Old 29th January 2015, 18:08   #1
sankt

Demise of "small web casters"

With the expiration of the small station PurePlay agreements (SoundExchange) in the USA, what will the industry hold for 2015 and beyond.

I am surprised that some enterprising company has not set up shop beyond the reach of the royalty pirates in the USA and offered to host and stream the content.

Remember - the key to royalty payment is the origin of the content - not the location of the business.

In the 70's - several large broadcasters set up legal and licensed transmitters just across the mexican border to escape the clutches of the FCC. The high power Mexican " border blasters " managed to cover large parts of the USA at night and gave birth to the great DJ Wolfman Jack. It was a diplomatic ruffling of feathers that clipped the wings of the border blasters and enacted power limitations for North American AM stations.

Scenic Television is your ambient window to the world - - Television.ScenicRadio.com
sankt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2015, 22:35   #2
n2play

A significant difference with the old pirate stations is that their activity AND business occurred in Mexico, only their signal drifted over the border.

With online streaming, even if the content is hosted where it's safe, conducting any business from where it's not is risky. But the bigger problem is that such a service even if they offer free ad-supported service they would likely need to offer pro services to remain viable, and that's where the snag hits. They would be blocked from all of the main payment providers and many people would have difficulty or not trust going through some out-of-country payment service.
n2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2015, 01:06   #3
sankt

The border blaster AM stations in Mexico were not pirates. They were licensed legitimate businesses that operated in Mexico.

If a business operates within the rule of law stipulated by its host country, under WIPO (World Intellectual Property Organization) - they cannot be touched and any internationally services offered cannot be denied to them.

The United States passed legislation to outlaw Internet gambling, and used those laws to attempt to shut down fully recognized and legitimate Internet companies in Antiqua. Antique took the matter to WIPO and received a 21 million dollar sanction from the United States.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antigua

The United States can lodge formal diplomatic protests or address the issue within the confines of WIPO, however they cannot interfere or attempt to discriminate against a legitimate business located in another country - end of story.

Scenic Television is your ambient window to the world - - Television.ScenicRadio.com
Old 10th February 2015, 20:00   #4
n2play

The gambling sites are a great example of what I was talking about. Yes, the US cannot regulate Non-US gambling sites but they can regulate US citizens. As a US citizen I am going to find it pretty hard to fund any play since I can't use my card, PayPal or other major funding methods.

As a US citizen I cannot make my living (openly) from running an online gambling site or other content not allowed in the US, even if it is hosted where it is legal.
n2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2015, 00:54   #5
sankt

To the best of my knowledge, the US copyright board, RIAA or the US congress has not initiated legislation to prevent US Citizens from broadcasting from foreign soil. The only foreseeable way they could accomplish that would be to declare the broadcast a threat to national security. It would take the government a lengthy stretch to twist things around to fit that requirement. (Unless the broadcast was actually used for anti-american activity - such as Daesh or Al Qaeda.)

Old 14th February 2015, 21:33   #6
voodoohippie

Send a message via Yahoo to voodoohippie
There are FREE Streaming sites outside of the us. Radioo.cz (just have to use a translater), L i s t e n 2 m y r a d i o . c o m and myradiostream which (though they have their limits) are FREE. If things got so bad I'd just use those services and use my Shouturl link to re route everything to a site across the globe and keep rocking. Even go part 15 FM Transmitter or possibly Pirate FM Radio but with low power about 2 miles or so. Where there is a will there is a way. VPN's also anonymize your connection so long as you don't use a USA based VPN. I don't think they want to try and make things that bad for Internet Radio cuz I'm sure lots of people will take their chances with a foreign server. Not only that but some Bittorrent sites are also getting into the Shoutcast hosting business. Yes its Shoutcast V1.9.8 but its still very useable. So like I said Internet Radio will not die for the hobbyist it will just be more underground and more interesting.

Great Broadcasting Software Windows XP/7/8
http://nextkast.com

For Progressive Rock, Classic Rock http://thelegacy.shorturl.com
voodoohippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2015, 00:57   #7
dopelabs
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to dopelabs
there will be no demise of small web casters. in reality it all boils down to the resources needed to enforce any royalties laws put in place.

there are already plenty of paid and free hosting providers that are non US, and nothing is stopping people from using them instead of a US based hosting provider.

oh.. and a vpn doesnt really 'anonymize your connection', only masks your true (origin) host :P
dopelabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Discussions