X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Carolina07
    • Jul 2007

Winamp will not play my m4a files

I have some .m4a audio files that I'm trying to play in my Winamp player that aren't working. The name of the song will show up on the title bar but the files won't play. It was working fine a couple months ago, so I'm not sure what is happening now. Any suggestions?

Thanks so much!
  • Rocker
    Hiding in plain sight (mod)
    • Jun 2000

are the files corrupted? incomplete?

do they play in windows media player?

have you done anything to the files in the last few months?

Comment

• DJ Egg
      Spectral Techorator
      • Jun 2000

Howzit....Whatzit...what tha...? How to tune up, and keep your Winamp player humming along. Search this Forum to find others who have driven down your road and have advice and tips to help you out.

Winamp version?
      Is the Nullsoft MPEG4 Audio Decoder (in_mp4.dll) present under Prefs > Plugins > Input?
      Are they definitely .m4a and not .m4p ?
      What does it say the audio type is at the top of the file info (Winamp > Playlist entry > right click > View File Info (Alt+3)) for one of these files (copy+paste that section here please)? Does it say ALAC maybe?

Playlist | Twitter | Albums

Comment

• Carolina07
        • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Rocker
        are the files corrupted? incomplete?

do they play in windows media player?

have you done anything to the files in the last few months?
        I don't think they are corrupted...I haven't done anything different to them. They won't play in windows media, but that's because my wmp won't play m4a files anyway.

Comment

• Carolina07
          • Jul 2007

Originally posted by DJ Egg
          http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....161361#plugins
          Winamp version?
          Is the Nullsoft MPEG4 Audio Decoder (in_mp4.dll) present under Prefs > Plugins > Input?
          Are they definitely .m4a and not .m4p ?
          What does it say the audio type is at the top of the file info (Winamp > Playlist entry > right click > View File Info (Alt+3)) for one of these files (copy+paste that section here please)? Does it say ALAC maybe?
          Yes, the Nullsoft MPEG4 Audio Decoder is there. And I'm positive that the music files I'm trying to play are .m4a.

Here is the link of the filename you asked me about...I hope I did this right. lol

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\Carrie pics\Carrie's Demo Music\Cover Songs\__MACOSX\Cover Tunes\._01 Goodbye Earl.m4a

Hmmmm.....

Comment

• DJ Egg
            Spectral Techorator
            • Jun 2000

Alas, that link isn't going to help much.

I meant the file info at the top of the MPEG4 File Info box when you right click the file in the Winamp Playlist and select 'View File Info'

Not the very top line which has the filepath & filename, but the Info just under there, where it says eg.
            code:

Track Type Info
            1 audio MPEG-4 AAC LC, 372.517 secs, 192 kbps, 44100 Hz

Or you could just upload a sample file to eg. sendspace.com or mediafire.com and post the download link here (don't worry if it says 'url submitted by user' in your post here, as that is just part of the forum antispam policy for anyone with a Junior Member status - but admin/moderators can still see the url)

Comment

• Sawg
              Forum King
              • Jun 2000

If it begins with a ._ it isn't an actual file. Those are hiding MacOS files used to contain metadata and file system information about the file. They aren't actual Media Files. The file it's self is probably under a few K.
              | Brought to you by ^V ^C | The one... the original... no seriously!

Comment

• DJ Egg
                Spectral Techorator
                • Jun 2000

Aha!

Comment

• Carolina07
                  • Jul 2007

Thanks guys! I just tried downloading the files over and now they are playing just fine. Go figure! LOL

Thanks again! I appreciate it!

Comment

Working...
                  X