Old 6th January 2015, 07:51   #1
radioj

Help - How To Install SC_Trans.exe ?

After days of working on this, watching youtube help, reading the forums, faq, etc I am stumped.

How does one install sc_trans.exe ? I cannot find it anywhere with in the installation c:\shoutcast folder. I did builder.bat to build the conf files for dnas (that is running) and transcoder conf but I am stumped on being able to find sc_trans.exe

I am attempting to install this on a VPS 2008 R2. Thanks you.

What I'm needing to do is install SC so I can have an encoder (Edcast) at a "remote" location push me their feed so my automation will connect to SC to stream the feed.
radioj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2015, 11:45   #2
DrO

sc_trans is not officially provided / supported since a year ago. so if you cannot get it working / installed then I'm sorry but there's little that can be done on here.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2015, 12:01   #3
jaromanda
Forum King

If you find the transcoder somewhere - the documentation still exists http://wiki.shoutcast.com/wiki/SHOUT...S_Transcoder_2

"If you don't like DNAS, write your own damn system"

So I did
jaromanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2015, 12:40   #4
DrO

which is the same as is included with the last sc_trans release from over 3 years ago...
Old 6th January 2015, 12:46   #5
jaromanda
Forum King

someone may have the executable without all the help files

also, looking at the documentation may make him realise he's in over his head and he'll look for something that's supported instead

So I did
Old 7th January 2015, 03:37   #6
radioj

well...I'm not so sure this is "over my head" as you say Jaromanda...I just need some communication / documentation on how to get this set up. Reading the documentation it seemed had to use SC_Trans...is this not the case? What is "supported" anyway?

Is the only option to install Winamp and DSP on the client computer and use that to push the stream?

Which port below does the "source" connect to?

[MICROSERVER] Listening for source and client connections on port 8076
[MICROSERVER] Listening for legacy source connections on port 8077
[MICROSERVER] Flash policy file server not enabled << does this mean the server is not running? How to resolve?
<< nothing else below last entry in the log file >>

Conf file looks like this..
password=abc123 (not real pass)
adminpassword=def123 (not real pass)
portbase=8076
requirestreamconfigs=1
logfile=sc_serv.log
w3clog=sc_w3c.log
publicserver=never
banfile=sc_serv.ban
ripfile=sc_serv.rip
maxuser=5
streamid=1

Since this is Shoutcast v2 in Edcast and SAM it is looking for a Username but I don't see where one was set in the conf file...did I miss something in the builder?

The documentation made it seem like I had to set up and use SC_Trans to receive the incoming stream as the DNAS is the server to "push" the stream out to my automation system - stationplaylist - connects via URL.

I have read http://wiki.shoutcast.com/wiki/SHOUT..._Started_Guide but it seems if the transcoder (sc_trans.exe) is not available/supported anymore then just how can someone who uses Edcast connect?

The client uses Edcast so that can push to the server, just need a little direction, not asking someone to "do it for me".

Thanks.

PS: I remember back in the day setting up Shoutcast on my XP box so I could "stream" (private feed) a radio feed so I could listen to my favorite local radio station when away. Accomplished that using DSP plugin and "linein" switch.

Last edited by radioj; 7th January 2015 at 04:48.
Old 7th January 2015, 05:01   #7
jaromanda
Forum King

so, no, you don't need sc_trans for what you want to do

look in the documentation that came with DNAS - it's dead simple to setup DNAS. As edcast does not support DNAS v2, make sure you read up on legacy v1 client options ...

apparently the "next release" of DNAS v2 will be even easier for legacy v1 clients

So I did
Old 7th January 2015, 05:29   #8
radioj

Thank you. I guess I made it harder than it was. It was simple and I had it set the whole time, just couldn't seem to figure out how to connect until a few moments ago. I was able to connect.

I have it running in console-mode but sure would like to get it set up as a service.
Old 7th January 2015, 13:06   #9
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioj View Post
Reading the documentation it seemed had to use SC_Trans...is this not the case?
the docs on the wiki relate to v2.0 and not recent releases and when v2.0 was released, sc_trans was preferred. however every DNAS release comes with a copy of documentation that is correct for that specific release. the wiki will be updated by someone, but it's always best to refer to what's provided with the DNAS version that is being used.

Quote:
What is "supported" anyway?
only the DNAS and the Source DSP. sc_trans is not, it will not see any updates / bug fixes /etc.

Quote:
Is the only option to install Winamp and DSP on the client computer and use that to push the stream?
that is only one possible source option. there's many different sources out there.

Quote:
Which port below does the "source" connect to?
it depends on the source software being used and what SHOUTcast protocol it is using. generally 2.x sources connect on 'portbase' and 1.x sources connect on 'portbase+1'.

Quote:
[MICROSERVER] Flash policy file server not enabled << does this mean the server is not running? How to resolve?
that means it's running fine for how it's been configured. the Flash policy file server aspect is a means to make it possible for better Flash based client players but you generally have to open another port and there's little interest to do such things with the ever growing usage of HTML5 audio based players.

Quote:
Since this is Shoutcast v2 in Edcast and SAM it is looking for a Username but I don't see where one was set in the conf file...did I miss something in the builder?
you can leave it blank as there's nothing in the DNAS to specify a username, it's just something that can be provided by a source to indicate a specific DJ.

Quote:
I have read http://wiki.shoutcast.com/wiki/SHOUT..._Started_Guide but it seems if the transcoder (sc_trans.exe) is not available/supported anymore then just how can someone who uses Edcast connect?
you just connect the source directly to the DNAS, the same as how the defunct sc_trans did.

Quote:
I have it running in console-mode but sure would like to get it set up as a service.
run sc_serv.exe /? to see what commands are needed to run it in service mode (or consult the section in the docs provided with the DNAS).
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Technical Support