Old 11th August 2005, 20:05   #1
sandyh

Shoutcast in linux

Am installing shoutcast in linux SuSE 9.2. Have a problem using the XMMS player. Somehow the fonts won't show up. Can't read anything anywhere in the player. Is there another player that I could use to install the DSP Plugin into, or is there a way that I could bypass having a player all together? Any help is greatly appreciated.
sandyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2005, 20:43   #2
drewbar
Sawg 2.0
Major Dude

The SHOUTcast DSP works on Winamp only, under Windows.
There is no offical DSP for XMMS.
As well, XMMS is not supported here.

So, I am not exactly sure what you are getting at.

Count with us!
Jan 1st, 12AM (PST, GMT -8) 2010 - 282,246
drewbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2005, 23:32   #3
sandyh

I just got the idea from your website. It recommends using XMMS for the player in shoutcast for linux because winamp won't work in linux. Also, I read somewhere that the guys who developed XMMS got the idea from winamp and based it around that. So when I read the following from your website I put 2 and 2 together, but I may have gotten 6. I just assumed that the dsp worked in xmms for linux. This is what was on the shoutcast website in the downloads section.
Download the SHOUTcast DSP Plug-In for Mac OS X, Linux and FreeBSD
This archive is for advanced users who wish to source content on their Mac OS X, Linux or FreeBSD servers and feed the audio into a SHOUTcast DNAS instead of using Windows. The Linux version permits input from a soundcard in addition to MP3 files on disk. Please refer to the example .conf file included with the archive for more information on using this beta unsupported method of broadcasting.
OK so I am really confused now. How can I get this DSP to work in linux without using a player? I really appreciate all your help. I am stuck.
Old 12th August 2005, 00:13   #4
drewbar
Sawg 2.0
Major Dude

That is a command line utility that runs from the command line, it is not a XMMS DSDP plug-in. You need to run it from a terminal window.

Count with us!
Jan 1st, 12AM (PST, GMT -8) 2010 - 282,246
drewbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2005, 07:45   #5
Evil Lu
Forum Maitresse

I've managed to get shoutcast dnas and dsp running under WINE, mainly as I am a dunce at Linux
Evil Lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2005, 15:09   #6
sandyh

OH thank you guys. Have been wandering around trying to get xmms to work for days because I thought I had to have it. Somebody told me somewhere that was how it works. Can I have some how to's here. Both in how to run it form the command line and just in case (because I am a linux dunce too) how to use it in WINE. Have had no experience with even knowing what WINE does, let alone how it works. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Was getting ready to giveup on using shoutcast, and it has proved out with a lot of testing out other stations that are using it, to be by far one of the best streaming programs Ive run into. You have no idea how I appreciate your help.
Old 12th August 2005, 15:12   #7
Evil Lu
Forum Maitresse

Install wine, I can't recall what file manager Suse uses, but you can get the stuff from here. http://www.winehq.com/ and it explains how it works.
Old 12th August 2005, 16:31   #8
sandyh

Thanks so much. I'd really like to try first just running it from the command line. I read up a little on wine, and if I understand it right have to have some windows involve which is one issue we are trying to avoid. If I run it from the command line, how would I go about doing that? THink that I can install it without any problem, but what do I do from there. Thank you.
Old 12th August 2005, 16:37   #9
Evil Lu
Forum Maitresse

A jolly nice chap from here (Bored Womble) gave me a config file thingy for Icecast, I'm not sure how it works as I got scared of the commandlines and ran away. Anyhow, I shall paste it here and hope it helps.

Icecast is completely command line

If you take the config, save it into a file, puttin the IP and Port where needed, then you should be able to do

./icecast -c <filename>

you need to change the path as to where /web /docs and /admin are located, then it should fire up

--- config begin ---

<icecast>
<limits>
<sources>1</sources>
<threadpool>10</threadpool>
<queue-size>102400</queue-size>
<client-timeout>30</client-timeout>
<header-timeout>15</header-timeout>
<source-timeout>10</source-timeout>
<burst-on-connect>1</burst-on-connect>
<burst-size>65535</burst-size>
</limits>
<authentication>
<admin-user>admin</admin-user>
<admin-password>admintest</admin-password>
</authentication>
<hostname><Your IP ADDRESS HERE></hostname>
<listen-socket>
<port><Your Port here></port>
</listen-socket>
<mount>
<source-password>testing</source-password>
<relay-password>testing</relay-password>
<mount-name>/wombles</mount-name>
<username>source</username>
<password>testing</password>
<max-listeners>10</max-listeners>
<burst-size>65536</burst-size>
</mount>
<fileserve>1</fileserve>
<paths>
<basedir>/test/</basedir>
<logdir>/</logdir>
<webroot>/test/web</webroot>
<adminroot>/test/admin</adminroot>
<pidfile>/test/icecast.pid</pidfile>
<alias source="/" dest="/status.xsl"/>
</paths>
<logging>
<accesslog>/logs/logfile</accesslog>
<errorlog>/dev/null</errorlog>
<loglevel>1</loglevel>
</logging>
<security>
<chroot>0</chroot>
<!--
<changeowner>
<user>nobody</user>
<group>nogroup</group>
</changeowner>
-->
</security>
</icecast>

-- <config end >
Old 12th August 2005, 17:03   #10
sandyh

OK, Whoa! I am going to use shoutcast, not icecast. Sorry. That was a lot of trouble. Or do you mean that this is what I would do for shoutcast, something similiar.
Old 12th August 2005, 17:17   #11
Evil Lu
Forum Maitresse

I'm not sure, that's why I went the WINE route, there are a fair few Linux people here though, so sit tight and I am sure one of them will offer better advice than mine
Old 12th August 2005, 21:50   #12
sandyh

I had an idea. The reason that we wanted to use linux instead of windows is that we have had such a bad time with viruses and other nasties that we've picked up because of being online 24/7 with DSL. Is there a way that we can put winamp and the plugin on one computer. Play from our broadcast computer into that computer. Relay from the windows compouter with winamp to the computer with shoutcast on it and not have the winamp computer online. In other words can we put winamp on one computer and go from it to the shoutcast computer directly in some way without going online between the two. That way the only computer that will be online will be the linux computer with shoutcast on it. Hope that isn't confusing. If there is a way to work this out we have it made. That would be wonderful.
Old 13th August 2005, 01:43   #13
Tom

You can use sc_trans to source your stream from a linux machine or run Winamp w/ SHOUTcast DSP on a different box (just put the proper IP, port and password in the DSP).

Tom

Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2005, 18:23   #14
F1SH3_RAVER

Send a message via AIM to F1SH3_RAVER
Still linux, Fedora Core 3 (not SuSE)

I am in the process of setting up a Linux box running Fedora Core 3, using the Sc_trans, and Sc_serv on the box. (Live audio feed to be broadcast on the Station.)

I would like to set it up so that when a listener tunes in, they hear an intro / Station ID track and then the live audio stream starts up.

If the live show is already in progress, I don't want it to interrupt the live feed.

Is this possible?

Thanks,

Fisher
F1SH3_RAVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2005, 18:34   #15
F1SH3_RAVER

I found it... nevermind... This might even be a cross post kinda thing. Sorry.

<<Quoting from Spaceplay on another thread.>>
check your dnas configuration.
if you scroll down a bit you will find a part where it says

; IntroFile can specify a mp3 file that will be streamed to listeners right
; when they connect before they hear the live stream.
; Note that the intro file MUST be the same samplerate/channels as the
; live stream in order for this to work properly. Although bitrate CAN
; vary, you can use '%d' to specify the bitrate in the filename
; (i.e. C:\intro%d.mp3 would be C:\intro64.mp3 if you are casting at 64kbps).
; The default is no IntroFile
; IntroFile=c:\intro%d.mp3

delete the ; before the last line and do as it says , make sure your intro file is at the exact same bit and sample rate as your stream.
Old 2nd September 2005, 19:47   #16
md2020

i'm running win XP and i also have a core3 linux box somewere else. now i probably have the thought process wrong on how all of this is going to work, so thats why i'm finally posting. i'm tring to stream a live broadcast from the XP machine to the linux server. now i can get both to play mp3's, but thats not what i'm tring todo. i want to playmusic from turntables -> to sound card on XP machine -> to linux server -> then broadcast to listeners.

can someone shead some light on my issue... instructions will help

i can tell you this. in the example.lst file i specified DSP:/dev/audo but get nothing. and on my XP box in winamp i used the ip of the linux machine an a port other than 8000 and it never gets connected.

what am i doing wrong?
md2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2005, 20:10   #17
F1SH3_RAVER

OK, I think I understand what you are trying to do.

On one hand, you could simply hook up the turntables to the linux box. I'm not sure what GUI you are using, on FC3 if you are using KDE, I know that you will need to set your recording levels (I believe it is Kmix) it should work after that.

Did you allow the ports to be opened (Firewall/SELinux) you should have ports 8000 and 8001 open (if those are the ones you are using.)

Without seeing the logfile, there's not much I can tell you other than what I figured out. (Mixer settings... and firewall)

By the sound of it though, it sounds alot like a firewall issue, because Winamp (XP machine) cannot seem to connect to the shoutcast server.

Let me know if this helps.
Fisher
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Technical Support