new booking is - ta-da! - a last minute, one way ticket. If the rebooking is tight enough you can just barely make your new connection after TSA has wasted 15 minutes examing you and your oh-so-suspicious carry-on luggage.

You'd think the airlines could tell TSA that this apparent
last minute, one way ticket is an artifact of their own problems, but apparently there's no way to do that.

Oh yeah ... then they lose your luggage in the process of
transferring it.

I can now vouch that IF your name doesn't raise any red flags, the easiest airport security around is Tel Aviv. No shoes off. No care if you're carrying a huge bottle of water. They ask you questions, they look at you, they pass your stuff through the machine, they wave you on. Two of our
little group though had names resembling people on the watch list, and they were detained a long time and carefully questioned. I believe the grandparents' names were asked, and what part of the world they lived in.

Sure made London's and US security look like the Potemkin Village it is.

"Which is worse, ignorance or indifference?"

"I don't know, and I don't care."
watadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2007, 17:38   #21
rockouthippie
Banned

My brother in law is on the list. Don't be named David Cohen, John Smith or Joe Johnson. My brother in law, my dentist and a guy I work with. Terrorists all.
Old 20th May 2007, 17:55   #22
watadoo
JEDI MASTER

I got held up for questioning trying to board a plane from sfo to Paris. And my name is about as boring as you can get without dying. william thompson. They actualy told me it was similar to a known terrorist's name. bah, what a crock of shit. oops, I'll probably get held up before my next flight because of this post.

Old 20th May 2007, 18:13   #23
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88 Send a message via Yahoo to MidnightViper88
Quote:
Originally posted by rockouthippie
Don't be named...John Smith
WHITES WAGING JIHAD AGAINST THE NATIVES, HE'S A TERRORIST, GODDAMMIT!

"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
Old 21st May 2007, 04:00   #24
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

Quote:
Originally posted by swingdjted
Cell phones don't need to be used in planes. The planes already have their own phones for urgent calls.
Yeah, at $5.00 per minute.

I've used my mobile phone on many flights. It goes in and out of range, but it's often in range of a transmission tower long enough for a call of reasonable length. I just hold the airline's in-flight phone over my bluetooth earpiece, making it look like I'm using their phone instead of mine. (The in-flight phone is never activated, of course.) Works every time!
ScorLibran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2007, 08:13   #25
protegechris
Forum Queen

I just got back. I was downtown, at the Marriott. I went to a concert on the Belle of Louisville ship.. I was walking around the Market/Muhammad Ali/2nd,3rd,4th,5th street most of the time.

The floor of the hotel I was on caught fire.. REALLY long story aboutthis weekend.. got pulled over.. jesus.

Security at DFW was .. nonexistent. I had four big flasks in my bag along with tons of metal stuff, hair dryer, batteries, chargers, etc.. no questions asked.

Flying back.. they searched my bag, checked the flasks, looked through everything.. yeah.

thanks for all the advice peoples

yeah, i'm back.
Old 21st May 2007, 10:14   #26
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

Hmm...Even if I wanted to put aside the free time and try to meet up with you, I wouldn't have had the will to bother going downtown...

I'm sick of not knowing where the hell to go because of all the damn one-way streets...

Old 21st May 2007, 12:57   #27
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

To get downtown, you only go one way on them anyway, right?

Then the other way to get back?
Old 21st May 2007, 16:32   #28
shakey_snake
Forum Domo

Quote:
Originally posted by watadoo
I can now vouch that IF your name doesn't raise any red flags, the easiest airport security around is Tel Aviv. No shoes off. No care if you're carrying a huge bottle of water. They ask you questions, they look at you, they pass your stuff through the machine, they wave you on. Two of our
little group though had names resembling people on the watch list, and they were detained a long time and carefully questioned. I believe the grandparents' names were asked, and what part of the world they lived in.

Sure made London's and US security look like the Potemkin Village it is.
Biased security practices FTW.

"Not Arab?"
No.
"No Arab stamps on your passport?"
No.
"No problems Sir!"

elevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladylevitateme
shakey_snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2007, 17:16   #29
watadoo
JEDI MASTER

Don't wanna start an Israel thrash, but think about it. A tiny country about the size of Orange co, ca, surrounded by actively hostile neighbors with whom they've been in a constant state of war since 1948 and you're going to bust their chops for profiling these hostile neighbors for extra questioning during airline security checks? How's the weather up there on the happy planet Zolgon?

Old 21st May 2007, 19:19   #30
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

"Arab" isn't the issue. It's the mandates of Islam that tell its followers to carry bombs onto planes. Cited twice in the Quran, non-believers shall be killed.

So I agree with the rampant sarcasm above. Not all Arabs should be scrutinized under a microscope. Muslims are the security issue in airports around the world.

Then again, I'd put anyone religious through a "special" security line at my airport.

"Do you believe in a god?"
Yes.
"Step this way, please..."

And to intercept any potential flamers...
I have no ill will towards Muslims, or any other people of delusion. They just need to be checked more closely, that's all. History holds the proof. Simple. Fair.

I'm a psychosomatic sister running around without a leash.
ScorLibran is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions