X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DarkFears
    • Sep 2011

Ignorant microsoft

I am one of those idiots that blindly got wrapped up in a windows phone 7 device, I checked it out at the store and fell in love with the layout and many other seemingly flawless features (the touch detection is simply the best hands down imo) but forgot to look at everything else because I assumed a software giant like microsoft would have included/developed these features already. Boy was I wrong. So awhile back I got really really worked up about the whole "mango is coming mango is coming hooray for jesus... i mean mango" fiasco and sent them an email explaining how I felt considerably shorted by a phone os which falls so far short of any expectations it is ridiculous.

No MMS? wtf? no flash support? wtfwtf!? no custom ringtones?****** WTF? really? Are they doing an outreach vocational jobs program for the mentally disabled out there? who made this? The list is so insanely long.

Then they make this big holy grail bs about mango update claiming 500 updates and additions, but they only give u a list of about 20 or so, and the most important stuff isnt on there. then they give this vague date of "in fall" and tell you it will be available then but really it might not be depending upon how fast the manufacturers are at approving it.... im getting pissed again...

Anyways, they never wrote me back, so Microsoft is now on my shitlist.
  • sgtfuzzbubble011
    • Jun 2000

I bought a WP7 (LG Quantum) back in late January. This was an upgrade from my old Windows Mobile 6 phone (Motorola Q9h) that I bought back in 2006 (got my money's worth out of that phone ). While I totally agree with your frustrations, I've found my phone to be very capable in most respects. There are a few hardware changes that I would have liked to see implemented, but we're not really discussing the phone so much as the operating system on it.

The lack of being able to set custom ringtones was a stupid decision (in my opinion). I'm sure MS has some ridiculous reason for it, but I'm not sure what it is. I've been told that it was to prevent "copyright infringement" or whatever. Yeah, a custom ringtone is suddenly copyright infringement even though I've been putting custom ringtones on my phones since I got a Nokia 5165 almost 10 years ago.

I'm not sure what you mean by "no MMS." I can easily send images and such through the Messaging hub on my phone. And it actually works quite nicely.

And as far as flash support... I personally hate flash (and most other Adobe products), and I wish flash would just die off completely. So no native flash support isn't a big deal for me. If I want to watch YouTube videos on my phone, I can use the crappy YouTube app that MS provides (yeah, it's horrible, but it works for the most part). There are other apps for that in the marketplace, but they all either have ads everywhere or they cost money. I'm a cheap bastard and I refuse to let ads onto my phone. I'm subjected to advertising all day every day in hundreds of different ways, and I won't allow my phone to become another one.

In MS' defense, WP7 has lots of great qualities. Take Bing Maps for example. On my phone, it works flawlessly. It's much smoother and more responsive than Google Maps is even on my computer at home, and that's impressive to me. Voice search is awesome, too.

I'm looking forward to Mango, but I'm not going to hold my breath. If it makes my phone better, then I'll consider it a nice bonus.

Comment

• DarkFears
      • Sep 2011

I completely agree on the bing maps. I meant video mms. It is a great os in many aspects but at the same time it just leaves out alot. I'm not huge on flash either, unfortunately alot of what I want to watch on websites are flash. Another big headache for me is not being able to use the phone as a USB drive, no tethering support, not being able to purchase and download music except through Zune, not being able to download movies or basically anything that isn't through the marketplace. Not being able to connect to hidden ssid hotspots (which the majority of the att hotspots in my area are hidden ssid) i find it to be a bit constricting. The main reason I am so incredibly frustrated is that i love my wp7, i think the windows phone 7 platform is a much needed alternative to Android, i just wish there was so much more.

Comment

• rockouthippie
        Banned
        • Jun 2004

And as far as flash support... I personally hate flash (and most other Adobe products), and I wish flash would just die off completely.
        I have a feeling that Microsoft and Apple shying away from the flash player is due to it being a piece of shit. The Android implementation sure isn't entirely stable.

I am not a Mac fanboy, but I'd buy an iphone first, an Android second, and I wouldn't bother with Microsoft. Too little too late. If I were to buy a smartphone today, it would be an iphone.

Ask me in a year, it might be an Android phone. I can't see a future for Windows Phone. Call me a Zune.

Comment

• sgtfuzzbubble011
          • Jun 2000

I read an article on a tech blog a few days ago stating that MS is in the process of rolling out the Mango update for WP7. I haven't gotten it yet, but I'm looking forward to seeing all that it offers.

My girlfriend just got a new Android phone (Galaxy S 2 on Sprint) earlier this week. I haven't really messed with it much, but it looks awesome. Needs a keyboard, though. If I didn't have a WP7, I'd get an Android for sure. But I'll drop back down to a feature-phone before buying anything that starts with "i"... To each their own.

Comment

• Too-DAMN-Much
            The Big Bad Boots
            (Forum King)
            • Dec 2003

and this ladies and gentlemen is the prime reason why no matter what phone you're shopping for, you're shopping for a motorola in the end.

in other words, this entire thread can be summed up wholly by the following sentence:
            go android, or go home crying.
            I hate everyone, so you don't have to.

Comment

• Warrior of the Light
              Forum King
              • Aug 2002

It all depends on what you intend to do with it.
              I have a Nokia 2600 and all I really wish for is a qwerty keyboard
              Jesus loves you [yes, you] so much, he even died for you so that you will not need to die, but live forever

Comment

• Too-DAMN-Much
                The Big Bad Boots
                (Forum King)
                • Dec 2003

it's good at making calls too!

i admit, at least my motorola isn't the best in the keyboard department, since of course it has absolutely none in the hardware department.

but... honestly, only thing that comes close to me loving it as much as my DROID X? the motorola a1200 i used to have and that is at least partially because it was the only clamshell touchscreen phone i could ever find.
                I hate everyone, so you don't have to.

Comment

Working...
                X