Old 19th January 2009, 19:06   #1
H Stacks

Chipmunk Sound When Music Is Played

Hello,
I do an online radio show. Everything sounds good on my end but when it's streaming out over the internet it speeds up like a chipmunk. Sometimes I have trouble connecting also. Any suggestions?
H Stacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2009, 21:37   #2
fc*uk

If you are using an intro file, the bitrate and sample rate of the intro file must match the bitrate and sample rate of the stream exactly.

The majority of the time the problem you are having is caused by the use of an improperly encoded intro file.
fc*uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2009, 23:11   #3
H Stacks

1st...thanks so much for you prompt reply.
Unfortunately i am extremely new to this "game", so if I could ask that you simplify your response to that of a 2 yr old. lol.
I do not know what an Intro File is.
Where would I find what my Bitrate and Sample rate is?

Again thank you so much. I have been trying to troubleshoot on my own and with the "Host" of the website (www.worldfamousradio.com) for weeks now much to no avail.
Old 20th January 2009, 00:04   #4
Brutish Sailor
Major Dude

Send a message via Skype™ to Brutish Sailor
After some exstensive googling, this is how I understand it. Pros feel free to correct me.
<---beginner too

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Edit: a more detailed diagram.
This is assuming you are broadcasting through a web host.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is awesome, and I'll tell you why.

The best part of streaming music is the buffer. If I'm streaming toons, your computer has a delay from my broadcast. This way if their is a small interruption in my stream, your music is unaffected, as the buffer compensates.

So, many of you ask ,"why do I get a chipmonk sound when you go live?"

The 1 represents where (listener) tuned in the stream.
------- Is the stream
+++++++ Is where I broke the stream to go live (auto DJ from web host interface or another DJ)
______________Nothing. Just for diagraming purposes

-Auto DJ- - I cut off auto DJ- -I start streaming-
--------------------------++++++++----------------
---1----------------------------++++++++----------------
started listening here

This is a guy that's been listening for a while, his stream is unaffected due to the buffer.

-Auto DJ- -auto DJ cutoff- -I start streaming-
-------------------------+++++++ ------------------
-----------------------1+++++++++-------------------
_____________________ buffer isn't that great

This guy just tuned in as I was switching over to the live show. without a good buffer, his stream is trying to "catch up" with the info I just started streaming. This leads to "chip monk" sound.

So this guy gets a weak stream to start and has to disconnect, and reconnect to get a good stream

-Auto DJ- -I cut off auto DJ- -I start streming
----------------------------intro--------------------
--------------------------1--intro----------------------
_________ Same guy tuning in right before I start streaming

The intro basically bridges the auto DJ cutoff to my streaming start. That way no break in the buffer. This makes better streaming.

This will also solve the problem where all your players "stop" when I start streaming live.

I just kinda threw this together. Is this correct?

KNSJ.org 89.1 FM San Diego

Last edited by Brutish Sailor; 20th January 2009 at 02:26.
Brutish Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2009, 00:06   #5
Brutish Sailor
Major Dude

Let me try to edit to fix my diagrams. One sec.

Old 20th January 2009, 00:19   #6
Brutish Sailor
Major Dude

The variable is the Auto DJ (that's how it is in my issue)

For others that can be replaced with "another DJ" or whatever.

EDIT. The intro file requirements.

keep in mind if you are making a self spoken MP3 intro: YOU REALLY need to get some sampling software.

Im becoming a HUGE fan of Koyote soft. (not advertising for it, just really like the software.)

they have a very easy to operate sampler for computer dummy's like myself. free trial too.

As far as editing your sample to make it work for an intro file, 1 BIG thing I missed with all the FAQ's...

Most FAQ's talk about just Identifying the file to match the stream. Like so,

When the source stream reconnects, the listeners are rejoined into the live broadcast. The backup file MUST be the same samplerate/channels as the live stream in order for this to work properly. Although the bitrate CAN vary, specify the bitrate in the filename (i.e. /home/user/radio/intro%d.mp3 would be /home/user/radio/intro32.mp3 if you are casting at 32kbps)

What they don't emphasize is the CHANNEL must match too. What is the channel? Mono, Stereo, ect. I didnt figure it out for 6 hours of taking my station on and off of dead air.
all 2 of my listeners (who listen out of pity for me LOL)were disappointed.

So you get the drift.

Last edited by Brutish Sailor; 20th January 2009 at 00:42.
Old 20th January 2009, 01:42   #7
H Stacks

thanks!!!
Gonna have to decode the diagram and some how put everything into action...
Old 20th January 2009, 01:44   #8
fc*uk

To the OP, if you don't know what an intro file is, then I am going to assume that you are not using one.

Try to update your mp3 codecs and see if that gets your problem sorted. Tell me what OS you are using and I can be of more help to you.
fc*uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2009, 02:40   #9
H Stacks

Again I must apologize. I can understand how frustrating dealing with someone like me is. I must emphasize, I am admittin COMPLETE IGNORANCE when it comes to computers, internet, Mp3s and such. I am a hip hop DJ. I come from the Beastie Boy era of two turntables and a microphone...literally. (even tho Im only 25 lol that hip hop era is my mindstate that i am trying to branch out of)

I have no idea what a Mp3 Codec is. Let me give you my set up and maybe that will help.

I have two turntables and a dj mixer running through an M-Audio Mobile Pre interface, which is hooked up to my PC through a USB cord. I have a pair of MAUDIO Bx5a monitor speakers also hooked up to the interface.

i went to winamp and downloaded shoutcast, the third party server version. when i double click on the winamp icon on my desktop, the black "media player" from winamp comes up along with a box titled shoutcast. when i hit CONNECT on the pop up, the timer begins and I know i am live on the air.

Now, i have had successful shows before but as of lately i am having technical difficulites that range from not connecting at all, to being disconnected in the middle of my show and this damn chipmunk sounding thing where everything that is being broadcasted is way speeded up. and i have changed NOTHING in my set up or settings since the first show.
please PLEASE i implore you to try and work with me to get this problem resolved. I need this so very badly because being a dj is my dream and this is one step closer to it. I am willing to give anybody my phone number to do a walk through. If money is the issue i will even pay someone to help me!!!
THANKS SO MUCH FOR ALL THE HELP!!!!
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Technical Support